how do you cure the addiction after 1st time?

luckyinpa

i really regret not buying an NCL cruise next certificate because all i could do for weeks after i got back from my 1st cruise was look at prices and plan my next one. i'm going again in a few weeks since DEC is dirt cheap, but now i already started looking at next year and even other lines to see my options out of my local area.

how does one stop this addiction? i fear family and friends will be at home one day with an intervention.

but i need a cure. my gf cannot get off that much time on such short notice so i began asking my friends. thankfully one can go with me next month. but i think i used up my friend allowance and no one will be able to go after this for a while .

i really regret not buying an NCL cruise next certificate because all i could do for weeks after i got back from my 1st cruise was look at prices and plan my next one. i'm going again in a few weeks since DEC is dirt cheap, but now i already started looking at next year and even other lines to see my options out of my local area.

how does one stop this addiction? i fear family and friends will be at home one day with an intervention.

There's only one answer.

More cruises.

Take a close look at your finances and things you need (new car, new roof, remodel the basement....) to see how buying a cruise is hindering you from getting what you need.

SBtS

Take a close look at your finances and things you need (new car, new roof, remodel the basement....) to see how buying a cruise is hindering you from getting what you need.

SBtS

oh i already blew my shower budget on the haven last month :D who needs a shower anyway.

thing is i am looking for better deals to the point of possible a cheap inside on another line, cheap being relative of course. can go 5 days to bermuda for 1300 but with only 25 hours there that seems like a waste. but i scour the sites looking for 'the deal.' knowing there wont be one. i'm blessed in that i will never fly to take a cruise so that limits my options to NY balt boston NJ. i've learned that grandeur is an older boat as is the summit. maybe it's the researching i like :)

I don't have a cure for you (welcome to our disease :D), but I do remember thinking after my first cruise "why did I wait so long to try cruising?".

Roz

There is no cure. We have been on 26 cruises ranging from five days to 15. As soon as we are onboard a ship the first thing we do (actually 2nd. going to the restaurant to check on our table assignment is 1st) is go to the future cruise desk and book at least two cruises. This year we are arguing over if we can squeeze 3 cruises instead of the normal two.

Over the years we have given up a great deal to feed our addiction:

• Our kids wore salvation army clothes
  • we fight with the cat over how much of her Friskies she is going to rebate
  • We are driving a 22 year old car with 250,000 miles
  • We live in a single wide in the back parking lot behind a Starbucks
  • We tried once to book a single and smuggle my wife aboard in a suitcase but got caught

In spite of our sacrifices we continue to feed the need. Warning to all people who have never been on a cruise before. Going on your first cruise can be dangerous to your health and to that of your cat.

Edited by PoppyandNana

Although this won't exactly cure the addiction, it will temporarily put it at bay. Watch "The Titanic" back to back with "The Poseidon Adventure". :D

This "addiction" is a serious problem and can become lifelong and life altering. We got "hooked" back in the mid 70s, and now having been on far more then 100 cruises (and spent over 3 years on ships) we are more addicted then ever. We have long thought that we could break the habit by simply using a lot of alcohol (on ships) but this has not worked.

Hank

I don't have a cure for you (welcome to our disease :D), but I do remember thinking after my first cruise "why did I wait so long to try cruising?".

Roz

There IS a 'cure' ????? LOL !! Your above quote were my wife's exact words on our second cruise on our last night as we sailed up the Mississippi back to New Orleans on the Navigator of the Seas after a seven day cruise. As I walked back into the room she was sitting out on the balcony, enjoying the night, and she said in a low, sad voice, 'WHY did you let me wait SOOOO long to go on a cruise??'. I said gently, ' Well I didn't know if you'd enjoy it or not'. Truth is, she had strongly objected to the idea for almost twelve years after we were married ( she'd seen tooo many episodes of 'Love Boat') and thought that was how people on cruises actually acted :( I actually went behind her back in 2007 and booked a five day cruise on the Carnival Holiday. Now, after fourteen cruises she eagerly looks forward to each upcoming cruise with breathless anticipation. After 2007 she's never looked back. :))

Mac

There IS a 'cure' ????? LOL !! Your above quote were my wife's exact words on our second cruise on our last night as we sailed up the Mississippi back to New Orleans on the Navigator of the Seas after a seven day cruise. As I walked back into the room she was sitting out on the balcony, enjoying the night, and she said in a low, sad voice, 'WHY did you let me wait SOOOO long to go on a cruise??'. I said gently, ' Well I didn't know if you'd enjoy it or not'. Truth is, she had strongly objected to the idea for almost twelve years after we were married ( she'd seen tooo many episodes of 'Love Boat') and thought that was how people on cruises actually acted :( I actually went behind her back in 2007 and booked a five day cruise on the Carnival Holiday. Now, after fourteen cruises she eagerly looks forward to each upcoming cruise with breathless anticipation. After 2007 she's never looked back. :))

Mac

And how many here ALSO fit this overpowering urge ?? :))

Unfortunately, there is only one cure and that is death.:eek:

However, there are several strategies to ease the pain and one of them is to live vicariously through other peoples cruises. The second is to always have another cruise booked, no matter how far into the future it is.:D

I was in a daze of happiness on my first cruise- I couldn't believe what we'd missed all these years! So soon we had three more cruises booked on three different lines...

It took us a while before we settled to one longer cruise on a favoured ship, and kept the short cruises of a week or so to try other lines/ships. Still enjoying the search. :cool:

Haha, for me it wasn't really the first time.. But the second, a few years after my first. My travel friend and I both really wanted to book onto Harmony of the Seas so during our second cruise together we did the book-onboard thing and picked a date for Harmony. A few months later while checking info on Harmony, we accidently booked a 4 day on Majesty... since it was so cheap. And have since now booked our fifth cruise together.