Still Undecided about Dining Plan

Kymnotkim

We have reservations for 4 of the specialty restaurants but haven't purchased the dining plan as of yet because I don't know if we will actually do all 4 reservations. When is the last possible time to sign up for the Dining Plan? Before Embarktion or anytime on the ship?

Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk

We have reservations for 4 of the specialty restaurants but haven't purchased the dining plan as of yet because I don't know if we will actually do all 4 reservations. When is the last possible time to sign up for the Dining Plan? Before Embarktion or anytime on the ship?

SDP Frequently Asked Questions:

https://www.ncl.com/specialty-dining-package/faq

In most cases, the plan saves money over going à la carte. If you have interest in 4 specialty restaurants (based on your reservations) you will likely go to at least 2 of them.

3 meal SDP (when purchased on-board) = $93.22 ($79 + 18%)

2 meals when purchased à la carte can easily total the same as purchasing a 3 mead SDP.

We have reservations for 4 of the specialty restaurants but haven't purchased the dining plan as of yet because I don't know if we will actually do all 4 reservations. When is the last possible time to sign up for the Dining Plan? Before Embarktion or anytime on the ship? Sent from my SM-G906K using Tapatalk

The dining plan will easily pay for itself.

On the other hand, the MDRs are perfectly fine and you really don't need to blow cash on the specialty dining rooms.

In most cases, the plan saves money over going à la carte. If you have interest in 4 specialty restaurants (based on your reservations) you will likely go to at least 2 of them.

3 meal SDP (when purchased on-board) = $93.22 ($79 + 18%)

2 meals when purchased à la carte can easily total the same as purchasing a 3 mead SDP.

Thanks. That is exactly what I am trying to decide. If we only end up going to 1 restaurant then the 3 or 4 meal plan would not be worth it and if we end up going to 2 and have the 4 meal plan then it would not be worth it. Decisions Decisions! :) Our trip is on the Jade and at least I know I can buy a plan as late as the 2nd day of the cruise.

The dining plan will easily pay for itself.

On the other hand, the MDRs are perfectly fine and you really don't need to blow cash on the specialty dining rooms.

Good point. Thanks!

You do save 10.00 pp per package if you pay ahead of time. The 3 day prepay is 69 + 12.42 or 27.14 per dinner. If you wait till on board, it's 79 + 14.22 or 31.07 per dinner. The 4 day prepay is 84 + 15.12 or 24.78 per dinner and 94 + 16.92 or 27.73 per dinner on board.

The on board pricing is only good if you have OBC to burn, otherwise the prepay is a better value. if you're going to go to Moderno or Teppanyaki, then you could just spend the 25 or 30 + 18%. If you're going to go to Le Bistro or Cagneys, then I would invest in the package and prepay it to save a few bucks. You can easily spend 100 per couple in Cagneys if you did a la carte.

You also don't want to drag your feet and wait until day 2 of the cruise to make your decision. Besides paying more for the package, the prime time slots will all be reserved and you'll be stuck eating at 530 or 930 if you can even get a reservation. Some people say that you're "blowing cash" on a specialty, while many enjoy "dining" at Le Bistro or Cagneys while others "eat" at the MDR.

I'm currently on NCL Getaway for my 2nd time. My 1st trip I spent the money on the specialty dining package. This time because I was so impressed with the MDR only have gone to the MDR. I haven't had a bad meal yet. Every night has been a great selection.

We have had a dining plan on our past 4 cruises, but decided we won't do one again. We much prefer the MDR, and also prefer not having to make reservations and adhere to a schedule. The food in the specialties is good, but it isn't anything spectacular that we can't miss.

The food in the specialties is good, but it isn't anything spectacular that we can't miss.

I agree. We were on the Pearl two months ago and received three SDP dinners as part of our cruise. The speciality restaurants were fine but I'm sure glad we didn't pay extra for them.

On the Escape in June I think we will try one of the specialties. Does anyone have a can't miss?

Yes, don't miss Food Republic. It's an a la carte restaurant that isn't covered by SDP. It's arguably the best restaurant at sea. It's open for lunch on sea days, as well as dinner.

Yes, don't miss Food Republic. It's an a la carte restaurant that isn't covered by SDP. It's arguably the best restaurant at sea. It's open for lunch on sea days, as well as dinner.

Have to agree with LrgPizza regarding Food Republic. The lunch time opening though is only from 12 noon to 1:30 and only on sea days. It's closed on embarkation day as well. Dinner opening is from 530-930. If you have the UBP, the Toro Toro is a great spicy tequila based drink.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Have to agree with LrgPizza regarding Food Republic. The lunch time opening though is only from 12 noon to 1:30 and only on sea days. It's closed on embarkation day as well. Dinner opening is from 530-930. If you have the UBP, the Toro Toro is a great spicy tequila based drink.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

I don't think the Jade has the Food Republic. :(

MDR food is most definitely very good, but we had 3 great dinners at the specialities, plus to us it is more like a restaurant feel.

I totally agree. Specialty feel much more like a restaurant dining experience versus a banquet hall. Just my opinion, enjoyed both the food and the experience more.

Based upon my specialty restaurant experience on 14 different ships over 4 different lines, primarily steakhouses, I like to say...

If you want to eat.................go to the buffet.

If you want to eat better....go to the MDR.

If you want to dine...............go to a specialty.

Based upon my specialty restaurant experience on 14 different ships over 4 different lines, primarily steakhouses, I like to say...

If you want to eat.................go to the buffet.

If you want to eat better....go to the MDR.

If you want to dine...............go to a specialty.

Good distinction between 'eating' and 'dining'.