Need help understanding cancellation fee

czst17

Happy New Year all,

I have a 4 nite cruise to Bahamas booked for Jan 9, 2017. I have a viral respiratory infection that I got yesterday and my dr. recommends I cancel. I have cancellation insurance thru insuremytrip.com. Royal Caribbean tells me I am facing an additional $599 cancellation fee because I am cancelling so late.

Really- wow did I miss that! I only paid $761.58.

I don't think they will allow me on the ship with this cough.

Any ideas?? Thought I was paying attention

Thanks, Kathie

Here are the cancellation rules:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=227&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqType=faq

Looks like you will lose the entire cruise fare, minus taxes and fees. They cannot make you pay more than you already have, unless you are dealing with a travel agent that has a separate cancel fee.

Edited by clarea

Thanks Bob- I spoke with 2 different agents and said so it's $599 on top of what I paid and they both said yes! One agent was at the Crown and Anchor phone number. Even the insurance agent was confused.

I saw that on the web site and can't find anything else.

Guess I'll try again

Thanks

Less than 14 days is no refund, except for taxes and fees. So they want to keep your 761.58 and want you to pay 599 extra? They need to look at their policy [emoji848][emoji849]. I am sure more experienced cruisers will chime in. Sorry you have to cancel

Cindy

Edited by sg1phileshipper

Happy New Year all,

I have a 4 nite cruise to Bahamas booked for Jan 9, 2017. I have a viral respiratory infection that I got yesterday and my dr. recommends I cancel. I have cancellation insurance thru insuremytrip.com. Royal Caribbean tells me I am facing an additional $599 cancellation fee because I am cancelling so late.

Thanks, Kathie

Why cancel so soon? You might feel much better in a week

Happy New Year all,

Thanks, Kathie

The most they can collect is the amount you paid. Cancellations under 14 day is 100%. How they could back to you and charge you an additional $599? I think what they mean is you will be charge a cancellation fee of $599 and that will be taken out of the $761 you paid. The difference will be refunded for the port taxes of $162. You then can submit to your insurance $599 penalty from RCI and your insurance will refund you $599. This will make you 100% whole. No where in RCI cancellation policy does it say they will charge you above and beyond what you paid if you cancel your cruise.

Edited by COMBOY

Since you are beyond the "refund" period, I wouldn't do anything....unless you have insurance on the trip that will cover this illness. If you don't show, you don't show...nothing they can do about it.

If you CAN get refunded via insurance because of a respiratory bug...then get the doctor to submit the proper papers for you to turn in to the insurance company.....THEY are the ones who will refund any covered expenses...not the cruise line.

I have to agree with some of the others and wait to see how you feel in 10 days. Since it's viral, and there are no antibiotics involved, you might be fine. You won't believe how many people get some weird virus and cough on the ship.

You got the math right. I didn't get it but I do now. First time in many cruises I had to cancel and it was a learning experience.

I got sick Sun and was treated, wrongly, with antibiotics for a week. Just got the correct treatment today so I wasted 4 days and I am exhausted. We have company coming the day we return so I need a break and I run myself ragged on cruises... afraid I will miss something.

Thanks again for all the help.

The health questionnaire asks about a cough is if it goes along with a fever. They don't just ask about a cough. So don't worry about that.

Either cancel the company for when you return or make a pact with yourself to have a relaxing cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First of all if you aren't going you NEED to cancel. If you are a NO SHOW then insurance doesn't apply and you loose all the fees and port taxes, which come back 100% in cash.

I had to cancel a Halloween cruise for our kids due to an uncovered reason (job loss) or the "any reason" clause at 16 days. I got 25% back in cash from RCL, plus 100% of the fees (-trip protection) and port taxes.

I am now dealing with the insurance company for a cruise credit. I got a letter from them yesterday where they rejected a cash refund because my reason to cancel wasn't covered and was under "any reason."

The insurance company is now sending a letter to RCL who will give me a future cruise credit for 75% of what I didn't get back.

Hopefully under the "any reason" clause I should be out about $600 on a total $3800 trip fare. Granted $2000 will be a future cruise credit, but heck who can complain about taking another cruise?

I believe in notifying as soon as possible, provided that early notification will put you in a less expensive cancellation penalty. If you're already in the full fare cancellation period, notifying now or in 5 days isn't going to save the insurance company any money.

However, you know yourself best. If you feel that you're not going to be able to enjoy yourself, and your doctor is going to fill out the papers stating that you are ill and cannot cruise, then that's what you do. The cruise line can absolutely issue you a cancellation letter, stating the amount you paid and the cancellation penalty. I get them for any cancellations I need to make. That letter, along with proof of your payment of the cruise, and the required forms from the dr (the insurance company will send you the package when you notify them of the cancellation) will all need to be submitted for your claim to be considered.

Please note that you will need to cancel the cruise before you notify the insurance company. They will note the cancellation date in your file.

I'm sorry that you were incorrectly treated and lost 4 days when you could have been improving, especially if the URI is indeed bacterial and they gave you the wrong abx. If it's viral, then it really doesn't matter and it just has to run its course.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.