Cruise Stock questions.

WAVTAM

I have held both RCL and Carnival stock with the 100 share required for over 10 years. I have greatly appreciated the stock credit on my accts plus the every increasing value of the stock itself.

I cruise mainly Princess cruises and there Carnival stock offer benefits without questions or limitations.

However, it has become increasing frustrating with RCL and all there limitations on get the stock benefit.

It either needs to be a TA/TP cruise , inside room , resident rate or senior rate. ANYTHING else disqualifies from stock benefit.(Assume many of you have seen this)

Therefore the question is...... time to sell off the RCL stock or continue to hold just for the value only and not the benefits.????

In 10 years I've NEVER been able to use the RCL stock benefit on my 8 Celebrity cruises whereas my CCL stock always worked on my 14 HAL cruises. Yes, I think it's time to dump my 100 shares of RCL stock!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I purchased 200 shares of RCL stock on 10/14/2015. As of close yesterday it has a total -9.56% return. Price performance for the last 52 weeks is -20.14%.

I used to own 100 shares of RCL preciously in 2014 but sold it for a profit. So net/net I'm still up $1,100 on the first lot after losing on the second lot. However I don't see it worth holding further since my money works harder in other stock holdings.

BTW I purchased 100 shares of CCL stock on 08/24/2015. As of close yesterday it has a total +17.89% return. Price performance for the last 52 weeks is -5.41%

Plus I've never been able to combine the RCL shareholder benefit on any Celebrity Cruise I've taken.

You do the math. Excluding the shareholder benefit, Unless you bought RCL long ago at much less cost, it looks like a bad investment at present IMHO. I don't believe you should buy the stock for the potential shareholder benefit.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

In 10 years I've NEVER been able to use the RCL stock benefit on my 8 Celebrity cruises whereas my CCL stock always worked on my 14 HAL cruises. Yes, I think it's time to dump my 100 shares of RCL stock!

If you've had the stock for 10 years, you should have been able to use it since they discontinued combining with other offers only around 4-5 years ago.

We purchased in 2009 at $16 and gotten benefits for just about the entire amount. Just recently booked a last-minute transatlantic this past April and got $250.

If you've had the stock for 10 years, you should have been able to use it since they discontinued combining with other offers only around 4-5 years ago.

We purchased in 2009 at $16 and gotten benefits for just about the entire amount. Just recently booked a last-minute transatlantic this past April and got $250.

We purchased the stock in 2012 at around $26 before our first Celebrity cruise and used the shareholder benefit twice. We have received around $100 per year dividends since then plus $450 shareholders benefit and the shares are now $82.

Purchased the CCL shares around 2010 at around £18 and have received shareholder benefit of around $300 and dividends of around £100'per year. They are now worth around £41.00. Probably just bought at the right time but they are still giving a decent return annually without the shareholder benefit although rising oil prices could dent the shares in the future.

I purchased stock in RCL quite some time ago as I thought it would be a good addition to my portfolio.....and hoped to be able to get the shareholder's benefit at some point. But recently sold.....partly because I was never able to get the shareholder benefit, but mostly since the stock wasn't performing as well as others. (Took a paltry increase and ran)

It seems that the only time you can use the shareholder benefits anymore are for TAs and since we probably won't do any, it just didn't meet my requirements anymore.

We enjoy cruising, but will invest in stocks that don't appear to be struggling as much.

Have to agree with the OPs post. We also own stock in both CCL and RCI and have lately found the RCI stock to be worthless...as far as getting OBCs. I think we bought our RCI stock when it was about $28.... Probably should have sold it when it was around $100, but we do think the company has a bright future.

Hank

I have held both RCL and Carnival stock with the 100 share required for over 10 years. I have greatly appreciated the stock credit on my accts plus the every increasing value of the stock itself.

I cruise mainly Princess cruises and there Carnival stock offer benefits without questions or limitations.

However, it has become increasing frustrating with RCL and all there limitations on get the stock benefit.

It either needs to be a TA/TP cruise , inside room , resident rate or senior rate. ANYTHING else disqualifies from stock benefit.(Assume many of you have seen this)

Therefore the question is...... time to sell off the RCL stock or continue to hold just for the value only and not the benefits.????

Will you be selling at a profit? If so, go for it! We own Carnival stock...get the benefit with no hassle and it's gone up about $20 per share since I bought 100 shares.

Your post really peaked my curiousity. Are you saying if we purchased the stock before they implemented the rules against combining with other offers, then these rules do not apply to us? We have our stocks about 8 years ago. And only within the last few years, we've been getting some rejections. I always thought the rules apply to everyone, and has nothing to do with when the stocks was actually purchased. Also how do they know when you purchased them? Surely we don't send them our stock history for the last 8 years. Can you clarify?

Your post really peaked my curiousity. Are you saying if we purchased the stock before they implemented the rules against combining with other offers, then these rules do not apply to us? We have our stocks about 8 years ago. And only within the last few years, we've been getting some rejections. I always thought the rules apply to everyone, and has nothing to do with when the stocks was actually purchased. Also how do they know when you purchased them? Surely we don't send them our stock history for the last 8 years. Can you clarify?

I think posters are saying that there have been more restrictions over the past few years which have made using the stockholder credit rather difficult. We used to be able to get it all the time but then the "not combinable" phrase began to appear when we applied for the shareholder OBC.

We would emphasize that the ability to "stack" or combine OBC credits is alive and well with most CCL Lines (Princess, HAL, Windstar, Costa, etc). But RCI (RCI, Azamara and Celebrity) have adopted a philosophy that makes coming or stacking credits difficult to impossible. In fact, if they allow you to use your stockholder credit (with RCI Stock) then you have likely paid too much for your cruise or missed out on their many promotions.

Hank

We would emphasize that the ability to "stack" or combine OBC credits is alive and well with most CCL Lines (Princess, HAL, Windstar, Costa, etc). But RCI (RCI, Azamara and Celebrity) have adopted a philosophy that makes coming or stacking credits difficult to impossible. In fact, if they allow you to use your stockholder credit (with RCI Stock) then you have likely paid too much for your cruise or missed out on their many promotions.

Hank

The various NCL lines also let you stack shareholder benefits like CCL does.

Hank

I think you need to look at the stock performance as well rather than whether you get shareholder benefit. My CCL shares are around 2.2 times ahead of my purchase price but my RCCL shares are more than 3 times HEAD OF MY purchase price so I can accept a bit less Obc.

I did up because of shareholder obc which I received for a few cruises but since then it has been a good performing dare.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

Hank

Unless you've booked an inside cabin or a transatlantic (with no perks).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless you've booked an inside cabin or a transatlantic (with no perks).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We no longer book insides. As to TAs, we have done many (including a few on RCI and Celebrity) and still could not get our stockholder credit. There are even promos and various OBCs attached to many Transatlantic bookings which make one ineligible for stockholder credits. We always shop around for the best deals (we currently compare offerings among our favorite 4 cruise agencies) and find plenty of amazing deals for TAs. What typically happens is a cruise agency will say something like "we can give you a $400 OBC....but you will not be able to get your stockholder credit.") And then we call Celebrity and they will say something like, "your fare and OBC make you ineligible for stockholder credits).

It is true that Celebrity (and some other lines) are very hesitant to offer drink package promos with TA cruises. The reason is pretty clear. Those cruises have a lot of sea days when folks have nothing better to do then sit around and drink. This reduces the profits associated with drink packages...and cruise lines do not like seeing their profits diminished :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

8. Are there any restrictions?

Benefit is non-transferable and not available to employees, agents of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. or its subsidiaries and affiliates, travel agents and tour operators. Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off/wave” promotions, savings certificates, onboard chartered sailings, certain group sailings, certain price programs, or bookings made at a reduced rate or travel agent rate. Additionally, benefit is not available to people whose eyes are green, blue, brown or gray. Shareholders have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer.

While I haven't got much shareholders OBC from "X" lately, have got it so many times when booking last minute and in the old day that it more than paid for what the shares cost me... away more!

I get it when booking last minute when there are no bennies.... always ask is my advice

Here's 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your email.

The requested shareholder’s onboard credit has been applied and is confirmed to reservation 9000137 in the amount of $250.

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

2013 Dear J

The requested shareholder’s onboard credit has been applied and is confirmed to reservation 2770263 in the amount of $ 200.00.

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Dear Mr. B,

The requested shareholders onboard credit has been applied and is confirmed to reservation 4858574 in the amount of $ 250.00

Kind Regards,

Coupon Redemption Team

Just the ones I found easily...

I have received the shareholder benefit on nearly every one of my sailings with RCCL. I have only cruised Celebrity once (so far) but got it on that sailing. I am hoping I will get it on my Around the Horn cruise but not sure since I have the Go Better promotion.

I have received the shareholder benefit on nearly every one of my sailings with RCCL. I have only cruised Celebrity once (so far) but got it on that sailing. I am hoping I will get it on my Around the Horn cruise but not sure since I have the Go Better promotion.

I used to get it all the time when I had booked my Celebrity cruise under a Resident Rate or Senior Rate. When the Pick 3 and Go Better Rates were used, I was not able to get the Shareholder OBC as "They are not combinable".

The way I look at it now is that I get $192 per year as a stock dividend on 100 shares. That is my Shareholder perk. I have to look at it that way.

Here's the response I received two days ago for my upcoming cruise in two weeks.

"As offers are not combinable, the requested shareholder’s onboard credit cannot be applied to reservation xxxxxxxxx because there is another onboard credit offer ($300 Go Big OBC) already applied."

Actually we're getting the drinks package and not the OBC since it's a 14 day cruise. But they denied it just the same. I replied that CCL and NCL still both allow combining promotions and OBC with their shareholder benefit like RCL used to do which is one of the reasons why my latest cruise was booked on Oceania. I didn't mention that it was not my only reason. :D

So good luck getting yours.

Edited by ChucktownSteve