Favorite Moment of Any Cruise

Russterus

What is your favorite moment of any cruise? I know, hard to pick one, but for me it is simple.

After boarding and before muster, sometime after rooms have been released, I love to take about 15-20 minutes out and just sit on my balcony, wine glass in hand and melt. After the stress of travel and onboarding, and the excitement of a first exploration of the ship, nothing is better. Like many of you, I work a high stress job. That little point for me is where I feel my vacation really starts, that I can relax with no greater decision ahead than; shall I have escargot or a crab cake for my starter tonight? For me, it is literally a physical sensation where all my stress melts away and feels so good!

That's my favorite, although what comes after is great. What's yours?

I'm with you on this favorite moment. Bags are unpacked, suitcases stowed. Muster drill not for an hour. Realizing the hard work is behind you and you have nothing to stress over for the entire cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

After a harrowing 20 minute drive from home, parking the car, standing in line to get our sea passes, our vacation truly begins as we head up the gangway, and stop at the first bar for a cocktail.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I get up very early most days on board so I can run laps before the masses hit the decks for their morning strolls, and as I am finishing is when we are usually starting to dock at our next port. I love that moment- is a fab way to start the day!

Sent from my SM-G920I using Forums mobile app

Another favorite of mine is sitting on my balcony just before time to leave a port and watching the stragglers running to the ship screaming "Don't leave me!" I know, I am a horrible human being.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially enjoying this thread today. I'm a pet sitter and dog walker in the Chicago suburbs, and brutally cold days like today are the reason I like to have a cruise booked to have something to look forward to. I really do think about it while I'm out there walking doggies.

I enjoy every minute of our cruise vacations, including the pre-cruise night at a hotel near the port. Of course, boarding any ship is also one of my favorite moments, even if it's a ship I've been on before. That never gets old. 86 days from today we'll probably be at muster. :)

In 2007 I was on golf themed Crystal Cruise doing a British Isles itinerary. Golf great Billy Casper was the guest of honor. That day at St. Andrews I got to play a few holes with Billy, and then he left to play a bit with other cruise guests. As we approached the 18th green we could see some folks assembled at the back of the green. It was Billy, the club pro, the cruise ship pro, and a photographer. My approach shot was just short, and my chip was about 15 feet away. Now I have a 15 footer for a par on the 18th at St. Andrews with everyone watching. I am nervous, and all I could think at that very moment was how do these pros make a $500,000 putt? At any rate, by the grace of the golf gods, I drained the putt, and as I went to the cup to retrieve my ball, the St. Andrews pro said in a way only a Scotsman could, "Laddie, maybe I should be taking lessons from you." It doesn't get any better than that. A moment I will always cherish.

We were on the last cruise for the QEII to be in Bergen, all the people from Bergen lined up on the bridge in Bergen and waved to us as we passed under the bridge and fire boats sprayed water in front of the ship as we left port

It was a great experience

My favorite time is in the early hours in the morning, on the second day, walking around the ship when most others are asleep. I love walking all over the ship almost alone except for just the crew and very few passengers! Oh how I wish everyone would sleep in for at least an extra hour...:) Love my quiet time...then comes breakfast, next-the gym, shower, balcony and wallah...I am ready for whatever!:D

Edited by Lastdance

When you hear that first 'boing' as your seapass gains you entry to the ship. Then the holiday begins.

My absolute favourite cruise memory is one when we were not even sailing. During the 1980's I was backpacking around Australia, the QEII was about to depart Sydney on a world tour leg, I was very homesick at the time. We spent all day watching the comings and goings on the quay, passengers boarding etc. We returned later at night, all the guests were in full evening dress on the decks, a band was playing on the quayside and streamers were popped as she pulled away. It was so emotional I cried, I have never felt so proud, so British and homesick at all the same time. It felt like most of Sydney had turned out to watch the sail away- wonderful memory.

Deb

My favorite moment is gathering for sailaway with a bunch of rowdy people knowing there is a lot of fun ahead.

My second favorite moment is sitting on the balcony in the morning with room service coffee, watching and listening to the water as we sail.

Lately all of our cruises are out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami and I just LOVE to sit on the balcony at dusk, with a martini, and my hubs, and watch the sparkly massive estates go by. We always make sure our cabin is on that side of the ship purposefully so we can watch the world slowly go away....

Right after muster... grabbing a drink and heading to our favorite sail-away spot. Waiting for that vibration that signals that we're underway... entire cruise ahead of us. I did mention the drink, right? :D