Just back from Crown didn't make it around the horm

AnnePontuso

For those of you who are getting ready to sail on the Crown around the Horn please be aware that what happens on this voyage will largely depend on the weather and what the SA authorities decide to do with the documentation that is provided at each port. Many people were complaining about the delays and blaming it on the captain. The captain does NOT have control of anything other than sailing the ship safely. The waits for embarkation and disembarking were due to what the SA said and not under the control of Princess. Furthermore, many people complained that it was cold heading around the Magellan straights. Well it is near Antarctica duhhhhh. Of course it's cold despite the fact that we were heading south. We couldn't sail around the Horn because the seas were too rough. We did get to see the end of the earth, glaciers, penguins and all sorts of beautiful sites. During the 15 days we were on board the temperature went from cold to hot. When we landed in Rio it was 110 degrees! Also be aware that Zika virus is out there so bring insect repellant and Cholorx wipes....everyone was catching colds. I'm glad I was told to take a electrical outlets extension cord and magnetized hooks for hanging things on the wall. Try to figure out what stations are what on the television. You can get the news if you can remember which station it is on. Writie it down because they don't have a TV guide. Bring a down vest and layers, hats, gloves, and the charger for you camera. :)

Try to figure out what stations are what on the television. You can get the news if you can remember which station it is on. Writie it down because they don't have a TV guide.

Ask your steward for a TV guide. They're not as nice as they used to be, but they are still available (we were on the Crown in Nov/Dec 2016). If the steward balks, go to passenger services.

The TV has a TV guide on one of the channels where you can see what is on for the next couple of hours. It isn't interactive, but at least it's there.

We r leaving on the Jan 18th sailing......Santiago to Buenos Aires, according to fact and added rumor the Jan 4th leaving RIO was delayed due to a medical emergency on your sailing I m guessing.. but now there is a debate on board what ports to delete(like I said rumor).

Can u be more specific on the delays?

Did u actually miss any ports?

So did u sail thru beagle channel, since u missed the horn?

I heard it has been raining in the Falklands pretty continuously for the last few weeks, did it rain when you tendered in?

How was your weather overall?

Thx for the heads up....and reminder about Zika...

Edited by land lover

It's been almost 7 years since out SA cruise but you must be prepared for itinerary changes. Rough seas may prevent tendering at the Falklands. We made it in with smooth seas but tenders back to the ship had rough seas. While in the Falklands on our tour we heard on the BBC that the Argentine authorities almost didn't let the Star leave because we were stopping at the Falklands. This was during a time of heightened tension as companies were preparing to start test drilling for oil and they thought the Star might be smuggling in material for that work. High winds kept us at the pier at Ushuaia for more than 5 hours after our scheduled departure and our stop at Punta Arenas the next day had to be cancelled. People with bucket list tours to Antarctica and the Torres del Paine National Park in Patagonia had to be told their tours from Punta Arenas were cancelled. Instead we were offered a leisurely two hour cruise past the tidewater glaciers in the Beagle Channel. The westbound cruise before ours had to seek shelter in the Chilean Fjords for many hours due to high winds and rough seas along the coast and their stop at Puerto Montt had to be cancelled. I won't even start to discuss the impact of the major earthquake during our cruise. When cruising in areas where weather or political tensions might cause issues you need to be prepared to roll with the punches and enjoy the adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can you expand on what is meant by this statement?

"what the SA authorities decide to do with the documentation that is provided at each port."

We sailed S.A. in 2012 and did not have any documentation issues at any port.

Yeah, I didn't understand this either.

There are Chilean authorities, Argentinian authorities, Uruguayan authorities and Brazilian authorities. Each has their own procedures and requirements.

Clarification could be helpful.

If you sailed from Valparaiso to Rio you sailed around Cape Horn, you just missed scenic cruising. Your title is a little overly dramatic

LOL. I had a little trouble with that, too. Can't get from one side to the other by sea any other way. But it's too bad they missed the scenic part because that is quite impressive.

Buenos Aires I don't recall anyone enforcing anything. Our experience was the this embarkation at this port was lengthy to be nice about it. We got to the terminal about noon. It was already filled with what seemed like hundreds of passengers. We could not find where to get a group boarding number. It took a while. We walked all over the terminal. My wife speaks fluent Spanish. The people she asked didn't know either. We finally got smart and asked someone who had a group number. Turns out we walked by where they were giving them out but did not see it in the confusion. We luckily we found a seat. I don't know why but our number was called almost immediately. They you line up for security and passport control. That takes a while. Then there was a long line to check in. Princess wanted a copy of visa used to enter the country. I knew this. But that did not stop me from putting it in our checked baggage. I felt so dumb! No problem I just took it to passenger services after I got the luggage. Then you take a bus ride to the ship. It was about a 10 minute ride. So from entering the terminal to boarding the ship it was about 90 minutes without waiting for our group to be called. Longer for those who had to wait.

If you sailed from Valparaiso to Rio you sailed around Cape Horn, you just missed scenic cruising. Your title is a little overly dramatic

LOL. I had a little trouble with that, too. Can't get from one side to the other by sea any other way. But it's too bad they missed the scenic part because that is quite impressive.

Here's the map. You can get from Valparaiso to Rio without sailing around Cape Horn. While the cruise ships don't generally use the Strait of Magellan, it easy to see the passage that goes by Ushuaia. Been there, done that, twice. Got the t-shirt (once).

capehorn.gif

Edited by beg3yrs

Went last year in late February. Thankfully, weather was great and we did not miss any stops. It does keep a little nippy the further south one goes.

As for enforcing embarkation times, I didn't see it. The area is not well marked and my wife and I almost got in the line for another cruise ship!!! We did find our way, and I think we arrived around 12:30 and boarded within an hour.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For those who have done the cruise from Buenos Aires, does Prinsess enforce the suggested boarding time schedule?

For our cruise last March, they did not enforce suggested boarding times. We headed to the port at 11:30.

The port a Buenos Aires can be chaotic depending upon how many ships are in port. Last year when we boarded there was 3 in port. Passengers for the other two were backed up in long lines. However, once we found Princess (not immediately obvious so look carefully, for our cruise it was at the far left as you face the building) there were no lines and we got right on. At the port the ships are located in an industrial port. So all check in for all ships is done in one building, then after exiting into the port, passengers are directed to the buses that will take them to their ship.

Here's the map. You can get from Valparaiso to Rio without sailing around Cape Horn. While the cruise ships don't generally use the Strait of Magellan, it easy to see the passage that goes by Ushuaia. Been there, done that, twice. Got the t-shirt (once).

capehorn.gif

Thank you for clearing that up. I didn't know there was another way to get around the horn.

The Beagle Channel.

capehorn.gif

The route we took last year, and I think the route normally taken by Princess ships (from BA), is to head to Cape Horn from the Falklands, go around the island (Isla Hornos) that Cape Horn is on, then go back north east to the Beagle Channel to Ushuaia.

As such the ship only sticks its nose into the Drake Passage long enough to circle the Island, instead of continuing around the tip.

We were on this cruise (Valparaiso to Rio) and the previous (LA to Valporaiso). The only lengthy hold up I recall in disembarking was in Rio. It was the Crown's first visit of the season plus Princess had reported cases of the flu (as required) to Brazilian officials in advance of disembarkation. The inspectors showed up late (well after disembarkation was due to start) and the medical center had to contend with a public health inspection team that wanted to see the passengers with the most recent cases of the flu before anyone was allowed to disembark. (I happened to be waiting for the med unit to open and got the story about the late inspectors from Princess staff. Once I was inside the med unit, I saw the Brazilian health officials and the Princess passengers). Rio was the only place we missed an excursion due to late disembarkation.

The weather was, in my opinion, about as good as can be expected assuming you looked at the historical highs and lows before traveling. We had about a 1 hour downpour in Puntarenas, Costa Rica and another in Montevideo, Uruguay. We did miss a private small boat excursion of the Beagle Channel out of Ushuaia because the seas were rough in the afternoon (my sister and I grew up sailing from a young age and were relieved when the tour operator announced that they would substitute a small van tour of the National Park if interested for a lower fare or fully refund our fares). We were able to make all our tender ports (San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua; Punta Arenas, Chile; and the Falklands where the weather was windy and slightly overcast but no rain).

The scenary in the Beagle Channel, especially along Glacier Alley, was spectacular. While we missed rounding Cape Horn, it was definitely visible. Considering that the ship was listing enough that water wouldn't drain from the tub because it puddled at the back of it away from the drain we had no complaints about the change in plans. Captain Lawes had been very forthcoming from early on in the cruise (including at our M&G) that the weather predictions were not looking good (he had warned our first cruise M&G of the same thing about San Juan del Sur but we were able to tender). He even said that we might not circle the island but go down one side and back up the same side depending on the wind conditions. As it was the wind was so powerful that we couldn't get as close to Cape Horn as everyone would have liked.

For folks on upcoming Crown itineraries this winter, don't miss the destination lecturer (Julio Delgado). A number of our guides were amazed at how much information we already knew just from attending his lectures. We also enjoyed the scholarly lectures by Dr. Kus. The Princess theater was often filled for both lecturers.

Edited by capriccio

I wish OP would come back and answer my questions post #5 since I am leaving in a week....I am not worried about delays etc...that's all part of cruising...or for that matter traveling and since I have been to South American 3 times in the last 7 years I know about politics and delays away from the ports.

Going around the Horn is new for me.....

So for all those that have experienced this trip in the last year or 2...any suggestions or tips?

We r doing Valparaiso to Buenos Aires...Jan 18th.

Thx...capriccio, just saw your post...good info, specially the lectures and beg3yrs for the map....

Even have read a copy of Rounding the Horn by Dallas Murphy per suggestion from another poster...

L:)ri

Edited by land lover

We were on this cruise (Valparaiso to Rio) and the previous (LA to Valporaiso). The only lengthy hold up I recall in disembarking was in Rio. It was the Crown's first visit of the season plus Princess had reported cases of the flu (as required) to Brazilian officials in advance of disembarkation. The inspectors showed up late (well after disembarkation was due to start) and the medical center had to contend with a public health inspection team that wanted to see the passengers with the most recent cases of the flu before anyone was allowed to disembark. (I happened to be waiting for the med unit to open and got the story about the late inspectors from Princess staff. Once I was inside the med unit, I saw the Brazilian health officials and the Princess passengers). Rio was the only place we missed an excursion due to late disembarkation.

The weather was, in my opinion, about as good as can be expected assuming you looked at the historical highs and lows before traveling. We had about a 1 hour downpour in Puntarenas, Costa Rica and another in Montevideo, Uruguay. We did miss a private small boat excursion of the Beagle Channel out of Ushuaia because the seas were rough in the afternoon (my sister and I grew up sailing from a young age and were relieved when the tour operator announced that they would substitute a small van tour of the National Park if interested for a lower fare or fully refund our fares). We were able to make all our tender ports (San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua; Punta Arenas, Chile; and the Falklands where the weather was windy and slightly overcast but no rain).

The scenary in the Beagle Channel, especially along Glacier Alley, was spectacular. While we missed rounding Cape Horn, it was definitely visible. Considering that the ship was listing enough that water wouldn't drain from the tub because it puddled at the back of it away from the drain we had no complaints about the change in plans. Captain Lawes had been very forthcoming from early on in the cruise (including at our M&G) that the weather predictions were not looking good (he had warned our first cruise M&G of the same thing about San Juan del Sur but we were able to tender). He even said that we might not circle the island but go down one side and back up the same side depending on the wind conditions. As it was the wind was so powerful that we couldn't get as close to Cape Horn as everyone would have liked.

For folks on upcoming Crown itineraries this winter, don't miss the destination lecturer (Julio Delgado). A number of our guides were amazed at how much information we already knew just from attending his lectures. We also enjoyed the scholarly lectures by Dr. Kus. The Princess theater was often filled for both lecturers.

What were the subjects of Dr Kus' lectures please? I'm looking forward to setting off on a similar cruise on Crown on 18th.

I

Even have read a copy of Rounding the Horn by Dallas Murphy per suggestion from another poster...

L:)ri

That's a fantastic book. I found it on Amazon and convinced (it didn't take much) the others in my party (my husband, sister and borther-in-law) to read it too. It provided a wonderful frame of reference. One thing I would suggest is to bring a good map of the tip of the world with you (I forgot the one I used when reading Rounding the Horn).

What were the subjects of Dr Kus' lectures please? I'm looking forward to setting off on a similar cruise on Crown on 18th.

Unfortunately I didn't save my patters (31 days worth took up too much room). Both Julio Delgado and Dr. Kus have been guest lecturers on Princess and other cruise ships around South America. Dr. Kus is a retired archaeologist from California who spent most of his career studying the indigenous peoples of (mainly) Peru. He had interesting presentations containing many pictures and some videos taken during his research trips over the years. In addition to speaking on ancient cultures, he covered historical and current modes of transportation, and the history of the Jesuit missions. Julio Delgado usually spoke from 9:30 am to 10:15 and then Dr. Kus spoke from 11 to 11:45 on sea days.