Buffet food vs. MDR food

frayedend

I would highly suggest hitting the MDR at least one for breakfast. The Froot Loop crusted French toast is to die for. :D Plus, every time I order it (at least once per cruise) I get a lot of "Holy crap on a cracker, you're going to eat THAT?" looks from diners around me which is fun.:D

Okay I don't think I've heard of this breakfast option! I will have to check that out. If I recall correctly shorts would be fine in the morning for breakfast. We usually just hit the buffet and get an omelet and some bacon. But this sounds like something that must be tried. LOL Thanks!

Maybe it was an off night, but the warm choc melting cake is not what is used to be. We were very disappointed in it.

I have found the foods to be the same.

I've always found it hit or miss as far as how solid the center is cooked but other than that it's usually pretty good. But yeah we would be fine missing it. I also make a great creme brûlée at home so that won't be missed either. :)

On our recent Dream cruise, I was surprised to see that most of the dinner offerings at the buffet were exactly the same as what was offered in the MDR. Even the desserts were mostly the same. But no warm chocolate melting cake in the buffet. :(

My experience on the January 3rd sailing of the Dream was just the opposite.

Because a similar topic came up before we sailed I made a point to check the buffet on three evenings after dining in the MDR, and on all three occasions there were no more than one or two entrees that were the same in both venues. Desserts were also not the same.

YMMV

From my observation as well, unfortunately, there is no need to dress any different to eat in the MDR than you would to eat on lido. We had passengers dressed in shorts and T-shirts every night, even elegant night. I wore a dress shirt and tie, no coat, with khakis on elegant night and was one of the more over-dressed in attendance. A whole family of five seated next to us wore basketball shorts and T-shirts.

Edited by dsotm73

From my observation as well, unfortunately, there is no need to dress any different to eat in the MDR than you would to eat on lido. We had passengers dressed in shorts and T-shirts every night, even elegant night. I wore a dress shirt and tie, no coat, with khakis on elegant night and was one of the more over-dressed in attendance. A whole family of five seated next to us wore basketball shorts and T-shirts.

I don't mind the casual dress in the dining room, but I wish they would enforce the elegant night dress codes. If you don't want to dress up, then eat on the lido deck. Its only 1-2 nights.

Yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable in MDR with shorts. Maybe if I noticed a lot of others in shorts. But I usually have cargo shorts which don't seem appropriate. I definitely wouldn't wear anything on Elegant night that doesn't fit the rules. As another post mentioned, I've not seen too many people in casual clothes on Elegant night either. I hear about it here much more than I've experienced it.

Okay I don't think I've heard of this breakfast option! I will have to check that out. If I recall correctly shorts would be fine in the morning for breakfast. We usually just hit the buffet and get an omelet and some bacon. But this sounds like something that must be tried. LOL Thanks!

I've always found it hit or miss as far as how solid the center is cooked but other than that it's usually pretty good. But yeah we would be fine missing it. I also make a great creme brûlée at home so that won't be missed either. :)

Breakfast... Carnival's Sea Day Brunch, in the dining room, is FANTASTIC! The menu is good (they do French Toast about four different ways, including the already-mentioned Froot Loops), and even includes gooey desserts. :D It goes from about 8am to 1pm, so you can sleep in on a sea day, and still make it to the brunch.

And speaking of dessert, I'm coming over to your house! Warm chocolate melting cake, creme brûlée... Yummy!!! :)

On the Triumph, the buffet only had around 6 choices for hot 'mains' during dinner. This is far less than the windjammer and NCL's 'garden cafe' had on similar sized ship cruises with them. Not sure if this is Carnival-wide, or just ship specific. We didn't find much that appealed to us at the buffet and instead ate in the MDR.

The other (cruise) lines had some basic American fare, but also some ethnic choices.

And speaking of dessert, I'm coming over to your house! Warm chocolate melting cake, creme brûlée... Yummy!!! :)

Haha, come on over. It's just me unless it's my kid weekend and I always need someone to help me eat this stuff. :D

creme_zpscr0pxtmh.jpg

warm%20chocolate_zpsgw7vpl9q.jpg

Oh and I make cannoli too. And yes I made the shells.

cannoli_zpsgkwk1wjg.jpg

MDR is open every day for breakfast. Our first cruise we only ate there on debarkation day and wished we had eaten there everyday! Seaday brunch is excellent,too!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I second this! The breakfast in the MDR is WAY better than on the lido deck. We wake up earlier to take the time to eat. It's just that good!

The problem I would have is the buffet items are hanging around in warming tray for a long time sometime hours and food in the DR comes out a lot faster and fresher.

that's only the beginning of my problems with buffet food lol. I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm no wilting or delicate flower. I don't think I'm a special snowflake. I'm loud and fat and often obnoxious and I will eat almost any type of food but I just am not a fan of eating after some unsupervised little booger-picker has been trawling through the moderately warm trays of glop that most buffets end up being.

Sit me down and bring me food. At least I can't see the waiters sticking their thumbs in my mashed potatoes.

I second this! The breakfast in the MDR is WAY better than on the lido deck. We wake up earlier to take the time to eat. It's just that good!

Yup, we make time to eat there almost every morning. Except for San Juan, we ate at lido at 6:30, then off the ship ASAP before it got too hot (dear lord it was hot and humid that day!)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I guess it's all planning and perspective. If you eat at the buffet when they first bring the food out or eat the popular dishes that are refilled often then they don't sit out. I don't recall if utensils are wrapped in a napkin or not but would be better if they are.

In any case it's just an option for us. While changing in and out of dinner clothes isn't that big of a pain, consider that I will only need carry on luggage if we don't have dinner clothes. That will save me over $100 in baggage fees, plus the time and lugging that stuff around. For 3 guys, not really a bad option.

I went on a 5 day business trip, with dress clothes, dress shoes, and also evening leisure clothes (t-shirts and shorts) all in a carry-on bag and back-pack. The other two guys that went on the trip also only had carry on bags. Now, the women on the other hand went overboard with packing.:cool:

My experience is completely different from the people who are saying that the buffet has many of the same dishes as the MDR. I have never found that to be the case. Maybe 1 or 2 items, but that's it. And the desserts have never been the same. I rarely find any desserts on the buffet that I'm interested in having, but I usually order two different ones in the MDR.

And, it's not because I'm a buffet snob or anything. I just think the food in the MDR on Carnival is so much better than the food on the buffet. At least for dinner. I have no problem with the Carnival buffet at lunch, but it usually has a lot of options that get closed down for dinner - like the Mongolian Wok, Tandoor, etc.

On Royal Caribbean, I feel like the opposite is true. I find their buffet better than their MDR. So, when on Carnival, I rarely skip the MDR for the buffet. And on Royal, I rarely go to the MDR and instead just eat from the buffet.

Hmm, maybe I'll have us pack at least 1 set of clothes suitable for MDR and try to get it in the carry ons.

What time does the buffet get dinner lined up? Then maybe I can see the choices and head to the MDR for 6:15 if it's a better deal. :)

To my complete shock the kids have chosen the MDR, including formal night. My 16 year old, who can be very lazy and I have to fight to get him out of sweatpants or shorts even said he would pack formal wear. He said the MDR is better quality. Maybe they are growing up after all.

All this time I was thinking they would love to skip the scheduling of things and I was wrong. LOL

Usually the day you board is casual in the MDR.. That would be the best way to get your cake.. It is far more relaxed for everyone. Buffet has variety and usually easy to find things that appeal to everyone.

Excellent suggestion! Get that WMC the first night when casual including shorts is fine in the MDR.

My experience is completely different from the people who are saying that the buffet has many of the same dishes as the MDR. I have never found that to be the case. Maybe 1 or 2 items, but that's it. And the desserts have never been the same. I rarely find any desserts on the buffet that I'm interested in having, but I usually order two different ones in the MDR.

And, it's not because I'm a buffet snob or anything. I just think the food in the MDR on Carnival is so much better than the food on the buffet. At least for dinner. I have no problem with the Carnival buffet at lunch, but it usually has a lot of options that get closed down for dinner - like the Mongolian Wok, Tandoor, etc.

On Royal Caribbean, I feel like the opposite is true. I find their buffet better than their MDR. So, when on Carnival, I rarely skip the MDR for the buffet. And on Royal, I rarely go to the MDR and instead just eat from the buffet.

This is my experience as well. When we checked the Victory buffet for dinner it was underwhelming. NCL and Royal the buffets are better than MDR many nights. Willing to try dinner in buffet again on Carnival though; I do like being on my own time schedule and with a child it is easier.

I do love Carnival MDR breakfast/seaday brunch especially. I loved lunch in MDR but hear that is mostly gone now.

I am strongly considering skipping the MDR altogether on the Fascination in August. First time cruising with my two boys without their Mom. I would love a very casual cruise with no stress. I don't care to dress up, or sit down to be served. But I do like my warm chocolate melting cake and quite a few of the entrees.

Do they serve any of the same food in the Buffet as the MDR? On virtually all my cruises I've done MDR for all dinners so I really have no idea.

what is stressful about eating, as to the MDR vs buffet, not even close. If you like Golden Coral, go for it. For us the food is a huge reason we cruise

Haha, come on over. It's just me unless it's my kid weekend and I always need someone to help me eat this stuff. :D

creme_zpscr0pxtmh.jpg

warm%20chocolate_zpsgw7vpl9q.jpg

Oh and I make cannoli too. And yes I made the shells.

cannoli_zpsgkwk1wjg.jpg

Address please? Oh and do we need to make a reservation or can we just stop by???? :D :D

what is stressful about eating, as to the MDR vs buffet, not even close. If you like Golden Coral, go for it. For us the food is a huge reason we cruise

Not like real stress. Just having to be somewhere on time, getting dressed, etc. :) Anyhow, my update on this page posted that my kids actually decided they prefer MDR.