which one way ship likely to have least amount of children?

susiesan

I would like to do a one way Alaska cruise between Anchorage and Vancouver. Between HAL, Princess, or Celebrity which line is likely to have the least amount of children onboard? Which would cater more to adults versus families?

Which of these 3 lines will have the best opportunities for glacier viewing?

The best opportunities for glacier viewing would depend on the route. As we don't have all those routes memorized, some reading on the board would help you see that cruising Hubbard Glacier, College Fjord (over 12 glaciers, but you can't see them all) and Glacier Bay (11 glaciers) would get you a lot of glaciers.

As to who has the most or least children, that is going to vary by cruise (as in time of season) and isn't really predictable. But if you force me to predict, I would say HAL and Celebrity will have the least, Princess the most.

Edited by CruiserBruce

Do you have something against children? If you don't want a lot of kids/children on the cruise go before school is out, like the end of May or the first week of June. We've never encounter a lot kids on any of the cruises we've been on up to Alaska.

Any of the 3 cruise lines that you have named will give you an excellent opportunity for seeing glaciers.

I would like to do a one way Alaska cruise between Anchorage and Vancouver. Between HAL, Princess, or Celebrity which line is likely to have the least amount of children onboard? Which would cater more to adults versus families?

Which of these 3 lines will have the best opportunities for glacier viewing?

Demographics on ALL Alaska cruise ships with the exception of Disney is middle aged and above. Not sure- if you are making assumptions- but this areas is in no way comparable to the Caribbean. You will- overall, see the SAME grouping on HAL, vs, NCL, Princess and YES also on Carnival. IF that is such a big issue for you, then look at Silversea, Lindblad, Dream etc.

"Best" glacier viewing is going to about TIME. The more times you see glaciers- the more you see, simple math. With a glacier priority- and a one way trip- then "best" could be Princess or NCL, add on boat tours out of BOTH Seward and Whittier, and Tracy Arm. flying from the inside passage ports, hiking Exit and Matansuka glaciers etc etc etc. All of this can be done on a single visit. Depends what "best" means to you? And realize- it can't be answered. :)

Thoughts....

• Princess prides itself as the best cruise line for Families. I smell children.
  • HAL is known to focus on the older clientele.... may be your better choice.
  • No experience with Celebrity. Will they take me to Glacier Bay? Ouch.

Edited by xlxo

Thoughts....

• Princess prides itself as the best cruise line for Families. I smell children.

Celebrity does not go into Glacier Bay, only HAL, Princess, and NCL do according to my TA.

Princess would be my preference due to platinum status with them but I prefer not to share my cruise with hundreds of children. I don't want to go in May due to the cold weather. Perhaps mid to late August when kids start going back to school would be a time with less families with kids.

The smaller upscale lines like Silversea or Lindblad are too pricey for our cruise budget.

I have a lot of reading of past reviews to do to see if the kids on cruises are a problem like they often are on Caribbean cruises.

Celebrity does not go into Glacier Bay, only HAL, Princess, and NCL do according to my TA.

Too much weight is put on Glacier Bay. Spectacular place although there are so many glacier viewing opportunities. College Fjord is amazing although many times overlooked. Sitting within 1/2 mile of Hubbard Glaciers can put Margerie Glacier in Glacier Bay to shame.

There were only 4 children on Oceania in June although it was round trip from Seattle.

As of a few years ago, these are the lines that had permits for Glacier Bay.

Alaskan Dream Cruises

American Cruise Lines

UnCruise

Carnival

Crystal

Hal

Norwegian

Princess

Lindblad

I've cruised to Alaska on Carnival, Princess and Holland America. There were similar numbers of children on all of them. Don't make assumptions based on generalizations about each line. Alaska is not like the Caribbean.

Schools in some areas get out in early May, so there might be fewer children in May, but there will likely still be some. Most schools are back in session by the week of Labor Day, so going after that might mean fewer children... but also less sunlight and more potential for bad weather.

Thoughts....

Your generalizations are pretty off in Alaska and in general.

All 3 of the lines do make it friendly for kids. In Alaska, none of these 3 lines will have that many children, especially on one ways.

--------

Pick the itinerary that has the best itinerary. Princess does 2 glaciers on their one way - I find this great for me who loves glaciers. Also, if one is skipped, you have a 2nd day to see glaciers (Glacier Bay is never skipped). Also, the northbound route allows you to do a private excursion to Tracy Arm in Juneau through AdventureBound but it takes up your whole day in Juneau.

Edited by Coral

Princess would be my preference due to platinum status with them but I prefer not to share my cruise with hundreds of children. I don't want to go in May due to the cold weather. Perhaps mid to late August when kids start going back to school would be a time with less families with kids.

May is a great time in Alaska! It really is not cold (heck, one of my July cruises was much colder). Historically, the end of May is going to be dryer (less rain) compared to August. I will take cooler (not cold) temps over chances of more rain any day. I live about 4 hours from you (awful weather this weekend) and end of May in Alaska reminds me beginning of May in midwest. Stay safe this weekend!

I love May as the snow is still on the mountains and is stunning. I have often gotten sunburns in May. If you do a search here, May is a favorite time to cruise in Alaska. I would do some more research before choosing a time of the year.

If you are planning on land trips after, make sure you pick to go to Denali after June 1st.

Edited by Coral

One more comment - kids are more likely to be on round trips as opposed to one ways. Still - nothing compared to the Caribbean. Only one trip of mine (RT RCCL) had kids that caused issues. There were not that many of them but they formed a group and were disruptive on the ship. This is rare in Alaska.

We've sailed twice on Celebrity to Alaska, mid July and late August. Neither date had many children and those that were on board were kept busy because of the number of ports.

Although we have never been to Glacier Bay or College Glaciers we thought Hubbard Glacier could not be beat. Here's a picture from our last trip.

496471316_ALASKA2014975.jpg.ef486c14d24d0cce03622f61eadaf499.jpg

One more comment - kids are more likely to be on round trips as opposed to one ways. Still - nothing compared to the Caribbean. Only one trip of mine (RT RCCL) had kids that caused issues. There were not that many of them but they formed a group and were disruptive on the ship. This is rare in Alaska.

This is good to know. I was also thinking that due to the higher cost of Alaska cruises compared to Caribbean cruises, and the costlier airfare to/from Alaska & Canada for the one ways that families with children would not be able to afford these trips.

I may look into going at the end of May, over Memorial Day weekend instead of over Labor Day weekend. I plan to do a land trip before or after the cruise on my own, renting a car and driving to Denali.

This is good to know. I was also thinking that due to the higher cost of Alaska cruises compared to Caribbean cruises, and the costlier airfare to/from Alaska & Canada for the one ways that families with children would not be able to afford these trips.

I may look into going at the end of May, over Memorial Day weekend instead of over Labor Day weekend. I plan to do a land trip before or after the cruise on my own, renting a car and driving to Denali.

Just plan on going to Denali after June 1 for the greatest access into Denali. I have gone many times over Memorial day and love it.

Have a great time planning. Also - we in the midwest end school in May (which is early compared to many school districts). Many people on the East and West coast go into the 2nd or 3 week of June.

Just FYI, I posted a while ago about taking along warm clothes for our cruise in May, and an Alaska resident (can't remember her name) made fun of me and said I wouldn't need them and invited me to stop and see her garden. ;) I live in Wyoming and it sounds like it may be colder here in May than in Alaska!

Just FYI, I posted a while ago about taking along warm clothes for our cruise in May, and an Alaska resident (can't remember her name) made fun of me and said I wouldn't need them and invited me to stop and see her garden. ;) I live in Wyoming and it sounds like it may be colder here in May than in Alaska!

I just grabbed the average low and high temps for Juneau:

May 40.1°F 55.7°F

Jun 46.1°F 61.6°F

It is usually colder at beginning of May compared to the end (like home in the midwest).

Edited by Coral

There can be a big difference between early May and late May. Use historical data for each port on your travel date to get an idea of weather conditions over the past 6 or 7 yrs. It only takes a few minutes to do.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/

If you're concerned about feeling the cold and damp, pack a set of long underwear. Leave the tags on in case you don't use them. And wear a wool sweater or fleece under your waterproof jacket.

I just grabbed the average low and high temps for Juneau:

May 40.1°F 55.7°F

Jun 46.1°F 61.6°F

It is usually colder at beginning of May compared to the end (like home in the midwest).

I'm contemplating doing the cruise northbound over memorial Day weekend, late May which puts us in Alaska to visit Denali and other locales early June. This should give us lots of daylight, warmer temps, and not as many children as later on in the summer.

Seabourn will be returning to Alaska next sumner. They have a very unique 14 day one way itinerary from anchorage to Vancouver which we have booked for July. We just completed an amazing holiday Antarctica cruise with Seabourn and while one I spoke with many of their expedition staff who will be one with us in Alaska. They are planning some really interesting zodiac rides, kayak trips and ice cave hiking ventures. I can assure you as there are no facilities for children there will be very few on board. And only 450 passengers means no lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just remember, while the weather is pleasant on land in May, viewing of the glaciers from the ship is very chilly. Be sure to bring warm clothing for that. We went twice in May and just loved it! Once south bound and once north. We rented a car upon arrival going north and toured a week then. It was a great vacation!

Just remember, while the weather is pleasant on land in May, viewing of the glaciers from the ship is very chilly. Be sure to bring warm clothing for that. We went twice in May and just loved it! Once south bound and once north. We rented a car upon arrival going north and toured a week then. It was a great vacation!

This is true. Viewing glaciers any time during the summer can be chilly or can be decent weather. Be prepared no matter when you go.

NB vs. SB - We opted for NB due to the scenery building and building as we went as well as the sense of "going TO Alaska".

Kids - avoid school out period and that's about it. We never saw many. HAL does tend to be less, maybe, but they do cater to kids with their "Club HAL" program. But does keep them busy and out of sight.

College Fjord can't be beat. Not on many itineraries but more tidewater (or close to) glaciers in one spot than you can believe. If it meant doing College Fjord and missing Glacier Bay it would be no contest for us.

May will be before the worst of mosquitoes in Denali area.

College Fjord can't be beat. Not on many itineraries but more tidewater (or close to) glaciers in one spot than you can believe. If it meant doing College Fjord and missing Glacier Bay it would be no contest for us.

May will be before the worst of mosquitoes in Denali area.

I have tentatively settled on Saturday May 26, 2018 Star Princess, NB Vancouver to Whittier. This sailing goes to College Fjord but the time is from 6:00pm-8:00pm. Will it be dark then to see the glacier? Seems like very bad timing to be here.

We will rent a car and drive to Denali and Kenai Peninsula from June 2-9.

Edited by susiesan