Rum Runner Risks

Clepire

No, you won't get kicked off for sneaking booze on, they will just confiscate them and you either lose it or they will let you pick it up at the end of the trip. In my opinion, sneaking booze on comes down to this- convenience of wanting to have a drink on your room or balcony and not having to run to the bar all the time. That's it. You can easily sneak on several mini bottles of whatever liquor you like to consume. For general around the boat drinking, they have drink packages now that are convenient and many times a good deal. Even throughout the year cruises will offer drink packages free so you can jump on those offers when you can. Costco tends to give cash cards when you book cruises with them that you could even put towards your drinks. So really nothing to worry about. if you want to sneak some booze on, go ahead, i wouldn't even be nervous about it, but in my own personal opinion I wouldn't overdo it.

I've always heard they are not allowed to open your bag outside of your presence, even if unlocked.

Its part of the aggrement you "sign" when you agree to the terms and conditions-

they can pretty much search anything you attmept to bring aboard- of course you can try to say no, but then they can just refuse your boarding and send you packing.

ah i see,

doesn't everyone fill their water bottles with Vodka, white rum or gin?

i don't but always assumed its a way to get booze on-board as they never check water bottles

:rolleyes:

We had our water bottles checked at a port of call. It was just water, but the person checking shook the bottles to make sure they did not have any bubbles in them.

I know they don’t kick you off for providing alcohol to underage kids. We went on a cruise with over 1,000 kids from Florida State and we saw a whole lot of that going on as well as sharing packages. I felt bad for the bar tenders. It was a mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It will be interesting what they will do when marijuana will be for sale as recreational in Canada. This is only a few months away. Technically when cruise ships are in Canadian waters people can go ashore at any port and buy it. I believe so many people in Canada will get in serious trouble at the USA border as people will be careless and forget they have a small amount.

Edited by Riverviewnb
missing word

I know they don’t kick you off for providing alcohol to underage kids. We went on a cruise with over 1,000 kids from Florida State and we saw a whole lot of that going on as well as sharing packages. I felt bad for the bar tenders. It was a mess.

My 19 year old son regularly used my wife's SeaPass card to get drinks in the evening. He got caught twice. They handed him the drink, he gave them the card, they went to make the charge and then came back and took the drink away from him (and removed the charge from our account). Luckily neither he nor my wife was booted off.

My 19 year old son regularly used my wife's SeaPass card to get drinks in the evening. He got caught twice. They handed him the drink, he gave them the card, they went to make the charge and then came back and took the drink away from him (and removed the charge from our account). Luckily neither he nor my wife was booted off.

Somewhat surprised they took the charge off

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

It will be interesting what they will do when marijuana will be for sale as recreational in Canada. . I believe so many people in Canada will get in serious trouble at the USA border as people will be careless and forget they have a small amount.

Something similar has been going on this week at Port Canaveral. NCL had a large group party ship going out and a number of people from California got busted trying to bring on weed, edibles, oils, etc.

The local cops said (and I am paraphrasing, of course), "Well, this isn't California, your "medical card" is no good here".

Today's paper said they are staffing up with LEOs and sniffer dogs at the port for the ship's return.

It will be interesting what they will do when marijuana will be for sale as recreational in Canada. This is only a few months away. Technically when cruise ships are in Canadian waters people can go ashore at any port and buy it. I believe so many people in Canada will get in serious trouble at the USA border as people will be careless and forget they have a small amount.

This happens all the time on the land boarders (wouldn't be surprised if it happens daily). CBP is a federal agency, and it's still a federal crime. With small amounts they usually get handcuffed and put in a holding cell while they deep search the vehicle for more. If nothing else is found, and no warrants, it gets confiscated and they get released. Same happens with US citizens entering Canada I believe from states that have legalized it. If you're not a citizen, I think you get denied entry (don't remember for how long).

If that 'small amount' adds up over the legal line, then you get arrested for trafficking.

We always use the wine bottle trick, and it's worked like a charm. Buy a few cheap bottles of wine with screw tops, and consume (or discard) the contents. Pour liquor into the now empty bottles, use shrink wrap and hair dryer or saran wrap to add an extra layer of seal at the top. Screw the top back on and use elmer's glue to attach it back to the bottom ring (super glue may make it challenging to open upon arrival to destination). Put a bottle into each luggage, and carry on a bottle each per person. In the unlikely event you do get called down to the naughty room - well, it's just wine sir! They'll apologize and give it to you. Just make sure that you don't put vodka into a clear wine bottle labeled merlot :D. Use tinted yellow or green bottles for clear liquor, and dark bottles for everything else, and you're golden. Bottles are reusable so it's essentially a one time investment. If you want to go really fancy you can also buy the foil caps on amazon to re-seal the bottle.

P.S. You're welcome

P.P.S Flame away :D

When they swipe the sea pass card your picture pops up on their screen. I doubt your son looks anything like your wife. My 20yo daughter turns 21 the day after our cruise. She looks alot like me. If they glanced at the photo they would think it was her. No way would I ever give her my Sea pass card to buy a drink.

My 19 year old son regularly used my wife's SeaPass card to get drinks in the evening . . . Luckily neither he nor my wife was booted off.

Not to hijack this thread, but this is something I wouldn't brag about. For a grown adult to encourage his/her child to violate cruise line policy not to mention violate the law is . . . let's just say, "not good." To continue to do it after being caught is . . . [i won't even go there].

I would only ask what type of lesson the parent is teaching the child . . .:rolleyes:

Not to hijack this thread, but this is something I wouldn't brag about. For a grown adult to encourage his/her child to violate cruise line policy not to mention violate the law is . . . let's just say, "not good." To continue to do it after being caught is . . . [i won't even go there].

I would only ask what type of lesson the parent is teaching the child . . .:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly.... that was why I mentioned my daughter will be 21 the day after the cruise and I would still not allow her to drink on the ship.

Rationalization is the lesson begin taught, My BIL (A Carnival cruise) <Threw that in for no good reason) had a graduation party for this son (18 in the US where the drinking age is/was 18.) He bought them a keg and let him and his friends have all they wanted. His rationalization was the kids were going to drink anyway, he would rather them do it there where he could supervise.

Your wife isn't too bright, is she ?

Something similar has been going on this week at Port Canaveral. NCL had a large group party ship going out and a number of people from California got busted trying to bring on weed, edibles, oils, etc.

The local cops said (and I am paraphrasing, of course), "Well, this isn't California, your "medical card" is no good here".

Today's paper said they are staffing up with LEOs and sniffer dogs at the port for the ship's return.

..So much for us being the "United" States of America when each state can do their own thing. Ridiculous.

Rationalization is the lesson begin taught

Actually, it's disregard for the law. I've just got to say that to me there's a difference between a kid trying to "scam" a drink on a cruise or anywhere else -- kids will be kids. But there's something that rubs me wrong about a parent purchasing alcohol for kids when it's against the law.

If someone wants to go with "rationalization," one could rationalize that it's ok to rob a convenience store because you need some extra cash. You can "rationalize" almost anything.

If I were running the ship, the first time I'd give a stern a warning. The next time, I'd code the SeaPass cards so no one in that cabin could purchase alcohol -- period.