Great Cruise (if you don't like chocolate)

suspend6

Cruise lines make enough profit from many other sources (shore tours, alcohol, spa, etc). There is no need to blatantly rip guests off in this way.

You lost me with these two sentences.

The purpose of every business on the planet is to make a profit for the owners. There is no such thing as "enough profit". If a business is not constantly looking for ways to improve their bottom line they are dying.

Besides...if you don't look at the price of something, that is on you and nobody else.

Noting he said Block not bar. To me bock implies more of a bulk size than a bar.

No, the Rolo Block is just a small, 100g bar. The Block designation is to differentiate it from the traditional Rolo format of bite-sized pieces.

Noting he said Block not bar. To me bock implies more of a bulk size than a bar.

I realize what the OP posted. My post wasn't a serious post. Obviously the OP and I were on the same page when I posted the comment based on follow up posts by the OP. Block is this case is not bulk.

Edited by davekathy

Was this a one pound candy bar? I feel really bad for you if it wasn't....$18 could buy 2 enormous bags of M &M's at the bog box store!

Thanks for warning all of us to ask for the price before we buy anything on the ship.

That's why I pack a couple of the really good dark chocolate bars when I need my chocolate fix. RCCL chocolate desserts just don't taste chocolatey enough. Oh how I wish I didn't like chocolate!

We chose a Royal Caribbean cruise as an alternative to the traditional Christmas/New Year at home. The cruise was good, and the family had a great time. My wife asked me to buy a block of Cadbury Rollo chocolate from the ship store. There was no price on it, but I did not think twice. Just as my wife was devouring the block, I looked at the sales docket. EIGHTEEN DOLLARS AND NINETY FIVE CENTS AMERICAN!!!!!!! Absolutely outrageous. Cruise lines make enough profit from many other sources (shore tours, alcohol, spa, etc). There is no need to blatantly rip guests off in this way. Shame on you Royal Caribbean. If you wish to charge such ridiculous prices, at least post the prices of the goods so guests can determine for themselves if they want to pay those kinds of prices. My gut feeling is that declaring prices like that would result in ZERO sales.
for being so oblivious and foolish as to not check your receipt....K.O.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

The transaction was done by signing a digital pad. The price must have been displayed, but I was not concerned about it - a block of chocolate - how much could that cost?

Yes, I should have been more diligent. But I would not have thought in my wildest dreams anybody could charge that much.

Stand by my first post....pay attention....K.O.

We've also noticed the prices in the shops can be high at times. It's not uncommon to have prices on the shelf rather than the items and sometimes those get knocked off so it makes it, even more, trouble to figure it out.

Sometimes something like a chocolate bar that is typically a couple of $$$ at a grocery store is 5x in a cruise shop. It's crazy. The few times I've paid the higher price I just figure it's partly my fault for not grabbing "the item" before cruising or while on a shore trip. But, we use those shops less and less these days and bring more and more of our own things like medicines, snacks, etc.

It was nice when the chocolates were on the pillows at night. My wife used to save them up for other times when she might want them. They used to have lots of chocolate in the buffets and sometimes buffets dedicated to chocolate, but not so much anymore.

Tom

Talking about overcharging. My wife needed Tylenol for a headache and we didn't bring any so I went down to the store and had to pay $12.50 for 24 tablets. In this case I had no choice. LOL

Again, when anyone sees this happening, it's best to call customer service when you get home, or send a note to the the CEO.

It may *seem* vain to do that, but doing it politely, and pointing out the gouging that is going on- I got the impression from that other thread that the higher ups don't even know it's happening. And they may do something if they know.

You lost me with these two sentences.

The purpose of every business on the planet is to make a profit for the owners. There is no such thing as "enough profit". If a business is not constantly looking for ways to improve their bottom line they are dying.

Besides...if you don't look at the price of something, that is on you and nobody else.

You have obviously missed the point. I am not against profit. I am against blatant ripoffs, excessive charges, pure greed. Happy to pay more than the regular "land" price, but don't appreciate being gouged. Tell me how anybody could possibly justify almost $19 for a block of chocolate.

Of course it is my mistake for purchasing with the attitude "it is only a block of chocolate, why would I check the price" - but the price itself is really the issue. Far too much.

You have obviously missed the point. I am not against profit. I am against blatant ripoffs, excessive charges, pure greed. Happy to pay more than the regular "land" price, but don't appreciate being gouged. Tell me how anybody could possibly justify almost $19 for a block of chocolate.

Of course it is my mistake for purchasing with the attitude "it is only a block of chocolate, why would I check the price" - but the price itself is really the issue. Far too much.

I'm with you on this one. I don't think it's a huge deal to not have looked at the price and thought "it's just a bar of chocolate." There are plenty of times I do this, for example, at the grocery store. I know I'm going to buy the thing anyway, so I may or may not glance at the price out of curiosity, but it won't change the fact that I'm going to buy it anyway.

The lesson here I suppose is that we can't take for granted that prices will be in a somewhat reasonable range anymore. People don't always look at prices, especially on vacation where you bring along a certain amount of money to spend as a whole, and when you're budget isn't super tight. The fact that you were willing to pay for the chocolate, pretty much regardless of the price, shows that you're ok with the ship making a profit. Otherwise you'd have acted like a penny pincher expecting to pay wholesale prices and complained about the price no matter what it was. I don't think it's outrageous for you to put your foot down at $18 for a rolo, haha.

Maybe the ship is taking advantage of the fact that many people on vacation don't look at prices and aren't on tight enough budgets to care about the small (or what should be small) purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ColoradoGurl

Have you checked the markup on a bottle of wine lately? Insane. But if we really want it, we pay.

Have you checked the markup on a bottle of wine lately? Insane. But if we really want it, we pay.

Yes, but when you are making your choice, the prices are all declared on the wine list. So if we buy the bottle, we have accepted the price and have been "pre-informed".

Talking about overcharging. My wife needed Tylenol for a headache and we didn't bring any so I went down to the store and had to pay $12.50 for 24 tablets. In this case I had no choice. LOL

You ever look at what a hospital charges for Tylenol? 😱

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

It must be a ship by ship thing, we got off the Liberty in December. I love Rolo and my wife loves M&M's - total was $5.50.

In Belize it was over $4 per bar.

So that's interesting...

Also, if you ever need Tylenol, Psuedofed or something over the counter, just go to the infirmary and get them out of the Vending machine. Much more cost effective.

Edited by csnarpy

It must be a ship by ship thing, we got off the Liberty in December. I love Rolo and my wife loves M&M's - total was $5.50.

In Belize it was over $4 per bar.

So that's interesting...

Also, if you ever need Tylenol, Psuedofed or something over the counter, just go to the infirmary and get them out of the Vending machine. Much more cost effective.

That's why I have mentioned a couple of times that it was probably an error! UPC scan was probably incorrect. To the OP, again, sorry this happened; but you have a responsibility too!

I am referring to the candy not the drug pricing. However, if you have ever needed Tylenol, or something similar, in an airport, hotel gift shop, etc. you pay cruise ship type pricing.