Are we aloud to bring food from the ship to beach

decibel123

It comes down to this.

Most ports have some restrictions on unpackaged food, fruit, etc. Some days they may check, some days they don't. Some checks may be more stringent than others. Some may toss the items, some may pull you aside and fine you. I have personally observed (several years ago) one couple arguing heavily at which point they were told they were no longer welcome on the island in question and they were sent back to the ship. No idea if they tried to get off later and succeeded or failed, but pretty sure they missed their excursion.

Since you have absolutely no idea what will happen at a given port until you get there, plan for the most restrictive (packaged foods, no meat no produce) and you will not have to worry.

The dogs were for food - they were wearing agriculture ministry vests. There were two check points - the first gave you the chance to be honest that you had food. Everyone said no, no food, and were promptly outed by the sniffer dogs. It was comical to watch. They were not finding sealed things like granola bars - but were finding fruit etc. There were announcements on board our sailing not to take anything off and there was a notice in the patter. Most of the folks being outed were from the two carnival ships docked with us - and yes, I could tell because they were all wearing their carnival lanyards or carrying different towels.

Interesting. They've must have recently tightened their restrictions sine we were last there. Sounds similar to Cabo.

Like I said I'll give them a test in a few weeks with some apple parts wrapped in an old napkin.

Yes there are usually checks in Cozumel but the last time we went there in Feb 2016 there was nothing in the patter & no announcements made prior to leaving the ship. Perhaps the dogs were for drugs.

We'll be there in a few weeks & I'll make it a point to test their check point & let you know.

They were there specifically for food. The table in front of them was filled with food they had confiscated and every once in a while the handler would reach down, grab a handful, raise his hand and yell this is not allowed. Then go back to checking bags. Every so often they would stop the line and clean off the table into a trash barrel to make room.

Most countries in the Caribbean have laws against food being brought into the country. Enforcement might be lax in some of them, but the laws do exist. Mexico on the other hand is usually not lax.

Yes there are usually checks in Cozumel but the last time we went there in Feb 2016 there was nothing in the patter & no announcements made prior to leaving the ship. Perhaps the dogs were for drugs.

We'll be there in a few weeks & I'll make it a point to test their check point & let you know.

Interesting. They've must have recently tightened their restrictions sine we were last there. Sounds similar to Cabo.

Like I said I'll give them a test in a few weeks with some apple parts wrapped in an old napkin.

They were there specifically for food. The table in front of them was filled with food they had confiscated and every once in a while the handler would reach down, grab a handful, raise his hand and yell this is not allowed. Then go back to checking bags. Every so often they would stop the line and clean off the table into a trash barrel to make room.

Most countries in the Caribbean have laws against food being brought into the country. Enforcement might be lax in some of them, but the laws do exist. Mexico on the other hand is usually not lax.

Someone is yanking your chain. :rolleyes:

Edited by Colo Cruiser

...........Mexico on the other hand is usually not lax.

Much of our produce comes from Mexico, especially when it's not in season here. Anything that'll effect Mexican Ag, will raise our prices. Leaving fresh produce onboard is an easy way to keep our produce prices down.

Edited by SadieN

At a Mexican port:

891113%20034%2011.13.14%20Dog%20sniffing%20for%20fruit%20on%20pier%20DSC02732_zpssansgvvh.jpg

891113%20035%2011.13.14%20Fruit%20to%20reinforce%20what%20the%20dog%20is%20sniffing%20for%20DSC02733_zpsdz1cshuh.jpg

Not so. It's neither in the patter, announced of the ship or made evident when leaving the ship with signs or any inspections. If all the Caribbean countries did have laws against it, they keep it a hidden secret from the cruise people.

Mexico excluded although I don't consider them part of the Caribbean anyway.

Much of our produce comes from Mexico, especially when it's not in season here. Anything that'll effect Mexican Ag, will raise our prices. Leaving fresh produce onboard is an easy way to keep our produce prices down.

Like a 20 % tariff? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Are you allowed to take a water bottle filled with tap water and ice off the ship or must you take a sealed bottle of bottled water?

I've taken bottled water off before with it already being opened and not completely full. I don't think that is an issue at all.

Not so. It's neither in the patter, announced of the ship or made evident when leaving the ship with signs or any inspections. If all the Caribbean countries did have laws against it, they keep it a hidden secret from the cruise people.

Mexico excluded although I don't consider them part of the Caribbean anyway.

In the other topic where we had this debate I posted the relevant sections of the laws concerning food being brought into the country for each of the countries that Princess ships visit. All of them have laws requiring any food being brought into the country by air or by ships to be declared and have penalties for violations. All of them list fresh fruit, milk products and meat products.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2416333

The fact that they might be lax in enforcing the laws does not mean that they don't exist. Last year on the Royal when we visited those countries on a back to back 20 day that hit both eastern and southern the ship did have notices. Have not done that route this year, so can not say if they still do.

Edited by RDC1

Even though I referenced the stream in the previous post here is the information that I looked up when this was debated before.

Now which would you rather have People visiting countries by cruise ship voluntarily follow the laws of the countries they visit? or have enough people violate the rules that the countries feel that they need to enforce the laws and check all passengers leaving the ships, delaying the exit process?

Fortunately most people follow the rules.

Regulations by country from their customs pages:

Grenada - Customs regulations prohibit the importation of food and agricultural items such as fruits, vegetables, meat, and soil.

Dominica - All agricultural produce imported must be accompanied by a Phytosanitary Certificate from the country of origin of produce.

All produce MUST BE INSPECTED upon arrival by the plant quarantine inspector:

The plant quarantine inspector reserves the right to reject or accept the produce based on its condition.

All imported produce must be pest and disease free, and free from soil.

Aruba,Bonaire, Curacao- Prohibited • Perishable foodstuffs requiring refrigeration • Plant and plant products •Meat and meat products

Barbados • Plant and plant products – unless authorised to do so

• Meat and meat products – unless authorised to do so

• Bags, clothing and other articles made from camouflage material

While not food related thought I would include the very strict laws in Barbados concerning anything with camouflage on it (restricted by law to their military)

The following is from Ed Hamilton & Co yacht charter agents giving instructions for people chartering from them. The customs web site tend to include more detail, but going to each country was getting a bit time consuming

BAHAMAS - No fresh fruits or vegetables. Packaged items such as canned and dry goods that are carried in for your own consumption are normally allowed.

BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS - No fresh fruits or vegetables.

ANTIGUA - No fresh fruits or vegetables.

GUADELOUPE - No fresh fruits or vegetables

MARTINIQUE - No fresh fruits or vegetables.

ST. LUCIA - No fresh fruits or vegetables.

ST. VINCENT & THE GRENADINES - No fresh fruits or vegetables. Packaged items such as canned and dry goods that are carried in for your own consumption are normally allowed. Items may be subject to inspection.

BELIZE - Meats require a permit from the Belize Department of Agriculture. No fresh fruits or vegetables Items may be subject to inspection and duty. Restrictions can vary from time to time and from official to official.

In the other topic where we had this debate I posted the relevant sections of the laws concerning food being brought into the country for each of the countries that Princess ships visit. All of them have laws requiring any food being brought into the country by air or by ships to be declared and have penalties for violations. All of them list fresh fruit, milk products and meat products.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2416333

The fact that they might be lax in enforcing the laws does not mean that they don't exist. Last year on the Royal when we visited those countries on a back to back 20 day that hit both eastern and southern the ship did have notices. Have not done that route this year, so can not say if they still do.

I checked all the 2015 patters and some of the 2014 patters from the Royal NONE of the Caribbean islands that the Royal visited had any warnings about removing food.

I follow what the ship says and in Nov there were no warnings or restrictions other than for St Thomas which was verbal.

And also NO CHECKS of any kind in any of the islands.

A reasonably person can only go by what the ship tells them or what is posted as they leave the ship- which it's not.

Out of 3,500 people leaving the Royal at a port how many people actually go out of they way to research island laws? Probably only one I can think of. :rolleyes:

Two easy solutions to the question of being -allowed- to bring a packed lunch off the ship .

1 Enjoy a beachfront meal at a restaurant or bar near the beach you are visiting. Of course,it will cost money,but you are on vacation - enjoy and relax!

2 Eat a filling breakfast on the ship,explore the port or visit a beach etc ,then return to the ship for a late lunch at the buffet or poolside grill.

It comes down to this.

Most ports have some restrictions on unpackaged food, fruit, etc. Some days they may check, some days they don't. Some checks may be more stringent than others. Some may toss the items, some may pull you aside and fine you. I have personally observed (several years ago) one couple arguing heavily at which point they were told they were no longer welcome on the island in question and they were sent back to the ship. No idea if they tried to get off later and succeeded or failed, but pretty sure they missed their excursion.

Since you have absolutely no idea what will happen at a given port until you get there, plan for the most restrictive (packaged foods, no meat no produce) and you will not have to worry.

Definitely pack some granola bars or other prepackaged and factory sealed items if you want to take a snack off the ship (except for Australia, which I've read doesn't allow ANY food products brought off a ship). This way, if you step off the gangway and there's the food doggies there, you'll be okay. There are food places on every island and in every port, so usually you would need to be prepared if you are on a special diet or will be in some remote area. If you don't want to eat at a local eatery, you will be allowed to return to the ship to eat. The Horizon, the International Cafe, and the poolside pizzeria and grill will be open for lunch. You can then leave the ship until all aboard time if you wish.

And if there aren't food doggies, you can still find someplace to eat while in port.

Two easy solutions to the question of being -allowed- to bring a packed lunch off the ship .

1 Enjoy a beachfront meal at a restaurant or bar near the beach you are visiting. Of course,it will cost money,but you are on vacation - enjoy and relax!

2 Eat a filling breakfast on the ship,explore the port or visit a beach etc ,then return to the ship for a late lunch at the buffet or poolside grill.

Cannot say if it was in the pater or not. It was on a sign where you pass through security on exiting the ship. On Barbados in was there with the notice that it was illegal to wear camo.

Do the Paters give any warning about Cozumel? Where it is quite clear actie measures are taking place.

Where are you getting access to old paters? I haven't looked at a pater since they started the Web system a couple of years ago.

I went through the patters for a number of cruises that go to Mexican ports where they actively search for food. None of them mention anything about the restrictions. Also checked some for Saint Thomas where people have clearly said that they have been notified not to bring food to shore, nothing there in the patters either.

Does not really surprise me, since I recall announcement being posted by the gang way and tender stations, not necessarily Patters.

Also would not surprise me if the ship said nothing. After all does the ship tell you that the spice basket you purchased in Grenada can result in a fine if not declared when you return to the US and is found by customs. Or that it might not be allowed in if it is declared. Nope.

The point is that the countries do have laws and those laws should be respected.

The Patter probably doesn't tell you that, in some countries, if you buy or possess any drugs you may never see the outside of a prison again but that doesn't mean you aren't still responsible for following the local laws.

Edited by Thrak

This has been beat around the bush many times. And your going to get 100 different answers.

Most responses here are partially correct and partially incorrect.

You can bring food off the ship if the following two things happen -

1. Its allowed by that country/port. We were not allowed to bring anything off the ship in Mexico. But in Gerainger Norway it wasn't an issue. Nor was it a problem in St. Thomas.

2. The cruise ship allows it. Just ask. We did and it was never an issue as long as it was allowed at that port. We packed fruit and snacks for a day of hiking in each port in Norway and it wasnt a problem.

It never hurts to ask. Thats my experience.

-Sean

Cannot say if it was in the pater or not. It was on a sign where you pass through security on exiting the ship. On Barbados in was there with the notice that it was illegal to wear camo.

Do the Paters give any warning about Cozumel? Where it is quite clear actie measures are taking place.

Where are you getting access to old paters? I haven't looked at a pater since they started the Web system a couple of years ago.

I save & scan all the old patters.

Although I haven't checked an old Cozumel patter yet it wouldn't surprise me not to see any warnings. Obviously there are restrictions by the inspections that you'll find when leaving the ship. In that case you can dispose of your food in their containers.

At any other Caribbean port where there are no prior indications, I'll be following the ships guidelines where to take lunch as I have been for over 30 years.

I just got off the Regal. When we were in Cozumel the Mexican authorities had dogs checking for food being taken off the ship. They were catching lots of people. I did not have time to hang around and see what was happening to them.

I just got off the Regal. When we were in Cozumel the Mexican authorities had dogs checking for food being taken off the ship. They were catching lots of people. I did not have time to hang around and see what was happening to them.

Food is not allowed off the ship in any Mexican Port. Atlantic or Pacific ports.

-Sean