Quit Bothering Me!

Subjective. Objective would make this much easier to debate. Free pass to you.

I feel that the rise in costs and deletion of certain menu items has made it not as special as it used to be, nor as good of a value. I did not say the current food is bad, and service experiences can vary so not worth a mention on my part except to say generally service is good.

For $50 to $60 for a couple to go, even just a few years ago, and with the old menu it was great. Now you can expect to spend $80++ on more meager selection and be presented with additional upcharge selections on top of that. I do realize some C&A members get BOGO at Chops and it can be included in the First Night Done Right promo bringing the price point lower under some circumstances, but even then I don't think it is as significant a step up as it once was. I am no longer impressed. I've got no issue at all if you continue to enjoy it.

The price is now reaching what I spend at home at a nice place like Morton's, Chop House, Capital Grille..... they serve way too much food in the specialty restaurants and at home, DH and I can share an appetizer, salad, entree' and skip dessert and spend less than $100. If we spend more and order two complete dinners, we can at least take left overs home.

Would NEVER pay for Johnny Rockets. Guys Burger blows them away. And it's FREE!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They should defranchise JR and turn it free. I know DCL is a premium but they have some of the best wraps, chicken fingers, fresh fruit, etc at 2 places pool side for free. Btw, had 5G in Jersey, mmm, not often we eat fast food and it's not the same in Canada. Who's "Guys" and where is it free?

They should defranchise JR and turn it free. I know DCL is a premium but they have some of the best wraps, chicken fingers, fresh fruit, etc at 2 places pool side for free. Btw, had 5G in Jersey, mmm, not often we eat fast food and it's not the same in Canada. Who's "Guys" and where is it free?

Guy's is on Carnival ships. It replaces the burger grill. It's named for Guy Fieri. A lot of people love it. I find the burgers to be too greasy and could eat only half. But then again, I found JR's too greasy. I only ate there when it was free, so I definitely wouldn't pay to eat there.

Getting back to the OP's remarks, I have even gotten phone calls in my cabin soliciting reservations at the specialty restaurants from C&A when they offered special pricing to members. Found that annoying too.

So I am heading out on Oasis in 2 weeks and planning on using the First Night Done Right special at Chops. Is that a good idea or does anyone recommend a different specialty restaurant?

Totally subjective, but my choice would be Giovanni's.

So I am heading out on Oasis in 2 weeks and planning on using the First Night Done Right special at Chops. Is that a good idea or does anyone recommend a different specialty restaurant?

We like a good steak and did Chops twice ending on the last night.

At the end of the cruise, the cuts will have aged longer (aging improves flavor). I don't know how much better the additionally priced "Dry Aged" would have been, but the regular 2" high filets were beautiful.

I don't like to go to a specialty restaurant the first night, because if we really like it, it sets the stage for subpar offerings later in the MDR or buffet, unless you look forward to going again, which is what we did lol (steak in the MDR on the Anthem was not close to Chops at all). Note not everyone likes the place, have said it varies ship to ship, day to day, ymmv.

If you are going to different specialties, I'd end with a bang, if sushi is your thing eg; Izumi. Like the other poster, it's going to be a very subjective decision.

I agree but this deal is only for 1st night. Probably to encourage people to go back. I'm good with the MDR, but for $15 bucks a person, I'll try a specialty restaurant.

Ah, I see. We had bought the 3 dinner package for $85/person ($28/restaurant), the kids ended up being free and while it said it could only be applied certain nights, they let us go any time and we were allowed Chops twice (cancelling Wonderland). Jamie O's didn't impress us.

$15 for Chops is a great price for what would cost $200+ at Ruth Chris (if you sample various apps and desserts), provided you like going to steak houses.

We did Allure of the Seas last week and experienced the same sales pushes everywhere. During dinner, outside the Windjammer in the Promenade and then every time we got off the ship or were on our excursion there was even more sales pushes by the locals. And then to top it all off, the last day and half seemed to be filled with tip us extra here, and give us more money for this if we provided a Wow moment. Either at the bar, by the pool, in our stateroom on the departure educational video, etc. Enough already folks.

It didn't ruin our experience but it definitely detracted from having a more relaxing vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did Allure of the Seas last week and experienced the same sales pushes everywhere. During dinner, outside the Windjammer in the Promenade and then every time we got off the ship or were on our excursion there was even more sales pushes by the locals. And then to top it all off, the last day and half seemed to be filled with tip us extra here, and give us more money for this if we provided a Wow moment. Either at the bar, by the pool, in our stateroom on the departure educational video, etc. Enough already folks.

It didn't ruin our experience but it definitely detracted from having a more relaxing vacation.

On same cruise. True, it's almost like some of the Islands in the Promenade but we just say NO THANK YOU and move on. Never heard to tip more. We had a GREAT cruise.

I agree about the "over selling" of restaurants, other services and products. I'm sure it mainly came about since the people working in various areas rely on tips and commissions. Mostly, I think more affordable pricing at restaurants and services like spa would correct the issue.

I also think the pushing of the specialty restaurants is excessive. We eat specialty a lot, and always make all our reservations as soon as we board. I'd love to be able to have a meal without someone trying to sell me another one![emoji44] On the Liberty in November they were even trying to sell dining during suite breakfast and lunch in GT!

This is sort of connected to the selling theme, when we were on Splendour last year in Dubai I was genuinely shocked walking past 'Next Cruise' at the hard sell and almost shouting by the sales representative.

It was proper banging on the table, "ARE YOU GOING TO BUY NOW" to this elderly couple.

I will add it wasn't the Loyalty Ambassador but one of the assistants, typing this now I still can't quite believe it :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
I've experienced it both ways, but when we are hounded by the upsell crew and bombarded by PA announcements from the moment we step onboard so much that it makes the cruise seem like the county fair, I complain about it on the end-of-cruise comments and make a point of telling them that because of their aggressive marketing, I refused to purchase any specialty dining and/or spa services. If I wanted a Persian bazaar, I would go to the middle east.

They are playing the percentages just like time share sales people, if you approach everybody, you'll rope in a few.

This sparks my same sentiment - on Anthem the sales pitches became so bad we had to avoid the crazy RCL sales lady near the jewelry shop, she wouldn't leave us be, so we had to walk completely over, around and down past the promenade store area completely. Even the raffles became annoying.

I am sure that some of the spas and restaurants are being run by outsiders. People actually pay to operate these things on the promise

that they will make money.... the only ones the cruise lines keep are the ones that are profitable. One born every minute!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am sure that some of the spas and restaurants are being run by outsiders. People actually pay to operate these things on the promise

that they will make money.... the only ones the cruise lines keep are the ones that are profitable. One born every minute!

Spa, yes.

Restaurants....I don't think so.

:)

Spa, yes.

Restaurants....I don't think so.

:)

I agree...the restaurants are run by the cruise line. The spa, the photo gallery, and some of the shops are concessions.

Just off the 7-day Eastern on the Allure.. did not have the same BUY, BUY, BUY experience of some here.. approached a few times by the spa people, but other than that ZERO pressure sales.

Maybe it was my 'don't bother even talking to me look'.. :cool::mad:

The ship is simply incredible.. 6,200 guests and never really felt crowded.. venues & activities are well spaced so 'too many people' was not an issue..

took advantage of $15p/p first night at Giovanni's (food very good - service just ok).. :rolleyes:

Chops on second night (had a bogo) - outstanding service & excellent Filet..:D

MDR: very good food, slow service.. Windjammer my new BFF for bkfast & lunch:o

can answer questions if wanted..

We were on the Harmony Xmas Holiday with our immediate family and then returned on Jan 7 sailing, this time with my bro n his wife.

We did not feel pressured or bothered at all, we just let them know (with a smile) we have a Royal Star Class stateroom.

I think they do get a commission on the # of reservations they are able to sell...they're probably just trying to increase their income along with their minimal tips they earn. Minor things such as this does not bother us at all especially being in a cruise when you keep saying to yourself " This is the Suite Life" plus count your blessings and be grateful that you're able to afford n healthy to go on a cruise.

....just saying[emoji847]