Quit Bothering Me!

I know a person (a nice, kind person who I like) who describes events in a way that always seems to exaggerate the intensity of the experience. For instance, I heard her describe a conversation in which someone said to her, "I don't know, maybe you shouldn't have done that."

In her words, "they just raked me over the coals up one side and down the other."

This wasn't true, but that was her perception.

I wonder if this isn't the case with some of the posts here. I've been on a number of cruises and I've never felt pressured at all. I've been approached with a sales pitch, but I've never been pestered or subjected to the hard sell that some seem to be describing.

YMMV, but I wonder if some folks haven't built this up in their minds a bit more than is justified.

When they ask, say no, thank you. They should leave you alone after that. Works for me.

I enjoyed your post. :)

We had the BOGO offer on Freedom a couple of weeks ago, and both Chops and Giovanni's were near empty when we ate there. That being said, don't immediately dismiss the sales people -- we were offered 20% off Giovanni's (which we didn't take) and half off Sabors (which we did take advantage of...and the restaurant was almost empty as well)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On Navigator now, and used the 1st 2 nights bogo at Giovanni's. We had reserves at 6pm and it was empty. However, as the night went on the restaurant was pretty full. Also, haven't experienced any hard sell for the specialty restaurants. I also, got a 20% off my next visit.

A simple "no thank you" kinda works but they forget they've asked you when they see you again, and again.

They also engage you in a way that the response sounds off, something like, "Do you like adventures?", I say "no thank you" = no, I bought a cruise but I hate adventures lol.

I didn't see any Japanese guys (Izumi) or steak waiters (Chops) walking around, like they're trying to sell a circus show haha.

There's a lot of selling going on onboard....I miss those good old days where there wasn't. I found the most annoying were the ones hanging out in the Royal Promenade every night hawking Botox and acupuncture onboard our last Mariner cruise :eek::eek:

I won't dispute the OP's findings and yours, but I don't like the trend wither. I first noticed the BS hype for over priced arch support pushed as a class on Jewel in 2012. My most recent cruise on Majesty they were hyping that crap in the atrium as well.

archsupports.jpg

The photo mentions the gym on deck 9, but they did have someone stationed her frequently.

I sailed the Oasis two years ago, and was never pestered to reserve in a specialty restaurant. My hubby and I feel that we are paying for our food in cruise fare, why pay to eat in a specialty? Well, this January, we broke with tradition once, and booked at the Brazilian steakhouse onboard our ship (NCL Getaway) because we wanted to do something special for my birthday, and the price was right ($25pp). It was excellent, but so aren't the MDRs, in my opinion. And the buffet on the Getaway was the BEST buffet on any cruise we've taken! Nobody on the Getaway pestered us to reserve anywhere, either. Enough free venues on that ship to never have to pay!

I won't dispute the OP's findings and yours, but I don't like the trend wither. I first noticed the BS hype for over priced arch support pushed as a class on Jewel in 2012. My most recent cruise on Majesty they were hyping that crap in the atrium as well.

archsupports.jpg

The photo mentions the gym on deck 9, but they did have someone stationed her frequently.

LMAO !! OK now THAT takes the tacky award.

"FAT FEET" ??! :p Hahahaha!

Yes, I refuse to pay those kind of prices for a meal when I have already paid for food in my fare. As someone said, it's not an upcharge, it's what you would pay to eat out at home, or more and when you add that to what you already paid in the fare, too much. I am not a foodie and prefer to not spend extra money on food anyway.

Sorry but we've got to have our Chops at least one night

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

+1

If you are a steak person, book Chops, the steaks will have aged a bit by the end of the cruise too. Order multiple apps/sides/desserts, same price.

2" high filet, well marbled, pink throughout...

32539428212_e74199da30_c.jpg

+1

If you are a steak person, book Chops, the steaks will have aged a bit by the end of the cruise too. Order multiple apps/sides/desserts, same price.

2" high filet, well marbled, pink throughout...

32539428212_e74199da30_c.jpg

We love Chops...The best steak house on the 7 seas! Will always enjoy Chops if it's on our ship

Sent from Psycho's iPad using Forums

We sailed Oasis in October and there was a huge push on specialty restaurants, especially in the promenade. We were asked several times, and kindly said we already had made reservations to which one gentleman replied, "how about coming for lunch then." We definitely noticed the upsell on the specialty restaurants. The interesting thing is, it was the least we have ever enjoyed a specialty dinner. It was just ok and, for us, wasn't worth the upcharge. I'd rather save that money for a date night at home, at a restaurant we will enjoy more. JMHO

We sailed Oasis in October and there was a huge push on specialty restaurants, especially in the promenade. We were asked several times, and kindly said we already had made reservations to which one gentleman replied, "how about coming for lunch then." We definitely noticed the upsell on the specialty restaurants. The interesting thing is, it was the least we have ever enjoyed a specialty dinner. It was just ok and, for us, wasn't worth the upcharge. I'd rather save that money for a date night at home, at a restaurant we will enjoy more. JMHO

I'm with you on this one. We did Sabor, Chops and Giovanni's Table on our Freedom cruise last April. Mom had accumulated enough onboard credit to pay for both of us to go and we had discussed it pre-cruise. When we first boarded the ship we were asked on the Promenade and made our reservations then. We did 5:30 seatings and although each restaurant was empty when we got there they were usually pretty full by the time we left. Even so, I wasn't particularly impressed with any of them except for Sabor's guacamole which was quite yummy. I have dined at some pretty nice restaurants over the last 20 years and I am a bit picky when it comes to food, price and service. For $25 per person including an appetizer, main course and dessert it was a pretty good deal, but I just didn't find the food itself all that exceptional. I, too, would rather save the money for something at home that I enjoy more.

It seems to me that the waitstaff doing the "selling" are just doing what they were told. They did not have a choice. I just smile and say "already booked" even if that is a lie. I don't let it bother me. The crew work so hard, I try to be pleasant whenever I interact with them.

I treat the "perfume spritzer" ladies in the department store or the food sample ladies the same way.

Margee

Just off the Oasis on Sunday and never felt pressured to buy anything. Didn't see specialty dinner sellers at the Windjammer doors. Was only asked twice if we wanted pictures in the MDR - said no both times, no pressure. Spa girls on the promenade took my "no thanks" with no problems. On the promenade, we heard the sale announcements, but no one was forcing us over there.

And on Oasis at least when they have photo areas set up, you could still walk by without walking thru them. On smaller ships, you just about have to wait for them to finish before you can get by.

I agree with the poster who gave the funny exaggerated examples. Some people feel someone asking a question is pestering them, I just think it's a question. Just so long as they don't grab my arm and make me stay there listening to them, I call it a question. 😎

I think reservations are down too. We walked into Sabor (Liberty) a Friday night around 7:30 and the hostess immediately said, "Table for two, this way." I interrupted her to say we wanted reservations for Saturday's lunch...and she seemed disappointed. The restaurant wasn't even half full, and we had our choice of ANY time during Saturday's lunch service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much was lunch at Sabor's?

I've experienced it both ways, but when we are hounded by the upsell crew and bombarded by PA announcements from the moment we step onboard so much that it makes the cruise seem like the county fair, I complain about it on the end-of-cruise comments and make a point of telling them that because of their aggressive marketing, I refused to purchase any specialty dining and/or spa services. If I wanted a Persian bazaar, I would go to the middle east.

They are playing the percentages just like time share sales people, if you approach everybody, you'll rope in a few.

I don't blame the wait staff in any way. They are pressured to sell and that comes down from the top, I'm sure. That's why I'm always extra nice when they approach me. However, it was pretty high pressure on our last cruise, especially on the promenade. It was just ok for us. Nothing as special as the old days, and more expensive than ever.

Subjective. Objective would make this much easier to debate. Free pass to you.

I feel that the rise in costs and deletion of certain menu items has made it not as special as it used to be, nor as good of a value. I did not say the current food is bad, and service experiences can vary so not worth a mention on my part except to say generally service is good.

For $50 to $60 for a couple to go, even just a few years ago, and with the old menu it was great. Now you can expect to spend $80++ on more meager selection and be presented with additional upcharge selections on top of that. I do realize some C&A members get BOGO at Chops and it can be included in the First Night Done Right promo bringing the price point lower under some circumstances, but even then I don't think it is as significant a step up as it once was. I am no longer impressed. I've got no issue at all if you continue to enjoy it.

Yes subjective, I will say the rise in cost has been alarming for the specialty restaurants, that being ssid I still use them. K.O.:o

We usually cruise during our anniversary and will make a reservation for a couple of the nights on our cruise. I figure in the cost in our vacation money and do not take into account that we have already paid for food in our "Fare". We do it cause we like it and actually like the fact that it is not always crowded with reservations as we like to get away a night or two from the hustle and bustle of the MDR and enjoy the much slower pace and quietness of some of the specialty restaurants! :cool:

and this is why food posts are useless. The topic about food is sooo objective that anyone new looking for help will more than likely be more confused! Have eaten at Chops 5 of my 6 cruises last year and had wonderful meals and service, go figure?.....K.O.:)

I'll split the difference, I'm really consistent with myself. I've had 2 great experiences with Chops on Freedom, 2 ok ones on Allure and one terrible time on Oasis, all related to food quality.

We always book speciality restaurants before we go.

We used to book 3 so when there where 3 formal nights my husband would wear his suit in the first one but just a nice shirt and pants on the other 2 .

Also it's a nice change of scenery .

I'll split the difference, I'm really consistent with myself. I've had 2 great experiences with Chops on Freedom, 2 ok ones on Allure and one terrible time on Oasis, all related to food quality.

I agree consistency between the ships does not exist but even at its best Chop's food and service does not compare with any of the great steak houses like Commander's Palace, Ruth Chris or Arnaud's. I'm not knocking Chop's just calling it for what it is. A run of the mill steakhouse. I often eat there but don't have high expectations.

I agree, that they are hawking the Restaurant on X as well. Many nights there are few people early but maybe some later diners. We have found them not truly worth it, except for rare occasions.

However, if a cruiser lives in the woods with no nice restaurants around, they might be a special place to dine.

We had reservations for 830 at Samba on Allure. We wanted something a bit earlier but all locked out online. Once our day for Samba was here, we asked the SL Concierge if we could change to earlier. He looked and said just show up, they had plenty of seats. We showed up around 630 and only 2 tables were in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums