Quit Bothering Me!

Just off Freedom of the Seas. We had a fantastic cruise with one exception. Reservations for the specialty restaurants are obviously down since you are constantly asked as you enter the Windjammer if you'd like to make reservations. We signed up for the BOGO before we left, so I just kept saying that we already had reservations. They also stopped us when walking past Sabor. Then, about the 3rd day, they started interrupting our conversations at lunch. I really felt their attempt to sell the specialty reservations was overly annoying. Maybe if they lowered the price more people would actually try these restaurants and they wouldn't have to do their sales pitch all day long.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

We just got off Navigator of the Seas and it was the same except they would also come bug you if you were having breakfast or lunch in the dining room or sitting in one of the lounges in the evening! Same with everything from watch sales to spa sales on the Promenade deck! The Promenade deck used to be our favorite but we avoided it on this cruise. I told my hubby that it felt like we were walking down the street in Mexico! Not cool Royal Caribbean, NOT COOL!!!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Forums mobile app

We were on Freedom in November and experience this the most that we ever have. I understand there will be sales stands in the promenade or outside the windjammer. But interrupting us at our table in the windjammer and at our table in the dining room, both times trying to sell us a night Giovannis was too much and unnecessary. We also got a sales pitch for Sabor as we were sitting in the Schooner before dinner one night, but I didn't mind that as much as being interrupted during our family dinner in the MDR.

When we walk by a Sabor, we are always asked if we would like to make a reservation. I have no issues with this at all. But my response is always the same,

"No thank you, but I'll take a Cucumber Jalapeño Margarita to go please." and them hand them my sea pass.

;p

Did that work? Every ship we've been on we couldn't get the Cucumber, Jalapeño unless we were in Sabor :rolleyes:

Did that work? Every ship we've been on we couldn't get the Cucumber, Jalapeño unless we were in Sabor :rolleyes:

We've purchased many of these to go from Sabor. There is a few minutes wait though. But they also came through. FYI, at the R Bar or Champagne Bar, it isn't quite the same drink, but they make a splendid Cucumber, Basil, Jalapeño Martini.

We've purchased many of these to go from Sabor. There is a few minutes wait though. But they also came through. FYI, at the R Bar or Champagne Bar, it isn't quite the same drink, but they make a splendid Cucumber, Basil, Jalapeño Martini.

That's our favorite margaritas. Wife has got pretty good at making them too!:D

I won't dispute the OP's findings and yours, but I don't like the trend wither. I first noticed the BS hype for over priced arch support pushed as a class on Jewel in 2012. My most recent cruise on Majesty they were hyping that crap in the atrium as well.

archsupports.jpg

The photo mentions the gym on deck 9, but they did have someone stationed her frequently.

That sign reminds me of the one on a recent cruise where somebody had erased an "l" from the board promoting "Secrets to a Flatter Stomach." :')

Just off Freedom of the Seas. We had a fantastic cruise with one exception. Reservations for the specialty restaurants are obviously down since you are constantly asked as you enter the Windjammer if you'd like to make reservations. We signed up for the BOGO before we left, so I just kept saying that we already had reservations. They also stopped us when walking past Sabor. Then, about the 3rd day, they started interrupting our conversations at lunch. I really felt their attempt to sell the specialty reservations was overly annoying. Maybe if they lowered the price more people would actually try these restaurants and they wouldn't have to do their sales pitch all day long.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

We are just off Indy and not once were we bothered about specialty dining. Had great meals at the main dining room

I begrudge having to pay full price for a meal that essentially is already paid for in the price of my cruise. I would be more tempted it if cost an extra £5 or £10 as an addition to top up the price.

Of course, if it were cheaper many would be more interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When we walk by a Sabor, we are always asked if we would like to make a reservation. I have no issues with this at all. But my response is always the same,

"No thank you, but I'll take a Cucumber Jalapeño Margarita to go please." and them hand them my sea pass.

;p

Oh my that sounds good. I'll have to remember this drink!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just finished our first cruise and we were surprised by all the people who approached us trying to sell dining packages. We were approached for 3 days by several different people in several different places onboard. We did purchase the buy one get one free. The meals were good but then we ate in the MDR and in windjammer and those meals were good as well. We will not pay extra to eat at the specialty restaurants again. Again they were good but didn't wow us in anyway. No need to pay extra

We ate at Chops once. The wine that came with the meal which was already an up charge was bitter so we had to buy a bottle at $52 extra (not sold by the glass). Then there was pressure to buy from the premium part of the menu which was another up charge. Would never go back. Food was just ok.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We quit chops when they added prices to half of their steaks in addition to the already higher prices. And now Giavonnis has gotten rid of the filet...saber is ok but expensive for what you get. We will only go to any of them with BOGO. The food in the MDR is ok with us.

We just ate in Giovanni's (Jewel 2/5 sailing) and I had the filet.

Jess [emoji41]

A simple "no thank you" kinda works but they forget they've asked you when they see you again, and again.

They also engage you in a way that the response sounds off, something like, "Do you like adventures?", I say "no thank you" = no, I bought a cruise but I hate adventures lol.

I didn't see any Japanese guys (Izumi) or steak waiters (Chops) walking around, like they're trying to sell a circus show haha.

That I might have gone for, especially if it had elephants! 🤣

• 5 months later...

I agree it's too expensive and if you want dry aged steak at Chops for example, you have to pay even more. So that plus what you already pay plus the fact that meals are included in the MDR it is a little steep. I realize it's inline with what you'd pay on land but on land, you don't have the option of free food in a MDR. If they made it more reasonable, they'd have a lot more interest for sure.

I haven't experienced any crazy pushing but our group of 14 got a great deal on Chefs Table last year because we all booked together.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

People's definition of crazy or over the top varies, but when on Freedom (2015) there were plenty of people on the promenade pushing everything from premium dining, drink packages, and spa treatments, but they didn't bother you unless you walked up to them. Sabor was new then so we walked up and made reservations while the guy on the promenade was making Guacamole and giving out samples. Adventure (2017) was the first time I had someone approach me while I was eating in the Windjammer. I found it annoying, but was able to get away with a simple no.

Premium dining must be way down as everyone is saying as Royal started these packages and saying on night must be night1. On my Adventure cruise tablemates had this package and they were required to use it on night 1 and 2.

What I find more annoying than the hype for specialty dining reservations is being hounded by photographers every time I turn around. I hate it when I'm interrupted at dinner with an insistent photographer who keeps trying to snap pictures of everyone at the table. At this point in my cruising "career" I could sell them pictures!

And what is sad is that the quality of the photographs are terrible. On our first cruise, my wife and I bought the dinner photos, because they were good. Since then, the only photos that we bought were of our son, on the pier with the likes of a pirate, a fisherman, or a bear. He used to be little, cute, and willing to mug for a camera. (Now is a tall teenager who constantly broods and despises having his picture taken.)

But, the photos of us, whether at dinner or in front of a background, are usually horrible. I always wonder if RC photographers are employees who enjoy photography before starting with RC, or does RC simply offer a crash course to employees who think that being a photographer is better than waiting tables or cleaning cabins.

We've spent three weeks on Royal ships this year ... two weeks on Celebrity ... and have three weeks coming up on HAL later in the year ... that's pretty typical of our cruising year ... we have never been bothered by anyone trying to sell anything anytime anywhere on the ship. Not that we haven't been approached, we're just able to tune them out, a quick "no thank you" and we're back to doing whatever we were doing in the first place ... it's certainly never been enough to spoil our day, or meal, or whatever ...

Now, in some of the ports, it can become annoying ... maybe even a little frightening ...

One thing that annoyed me in the MDR last year was when the waiter said "I've got a personal special offer for you tonight, if you have the Chops Grill Steak I will get you a 50% discount on it for tonght only"...

I had no intention of getting it anyway, but I then heard the waiter on a table near ours say something similar to his guests. It was pretty obviously they'd be asked to push it that evening.

If I wanted the Chops Steak, I'd go to Chops. I don't want to go to the MDR and be asked to pay for food.

Having to duck and dive away from the Vitality Spa staff outside the Windjammer is just as bad :D