Craziest thing you've seen another passenger do

danielbriere

A gentleman being pushed in a wheelchair by his wife out on to the lounge chairs on deck 5. She struggled through the ship, asking people to move chairs etc. so she could get past. Then outside she stopped the wheelchair by the large, heavy wooden loungers. He manoeuvred himself across and sat down.

Off she trotted down the deck. He then proceeded to get off the lounger, as he realised she hadn't got him a wooden footstool. He walked down the promenade and stopped to lift one of the very heavy wooden footstools. He carried it back to the other end of the deck, placed it at the end of his lounger chair and went on to manoeuvre it backwards and forwards until he got it just right. I turned around to look at my 3 companions who all sat with their jaws dropped to the floor. All that came out of my my DH's friend's mouth was that even he would have struggled to lift one of those that far :eek:!

Next evening in the theatre, we saw the gentleman concerned being pushed again by his wife/companion to the special disabled area - again, she was asking pax to keep to the left so she could get through. Now obviously I don't know why he was in the wheelchair, but having watched him carry that wooden footstool as far and at complete ease as he did, I wondered if his wife knew what he was up to when her back was turned?

Another incident: while waiting for my panini to be cooked on Millie, someone stood next to me in the queue eating the chips/fries straight from the tray - one after the other - as though it was her own private plate of food. She continued whilst other pax were using the tongs around her, taking what they needed and putting in on their own plate.

Some disabilities are progressive. Perhaps the man had MS or Myasthenia Gravis. I have MG and use a scooter. I can easily lift 100 pounds. But walk 100 yards and I am in trouble. Just because someone can walk 100 feet doesn't mean they don't need a wheelchair. I am just stating this because most people do not realize that there are disabilities that are easily aggravated even though those people look perfectly able bodied.

My neighbor in NJ is a Bayonne Fireman. He states when the ships come in it is rare when they are not sent there for one reason or another.

A little off topic but it is rare that the ship does the Bermuda run without having at least one fatality from the scooters in Bermuda.

Wow, I believe you about the scooters. We were staying in a hotel awhile back in Bermuda and one of our children got an ear infection. We took him to a hospital clinic, and the ER was filled with scooter accidents. It's a big part of their tourist industry, so they try to keep it quiet. My DH had an accident on his scooter and got banged up, but no medical treatment necessary. Stay away from those scooters!! Even if you're a seasoned biker!

Had another interesting encounter on my own balcony. One morning I got up early on a sea day and was sitting buck naked on my balcony. Got that weird feeling and looked up to catch the 80+ year old gal next door peering around the balcony divider. Hope she wasn't disappointed:rolleyes:

The reason I put a towel down on most every chair in the stateroom and balcony.

So I guess I kinda have a story to contribute. Unfortunately, the perpetrator was yours truly.

A few years ago, my husband and I took a babymoon cruise to Alaska (RCI). He really wanted to attend the Love and Marriage game show but I was already in stretch pants and a t shirt for the night, and it didn't start till 10 p.m.. I even already had my contacts out and was wearing my coke bottle glasses. Well, he essentially begged so I told him I'd walk down to the theater with him and stay a few mins but I wasn't changing. This was satisfactory to him. So off we went. When we got there, my husband thought it'd be "funny" to enter us into the contest thinking there's no way we'd ever get picked because of the amount of people there. Well guess who got picked 😠

So up we went, in all my frumpy, coke bottle and pajama clad glory.

We actually ended up winning, so there's that. But for the rest of the week it was replayed on the TV.

I will tell one on myself. On a Reflection cruise, I went to bed and the turn-down chocolate had fallen down off of the pillow. So my wife and I are sleeping and a couple hours later I wake up to find something dark all over the sheets and my wife...at first fearing it was blood. Once we turned the lights on we saw it was chocolate that had melted everywhere...even in my wife's hair. Needless to say she was not happy at having to take a shower at 2:00am. Also, I felt I needed to bring the cabin steward in the next morning in person to explain to him that it was chocolate and not something else:D He said it happens all the time.

This one is a self-identify ... yes, I did the crazy ... got on an elevator with hubby, daughter and niece with the intent to go from bottom of ship to top. Held the door for a couple following behind us, then the masses piled in, and kept piling in with myself and family pushed to the very back corner. Elevator got to the point that it was "buzzing" weight overload ... the doors would not close. NO one was moving. I, being 5ft and a few, was crammed so far into the corner I couldn't move. Then it happened, my first panic attack. I started shaking, sweat rolling off my forehead ... still NO one was moving. I started screaming, then the "big bad word," that I never say, rolled off my tongue ... GET THE F OUT OF MY WAY ... the folks parted like the Red Sea and I quickly got off, with hubby and kids following. I felt I couldn't breath and had to take a minute to catch my breath. My daughter was so shocked because "Mom" never curses. All individuals were now crowded back onto the elevator, and it was still "buzzing"' even with the four of us off. Needless to say, I got my exercise on that ship, never again took the elevator, in fact I rarely take it anywhere to this day if possible. I'm sure the other passengers were saying "there is that crazy lady."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A tad off topic but you haven't lived until you get on an older NYC mfg. loft building elevator and head up in the elevator which because of a brown out in the city does not stop at the floor you have pressed nor at the next ten floors that you have immediately pressed in panic. That was thirty years ago and I have trouble in elevators that go up more than 6 floors or have more than two or three other people in them.

PS: Obviously as I am still here ,the elevator eventually did stop at a floor. I got out and walked back down to the floor I needed to be on and from that day walked up the14 floors to the business I needed to be at.

On an average trip of 10 days(or more)about 3 pax will die on the cruise. This was according to the staff I asked on the QM2.

Of course on a World cruise with the average age a bit higher, and the length of the cruise longer the total number of decreased can mount. Relatives of the decreased are generally given the choice of having the deceased off loaded and flown home at the relatives expense or the ship will bring the deceased back to their home port. This brings up the question of what does the ship do when the morgue (yes all ships have one) is full and there is a need for additional cold storage. Yes you guessed it, The ship's meat lockers are used but this of course is not widely know information and may even get excised from this thread as it will make a few people nervous.

I am really enjoying these stories...here are just a few of my outrageous experiences....

Many years ago on one of my very first cruises the ship was packed with a very usual group. It was the Carnival Mardi Gras in the 80's a four day cruise. I think the cost was $99! Well by the end of the first day we were convinced that a Florida Psychiatric center closed for 4 days and sent all there patients on the Mardi Gras. First we me a couple at dinner that introduced themselves as Lurch and Susan. Lurch carried on lengthy discussions with himself and yelled " 3 quarters and an orange" repeated all during dinner. Susan yelled at him " Read my lips cupcake..shut up!" They proceeded to get into a fist fight when Susan punched Lurch...security eventually carried Susan (kicking and screaming out of the dining room). Lurch sat there crying. (So ackward). After dinner I stopped in the ladies room and heard a lady crying in the stall..she told me she got stuck in the little stall and couldn't get out. I climbed on top of the toilet and looked over the wall to see if I could help her...well I couldn't. She was really wedged in there! I really felt badly for her because word started to spread and other passengers starting coming in to climb on a toilet and look over the wall to see her. I gave her my wrap to cover herself up. About 20 minutes later maintainence workers finally arrived..they literally had to remove the stall walls to get her out!

The next day I really thought things could not get any crazier...well they did! First, the bathroom lady was out on the deck with the wrap I loaned her over her shoulders telling some woman that admired it that it was her "souvenir"! I kindly asked for it back and she told me to F off!

About an hour later there was a lot of commotion on deck..Susan and Lurch were back and they were really fighting! Susan then jump overboard! Literally over board! Lurch ran over to where Susan jump and yelled. " I don't need you". He then went to the other side of the ship and he too jumped overboard! Both were rescued and not heard from again until we were getting off the ship...yes they were having a first fight on the gangway!

Good times on the Mardi Gras!

Of course on a World cruise with the average age a bit higher, and the length of the cruise longer the total number of decreased can mount. Relatives of the decreased are generally given the choice of having the deceased off loaded and flown home at the relatives expense or the ship will bring the deceased back to their home port. This brings up the question of what does the ship do when the morgue (yes all ships have one) is full and there is a need for additional cold storage. Yes you guessed it, The ship's meat lockers are used but this of course is not widely know information and may even get excised from this thread as it will make a few people nervous.

I'm not sure how they would handle it. I could make a joke, but I've noticed a lot of folks on this site are pretty thinned skinned!

I am really enjoying these stories...here are just a few of my outrageous experiences....

Many years ago on one of my very first cruises the ship was packed with a very usual group. It was the Carnival Mardi Gras in the 80's a four day cruise. I think the cost was $99! Well by the end of the first day we were convinced that a Florida Psychiatric center closed for 4 days and sent all there patients on the Mardi Gras. First we me a couple at dinner that introduced themselves as Lurch and Susan. Lurch carried on lengthy discussions with himself and yelled " 3 quarters and an orange" repeated all during dinner. Susan yelled at him " Read my lips cupcake..shut up!" They proceeded to get into a fist fight when Susan punched Lurch...security eventually carried Susan (kicking and screaming out of the dining room). Lurch sat there crying. (So ackward). After dinner I stopped in the ladies room and heard a lady crying in the stall..she told me she got stuck in the little stall and couldn't get out. I climbed on top of the toilet and looked over the wall to see if I could help her...well I couldn't. She was really wedged in there! I really felt badly for her because word started to spread and other passengers starting coming in to climb on a toilet and look over the wall to see her. I gave her my wrap to cover herself up. About 20 minutes later maintainence workers finally arrived..they literally had to remove the stall walls to get her out!

The next day I really thought things could not get any crazier...well they did! First, the bathroom lady was out on the deck with the wrap I loaned her over her shoulders telling some woman that admired it that it was her "souvenir"! I kindly asked for it back and she told me to F off!

About an hour later there was a lot of commotion on deck..Susan and Lurch were back and they were really fighting! Susan then jump overboard! Literally over board! Lurch ran over to where Susan jump and yelled. " I don't need you". He then went to the other side of the ship and he too jumped overboard! Both were rescued and not heard from again until we were getting off the ship...yes they were having a first fight on the gangway!

If you're not pulling our legs, I'd say that was a cruise for the ages!

I was on Holland America inAlaska a few years back. It was a one week cruise and by the second day the morge was full. All these fresh flowers started appearing in great abundance throughout the ship. I asked the woman that took care of all the live orchids onboard. Eventually she told me that they ran out of room in the morge as often happens and they needed to use the florist coolers 😁

I know it sounds unbelievable but it is 100 percent true! It was so many years ago but the group of 20 family and friends that sailed together with me still have a good laugh together remembering that trip. Trust me those are just a few stories about that sailing...I could write a book!

If you're not pulling our legs, I'd say that was a cruise for the ages!

Some Carnival Mardi Gras trivia for you.....The Mardi Gras' maiden voyage was March '72 from Miami. The ship was grounded in the channel leaving port with significant damage to the hull. Certainly a modest beginning for one of today's cruise giants. Shortly after the grounding the competition put out a new cocktail.....Mardi Gras on the Rocks.

I wanted to share one more story...sailed on HAL Westerdam a few years ago we left Seattle sailing to Alaska. A few hours into our voyage we are sitting in the main dining room enjoying a wonderful dinner when I hear the Capt. over the PA system call out a fire code. As often happens when announcements are being made, nobody paid attention to this announcement and I think most guest didn't hear it. I told my fellow table mates what I just heard and they thought I was kidding. I noticed the waiters starting to look at each other with concerned looks. The Captian made a announcement 5 minutes later saying there is a fire in the engine room that we are trying to get under control. At this time no action by passengers is necessary. We will keep you informed. Again, no reaction by my fellow diner and nobody appeared to listen to what was said. Finally I loudly said to the waiter. " I don't think anybody heard the captains announcement about the FIRE! Well a lady at the next table jumped up and yelled FIRE..with that most of the dining room emptied out. We stayed and ate our dinner..I knew the Captain would keep us informed and he did. The fire was extinguished and ignited a few times. Eventually we had to turn around and return to SeAttle for repairs to the engine room. Nobody was hurt and it was all part of a great adventure. Lesson learned..try to listen to announcement specially if they start with "code....

I wanted to share one more story...sailed on HAL Westerdam a few years ago we left Seattle sailing to Alaska. A few hours into our voyage we are sitting in the main dining room enjoying a wonderful dinner when I hear the Capt. over the PA system call out a fire code. As often happens when announcements are being made, nobody paid attention to this announcement and I think most guest didn't hear it. I told my fellow table mates what I just heard and they thought I was kidding. I noticed the waiters starting to look at each other with concerned looks. The Captian made a announcement 5 minutes later saying there is a fire in the engine room that we are trying to get under control. At this time no action by passengers is necessary. We will keep you informed. Again, no reaction by my fellow diner and nobody appeared to listen to what was said. Finally I loudly said to the waiter. " I don't think anybody heard the captains announcement about the FIRE! Well a lady at the next table jumped up and yelled FIRE..with that most of the dining room emptied out. We stayed and ate our dinner..I knew the Captain would keep us informed and he did. The fire was extinguished and ignited a few times. Eventually we had to turn around and return to SeAttle for repairs to the engine room. Nobody was hurt and it was all part of a great adventure. Lesson learned..try to listen to announcement specially if they start with "code....

I believe that would be called "inciting a panic", Precisely why it is illegal to shout "fire" in a crowded theater.

I believe that would be called "inciting a panic", Precisely why it is illegal to shout "fire" in a crowded theater.

I was thinking the same. Pretty sure the Captain was keeping it low key and just to alert the crew as a 'maybe issue'.

Not to mention that everyone who bought the cruise DVD has it forever. :D

Oh gosh I didn't even think of that 😲

They left us a copy in our room that has remained unwatched in the bottom of one of my dresser drawers since we unpacked almost four years ago!