Craziest thing you've seen another passenger do

danielbriere

One day in the buffet, a lady asked if she could join us.

Being a friendly person, I asked whether she was travelling alone and she replied that only in a manner of speaking. She then reached down into the large bag she was carrying and produced an urn.:eek:

She said her husband had passed away a few months earlier and had asked that his ashes be scattered at sea, so she had booked a balcony cabin and was going to dispose of them that night and would we join her:( What a lunch!!

I explained that this was not allowed, but if she went to Guest Relations they would advise her.

A few days later she told us that an officer accompanied her aft, said a prayer and gave her a red rose to throw after scattering the ashes.

Oddly enough, she didn't seem at all upset really and seemed to enjoy the cruise.

Ruined our day:(

Why did that ruin your day? :confused:

We were on the Celebrity Zenith. One evening an elderly couple, sitting a couple of tables away, where one of them was very drunk. She threw up all over the table and then passed out with her head dropping on the table in the middle of the mess she created. Ya it kinda took away my appetite too.

This happened to us on the first night of our first time dining in Luminae. :eek: Lady was very embarrassed. Hazmat came and cleaned while everyone around tried their best to enjoy their meal. However, it was something that we thought about every night of our cruise and we requested not to be seated that area.

Similar thing happened to us.

We were on our first cruise with RCL and they changed our Traditional to Anytime dinning. We complained and had to talk to the Maitre d'. He changed us to Traditional.

Showed up for dinner and our table was right as you walk into the dining room. One couple was newlyweds and didn't want to talk to anyone. The other couple said they mostly do the specialty restaurants so, don't wait for them to show up. When we went back to our cabin, we had been assigned to anther traditional table on another deck. Table was in the same area as the other deck but all our table mates were great.

Originally posted by tbmrt

Couple "C" - Honeymooners who didn't participate at all in the tables' conversation....Think they just wanted to get on w/their honeymoon.

We asked to change tables for dinner the next night and ended up meeting fabulous tablemates, some whom we still stay in touch with.

We once switched tables when our tablemates did not speak to us. The male was cordial enough and spoke a little English. The wife did not and did not even smile.

Our new tablemates were on their honeymoon and a good 20-30 years younger than us. That was 9 years ago and we are dear friends. They live in Germany and we have both visited each other several times. Please forgive me if I mentioned this already. :confused::o

I was just reminding of a dining room story. We were on a 15 night TA and sat at a table of 8 in the MDR. Next to us was a couple who sat alone every night. Probably about 70 and not sure of nationality as they never spoke one word the whole 15 nights and he had the same food each night.. a plate of french fries which he ate with his fingers. I guess he is not interested in trying new foods

How else does someone usually eat their French Fries?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

• Haha 1

Several years ago we went to our table for six on the first night. One of the men started muttering they were supposed to have a private table. Talk about awkward. One of the women seeing our discomfort said go ahead and sit down. Turns out one of the women had just a couple of months to live and this cruise was her final hurrah.

As the week progressed we, and them, had a great time. Laughter, jokes, meeting for drinks before dinner. Even went on an excursion together.

At the end of the week the woman's husband thanked us profusely on what could be a very morbid cruise. We got a card from them six weeks later that she had passed. Her husband wrote that his wife mentioned what a good time she had on the cruise and thanked that young couple (we were in our 60's) for being with them.

• Like 1

I laughed so hard[ reading this story. Thanks for sharing!QUOTE=BrendaJ;52296904]Although this didn't actually happen to me, friends of ours told us this funny story about their first cruise, years ago. They had met another couple on board and struck up a friendship. The other couple mentioned to them in passing that one night very late, they happened to be on deck and and noticed something that looked like a large white bag going over the side of the ship. The rumour at the time was that cruise lines were throwing garbage overboard in the middle of the night. The couple reported it to a ship's officer who assured them that they were not throwing anything overboard.

Our friends knew the couple's cabin number, and as a joke, slid a note under their cabin door that said "Keep your mouths shut or you'll be the ones going overboard in a big white bag." The next day, they waited for the other couple to say something about the note so they could all have a laugh but the couple never mentioned it and eventually they forgot all about it. However when debarking a few days later, they heard an older couple speaking at the gangway to others about how they had had a threatening note put under their cabin door and that they had been very frightened. Apparently my friends had put the note under the wrong door.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There was once a gentleman at our table traveling solo. He ordered two pork chops and mashed potato's every night,

At lunch once in the mdr we were seated with a rather large couple. Rolls were placed at our table and they took them all. They unwrapped the butter that was still cold and not easily spreadable. They both placed four pats of butter on each roll; You could see the teeth marks when they bit into the rolls. After eating all the rolls, they ordered a turkey club,,,,,more bread.

We saw them at the pool deck an hour later wolfing down hamburgers!!

Gotta get your moneys worth!!.

Maybe they had a convention.

This wasn't on Celebrity but NCL. We were watching a very funny comedian in the theater when all of a sudden a drunk stood up and yelled "you suck". He then walked out.

My craziest was on our first cruise during a comedy show . Decent comedian , doing his act when 2 people get up and start swearing at him and then threatening him . Then 2 of their friends joined them . So crazy . The entire theater went silent while the comedian was trying to basically ignore them . Then they stormed of with a few more F bombs . Crazy , crazy .

I got invited to a guys cabin that I had just met on the ship, when we got there he walked out onto the balcony and fired up a bowl. Not what I was expecting.

Had another interesting encounter on my own balcony. One morning I got up early on a sea day and was sitting buck naked on my balcony. Got that weird feeling and looked up to catch the 80+ year old gal next door peering around the balcony divider. Hope she wasn't disappointed:rolleyes:

Best one was on the Century during a NZ/Australia cruise. My wife and young daughter (about 9) had one cabin and I had the other with our middle daughter. Of course once on the ship we exchanged key cards. Well, one afternoon me and the wife sneak off for some "afternoon delight". Right in the middle of it the door flies open and the little one starts yelling "ewe, mom and dad are doing the nasty" then runs off leaving the door jammed open with my bare backside up in the air in full view of everyone walking past. Found out those deadbolts are not deadbolts if you have a key card!

You know the thread topic is Craziest thing you've seen another passenger do ?

Wasn't crazy, just hilarious, my family and I decided to go down to the promenade deck and watch people embarking the ship when another lady walked up to our group. She didn't say anything for a minute then looked down and said to us "Did you know there's water down there?" We all nodded and agreed and she stood there silently for a few more minutes and walked away. Once she was out of sight of us we all started laughing so hard it hurt. I'm not sure if you could get that drunk on embark day, but hey who knows. So now when we get on the ship the first thing we say to each other is "Did you know there's water down there???"

OK, I know this is off topic, but it is too good to not share.

I used to live near Niagara Falls. One day I was at the falls when a foreign visitor was observing. We talked a bit and he asked me "What do they do at night?" I told him about the colored lights they used at night to light up the falls. He then asked "Do they just let it flow all night?"

Although this didn't actually happen to me, friends of ours told us this funny story about their first cruise, years ago. They had met another couple on board and struck up a friendship. The other couple mentioned to them in passing that one night very late, they happened to be on deck and and noticed something that looked like a large white bag going over the side of the ship. The rumour at the time was that cruise lines were throwing garbage overboard in the middle of the night. The couple reported it to a ship's officer who assured them that they were not throwing anything overboard.

Our friends knew the couple's cabin number, and as a joke, slid a note under their cabin door that said "Keep your mouths shut or you'll be the ones going overboard in a big white bag." The next day, they waited for the other couple to say something about the note so they could all have a laugh but the couple never mentioned it and eventually they forgot all about it. However when debarking a few days later, they heard an older couple speaking at the gangway to others about how they had had a threatening note put under their cabin door and that they had been very frightened. Apparently my friends had put the note under the wrong door.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So I thought about this for a long time. I know it's seems to be a funny mistake, but I really feel for the older couple that felt threatened and frightened. Just can't get it out of mind. I think it's just terrible.

Well, we were upset to think that we had lunch with someone's ashes:D Not everyone's idea of a fun lunch companion.

I am confused that you are confused as to why that should ruin our day?

Just want to tell a tale on myself...We were on a cruise to Panama Canal, disembarking in FLL. I had inadvertently packed my sandals, that should have been worn with my little skort and sleeveless top. Imagine my embarrassment when I had to wear my black patent leather heels off the ship in the morning! Our travel companions couldn't resist the photo ops, and made lots of comments about my "lady of the evening" attire. I'm pretty sure I will not repeat this mistake!

It's my error, not another but I will confess... my last cruise with my mom I packed up my suitcase and placed it in the hallway the last night. Usually I carry my own suitcase off but mom has limited mobility so we did place them out that evening. I felt so proud for putting all my dirty clothes in there leaving one outfit to wear for disembarkation and the flight home.

Well... I forgot to leave out a bra and as a 36DD it was a very uncomfortable morning until I could claim my luggage and find a bathroom to finish dressing. Mom thought it was funny of course.

You are correct! My son is a physician and found out there are 6-8 body bags that go along on each cruise. They keep the deaths quite secret' date=' unless rumors get out. As for the medical treatment, I hope I never need it. DH developed a nasty infection on December 2016 Eclipse. He finger swelled up 3 times the size and very painful. The ship doctor put a f'n bandaid, yes a BANDAID on it. It was worse the next day, and her nurse change the dressing. The third day, we called our son and texted him a picture of it. He panicked and said it was celluitis, which can systemically travel quickly. Said he should be on an IV drip in a hospital. DH went back to the hospital, a new doctor concurred, but said they had no IV's available, and gave him 2 regular antibiotics. It took some to to heal after that. Moral of the story: hospital is only good for maybe seasickness!![/quote']Not in any way doubting your story but perhaps the moral is that the infirmary is only as good as who is staffing it . I've heard good and bad stories .

Trivia brings out the worst in people. Almost as bad as food!

I am reminded of the time my DW decided to take a nap and I went down to play trivia to pass the time. I won, as I often do (I have an insane ability to remember useless facts!), an a group of about six people, all armed with pads of stuff, actually claimed I cheated!

How, was the question asked by the staff member as well as the other participants of the quiz.

'He's on his own. He should be in a team".

Wait, what??????

Funny . I got yelled at for winning as a couple .

On a RCI cruise last year we saw a woman with her two "service" dogs. They were some small breed, similar in size to a Chihuahua. Each day each dog would appear wear a different dress.

I have to admit that people abusing the rules allowing service animals is a pet peeve of mine.

Agree!!

Well, we were upset to think that we had lunch with someone's ashes:D Not everyone's idea of a fun lunch companion.

I am sorry that it ruined your day.:(

Perhaps it would have put a damper on my lunch, but not my day. I looked at it as a sweet story that the woman had brought her DH along to spread his ashes. Yes, she should have asked ahead of the cruise, but all turned out well. I understand that the "ashes" ceremony is carried out often.

Really? I didn't understand either. My sisters has had our mother's ashes on top of her TV for the last 10 years. Our other sister can't face the idea of scattering them. Doesn't bother any of us.

I'm not sure why someones ashes would bother someone.

I requested to have my ashes spread at my favorite golf course; however, they converted it to housing :eek:. So I asked DW if she would have my ashes sprinkled at sea.

"Sure" she replied. "I'll do it on my honeymoon cruise with my new husband"

Cold, very cold.

Being a friendly person, I asked whether she was travelling alone and she replied that only in a manner of speaking. She then reached down into the large bag she was carrying and produced an urn.:eek:

She said her husband had passed away a few months earlier and had asked that his ashes be scattered at sea, so she had booked a balcony cabin and was going to dispose of them that night and would we join her:( What a lunch!!

I explained that this was not allowed, but if she went to Guest Relations they would advise her.

A few days later she told us that an officer accompanied her aft, said a prayer and gave her a red rose to throw after scattering the ashes.

Oddly enough, she didn't seem at all upset really and seemed to enjoy the cruise.

We would be more discreet. That's the way I want to go, somewhere around Bora Bora

Happens very frequently. Here's an explanation of how it can work.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1343418

I requested to have my ashes spread at my favorite golf course; however, they converted it to housing :eek:. So I asked DW if she would have my ashes sprinkled at sea.

"Sure" she replied. "I'll do it on my honeymoon cruise with my new husband"

Cold, very cold.

Boy that was cold and a great comeback.

We have told our kids once we are both gone take a cruise and scatter our ashes at sea together.

A few years back we were on a Caribbean cruise on the Ruby out of New York City where we live and the second night when we went to dinner we were placed with three other couples, the three men were all hot shot wall street brokers and they were bragging about the deals and tricks they do giving me hot stock tips, telling what to watch for in a few weeks, basically breaking the law and bragging about it, after the main course was done one of them asked me what I do for a living. I just could not resist the temptation, I replied that I was an Investigator for the Securities and Exchange Commission, well you should have seen their faces, they jumped up said hey look at the time we got to go, but you did not have dessert and coffee I said, by the way I didnt catch your names. The waiter came over looked at them almost running out of the dinning room turned to me and asked what happend, I told him that they said they had a show to catch. My wife looked at me and said, really the SEC, really. I would wave to them every time I saw them on and off the ship. I'm a Carpenter and my wife is a Teacher, no SEC.

• Haha 1

On my very first cruise, DH and I had just gotten on the Summit in Seward and were looking for a smoking area after muster (he smiled back then). We were sitting there when two other couples who knew each other and were a little older than we were came and sat with us. We started the usual polite banter of where each of us were from, what we did, etc. then their conversation turned to various sexual escapades. I remember one in particular of being caught in a neighbors hot tub by the local deputy. Then came the veiled propositioning about swinging. We politely said we should be getting back to get ready for dinner and left as soon as we could. Of course we ran into them everywhere we went on the whole cruise.

Now every time we go on a cruise, the ongoing joke is wether or not we'll be asked to swing again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On my very first cruise, DH and I had just gotten on the Summit in Seward and were looking for a smoking area after muster (he smiled back then). We were sitting there when two other couples who knew each other and were a little older than we were came and sat with us. We started the usual polite banter of where each of us were from, what we did, etc. then their conversation turned to various sexual escapades. I remember one in particular of being caught in a neighbors hot tub by the local deputy. Then came the veiled propositioning about swinging. We politely said we should be getting back to get ready for dinner and left as soon as we could. Of course we ran into them everywhere we went on the whole cruise.

Now every time we go on a cruise, the ongoing joke is wether or not we'll be asked to swing again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why doesn't he smile anymore :D????

On a RCI cruise last year we saw a woman with her two "service" dogs. They were some small breed, similar in size to a Chihuahua. Each day each dog would appear wear a different dress.

I have to admit that people abusing the rules allowing service animals is a pet peeve of mine.

A report on the subject on our local TV station:

http://www.click2houston.com/news/investigates/channel-2-invesrigates-fake-service-dog-industry