Regal Desserts Tasteless

deise17311

Didn't you notice that the icing on the carrot cake was not a cream cheese base but some concoction they made from the whipped cream they use on most desserts.

It's not the best I've ever tasted.

Of course I noticed. I never said the frosting was cream cheese. I said we really enjoyed the carrot cake and we did. It definitely had flavor. I also never said it was the best we ever tasted.. However it is still good and we enjoyed it. I can't say that for some of the other cakes I've tasted in the Horizon court because I agree with some posters that they are tasteless.

Provisioning a ship is a massive process, and sometimes is subject to what is available locally. It may be very well possible that a particular ship's home port agent is unable to acquire soft ice cream mix, but can acquire soft ice milk mix.

Another possibility is limits in the food budget for a sailing. The exec. chef and food and beverage manager may have to cut corners on some things in order to bring in more premium goods. For example, they might choose lower cost soft ice milk mix rather than soft ice cream mix to save a few dollars so they have more money to spend on better cuts of meat or seafood.

This is all speculation, but whenever you see a soft ice cream machine, there is a very good chance that they are using an ice milk mix rather than an ice cream mix, usually to safe a few bucks. It will melt faster and has a watery mouth feel, much like drinking regular milk.

I definitely think that some ships I've been on have used an ice milk mix but my two cruises (almost two years apart) on the Crown and my Royal Princess cruise definitely used ice cream.

I usually stick to anything Norman Love, creme brûlée, and the homemade ice cream. I agree that so many desserts look delicious but have no flavor. .
Agreed--those are the only desserts I now order in the MDR. All of the ice cream flavors I've tried have been excellent.

I was recently on the Regal and thought all the food ( except in the MDR at times) and the desserts were wonderful. Also, we took,the ships Ultimate Tour, which is an intense 4 hour behind the scenes tour. I can tell you, after being allowed in the bakery galley......everything is made from scratch. We saw all the machinery, ovens and and the actual desserts, breads, etc being Made from scratch and containers of every ingredient you can think of. It was very impressive. The Eclipse, on the other hand, I actually lost weight on that cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was recently on the Regal and thought all the food ( except in the MDR at times) and the desserts were wonderful. Also, we took,the ships Ultimate Tour, which is an intense 4 hour behind the scenes tour. I can tell you, after being allowed in the bakery galley......everything is made from scratch. We saw all the machinery, ovens and and the actual desserts, breads, etc being Made from scratch and containers of every ingredient you can think of. It was very impressive. The Eclipse, on the other hand, I actually lost weight on that cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It doesn't matter if its made from scratch when they use margarine or shortening instead of butter, powdered eggs instead of "real" eggs, and other lower quality ingredients. Also, mousse is supposed to rely on beaten egg whites to firm it up instead of a heavy dose of gelatin. I could tell immediately when they stopped using real butter in the breakfast pastries. I used to love their danish and croissants, and now I rarely bother with them.

Have to agree about the desserts. Just got off the Royal 10 days. The buffet had the worst desserts ever. No creme brulee or flourless choc cake. Lunch buffet did have the pavlovas twice and they were good. Heard they also had key lime pie and truffles but by 1:00 pm they were long gone. Most of the cruise was fine but the food in my opinion has really gone down hill since last year. If you choose to eat at the buffet in the evening be prepared to skip dessert. Just my experience but glad to hear I wasn't the only one who found the desserts tasteless. You would think at least one night(maybe formal night)they could offer creme brulee in the buffet. Nope! Good part was I didn't gain weight on this cruise.

Not a huge eater of desserts. I generally have one scoop of whatever ice cream looks best in MDR. I will eat anything with lime, lemon or pecans so when there are little pastries with those, I scoop them up. But, to me, the cakes are all the same. Man, it would be lovely if they made fresh pies, wouldn't it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

What even happened to a gook old fashion chocolate cake with butter cream icing, or a carrot cake with cream cheese icing? :cool:

They offered carrot cake in the Horizon Court on the Jan. 19 Royal cruise and it was quite good. I make a good carrot cake myself so I'm pretty selective about eating it in other venues.

It doesn't matter if its made from scratch when they use margarine or shortening instead of butter, powdered eggs instead of "real" eggs, and other lower quality ingredients. Also, mousse is supposed to rely on beaten egg whites to firm it up instead of a heavy dose of gelatin. I could tell immediately when they stopped using real butter in the breakfast pastries. I used to love their danish and croissants, and now I rarely bother with them.

I agree about the Danish and croissants. They are not as good as I remember from my last cruise in 2015. The bread and rolls are also drier and not as tasty.

Have to agree about the desserts. Just got off the Royal 10 days. The buffet had the worst desserts ever. No creme brulee or flourless choc cake. Lunch buffet did have the pavlovas twice and they were good. Heard they also had key lime pie and truffles but by 1:00 pm they were long gone. Most of the cruise was fine but the food in my opinion has really gone down hill since last year. If you choose to eat at the buffet in the evening be prepared to skip dessert. Just my experience but glad to hear I wasn't the only one who found the desserts tasteless. You would think at least one night(maybe formal night)they could offer creme brulee in the buffet. Nope! Good part was I didn't gain weight on this cruise.

I was on the same cruise and I pretty much agree with everything you said. It was my first Princess cruise so I have no basis for comparison. There were some lackluster options in the dining room as well. I tried a "brownie" (my quotes, not theirs) from the Pastry Shop on the first day and it seemed like nothing more than fairly tasteless chocolate cake that happened to be cut into squares.

There were, however, a couple of rare standouts -- There was a chocolate and banana strudel and also the vanilla and chocolate breton (the latter of which I tried based on a previous review from another poster). Both very tasty! And I could also always count on the chocolate croissants at breakfast. (Very suitable substitution for toast!)

general find on all cruises lines desserts leave something to be desired.... if we do any it is ice cream.

when traveling in the Mediterranean we buy dessert in port and bring back to the ship... have done so in Venice, Istanbul, southern spain and of course in France... then you have a decent bakery item.

Dessert pics. I liked everything I ate. I did not eat any cakes or pie.

The ones you pictured were among the best. The rest not so much.

After a few days on board you quickly learn which is which and after a few years of cruising on Princess you'll see the same ones every time & know which ones to stay with.

We generally stick with the cookies and ice cream. Our experience with all the cruise lines we've been on lately is the same...looks good, lacks taste and substance. I just wish someone would add a good American fruit pie to the menu.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I can't really understand why they can't learn how to make them properly. It been the same every since we've been sailing Princess.

Has anyone ever tasted what the serve as a pecan pie? It's more like a hard over baked nut biscuit. I don't understand why they haven't learned to not bake it so long. :confused:

general find on all cruises lines desserts leave something to be desired.... if we do any it is ice cream.

when traveling in the Mediterranean we buy dessert in port and bring back to the ship... have done so in Venice, Istanbul, southern spain and of course in France... then you have a decent bakery item.

Sadly, we now look for local bakeries in port, too. We wouldn't have ever considered this a few years ago because the Princess desserts and pastries were so good.