Very Upset with RCCL!!!!

Maksim

I am very upset now with RCCL. Pretty sure it happened with others. Here is the situation. I paid final payment in the beginning of January. Keep watching the prices. Today, when it's just under 60 days, the price went down by $2,000 per cabin in my category. I called my TA and they contacted RCCL, but they said there is nothing they can do. To cancel and rebook will cost more than the difference in price. The TA Supervisor spoke to their Supervisor and didn't get anywhere. The only thing she said is for me to continue watching the prices and if the next category up goes down in price to what I paid, they will upgrade. At this point, no upgrade, no additional OBC, not even a drink package or specialty restaurant package offered. How about that? I had this situation with Celebrity and Princess and they gladly provided free upgrade and OBC. This is just so disappointing. it looks like RCCL doesn't care if their passengers come back or not. :mad:

I am very upset now with RCCL. Pretty sure it happened with others. Here is the situation. I paid final payment in the beginning of January. Keep watching the prices. Today, when it's just under 60 days, the price went down by $2,000 per cabin in my category. I called my TA and they contacted RCCL, but they said there is nothing they can do. To cancel and rebook will cost more than the difference in price. The TA Supervisor spoke to their Supervisor and didn't get anywhere. The only thing she said is for me to continue watching the prices and if the next category up goes down in price to what I paid, they will upgrade. At this point, no upgrade, no additional OBC, not even a drink package or specialty restaurant package offered. How about that? I had this situation with Celebrity and Princess and they gladly provided free upgrade and OBC. This is just so disappointing. it looks like RCCL doesn't care if their passengers come back or not. :mad:

How "just under" 60 days are you?

Edit...sorry, didn't see your signature showing 54 days. Did your fare drop by half?

Up until 57 days you would only lose your deposit amount if you cancel.

Bookings on or after March 7, 2016

Cruise Length

Days to Departure

Charges Per Person

5 Nights or longer

(Includes Holiday Sailings & Cruisetours)

90+ No charges

89-57 Days Deposit amount

56-29 Days 50% of Total Fare (taxes, fees & port expenses excluded*)

28-15 Days 75% of Total Fare (taxes, fees & port expenses excluded*)

14 Days or less

I paid final payment in the beginning of January.

Conversely, if the price had gone up $2000 is RCCL allowed to call you within 60 days of sailing and demand you to pay $2000 more or else they will sell your cabin to the next person in line?

Final Payment Date actually means something.

That is precisely their policy and has been for a very very very long time.

If you go to the shop and the price of a tin of beans goes down between this week and next week, do you go back and demand the difference the following week?

Try living in any other part of the world where we can't get price drops after booking!

The terms of the Cruise Contract stipulate you can't get a price drop after final payment, only an upgrade if applicable

Every, single cruise line does this. So I guess you won't be cruising anymore?

... The only thing she said is for me to continue watching the prices and if the next category up goes down in price to what I paid, they will upgrade. ...

Note that that you are always able to pay the difference to upgrade to a better category. In other words, you don't have to wait until the better category comes down in price to equal what you paid. For example, if the better category comes down to $20 more than you paid, you might want to jump on that.

If you go to the shop and the price of a tin of beans goes down between this week and next week, do you go back and demand the difference the following week?

Yes? In the US, most businesses will refund the amount paid if the price drops within a certain period - 7, 14 or 30 days depending on the retailer and product.

However a cruise isnt a product. Airlines and such dont refund you the difference.

I'm sure they dropped the price at 56 days very deliberately.

That is the tradeoff, if you book early you are guaranteed a cabin, but if they don't fill they will have a fire sale that you'll miss out on. That's why folks can go so cheaply on last-minute cruises. Few of us though can take that kind of chance.

It does suck though. Think of it as the price you paid to enjoy the anticipation for however long you've been booked.

There are lots of booking strategies, ranging from buying as early as possible, as soon as an itinerary goes on sale, to never booking until after final payment. Whichever strategy you employ, there will be times that it just won't work in your favour. Whenever we can, we book as early as possible and we've done very well by it, so we won't worry should we miss a savings that might have been available had we waited until the last minute. If you've done well in the past, don't worry about this one.

Yes? In the US, most businesses will refund the amount paid if the price drops within a certain period - 7, 14 or 30 days depending on the retailer and product.

However a cruise isnt a product. Airlines and such dont refund you the difference.

My airline does not refund me the difference, but if I catch a reduction in cost, I do get a credit for the difference. Must be used within 12 months of the day I booked for another flight. It is a good way to keep me loyal.

HA! Wow really? I never knew that is the way things work in the US

Learn something new every day

Thank you all for such quick replies and comments. I really appreciate all the thoughts provided. I did not say I will not cruise again. This is not the case. I have been around and know enough about the pricing strategies, refunds, etc. This is the first time I experience such a huge price reduction at the time when rebooking would cost more than the difference. It sucks because they could have offered OBC, or a specialty restaurant package, or a drink package. It would have not compensated for the difference by any means of course, but would have been a nice gesture from RCL to keep a customer happy with the feeling that they tried to do something.

That is their policy and many other cruise lines have the same policy. I am surprised Celebrity and Princess provided anything free!

Note that that you are always able to pay the difference to upgrade to a better category. In other words, you don't have to wait until the better category comes down in price to equal what you paid. For example, if the better category comes down to $20 more than you paid, you might want to jump on that.

Not in the UK you can't. £1700 they wanted to move from D1 to Junior Suite despite it being only about £100 more.

Only other option was to cancel and lose my flights.

I would keep trying, and don't stop.

Sometimes if you cause enough stir they will give in give you something just to get rid of you.

My wife has done this many times and things appear or go away, depending on what you want.

Good Luck.

Sometimes if you cause enough stir they will give in give you something just to get rid of you.

My wife has done this many times and things appear or go away, depending on what you want.

Good Luck.

So did it work -did your wife get rid of you? :D

HA! Wow really? I never knew that is the way things work in the US

Learn something new every day

They've also built that into some credit card rewards so you just contact your CC company.

Might be the same for you Amerifriends, our CDN Costcos (with a few product exceptions) have no time limit for returns.

OP, it's disheartening to see that happen, but you can't be upset at RCI who didn't advertise or offer that guarantee in the first place.

As the above poster said, it doesn't hurt to keep trying, maybe you'll get some OBC.

GL

Good Luck.

What the ....Are you a telemarketer by any chance? Cause you sure sound like one.

Boo-Hoo. Why are you so entitled? Rules are set forth for a reason. If they made exceptions for everyone who cries foul. That what good would the contract you signed be.

You signed a contract. Therefore one must abide.

Go to Best Buy after there return Period is up. And try and get a price adjustment after that. Guess what. Same outcome.

And I doubt your TA had their supervisor call the cruise line on your behalf. Thief comp was already paid to that agency. I don't think they want a charge back.

C'mon grow up. Rules are rules. Have some integrity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums