Now with so many "service animals" do they have a Vet onboard ?

dgparent

the "emotional support animal" is basically a pet that the owner just doesn't want to leave at home with a pet sitter or in a kennel. These are the animals whose owners are required to have a current letter by a shrink saying they are too mentally fragile to travel without fluffy. The owners are the ones who buy the bogus "service dog" vests, bogus certificates, and bogus "letters fom psychiatrists on-line. To me, these people should definitely rethink their choice of cruising. These furball pets are the ones you see eating at a dining table, yapping in the cabin, or relieving itself on the lawn areas. Keep them off.

totally agree!!!

I met a woman at ATL airport who had her "emotional support" animal with her (vest and all) and that dog was an 8 pound decrepit invalid in a dog wheelchair.

As was stated, Emotional Support Dogs do NOT have Public Access. The Public access dog MUST perform a task for the handler. That said, an Emotional Support dog can be 15 years old, blind, deaf and have the inability to walk and still provide enough ES that it's handler needs to get through life!

I too am disturbed by folks who schlep these poor little beings in all sorts of things on wheels. But, If I see one on a cruise ship I am going to call them out.

There is nothing wrong with asking someone; "what task does your dog provide for you?" Do they have to answer, no, but at least they know you're aware of the ridiculousness of the situation! :eek:

Yes, piddle pads are an alternate system for dogs depending on a number of variables, for example harsh winter areas, apartment dwellers, etc. It can work for both small and large species dogs. Some dogs begin piddle pad training as soon as 2 weeks after birth for both household pets and Assistance Dogs.

You stated in an earlier post:

"A legitimate support animal is trained to relieve themselves on a piddle pad in the owner's bathroom (tile floor.)"

I am not aware of this as a common practice for large trained service dogs like Labradors. The ships provide a relief box filled with sod or mulch, and a trash can. Handlers bring our own disposal bags for solids.

Piddle Pads like that were never suggested as an option or even mentioned by my dog's trainers from the nationally-known nonprofit that provided her. Like most people relying on a dog to perform tasks, I have enough to carry already and wouldn't want the ongoing cost of buying and the aggravation of hauling around a supply of such pads for the dog to use...much less dealing with disposal of the pads every time we cruise, travel or go places away from home overnight. The dogs are specifically trained to make such excess baggage unnecessary.

I have a therapy dog and I can't count the times people have not understood the difference between a service dog and a therapy dog. They think just because he is a therapy dog he can go everywhere. I have worked very hard to make him a therapy dog and it really irks me when people have gone on-line to get fake certificates that say their animal is either a service dog, therapy dog, or emotional support dog.

Have you noticed that most of the emotional support dogs are small lap dogs?

VALENCIA, Calif., Feb. 15, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Cunard, the only line to carry pets across the Atlantic, presented Rumor, the Westminster Kennel Club's Best in Show winner, with an invitation to sail on a Transatlantic Crossing on Queen Mary 2 today in New York's Times Square. Rumor will have an opportunity to take his place in history among celebrity dogs who have sailed with Cunard including Elizabeth Taylor's pampered pooches and Hollywood film star Rin-Tin-Tin.

I am not saying that people don't fake it, but it's unfathomable to me that anyone on a cruise would put themselves in a position to "call out" someone with an animal. If it concerns you, report it to management and let them deal with it. If they're spending a lot of time fielding complaints, that might cause some real change.

How would you like someone walking up to you and telling you off when you had a valid service animal? I'd report that person to security for harassment.

I am not saying that people don't fake it, but it's unfathomable to me that anyone on a cruise would put themselves in a position to "call out" someone with an animal.

How would you like someone walking up to you and telling you off when you had a valid service animal? I'd report that person to security for harassment.

No where did I say I would call anyone out for what I believed was a fake service dog. What I DID say was that I would "call out" (your words, but okay") a person whose dog used the deck or lawn as a bathroom. Yes, I would also notify guest relations. I KNOW that true service dogs are trained not to do that. Chances are the offending dog would be the "emotional support dog" (Fluffy) who is just a pet - and the dog nor owner should be cruising (in my opinion). Hopefully, Fluffy and the owner would be put off at the next port.

There are a couple of potential misconceptions about service dogs:

• They are specifically trained (or must be trained) by professionals

While most are, some have a natural ability to assist in a disability. Seizure dogs are a good example, the only real training they may need is how to behave in public and/or how to react to the disability. For a competent owner, this is possible by the owner, and part of why it isn't a requirement that they be professionally trained.

• They are quiet and non-disruptive

While again the vast majority are, it is also possible that the reaction required for the disability is to bark and bring attention of others. Again, seizure dogs are an example. They may be required to bark to indicate the onset of a problem or to alert others to the problem of their handler.

This second point is part of the reason there are two questions that are allowed to be asked by the ADA:

• Is the animal a service dog required for a disability.
  • What task or service does the animal provide.

Interfering with that service can be a violation of the ADA and (as has been mentioned) can result in large fines. But similarly, failing to respond to the animal who's service is to alert others to the plight of the handler might be worse; not only for the handler but for a cruise line that failed to respond to a serious medical problem. If a service animal is being disruptive (by it's or the handler's action, and not just by being there) and it is not part of the "service", it can be excluded from the premises.

Further, it can be fraud and/or perjury to specify that an animal is a service dog when it is not. So the easiest answer for all businesses (including the cruise line) is to actually ask those two questions above. The cruise lines should be requesting the answer to those above questions (plus the possible ramifications) as part of their check-in process for service animals.

IMO, should someone really believe that they should bring Fluffy along, as long as it is behaving as a proper service dog (non-disruptive, with the single handler as specified by the ADA, etc.), I am unlikely to make any comments. However, the disruptive animal will get the two questions and the likelihood of pointing out the ADA exclusions and fraud sections to the Hotel Manager.

(That is against the law. An owner may supply a letter if they wish, but it cannot be required. There is a BIG fine for requiring a letter.)

True, regarding service animals in the US under the ADA. However, documentation can be required for an emotional support animal (which is not the same as a service animal). Airlines are covered under the Air Carrier Access Act, not the ADA. They may request documentation for emotional support animals (but not for service animals and the owner pretty much just needs to say it's a service animal, and that's it.)

For a SERVICE animal, a business can ask only 2 questions of the owner: 1) Is this your service animal? 2) What task does the animal perform to assist you?

They can't ask for documentation, proof the animal is trained, any questions about the owner's disability, or require that the animal demonstrate the task. If the owner can describe a task that it performs, the animal's in, unless it becomes disruptive or isn't housebroken.

Where the owner requires only the animal's presence and it isn't trained to do anything to assist the owner, then it's an emotional support animal.

ADA has limited the definition of service animal to dogs and, in some cases, miniature horses. The act had to be amended to add these species limitations. Emotional support animals can be just about any type of animal. The Air Carriers Access Act does not limit them by species for the most part, although I believe they exclude some reptiles and of course, anything that can't actually get onto a plane. If you have the proper documentation (which you can actually purchase online) you can bring a pig, goat, turkey, duck, tortoise, or a bowl of fish onto a plane (people have done all of this).

I have a friend who wanted to train her large dog as a therapy pet so that she could take it everywhere. A therapy pet doesn't have public access because it does not perform a task to assist a person with a disability. The owner wasn't disabled. She wanted to take her dog to hospitals and schools to provide "comfort" to others. These dogs have some training so they won't freak out around people wanting to pet them. But that isn't the same as a service dog, and under the law she couldn't get comprehensive public access for her dog (unless she passed it off as her own service dog.)

Edited by makiramarlena

There are a couple of potential misconceptions about service dogs:

• They are specifically trained (or must be trained) by professionals

While most are, some have a natural ability to assist in a disability. Seizure dogs are a good example, the only real training they may need is how to behave in public and/or how to react to the disability. For a competent owner, this is possible by the owner, and part of why it isn't a requirement that they be professionally trained.

• They are quiet and non-disruptive

While again the vast majority are, it is also possible that the reaction required for the disability is to bark and bring attention of others. Again, seizure dogs are an example. They may be required to bark to indicate the onset of a problem or to alert others to the problem of their handler.

This second point is part of the reason there are two questions that are allowed to be asked by the ADA:

• Is the animal a service dog required for a disability.
  • What task or service does the animal provide.

Interfering with that service can be a violation of the ADA and (as has been mentioned) can result in large fines. But similarly, failing to respond to the animal who's service is to alert others to the plight of the handler might be worse; not only for the handler but for a cruise line that failed to respond to a serious medical problem. If a service animal is being disruptive (by it's or the handler's action, and not just by being there) and it is not part of the "service", it can be excluded from the premises.

Further, it can be fraud and/or perjury to specify that an animal is a service dog when it is not. So the easiest answer for all businesses (including the cruise line) is to actually ask those two questions above. The cruise lines should be requesting the answer to those above questions (plus the possible ramifications) as part of their check-in process for service animals.

IMO, should someone really believe that they should bring Fluffy along, as long as it is behaving as a proper service dog (non-disruptive, with the single handler as specified by the ADA, etc.), I am unlikely to make any comments. However, the disruptive animal will get the two questions and the likelihood of pointing out the ADA exclusions and fraud sections to the Hotel Manager.

Was thinking about this way back in the thread when the poster stated his little dog would scratch in his nose area when he was going to have an asthma attack.

I haven’t read all the responses to the original post so apologies if I have missed a comment similar to mine.

My DS is violently allergic to allfur and feathers. He gets breathing difficulties, his nose runs, his eyelidsswell and his eyes water. He also comes out in a very itchy rash and thesesymptoms persist for several hours. He doesn’t need to have contact with theanimals. Just a stray hair or being in a space that has been previouslyoccupied by an animal can trigger an attack. He dreads the possibility of beingon a plane or any place where an animal has been where there is no option toremove himself.

I appreciate the importance of true service animals but theyshould not be allowed in aircraft cabins. I know it is a little different on acruise ship but the cabins which dogs have inhabited should be deep cleanedafterwards or future passengers should be told about these cabin numbers sothey can make informed choices.

My DH is vision impaired and have a seeing eye dog. We haven't brought her on any cruise, because we mostly do transatlantics and one of the flights would be to long for her. I just want to comment on the allergy/guide dog problem. Our airline has this policy: if someone is allergic and book the flight first, the dog is not permitted ob the flight. If we book first, then we are allowed to fly with the dog and the allergic person has to find an other flight. I think thats great.

Lots of people carry dog hair on their clothes, so flying is a big problem anyway if you are that allergic?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Double-check the prices on the in-cabin bar setup.

I think there was a price increase. In October Infinity wanted $130 for a liter of Bailey's. I was on a b2b, so the night before the first cruise ended, I marched down to the liquor store and bought 25 bottles of liqour and took it to my cabin. The next day, all of that liquor was moved to my next cabin, and distributed to the oeople who boarded that day. X lost $$$ on that cruise.... But what they're asking for an in-cabin setup is just plain ridiculous.

That's what friends are for.

I think there was a price increase. In October Infinity wanted $130 for a liter of Bailey's. I was on a b2b, so the night before the first cruise ended, I marched down to the liquor store and bought 25 bottles of liqour and took it to my cabin. The next day, all of that liquor was moved to my next cabin, and distributed to the oeople who boarded that day. X lost $$$ on that cruise.... But what they're asking for an in-cabin setup is just plain ridiculous.

So is your service animal a Saint Bernard? :D;)

You're on the wrong blog. Me thinks you may have visited the bar too much already!

Did you just drink one of those bottles of Baileys before posting the above???

This thread is about animals/pets on cruises and they are not related to grog, well at least I think not.

(That is against the law. An owner may supply a letter if they wish, but it cannot be required. There is a BIG fine for requiring a letter.)

True, regarding service animals in the US under the ADA. However, documentation can be required for an emotional support animal (which is not the same as a service animal). Airlines are covered under the Air Carrier Access Act, not the ADA. They may request documentation for emotional support animals (but not for service animals and the owner pretty much just needs to say it's a service animal, and that's it.)

For a SERVICE animal, a business can ask only 2 questions of the owner: 1) Is this your service animal? 2) What task does the animal perform to assist you?

They can't ask for documentation, proof the animal is trained, any questions about the owner's disability, or require that the animal demonstrate the task. If the owner can describe a task that it performs, the animal's in, unless it becomes disruptive or isn't housebroken.

Where the owner requires only the animal's presence and it isn't trained to do anything to assist the owner, then it's an emotional support animal.

ADA has limited the definition of service animal to dogs and, in some cases, miniature horses. The act had to be amended to add these species limitations. Emotional support animals can be just about any type of animal. The Air Carriers Access Act does not limit them by species for the most part, although I believe they exclude some reptiles and of course, anything that can't actually get onto a plane. If you have the proper documentation (which you can actually purchase online) you can bring a pig, goat, turkey, duck, tortoise, or a bowl of fish onto a plane (people have done all of this).

I have a friend who wanted to train her large dog as a therapy pet so that she could take it everywhere. A therapy pet doesn't have public access because it does not perform a task to assist a person with a disability. The owner wasn't disabled. She wanted to take her dog to hospitals and schools to provide "comfort" to others. These dogs have some training so they won't freak out around people wanting to pet them. But that isn't the same as a service dog, and under the law she couldn't get comprehensive public access for her dog (unless she passed it off as her own service dog.)

What I'll do when I suspect fraud, is ask the 2 questions you have in your post. I then watch the person's reactions. If they get nasty(a frequent occurrence)I then will tell them the fine for fraudulent use of a service animal is a $2000 fine & 6 months in jail. (should be true, but isn't)I then will pull out my phone & pretend to call the police. The offenders will leave the place amazingly quick. I'll do this in stores & places like that where the fraud is rampant. For all those who will flame me, please go right ahead! The fraud is pretty easy to spot.Most business owners won't ask the 2 questions. Being a private citizen, well, I'm not covered by that, am I? I have no problem trying to uncover fraud.

What I'll do when I suspect fraud, is ask the 2 questions you have in your post. I then watch the person's reactions. If they get nasty(a frequent occurrence)I then will tell them the fine for fraudulent use of a service animal is a $2000 fine & 6 months in jail. (should be true, but isn't)I then will pull out my phone & pretend to call the police. The offenders will leave the place amazingly quick. I'll do this in stores & places like that where the fraud is rampant. For all those who will flame me, please go right ahead! The fraud is pretty easy to spot.Most business owners won't ask the 2 questions. Being a private citizen, well, I'm not covered by that, am I? I have no problem trying to uncover fraud.

And I would tell you to mind your own business as I do not have a responsibility to answer those questions unless you are the proprietor. It's so easy to say you would take these actions but this is an anonymous blog. With all due respect you have posted so many aggressive actions that you say you have actually taken in the past. i.e.; throwing people out of the MDR, etc. Sorry, getting a bit unbelieveable.

And I would tell you to mind your own business as I do not have a responsibility to answer those questions unless you are the proprietor. It's so easy to say you would take these actions but this is an anonymous blog. With all due respect you have posted so many aggressive actions that you say you have actually taken in the past. i.e.; throwing people out of the MDR, etc. Sorry, getting a bit unbelieveable.

I Don't really care if you believe me or not. Ever hear about the show "What would you Do?" I'm the type of guy who does get involved. Yes, I've gotten pax kicked out of the MDR(on Cunard) When I see fraud, I do call them out. Perhaps if more people DID get involved things would be better. As to the "proprietor"

of a business, they're too scared to take action. Well, I'm not. I did it at Sam's Club last summer. Ever get a baby out of a hot car in the summer or a dog in the same situation? Or would you just casually walk on by? Well, I have in both those instances. There are those who take action & those who just stand by. Which are you?

Edited by keithm
punctuation

I Don't really care if you believe me or not. Ever hear about the show "What would you Do?" I'm the type of guy who does get involved. Yes, I've gotten pax kicked out of the MDR(on Cunard) When I see fraud, I do call them out. Perhaps if more people DID get involved things would be better. As to the "proprietor"

of a business, they're too scared to take action. Well, I'm not. I did it at Sam's Club last summer. Ever get a baby out of a hot car in the summer or a dog in the same situation? Or would you just casually walk on by? Well, I have in both those instances. There are those who take action & those who just stand by. Which are you?

Animal or baby are different and yes I have done both of those, several times, I spent almost 30 years as a Police Officer.

I, too, have called police to parking lots when seeing pets or children in locked cars on hot days.

In fact, here in Florida, it is perfectly legal to break a car window if you believe the child or pet is in danger.

In Arizona it is illegal to leave a dog in a car alone no matter what the weather is.

Nothing to laugh about EuroTraveler12.....They really do make great pets and they can be very helpful.....He can hand me stuff, pick up stuff Mrs Click drops, do all kinds of helpful things including stinking up an entire ship in one day.....

Thanks for another laugh. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji208][emoji208][emoji208][emoji208][emoji208]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums