Ultimate Drink Package-Paying the Difference

JennieCoconut

Hi everyone!

I haven't been on NCL in years. Last time I did not have a beverage package, but I just read a review here that got me wondering. Someone said that NCL has raised the prices of martinis to $14.95 each. So after "fees", they end up being 17? We got the UBP for free as a perk so we pre-paid the gratuities. So will I still be able to get martinis under this package or not?

Does anyone have any RECENT drink lists for the Gem?

Thank you!

We were just on the Getaway and Pearl both last month. Yes you will get everything $15 or under for free. If there is an overage, you just pay that. Example: $17 martini will only cost you $2 on your onboard account if you have UBP, if martini is 14.95, it will be free. As you pointed out, tips are prepaid with your cruise fare for the UBP when you book it, so it is not an issue. When purchasing drinks, we never even got a receipt, unless of course what we ordered was over $15, then we just got a tag with the overage amount only.

Ya know what? I read her review wrong. I just went back to look at it because I remember the poster had an UBP. She said they were increased from $14.95 to $17. Sheesh. NCL is getting out of hand with all these upcharges. Can't even have a martini on board ?!

There are plenty of martinis under the $15 limit. If you want some specialty drink that pretends to be a martini, or some top shelf alcohol, it may be an extra charge, but most martinis are less than $15

Yes, Grey Goose is UNDER the threshold just not flavored Grey Goose, which interesting enough costs the same by the bottle. In fact, only a certain few vodkas take you over the threshold and of course those more expensive Vodkas are included in drinks listed on the bar drink menu. But you can order them with whatever vodka you choose, except a chocolate martini which requires special alcohol. I don't think there is any drink for $14.95. That price does not make sense since the $16.95 and $17.95 is designed to get a slight premium revenue out of the UBP crowd. I would hope not many non-UBP cruisers are paying $17.95 for a cocktail but I imagine some get caught up in the mania created by UBP holders.

If you want just a straight up martini and choose a vodka/gin that's covered by the package there will be no additional charges. The only time the extra charge comes into play is if you order a martini with a vodka/gin over the package OR go to the martini bar where they have a handful of specialty martinis over the package limit. Our experience last month is about half of the martini menu was under $15 and half was over. You can certainly get a martini covered under the package, you just can't drink everything on the menu without going over.

We were just on the Getaway and Pearl both last month. Yes you will get everything $15 or under for free. If there is an overage, you just pay that. Example: $17 martini will only cost you $2 on your onboard account if you have UBP, if martini is 14.95, it will be free. As you pointed out, tips are prepaid with your cruise fare for the UBP when you book it, so it is not an issue. When purchasing drinks, we never even got a receipt, unless of course what we ordered was over $15, then we just got a tag with the overage amount only.

2.00 plus 18% gratuity.

I had a Chocolate Martini 17.95 It was 2.95 plus the 18%= 3.48 ( approx) .

It's really any drink whatsoever under 15 bucks. Unless you specificly ask for a premium liquor all your drinks are free. Wine by the glass all you want. Bottles don't make sense. Soda and water at the bar of course. Also if you r with family all thr kids in the cabin get free sodas and non acholic drinks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

You can pretty much tell what will be included by the brand of liquor that is in the drink your ordering if your martini has Belvadere vodka expect to be adding $2 to your bill.

The part that baffles me is how they select some of the liquors as being above the threshold. When you buy most (not all) in Florida the cost is not more so this confuses me.

I know a few of my faves were not on the regular menu I had on my last cruise like Makers Mark and Knob creek these are not super premium at home so I don't get it.

Maybe the price reflects the deals they get

I think the best deal with the UBP is that you can order Johnny Blue for just the $4 upcharge. Pretty much ended every night with one of those back in the cabin ;)

How long ago did you do this as I believe the Price for JW Blue has increased to $35??? I ordered a Remy XO in November on the Breakaway and that used to cost me the same as your JW Blue. I asked the bartender in Prime Meridian how much that would be and it came out to additional $24 so I said no thanks.

Pretty sure free pop is fountain not cans.

I drank Diet Pepsi on board and it was always free (had UBP). I went to a bar they filled from the fountain gun but there's a mini bar in the buffet that only had cans; still free. Not sure if you order something that isn't available via fountain gun though.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can pretty much tell what will be included by the brand of liquor that is in the drink your ordering if your martini has Belvadere vodka expect to be adding $2 to your bill.

The part that baffles me is how they select some of the liquors as being above the threshold. When you buy most (not all) in Florida the cost is not more so this confuses me.

I know a few of my faves were not on the regular menu I had on my last cruise like Makers Mark and Knob creek these are not super premium at home so I don't get it.

Maybe the price reflects the deals they get

Well not sure if you can tell by the brand alone since Grey Goose is included by Belvedere is not. I think it is designed for those who are too proud and sophisticated to look at the prices right there in front of them on the drink menu for most common liquor brands. It's a special week with the wife and both have UBP anyways, so checking for the optimal value of what's included might appear as petty. "Aren't I worth an extra $3.48." NCL has gotcha.

How long ago did you do this as I believe the Price for JW Blue has increased to $35??? I ordered a Remy XO in November on the Breakaway and that used to cost me the same as your JW Blue. I asked the bartender in Prime Meridian how much that would be and it came out to additional $24 so I said no thanks.

The menu just shows "ultra premium" and to "ask server for pricing". They probably looked for wherever there were "good" deals and eliminated them! ;)