Salt water pools

Cruiser-66

On our previous cruise on the Grand Princess, during my Ultimate Ships Tour, the Chief Engineer made a definite point regarding the ship's capability for generating fresh water at sea by stating how many times they could drain and refill all the pools in a given amount of time. Don't remember the exact number but it was quite impressive !!

...VTX-Al

On our previous cruise on the Grand Princess, during my Ultimate Ships Tour, the Chief Engineer made a definite point regarding the ship's capability for generating fresh water at sea by stating how many times they could drain and refill all the pools in a given amount of time. Don't remember the exact number but it was quite impressive !!

...VTX-Al

I believe he may have been referring to the fresh water capacity, not the capability to make water to drain and fill the pools repeatedly. The ships generally have the ability to produce 150%-200% of the water needed daily (without pool draining), to allow for the time in ports when water cannot be made. The ship also stores about 3-5 days of water consumption, for a ship like the Grand, this would be about 2500-3500 metric tons. If the Chief wanted to drain and refill all the pools a couple times over, this amount of storage would allow him to do so, but then he would be short handed for domestic water use for the rest of the cruise.

I believe he may have been referring to the fresh water capacity, not the capability to make water to drain and fill the pools repeatedly. The ships generally have the ability to produce 150%-200% of the water needed daily (without pool draining), to allow for the time in ports when water cannot be made. The ship also stores about 3-5 days of water consumption, for a ship like the Grand, this would be about 2500-3500 metric tons. If the Chief wanted to drain and refill all the pools a couple times over, this amount of storage would allow him to do so, but then he would be short handed for domestic water use for the rest of the cruise.

NOT !. He was specifically referring to the capability of the fresh water generating system, and was simply using the pools as an example for us dumb land-lubbers to be able to visualize this capability. I have no idea how often they actually drain and replace the water in cruise ship swimming pools, or where they do it - alongside or at sea :D

...VTX-Al

• 2 weeks later...