RCCL Fish

carlp

I haven't found "good" seafood on a ship yet.....(not that it's rotten..it's not!), but certainly not what you'd find in a oceanfront restaurant in many places! ALL seafood on a ship (or anywhere, for that matter) has been previously frozen. Unless it's caught, cleaned and cooked the same day, it's all frozen.

Like steaks and other meats, you'll get better presentation and quality of seafood in my humble opinion in the Specialty Restaurants. My favorite meal on RCL is the Tuna Tatake fillet in Chops,I try to have it each time on every sailing. While I'm not a total foodie, being from the west coast I have sushi/sashimi weekly in one of the most diverse Asian populated cities in the world with incredible restaurants everywhere... the Chops tuna could easily be served here .locally for me here in my hometown and I wouldn't know the difference.

P1080851_zpsohyykty6.jpg

Another to try which is rarely spoken about here on Cruise Critic, and again in Chops, is the Spicy Jumbo Shrimp entree,

DSC05333_zpsyncr0fdj.jpg

Regardless of where they were sourced, I discovered the quality of the seafood was much better than anything served in the MDR by far.. Hope this gives your wife at least a couple of great options to try :)

Leaving on Oasis in 3 weeks

My wife is a big fish eater.

We were questioning where does RCCL get the fish. Hopefully NOT from China. Any info appreciated

:rolleyes: Do you mean your wife is big, and she eats fish? :evilsmile: Do you mean your wife only eats big fish? Or your wife is big on eating fish? :confused:

I kid, I kid. They get their fish mostly from fish farms in the US and Canada. :cool:

MY lady and I have enjoyed all the fish and lobster we could ever eat. Having said that, Fish on most cruise ships are OVER COOKED, funny but that is the way that most American think fish should be cooked. On our X cruise over XMAS in the mar she would order the fish and send it back, even the cook came out and inquired LOL. It got so funny the waiter, same every night would ask for a back up plan. They did some fish that was edible, however, one night they had a tuna steak encrusted with sesame seeds, IT WAS SPECTACULAR, one of the best she has ever had, I had another dish and requested to have a small portion at the table. It was cooked to perfection and red on the inside, what a treat.

Back to OP, even the fish we have tried in the speciality restaurants has been hit or miss, and usually over cooked, SO SEND IT BACK if not happy.

PS I have some fries aki tuna steaks for dinner tonight getting hungry already

I haven't found "good" seafood on a ship yet.....(not that it's rotten..it's not!), but certainly not what you'd find in a oceanfront restaurant in many places! ALL seafood on a ship (or anywhere, for that matter) has been previously frozen. Unless it's caught, cleaned and cooked the same day, it's all frozen.

Almost all fish in the US is previously frozen. Even at great seafood restaurants.