Special needs care in children's program

sixfish

Has anyone had any experience with having their special needs child participate in the children's program? Our daughter has autism and will be joining us on Jewel 3/12/17. She is not high needs, but is non-verbal and we were hoping to do an excursion in one port and have her stay onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anyone had any experience with having their special needs child participate in the children's program? Our daughter has autism and will be joining us on Jewel 3/12/17. She is not high needs, but is non-verbal and we were hoping to do an excursion in one port and have her stay onboard.

They do their best, BUT as the grandmother of an autistic child (he's nearly 18 now) who is also non-verbal, I don't think I would ever leave him on the ship where he would have difficulty communicating while I went off on an excursion. There would have to be other family members on board for me to even consider this. Of course, we all have different comfort levels.

My son who has autism did fine in Adventure Ocean, they were fine about him not participating in group activities and let him do his own thing, but he was talking.

I personally wouldn't leave either of my children on board while I left the ship, regardless of their needs. So I can't speak to whether you would be able to do that or not.

I did contact them and they could not commit to anything, they said to speak to the program once on board.

She is 24 years old, can communicate fully using her iPad. I wouldn't leave her if I wasn't absolutely sure she would be fine... she would spend the day listening to music and people watching... she really is easy going.

I did contact them and they could not commit to anything, they said to speak to the program once on board.

She is 24 years old, can communicate fully using her iPad. I wouldn't leave her if I wasn't absolutely sure she would be fine... she would spend the day listening to music and people watching... she really is easy going.

If I read correctly your child is "24"? I don't think there is a program for children that old, at least non I know and I've been on 100 cruises.[emoji12][emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't imagine that they would likely have anyone on board who is qualified to care for an adult of that age. I've not been on my cruise yet, but I also can't imagine, even if they would care for her, that they would allow you to go off the ship for the day and leave her behind. You would need to be easily accessible in an emergency. I can't wait to use the kids room, but would never go off the ship and leave him behind.

The age on the first day of the cruise is used as a qualifier for Adventure Ocean and the teen club. If a child will turn 3 on the second day of the cruise, they are too young to go to AO. If they are 18 on the first day of the cruise they are too old to go to the teen club.

perhaps you could hire a companion ("babysitting" is available once on board) just for the time you plan to be gone? Special Needs dept should be able to help out here.

Also, there is a non-royal Caribbean affiliated group that travels on cruise ships called Autism on the Seas. it's a fantastic program that assists families with members on the autism spectrum. it won't help you with this sailing, but if you look it up, it might help in the future!

i wish you good luck!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

at 24 she is in no way whatsoever eligible for any programming on board or the in cabin babysitting. and no they cannot/do not make allowances for mental age.

you would need to bring your own caregiver if you wanted any alone time at all.

While I agree with you on the AO programming - How do you know that an in cabin care taker cannot be arranged?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

While I agree with you on the AO programming - How do you know that an in cabin care taker cannot be arranged?

While it just might be possible, in-room sitting is strictly on an as-available basis and is done be volunteers from housekeeping, guest services and the like. They are NOT professional caregivers like the AO staff. I think the OP would need to bring along their own caregiver if they want any alone time at all. While AO will move a special needs child down an age group, this is clearly an adult. We had lunch in the MDR once with a family with a special needs daughter. I think she was 20. They needed to have her with them 24/7.

I can also highly recommend Autism at Sea cruises.

While it just might be possible, in-room sitting is strictly on an as-available basis and is done be volunteers from housekeeping, guest services and the like. They are NOT professional caregivers like the AO staff. I think the OP would need to bring along their own caregiver if they want any alone time at all. While AO will move a special needs child down an age group, this is clearly an adult. We had lunch in the MDR once with a family with a special needs daughter. I think she was 20. They needed to have her with them 24/7.

I can also highly recommend Autism at Sea cruises.

i laughed to myself at the "prefessional caregivers " status you gave the AO staff. They are for tge most part, basically young adults who probably have a desire to work with kids when they "grow up".

As for the in room sitting, they are not volunteers... they get paid a generous hourly rate, and I'd be surprised if there was an age limit. but that's just me [emoji6]

i laughed to myself at the "prefessional caregivers " status you gave the AO staff. They are for tge most part, basically young adults who probably have a desire to work with kids when they "grow up".

As for the in room sitting, they are not volunteers... they get paid a generous hourly rate, and I'd be surprised if there was an age limit. but that's just me [emoji6]

Just so you're aware, all of the "young adults" you're talking about have degrees in (mostly) early child care. These aren't 10 dollar an hour babysitters.

From the RCCL press center:

All children’s activities are supervised by male or female youth staff that must have a four year University degree or international equivalent in Education, Recreation or a related field. All staff also has at least three to five years qualified experience in working with children ages six months to 17 years. Nursery staff must have the same above qualifications as well attend a 30 hour Nursery Training where the curriculum and hands on experience is in line with Florida State Standards of care.

Just so you're aware, all of the "young adults" you're talking about have degrees in (mostly) early child care. These aren't 10 dollar an hour babysitters.

All children’s activities are supervised by male or female youth staff that must have a four year University degree or international equivalent in Education, Recreation or a related field. All staff also has at least three to five years qualified experience in working with children ages six months to 17 years. Nursery staff must have the same above qualifications as well attend a 30 hour Nursery Training where the curriculum and hands on experience is in line with Florida State Standards of care.

Was just going say this...

My autistic daughter has gone to adventure ocean once or twice. She is "high functioning" and verbal but they still did not like having her there. She hates it anyway.

I'm gonna be honest, there is no way they will take a 24 year old. No. I know you know your child, but all autistic folks are different, and I hate to say it, but they have no guaruntee that your 24 year old won't meltdown and become violent around the much younger kids. IF that happened it would be a nightmare for everyone. I know you know her and you know she won't. But they have to err on the side of caution.

You are misinterpreting the "volunteer" term. They volunteer to be added to the in-cabin babysitting roster, and if they are requested, they get paid, yes. If no crew members volunteer, then there is no in-cabin babysitting offered for that sailing - period. I heard this straight from our babysitters themselves - they were the only 2 people who had volunteered during our sailing, as such only 1 family got them each night. One night we asked, and were told the service was not available, and the next night we got them. They were very nice, looked to be late 20's both of them, very sweet and very friendly/personable.

wow... with all that required experience, rccl must be paying those staffers a boat load of money to provide summer camp crafts and activities for your kids while you vacation for a week!!!

Sorry if i offended those "professionals!" but, hey... you get what you pay for!

wow... with all that required experience, rccl must be paying those staffers a boat load of money to provide summer camp crafts and activities for your kids while you vacation for a week!!!

Sorry if i offended those "professionals!" but, hey... you get what you pay for!

I pay a crap load of money for child care at home every week at daycare centers with far less qualified and enthusiastic staff than what we met in AO on our last cruise. They were amazing - smart, funny, creative, caring, and just excellent at their jobs. Keeping that many kids at various age groups occupied and happy and also having the responsibility to keep them safe is a tough one. And our staff nailed it. My kids even learned things in the science segments!

OP - I'm sorry that you are not going to be able to use their services. I hope you find a way to make some thing work.

OP, do you seriously think that a CHILD care center is going to take an ADULT?

By your reasoning, they should also take everyone's 95yo demented grandparent, and that's just not going to happen, sorry.

You need to either leave your daughter (who, while she will always be YOUR child, is not, actually, a child anymore by any means) at home, or you need to bring along someone who can provide for her care in your absence.

I'm actually planning on doing something similar for one of my patients. I'm a private duty nurse, and I have a client who wants to cruise. They'll pay for my airfare and stateroom, and I'll care for the client's needs on vacation. Maybe you can find someone to go along with you in this capacity in exchange for you covering their costs?

AO staff have degrees in early childhood education and Special Education. they are trained ion dealing with a variety if issues.

the people who in cabin babysit, yes there is a per hour fee and yes there are two of them but they are Volunteering to give up their free time to earn that extra cash. they are equivalent to your local babysitter at home. at best they have had the basic ARC babysitting class( and I bet not even that and are just parents themselves wanting to hang around little kids) I highly doubt anyone would be willing or capable of handling an Adult with special needs.. I say this as the Aunt of a 20 YO non verbal autistic nephew who had to be placed in a group home 2 states away as he was a danger to his younger siblings and his parents( whose he put in the hospital several times)

yes they do get paid more than the majority of the staff you interact with.. they do not get the bulk of their income from gratuities like the bar servers and housekeeping staff

Perhaps one of the staff from the Autisim at sea program could sit with her in your cabin as a sitter. No gurantee until you get on board and ask. You'd still have to pay but someone from that program would have had training in dealing with the issues of Autisim. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app