If you could only choose one

Liv4Beach

Cork, Ireland

Would you choose Blarney Castel, Woolen Mill Shop, and Kinsale

OR

Take train to Killarney National Park and Muckross House?

I was looking at shorex out of Cobh with Princess and they had the first one going to Youghal rather than Kinsale so we were very interested as we had our honeymoon there in 1966!! When I phoned they wouldn't guarantee Youghal. We decided against that one after having read all about Blarney and the crowds and steps.

We chose West Cork's Scenic Wonders.

Mike

I don't know if you have looked into the train service. Remembering that you are probably docked in Cobh between 7.30am and 6pm and you have to get off the boat and then be back before 6pm the train service may be hectic.

I put in the latest date that a timetable was available at the moment between Cobh and Killarney; here is the link.

http://journeyplanner.irishrail.ie/bin/query.exe/en?OK#focus

Hope it works out.

Mike

Cork, Ireland

OR

We have never been there but... We would likely take the first one. I need to kiss the stone and anything to do with Woolen Mill Shop would make my wife's eyes light up big time. :)

Cork, Ireland

OR

Obviously, this is a question of what floats YOUR boat. We've been to both locations on a land tour.

Blarney Castle - historical place, beautiful grounds and surroundings, and kissing the stone is not mandatory or for the faint of heart should you fear heights.

Woolen Mill Shop - this is arguably the best place in Ireland to buy Irish souvenirs of any kind. They have everything from Donegal Tweed caps to knit sweaters, to shirts, to jewelry (we bought a Claddagh ring for our daughter there), to tin whistles.

Killarney National Park - very peaceful place, but in our experience, not really much to do there. Can't tell you much about the house - we didn't tour it, having already toured an Irish manor house in the Dublin area.

On our last Princess TA cruise, we considered going to the Ring of Kerry (relatives there), but decided against it due to travel time, and limited port time. One other thing affected our decision - the ship didn't dock in Cobh, but across the bay due to another ship and Titanic celebration in Cobh.

Cork, Ireland

OR

I'd go for the second option. We chose the first last September and found Kinsale to be a lot of fun, but found Blarney a bunch of hooey.

Jim

Cork, Ireland

OR

We have been to both and I would chose Killarney National Park and Muckross House. Blarney is to crowded and to many steps.

I would do neither. I would save some money and hang out in Cobh, one of my favorite Irish cities. They have an excellent small museum on immigration just feet away from where the ship docks. They have a nice cathedral. Not to mention a few good pubs where you can meet locals. When we were there about 8 years ago, they had some art stores near the dock that my wife enjoyed. I am not big on Blarney Castle, very touristy. Back in the 70's we were warned not to kiss the stone in that drunk locals would go there at night and pee on it. I am sure that problem is solved by now. I am not big on shopping but I think you could find some shops in the city that sells Irish textiles etc.

I agree with dfields1814 we did a guided walking tour of Cobh which included amongst others the museum and the wonderful cathedral. The tour ended in a pub for an Irish coffee or Guinness. The guide, a local school teacher, was excellent and explained the towns connections with the Titanic, lusitania and the potato famine emigrants.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I hate to say it, but Blarney Castle makes the list on every "what NOT to see in Ireland" list. Too touristy, and not really super-historically-significant. Unlike, say the Rock of Cashel.

Cobh has a lot to offer, as mentioned. The Cobh Heritage Centre is fantastic.

Kinsale is amazing. If you're intrepid enough to venture there on your own, there's a walking tour that's not to be missed. It's recommended in a number of guide books. http://www.historicstrollkinsale.com

• 2 weeks later...

Princess has a shore excursion to Killarney by train that says you board the train near the pier. Stops include free time in Killarney with lunch. You take a motor coach to see Muckross House, Ross Castle, and Torque Falls. Says they serve scones & tea on the train both going and coming. Pricey but at least you are assured that the ship will wait on you if you are delayed.