DO NOT Book with an online "travel agent" if going HAL!

Telejoke

We booked through one of those automated online "travel" companies and it's been a nightmare getting help with cruise related supplemental travel, transfers, etc.

Holland America does not have a customer service infrastructure to think outside the box and nobody has the authority to handle complex issues. XXXX says they can't do transfers because those are booked through the cruise line and HAL says they cannot book transfers because that's done by the travel agent.

Unfortunately, we chose to book through the most notoriously customer-hostile of the big online travel sites, so it's our own fault. Just a word of warning to those considering a HAL cruise to only book through the cruise line or through a local travel professional who understands their system (and can use Flight Ease).

I'm praying and hoping they don't refuse basic services on the ship because we chose this "travel agent" to book. So disappointed and we haven't even set sail yet.

Unfortunately, we chose to book through the most notoriously customer-hostile of the big online travel sites, so it's our own fault. Just a word of warning to those considering a HAL cruise to only book through the cruise line or through a local travel professional who understands their system (and can use Flight Ease).

Have you thought about cancelling and re-booking with another agency?

Same. We have our cruise on the Eurodam in 31 days and never using them again. Saved money (cheapest quote I got) but definitely not worth the hassle ever again.

You can transfer. Call the World Reservations Department of HAL and they will send the agency a transfer request. If they don't respond in 48 hours, the transfer is automatically done, but beware, the price will go up.

1‐800‐522‐3399

Just a word of warning to those considering a HAL cruise to only book through the cruise line or through a local travel professional who understands their system (and can use Flight Ease).

I have had nothing but good experiences booking through three online agencies, all off whom have offered excellent service via phone or email and saved me a bunch of money over dealing direct with the cruise line. The "local travel professionals" lost my business years ago with their slow response, limited hours, high prices, and fees.

I've had zero problems with HAL's "customer service infrastructure" and their ability to think "outside the box," as you put it, through a different online agency than the one you are using and mentioned by name elsewhere on the forum.

HAL has been very responsive to changes, additions (including transfers) and complex special needs. I think your problem is actually originating not with HAL at all, but with the sub-par online agency you chose to use, as you've acknowledged. Hope your cruise won't be affected if you stick with that agency.

We have booked many cruises, including HAL, with an on line TA. Why? Excellent service, extended business hours, and generous OBC's.

I believe that your chances of dealing with a poor on line agent are just as good as dealing with a poor B&M agent.

We have spoken to, and attempted to deal with numerous local TA's. Many turned out to be vacation bookers vs travel agents.

Being local is by no means a guarantee of professionalism or good service.

It really comes down to getting the right TA. In our experience where they happen to be located does not come into our selection process.

So sorry that you are having problems with your online booking agent. I hope everything will work out for you.

Thank you. I've had to go back and forth between them and HAL for a week now. Mistake was not going to a TA I could talk to face to face, and who had access to HAL's booking system. I think more seasoned cruisers could do online booking and not have customer service issues (knowing how the company you're using works, etc. ahead of time makes it easier).

As it is, the $300 ship board credit is no more... according to the CSR from offshore, I "disqualified" myself by using the wrong credit card to book.

The thought occurred to me because we're well within the cancellation period. However, the category of staterooms we wanted are sold out. I don't want to risk losing the whole cruise because I'm frustrated over customer service. From what I can tell from folks who've been on HAL cruises here, the service on board is way better than what we've experienced talking to phone support folks :-)

Being local is by no means a guarantee of professionalism or good service.

It really comes down to getting the right TA. In our experience where they happen to be located does not come into our selection process.

Excellent points -- and glad to hear folks do get good service from the online booking engines. I'm not thinking a local TA is more or less professional because they're local, so much as you can talk to them, discover their qualifications (and maybe references from other cruisers, etc.) and have an American human being you can talk to end-to-end through the booking process.

I'm certain a lack of experience of booking cruise travel (together with airlines, transfers and hotels, etc.) on my part has a lot to do with it. But when you're inexperienced, confused and frustrated, talking to a call center in Pakistan or India is not as easy as talking to Sally at the TA on main street.

The thought occurred to me because we're well within the cancellation period. However, the category of staterooms we wanted are sold out. I don't want to risk losing the whole cruise because I'm frustrated over customer service. From what I can tell from folks who've been on HAL cruises here, the service on board is way better than what we've experienced talking to phone support folks :-)

Are they actually sold out, or just "blocked out" by travel agencies who may be holding the space? I'm concerned by your mention of an "offshore" call-center. Perhaps others more savvy than I am could clarify, but is that usual for on-line travel agencies? The reservation process shouldn't be so fraught with problems. (I book through a local travel agency with an agent who has known me and my family for years. I've never encountered anything so awful as you are experiencing. I'm really sorry for you ).

No need to cancel, just have your current TA release your booking back to HAL, then have HAL move this to your new TA, or leave it with HAL, your choice. Personally, I use a 'live' TA (and have since 1982) who gets me great deals and perks, and has been able to match most anything I can find for fares, plus he can work with HAL for whatever I need.

I often wonder about this...

I keep getting e-mails quoting my cruise below what is on the HAL site... (I am PIF, so I ignore, but I wonder how they can quote $300 less than what HAL shows.)

I book though an online agent that is receptive to phone calls & e-mails and we get a percentage of the fare added to our son's college savings scheme.

Depends on the agency you select. Be careful.

We've used the largest on line cruise agency in the country for some time.... Booked probably 20 cruises or more with them. Never had any problem. In fact, they went to bat for us about an unqualified HAL on-board cruise consultant and recovered more than $2,500 in supposedly "non-refundable" payments.

Like so many things....It is buyer beware.

I keep getting e-mails quoting my cruise below what is on the HAL site... (I am PIF, so I ignore, but I wonder how they can quote $300 less than what HAL shows.)

I book though an online agent that is receptive to phone calls & e-mails and we get a percentage of the fare added to our son's college savings scheme.

Goan, another abbreviagtion that I an't figuure out. What is PFIF? :confused:

Thanks

Goan, another abbreviagtion that I an't figuure out. What is PFIF? :confused:

Thanks

Sail,

of the 54 :rolleyes: available definitions for PIF, think the poster probably means Paid in Full, not the high grade marijuana that is also referred to as PIF (according to Google).

Sail,

of the 54 :rolleyes: available definitions for PIF, think the poster probably means Paid in Full, not the high grade marijuana that is also referred to as PIF (according to Google).

ThaNK YOU. aLL these innocuous abbreviations, make me crazy. Lots of posters think evveryone knows what they all mean. :D

This is ruining your vacation. Get out of it if you can. Do it today.

Try the HAL personal cruise consultants. These people will bend over backwards for you. As you found out, good service is much better than saving a few dollars.

igraf

This is ruining your vacation. Get out of it if you can. Do it today.

Try the HAL personal cruise consultants. These people will bend over backwards for you. As you found out, good service is much better than saving a few dollars.

igraf

Depends on the amount of "few dollars". :) In our case it's typically $1,000+. We use an Internet based TA and have for 14 years but not one of the mega cruise agencies, big box store chains, or hotel/resort/cruise/flight/rental car combination agencies. We've had nothing but great service, nothing like the OP has experienced.

We use a personal cruise consultant with HAL and have use the same person for about 6 cruises, when ever there is a question of a significant perk or lower price they have just matched it.

We used various TA in the past and HAL seems more convenient and no more expensive. They also call us if a last minute inexpensive upgrade is available. Several times we have upgraded cabin class at the last minute for $100-$200 per person,

OP: If there is anything we can help you with from here, we will do our best.

It may be possible to transfer your booking to a HAL PCC or other TA, certainly worth considering. I'd think aobut calling HAL, asking to talk to a PCC and tell them what's going on and see what they can do for you. My guess is that it would be a big improvement, even if not all in cost.

Sorry you are having difficulties, but good for you that you have a cruise booked! Once onboard I hope you have good AHHHH time. m--

We use a personal cruise consultant with HAL and have use the same person for about 6 cruises, when ever there is a question of a significant perk or lower price they have just matched it.

We used various TA in the past and HAL seems more convenient and no more expensive. They also call us if a last minute inexpensive upgrade is available. Several times we have upgraded cabin class at the last minute for $100-$200 per person,

We have only used the HAL consultant on one, our very first cruise, so I cannot say how susceptible HAL is to negotiating lower prices. However, we have used two or three different online TA's who have bettered HAL's price by 10 - 12%, plus giving additional OBC's. So, in my limited experience with dealing directly with HAL, I find them to be considerable more expensive. But, then, again, I have never asked HAL to match a price of the online TA because we have always been satisfied with them.

OP: If you could be a little more specific about what "on board" benefits you are concerned about, it would be helpful

Our last HAL cruise wasn't much more than $1000 for two! :-)

We tend to book very close to the sailing date. In our cases, the PCC has been able to secure great deals and a good cabin location. More importantly, when I had a special request or a problem they were able to help me. Sure, there are good alternatives but the internet is a "buyer beware" situation and the OP drew the short stick this time.

It is a fact that if one books through a travel agent and needs help, then cruise lines and airlines will often refuse to help you directly if there is a problem. I have been through this myself even though it was the airline that caused the problem (cancelled pre-cruise flight).

igraf

Depends on the amount of "few dollars". :) In our case it's typically $1,000+. We use an Internet based TA and have for 14 years but not one of the mega cruise agencies, big box store chains, or hotel/resort/cruise/flight/rental car combination agencies. We've had nothing but great service, nothing like the OP has experienced.