How many people prefer the Main Dining Room (MDR) over the buffet when boarding?

trbarton

We prefer anywhere ,but the buffet on embarkation day. But having said that ,the dining room if open for embarkation lunch has had very limited choices and we walk away hungry. So if the ship has an Alfredos , we much prefer that . We sometimes even prefer international café , anything but the buffet just too crowded and one of us has to stay at the table while the other one goes in search for food and then we end up not enjoying lunch together. Julie

We have eaten in the dining room on embarkation a few times. I have to admit our experience has always been meh-limited choices, and the food was not very tasty. Plus, a couple of times we had to talk our way into the dining room--the person at the door discouraged us from going into the dining room and tried to redirect us to the Horizon Court. Then we would say "No, we want to have lunch in the dining room." Then they will go talk to someone in the dining room and come back out and say he was mistaken, and yes, we are welcome for lunch.

We prefer to go to the IC for a hot panini sandwich and salad; or go up to the lido and enjoy our first slice of margherita pizza. We'll be sailing on the Regal at the end of the month and plan on going to Alfredo's for lunch.

Truth be told - we actually love the HC on embarkation day. We enjoy the hustle and bustle and being in the middle of the excitement. New cruisers' (and old) enthusiasm is catching and we find ourselves laughing and joking with fellow passengers. On the flip side, we went to the MDR once and were underwhelmed by the menu and the staid atmosphere that so many here seem to prefer.

my other reason for the Buffett is I am too excited to sit for very long. I need to eat and move about the ship until we leave. I am like a kid in a candy store. I fell in love with cruising in 1984 and the love has not faded. Once we set sail I do calm down and I am one who loves TD.

I'm with you Toescat! Usually DH and I start off with a nice relaxing lunch in MDR. But the more I cruise the more it is getting harder to sit and wait to be served when I know that whole ship is just sitting there waiting for me to explore.

Looking forward to a short cruise in April with a new cruising friend. Should be so much fun sailing with her and showing her around. Heck if the weather is good maybe it will be pizza on the pool deck!

The only time I go to the MDR is for lunch on embarkation day. I love the burger and fries they serve.

It really is the best burger served on board. Somehow different from the "always available" burger on the MDR menus. Embarkation burger on the MDR lunch menu for the win!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At the entrance to the MDR on the Regal, there's a sign pointing to the right for Club Class cruisers.

I was very tempted to print up a sign saying "NO CLASS" pointing to the left.

I chickened out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I prefer Alfredos on embark day. However, Ruby does not have any lunch options except the buffet and main dining room. However, you have to race to get there by no later than 1:30 p.m. What a shame! So many specialty restaurants and none of them open for lunch????? I'd pay for a nice, quiet, served lunch that I don't have to race into the main dining room to enjoy. Usually, the bags arrive later than you expect with having the fire drill using up time so dinner often runs later for us.

Sort of sorry I booked the Ruby......No outdoor enclosed pool. Huge ship. Surprised.

We rarely manage to get to the port in time to board while lunch in MDR is still an option. We may manage MDR on our next cruise as we are flying in early the previous day. One never knows though. The last time we did that in LA was the "boarding from heck" and, even though we took the hotel shuttle to the port bright and early, we didn't manage to get onboard until around 3:30.

Note: I like breakfast in MDR as well but almost never manage to get there as we tend to sleep in late. ;)

I prefer Alfredos on embark day. However, Ruby does not have any lunch options except the buffet and main dining room and the international cafe in the piazza, the trident grill and the pizza place up on deck. However, you have to race to get there by no later than 1:30 p.m. What a shame! So many specialty restaurants and none of them open for lunch????? Specialty restaurants are only open in the evenings except when one might be used for the occasional Pub Lunch (never on embarkation day). I'd pay for a nice, quiet, served lunch that I don't have to race into the main dining room to enjoy. Usually, the bags arrive later than you expect with having the fire drill using up time so dinner often runs later for us.

Sort of sorry I booked the Ruby......No outdoor enclosed pool. Huge ship. Surprised.

See comments in red.

No fan of any "boo-fay" & rarely eat there except to grab a quick snack in the late afternoon. On embarkation too crowded & loud. No fun forging for food & trying to find a place to sit before it gets cold. Have seen too many people not washing their hands & unattended children doing a taste test with their fingers. Usually go to Alfredo's or grab a burger by the pool. Will be in CC on the next cruise on Regal but the regular MDR is usually open on embarkation day as well.

All of the lunch options - and the international cafe in the piazza, the trident grill and the pizza place up on deck. --- are a line, struggle to find a table and not impressive at all. Most people have traveled that morning dealing with flights or parking the car and lugging luggage. You want to relax, sit and be served a nice lunch. Dinner is usually later due to late arriving luggage in your room, etc. I LOVED Alfredos .... Lovely glass of wine, nice pizza served at a table and time to take a breath and say, "Yes, this is a cruise!!!!"