Purchasing/Returning jewelry bought aboard a Carnival cruise

GeorgiaMomof4

Good morning -

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with purchasing and then deciding to return the jewelry that you purchased aboard a Carnival ship? Returning for any reason - decided you didn't like it, wasn't as good of quality as they said, etc.

Anyone?

I've never been able to return anything once the cruise was over. I bought my mom a beautiful Perlina (I think its called) charm bracelet during their Perlina sale and even had to protect it from an older lady who tried to snatch it out of my hands! :rolleyes: Brought it home as part of a thank you gift to my mom for watching my little girl while I took a girl's trip. She loved it and wore it everyday until it slipped off her wrist after a month or so. The clasp broke and there was no way to fix it and the customer service was not helpful at all.

They have some nice things in the shops but I wouldn't pay an arm and a leg for any of it. If anything happens to it after the ship docks you're screwed and stuck with it basically.

Good morning -

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with purchasing and then deciding to return the jewelry that you purchased aboard a Carnival ship? Returning for any reason - decided you didn't like it, wasn't as good of quality as they said, etc.

Anyone?

Once the shops close the evening before your cruise returns to port, you own it whether you like it or not. As for warranty, "who ya gonna call" ?

Be very careful buying jewelry on any cruise. I bought a rather expensive piece from one of the on-board shops on a cruise - got all the "guarantee that it will appraise for double" and all that jazz from the ship. Got it appraised when I got back home and they said it was far less valuable than the price I bought it for. Tried to get my guarantee enforced - next thing I know, the guy who appraised it when I got back called me and told me he was "mistaken" and "didn't take into account the quality of the workmanship" or some such bull. Did the cruise line call him and strong-arm him or something? Who knows. Moral of the story - shop with your eyes open. Buy it if you love it but don't expect the "guarantee" to be real or enforceable - and you just might be paying too much.

Be very careful buying jewelry on any cruise. I bought a rather expensive piece from one of the on-board shops on a cruise - got all the "guarantee that it will appraise for double" and all that jazz from the ship. Got it appraised when I got back home and they said it was far less valuable than the price I bought it for. Tried to get my guarantee enforced - next thing I know, the guy who appraised it when I got back called me and told me he was "mistaken" and "didn't take into account the quality of the workmanship" or some such bull. Did the cruise line call him and strong-arm him or something? Who knows. Moral of the story - shop with your eyes open. Buy it if you love it but don't expect the "guarantee" to be real or enforceable - and you just might be paying too much.

I agree with you about paying too much......On the Pride these past two weeks I priced out a pendant that they quoted $1000 more (after all the bs discounts they claimed to give) than what it was sold at. I also priced out some other brand name pieces which they blatantly sold at a price that was ridiculously more than our local Macy's and Lord and Taylors. The jewelry ambassador (as he claimed he was) and his resident side kick were total crooks. I felt sorry to see the captive idiots they had under their spell.

Hi there

Once in a while, you will see some people who feel they have gotten very good value from the shops on the ship after having the pieces appraised at home. I think that this is the exception rather than the norm. Same goes with the Park West offerings.

If you buy something when you are away from home and buy impulsively just make sure you like it because the likelihood of being able to get a refund is slim.

One thing, at least because of technology, for things like pieces that are name brands, you are able to check online what you may be able to purchase elsewhere. Certainly before you pay too much for a watch (lets say) just because they said it was 90% off, check online first.

buyer beware

good luck

I see hoards of people on various cruise lines most recently on the vista last month buying gold by the inch. I've never actually stopped to take a look but seems very popular. Does it tarnish easily? I'm just intrigued.

Sent from my SM-P550 using Forums mobile app

It doesn't tarnish but it's not real gold either, and the clasp on mine was cheap...

I never spend a lot on jewelry for myself, but I purchase a silver ring that lost a stone after I returned home. I brought the ring and the receipt with me on my next cruise, less than 1 year and they exchanged it no problem. I also purchased the charm bracelets set (perlina) and it turned a strange color. Next cruise, I brought it to the ship store and they exchanged it no problem. I guess I've been lucky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have returned jewelry after my cruise. I called carnival and they gave me the contact phone number of the jewelry headquarters. I was then directed to a website where I could print off the return form. I had to send a copy of my Sail n sign that included my purchase. I received a check for the full refund in about 3 weeks. My return reason was " item wasn't quality as expected" (or something like that). Very easy process

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love to "look" at all the gorgeous pieces they have under those enhancing halogen lights. There aremany pieces that I wish were mine but I would never pay the prices they ask. I suppose my age and experience have guided me right on out the door. That being said, my nephew and his wife just returned from their first Carnival cruise. Yep they fell for the bs and bought her a beautiful unusual ring. I just hope my face didn't show my shock when she told me what they paid for the ring. I just kept telling her how much I loved it. I really do love the ring, just not at that price. I hope it holds up for many years.

My advice to anyone thinking about purchasing jewelry onboard isto do some shopping around on land and get an idea of prices before you sail. As far as returns, thats another reason I'd never purchase from them.

I certainly had a rough time (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1973557) with a return, but in the end Carnival stood by their guarantee even if their contractor didn't. And, they have replaced that contractor, Starboard Services, with a different company so I don't know what the customer service is like now. I resolved to not purchase expensive jewelry on board or in port. BUT, the ring we purchased was a very unique design that we could not find anywhere at home or even online. We eventually found a similar design at Diamonds Int. in Grand Turk. So, I again used my super-duper customer service credit card that I know will protect me and we have been happy with our purchase.

But for onboard purchases, Carnival did act like they had nothing to do with our Fun Shop purchase at first, but you can call Carnival's customer service if you have problems with the return and they will intervene. Don't feel you are "stuck" with it once the cruise is over.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I've purchased items at Diamond International that I've been more than pleased with - loved it first of all and loved it even more when it appraised for double what I paid for it.

I did just purchase some earrings while we were on the Magic in February and I haven't had them appraised yet. Even so, I'm thinking about returning them because I'm just not sure they are me!

I was just curious as to what hoops I would have to jump through to do that though and some of you have given me hope just in case that is what I decide to do.

Thanks again!

I never returned Jewelry, but we purchased a Carnival duffel bag on wheels to place souvenirs in. One of the wheels broke before we even got off the ship. One we got to he airport, I asked John Heald about it. He provided me the contact information. After sending them a photo, I got to keep my broke duffel bag and received a check two weeks later for what we paid for it.