Royal Caribbean Charges for Room Service, Revamps Menu

LauraS

I never get room service, so this doesn't apply to me. But I don't know why all the complaints, because charges for service will not stop those inclined to have it. NCL started charging $7.95 about two years ago and they're not losing any business because of it. In fact, they're doing better than ever because of their free drink packages. Now if RC did that .................. ;)

It would be disappointing if it did apply to you. I'm sure if RCCL took away say free drinks in Diamond lounge or started charging a small fee to use it people might understand the complaints. But if it doesn't apply to of course you don't understand the complaints.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It would be disappointing if it did apply to you. I'm sure if RCCL took away say free drinks in Diamond lounge or started charging a small fee to use it people might understand the complaints. But if it doesn't apply to of course you don't understand the complaints.

But if it did apply to me I wouldn't B**** about it. It's just another cost of your vacation. 8 bucks is not gonna make or break me, nor will it for the majority. It's just that nobody wants an upcharge on anything. I'm surprised more aren't complaining about the increased daily service charge, or, have they already done that on another thread?

I have no dog in this fight, we sail in suites so will be exempt. But I do have to say the new menu is far more appealing than the old offerings. the fact that you can get appetizers/bar food( wings, nachos, etc) is fantastic.

at least one day on a cruise my body refuses to play nice, and that's usually when I have RS lunch. that being said, I wish they'd keep the cheese plate and fruit plate as an included amenity like the continental breakfast. while I love a plate of that in the cabin as we get ready for formal night or a very late dinner to tide us over, no way is it worth $8, not unless they upgrade it by an order of magnitude.

No dog in this fight as we have order from room service once in 20 cruises. But loyalty to their existing customers is not the plan, nor has it been for ANY of the mass market lines for years. It does not make financial sense to do so. Existing, repeat customers tend to spend less on board : buy fewer ship-sponsored excursions, are less likely to take seriously the marketing to shop only in cruise line approved stores etc. They have a lot of berths to fill and will continue to focus on the multitudes that have never cruised before.

It will continue to get worse. RCI is a corporation. They have to keep the shareholders happy. That means forever increasing profits. The only way to do that is:

1. Cut costs

2. Increase revenue.

If RCI did none of those things the company would become stagnant and quickly be out of business.

In business, profits ALWAYS have to be increasing. That's just the nature of the beast.

I never get room service, so this doesn't apply to me. But I don't know why all the complaints, because charges for service will not stop those inclined to have it. NCL started charging $7.95 about two years ago and they're not losing any business because of it. In fact, they're doing better than ever because of their free drink packages. Now if RC did that .................. ;)

Do you have a citation?

I personally avoided booking NCL because of all their nickle and diming. The way RCl is going, looks like my next cruise will be on Princess.

Do you have a citation?

I personally avoided booking NCL because of all their nickle and diming. The way RCl is going, looks like my next cruise will be on Princess.

Princess? I have almost 1000 days on Princess and they too are in the process of contemplating the same RS charges. It may take them a bit longer, but they too will eventually do it. It's all about revenue.

Princess? I have almost 1000 days on Princess and they too are in the process of contemplating the same RS charges. It may take them a bit longer, but they too will eventually do it. It's all about revenue.

How do you happen to know that "Princess is in the process of contemplating the same RS charges"??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

According to CC it says $7.95 per order. So if you have 4 people in your room and order for all 4 is it still $7.95 total?

You're correct. If you order a sandwich, it will cost you $7.95. If, after the sandwich has been delivered, decide you'd also like a salad, it's another $7.95. However, if you call and order the sandwich and salad together, you'll only pay $7.95 once. It's per order, regardless of how many items are included in that order (within reason, I'm sure).

We used room service in the past for a couple reasons...if I was having vertigo issues I would just eat in the room...we always do early dining, so sometimes need a snack, and twice we did breakfast, however, it was all cold when we received it. If I continue to use room service and it costs me $7.95, then it needs to be on time AND the good hot and correct items. That's the only complaint I hear about room service on the forums and friends who cruise.

How do you happen to know that "Princess is in the process of contemplating the same RS charges"??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're Elite, Sunset. You must know a whole lot of the same people I do. Ask the upper echelon when you're on the Royal.

Well, that's it for me and my wife. I know in the grand scheme of things RCCL doesn't base their business model on repeat customers and our loyalty doesn't mean anything. The gradual diminishment of the royal experience has become too much to tolerate, and our money spends well in other places. We'll just return to AI vacations and will give MSC a chance to see what they're all about.

It's sad, we have a trip already booked (and paid for) on Anthem in August. It will be our first and last Royal cruise as Diamond. And I personally cannot and will not advocate RCCL to people who've never cruised before. Shame.

You're correct. If you order a sandwich, it will cost you $7.95. If, after the sandwich has been delivered, decide you'd also like a salad, it's another $7.95. However, if you call and order the sandwich and salad together, you'll only pay $7.95 once. It's per order, regardless of how many items are included in that order (within reason, I'm sure).

And that's why I think it could backfire. People will order extra to get their money's worth, and may only eat half or less of what they got. Especially as the menu is much nicer. Why wouldn't you order a dessert and salad with your burger if there's one delivery fee?

If their goal is to reduce orders and/or increase revenue they may be in for a surprise. Of course I'm sure they thought of this and have data suggesting I'm wrong. They're not stupid (I think.)

There's usually a service charge at hotels when one orders room service so I'm not surprised Royal decided to add one. We only used room service once in the last 4 cruises. We ordered cereal and the milk was room temperature so we were unable to eat the cereal. It will be interesting to see if guests use room service less with the new charge.

We'll just return to AI vacations and will give MSC a chance to see what they're all about.

Don't forget to ask for MSC for their Black status to match your D status.

Biker, who thinks this one of the more lame reasons to threaten to quit sailing RCI.

I am ok with the charge now that I see the updated menu. Fried eggs is great and more lunch dinner food. The old menu left a lot to be desired

I have to agree. I always found RCCL's breakfast weak compared to what I got on Carnival. Maybe it's a ploy they have done all along. Give us free sh&t food for breakfast then give us decent food and charge for it.

I am afraid it may cut into the tips for the RS attendant who really work for their money.

Don't forget to ask for MSC for their Black status to match your D status.

Biker, who thinks this one of the more lame reasons to threaten to quit sailing RCI.

Yes, we will. Our friends that we cruise with (husband is a TA) already got their status match a couple months ago and have been hounding us to get ours.

I agree it's a "lame" reason, but it's the straw that broke this camel's back. My wife dragged me on my first cruise almost 15years ago and it was an incredible experience...so much so that it became a regular thing for us. Little by little we've seen most of what made RCL special in our eyes gradually disappear. From the way it's going, I can see more coming, including elimination of D perks that we're finally able to enjoy. Its clear that they are trying to build revenue by bringing in new customers, at the expense of loyal/repeat ones. I don't like it, but I can understand it from a business perspective. We prefer to patronize businesses that value loyalty and will spend accordingly hereafter.

There's usually a service charge at hotels when one orders room service so I'm not surprised Royal decided to add one. We only used room service once in the last 4 cruises. We ordered cereal and the milk was room temperature so we were unable to eat the cereal. It will be interesting to see if guests use room service less with the new charge.

I pour the milk over ice and then into my cereal. Never had any ill results from doing this if you are concerned about the milk being good.