P&O response to questions about gratuities.

terrierjohn

We, too, are more than a little annoyed that our autotips are given to butlers who we never use as don't book suites, and head waiters who we rarely see...I have always been a defender of the autotips system but we will now be removing them and tipping our waiters, cabin steward and any bar staff we want to....I also get fed up it subsidising those who remove their tips and don't tip at all...

We, too, are more than a little annoyed that our autotips are given to butlers who we never use as don't book suites, and head waiters who we rarely see...I have always been a defender of the autotips system but we will now be removing them and tipping our waiters, cabin steward and any bar staff we want to....I also get fed up it subsidising those who remove their tips and don't tip at all...

As P&O serve mainly Brits they should have the tips included in the price not push the American lines ways of take,take and take more tips.

Then I'm sure most of us will do what we do and tip people who look after us.

If the ship and itinerary is what we want an extra £30 each on cruise and crew paid well would would not stop us booking and it shows fair play all round.

Love RCCL and P&O.

As P&O serve mainly Brits they should have the tips included in the price not push the American lines ways of take,take and take more tips.

Then I'm sure most of us will do what we do and tip people who look after us.

If the ship and itinerary is what we want an extra £30 each on cruise and crew paid well would would not stop us booking and it shows fair play all round.

Love RCCL and P&O.

Hi,it would be more than £30 if the £6pppd is absorbed into the price,cheers,Brian.

Hi,it would be more than £30 if the £6pppd is absorbed into the price,cheers,Brian.

We tend to just do short 5 or 4 night xmas, new year cruises now with P&O so for us that would be right.

Even for a 7 night cruise where everyone paid £30 extra it would work better rather than having the large numbers who stop the autotip and the negative response autotipping gets.

Love RCCL and P&O.

I do not think that cruise prices would have to increase by that much if P&O became "all-inclusive" with regarding gratuities. How many at the moment on any ship remove auto gratuities and then don't pay anything at all or less than the recommended amount, a fair few in my estimation. We met a couple on our last cruise on Britannia last October were proud to say they remove auto-gratuities and pay cabin steward and the 2 waiters £5 each for the whole cruise. Yes it could have been a wind up but do not think if I was doing that I would want to admit it to anyone. If P&O included gratuities in cruise price so that everybody on the ship paid I do not headline price of cruises would increase significantly and think it would benefit P&O with good publicity with headline claim "gratuities included". Also think that it doesn't help when P&O are constantly changing the name of the amount collected automatically and think this is done purely to muddy the waters and confuse cruisers and make them feel they have to pay it. By the way a recent change again and it is now called Service Reward Programme.

I do not think that cruise prices would have to increase by that much if P&O became "all-inclusive" with regarding gratuities. How many at the moment on any ship remove auto gratuities and then don't pay anything at all or less than the recommended amount, a fair few in my estimation. We met a couple on our last cruise on Britannia last October were proud to say they remove auto-gratuities and pay cabin steward and the 2 waiters £5 each for the whole cruise. Yes it could have been a wind up but do not think if I was doing that I would want to admit it to anyone. If P&O included gratuities in cruise price so that everybody on the ship paid I do not headline price of cruises would increase significantly and think it would benefit P&O with good publicity with headline claim "gratuities included". Also think that it doesn't help when P&O are constantly changing the name of the amount collected automatically and think this is done purely to muddy the waters and confuse cruisers and make them feel they have to pay it. By the way a recent change again and it is now called Service Reward Programme.

Perfectly said,you just have to read any of the threads on tipping to see how divisive it is.

Instead of using American philosophy P&O would make a big pro Briish statement by saying tips included.

As someone who keeps an eye on RCCL prices they act like double glazing salesmen where they stick the price right up to cover the cost for the big headlines FREE drinks or buy 1 get 1 half price because in reality we are all paying for these with the inflated prices.

Love RCCL and P&O.

We tend to just do short 5 or 4 night xmas, new year cruises now with P&O so for us that would be right.

Even for a 7 night cruise where everyone paid £30 extra it would work better rather than having the large numbers who stop the autotip and the negative response autotipping gets.

Love RCCL and P&O.

Sorry,I was basing my comment on a standard 2 week cruise,cheers,Brian

Hi,yes I get that but that is a huge assumption that well over 50% remove tips,which would be at least that to make no significant difference by including tips in price for everyone,cheers,Brian.

In our cruising days with P&O we were told by an officer that a surprising number of passengers gave empty envelopes on tipping day and that many of the staff eyed the American cruise line system of auto gratuities with envy. Since then that's precisely what has happened but if these gratuities can be removed then some will and probably those who gave empty envelopes would do precisely that.

Tips, gratuities, service charges or whatever the cruise lines call them will always be controversial with some. These days we mainly cruise with lines where everything is included in the fare, contrary to what many believe service does not suffer and staff are not always looking for something extra.

However often we feel extra is deserved by many of the staff and the easiest way is to contribute to the crew welfare fund. Most cruise lines operate this type of fund and it not only helps crew members in times of hardship but provides funds for crew events.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We met a couple on our last cruise on Britannia last October were proud to say they remove auto-gratuities and pay cabin steward and the 2 waiters £5 each for the whole cruise. Yes it could have been a wind up but do not think if I was doing that I would want to admit it to anyone.

Even if they were considering against an amount they would leave as a tip on land, that amount is absurdly low for the waiters.

However for the cabin steward, I don't personally know anyone who leaves a tip for the person who cleans and makes up the room in a hotel, so that perhaps explains the £5 for them.

Even if they were considering against an amount they would leave as a tip on land, that amount is absurdly low for the waiters.

However for the cabin steward, I don't personally know anyone who leaves a tip for the person who cleans and makes up the room in a hotel, so that perhaps explains the £5 for them.

My mother did and I was not given a choice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If I stay in a hotel for the length of time I spend on a cruise and therefore get to know the Chambermaid (or whatever the modern term is) I would always tip.

If I stay in a hotel for the length of time I spend on a cruise and therefore get to know the Chambermaid (or whatever the modern term is) I would always tip.

Stayed in many hotels over the years and have never got to know the person that cleans my room. In a lot of cases have never even seen them and when I have more often than not its a different one each day.

Stayed in many hotels over the years and have never got to know the person that cleans my room. In a lot of cases have never even seen them and when I have more often than not its a different one each day.

Fair enough if it's a night somewhere like the Premier Inn but on longer stays in a good hotel we've usually had the same person every day and always like to chat and if necessary ask for / report something

Fair enough if it's a night somewhere like the Premier Inn but on longer stays in a good hotel we've usually had the same person every day and always like to chat and if necessary ask for / report something

On TripAdvisor some people compained about maid's banging on door or not cleaning properly in our Orlando hotel.

I left $2 with a thank you/gracias note.

Room was perfect every day and no early knocks on door,we never saw maid but happy with her service.

Love RCCL and P&O.

On TripAdvisor some people compained about maid's banging on door or not cleaning properly in our Orlando hotel.

Room was perfect every day and no early knocks on door,we never saw maid but happy with her service.

Love RCCL and P&O.

Left the note and tip every day.

Love RCCL and P&O.

So patronising and insulting. I have stayed in some of top hotels Waldorf Astoria(New York) and Banff Springs (Banff) and many more and in good top hotels you never even see the people that service your room never mind to chat or get to know them.

So it is length of stay that determines if a tip is due, not how well they do their job? That doesn't seem very logical.

Room was perfect every day and no early knocks on door,we never saw maid but happy with her service..

That sounds more like bribery than tipping!

Not good timing to start another thread within hours of the last one being pulled. A moderators nightmare. But there is no way I am going to stand by and let some of the posts on here go unchallenged.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How does the quote go "Just because you are offended, doesn't mean you are right"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So it is length of stay that determines if a tip is due, not how well they do their job? That doesn't seem very logical.

That sounds more like bribery than tipping!

She kept the room clean,plenty of towels and toiletries it was worth $12 for our 6 night stay.

We cruise with RCCL and P&O.