Why NOT to book Celebrity Shore Excursions

Lisah101

Booked at shore excursion on our cruise from Abu Dhabi that leaves in less than a week - got an email saying:

"Dear Guest, We’re looking forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Cruises. As you prepare for this exciting vacation, we need to let you know that your tour reservation for Day & Night Encounters: Athens - Ancient Greek Traditions and Folklore (PRC6) in Athens, Greece has been canceled due to an itinerary change. We’ve already updated your itinerary and refunded your original form(s) of payment in the full amount."

I went on my reservation and the excursion is still available but at a higher price.

Called as I am freaking out about the itinerary change. Was told the following:

1. Probably not a real change, just the reason they put in the email
  2. Could be a real change and we just haven't been notified yet
  3. Just because it shows up on the website doesn't mean its available (what the heck good is the website then)
  4. It's not our fault/problem, its the shore excursion company
  5. Advised to wait and book new excursion on board (notice many of the excursions can only be booked online, not onboard)

I replied it is their problem if they keep cancelling last minute as Celebrity chooses the shore excursion companies, not me.

Bottom line... last minute cancelling leaves me scrambling for new options immediately that both DH and I would enjoy.

NEVER AGAIN am I booking an excursion with the cruise line - unreliable, unresponsive and unempathetic. So disheartening to hear the responses that blame their subcontractors. They should have given us 20% off another excursion for cancelling so close to sailing. I was so angry I honestly hung up on the person before I said something I couldn't take back. I know it wasn't her personally that did this but her dismissive attitude and lack of empathy weren't helping as well as the defensive stance of making excuses and NEVER ONCE trying to problem solve.

I just needed to vent - thank you for your patience.

Not a biggie in my opinion. So sorry, I cannot be very sympathetic.

Why is everything about how to squeeze some extra money out of a cruise line.... You got your money refunded back. Perhaps you can re book the same excursion via private vendor?

Why is everything about how to squeeze some extra money out of a cruise line.... You got your money refunded back. Perhaps you can re book the same excursion via private vendor?

The issue was the late notice on a cruise that leaves from half way around the world to the biggest port/site on the entire trip.

Athens was on my bucket list thus the anxiety over so much planning thrown into turmoil at the last minute. We still aren't sure if we are even stopping there as they haven't answered the question about the itinerary change. Given this cruise departs from the middle east, am very nervous about last minute changes. It's a 16 1/2 hour flight to even get there!

I would share OP's outrage under the circumstances. First, the continued availability of the excursion on the website -- at a higher price -- makes this smell like Celebrity is just trying to force early bookers to give up their discount. That's probably not the case, but Celebrity is the one that created this impression by their lack of coordination. Now OP may find a private excursion that is cheaper anyway -- and Celebrity will have lost another customer for their shore excursions.

Well, I can empathize with the OP. They planned the cruise and wanted to take part in an activity that was offered well in advance, only to have it cancelled shortly before the cruise. They were given a series of excuses for the cancellation, and told to wait to book onboard. For many of us some of the ports we visit are once in a lifetime events, bucket list items we many never have the opportunity to do again.The sites may not be available when they get onboard, and they have to waste time scheduling something at the last minute instead of being able to relax and enjoy their vacation.

Really, the OP was venting a legitimate Customer Service problem.

Sorry this happened to the OP; hopefully will turn out to be a blessing in disguise. In my experience, in the vast majority of ports (with a little research) one can find better quality private excursions - often at a less expensive price-point to boot. Here on Cruise Critic the Port of Call boards and the Roll Call boards are generally good places to start one's research; websites such as Trip Advisor are often useful as well. Here's to hoping the OP finds something even better than the original plan.

I don't know what your shore excursion was but Athens is very easy to DIY so don't stress about not having an excursion booked. Good HoHo in port, little white train and if willing to do public transport you can be at the Parthenon and leaving before the excursions are getting there! Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't know what your shore excursion was but Athens is very easy to DIY so don't stress about not having an excursion booked. Good HoHo in port, little white train and if willing to do public transport you can be at the Parthenon and leaving before the excursions are getting there! Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Or lots of good independent tour operators. That's why I'd never book through Celebrity. In 2014 we got to the Parthenon long before the official excursions did.

Stuart

Well, I can empathize with the OP. They planned the cruise and wanted to take part in an activity that was offered well in advance, only to have it cancelled shortly before the cruise. They were given a series of excuses for the cancellation, and told to wait to book onboard. For many of us some of the ports we visit are once in a lifetime events, bucket list items we many never have the opportunity to do again.The sites may not be available when they get onboard, and they have to waste time scheduling something at the last minute instead of being able to relax and enjoy their vacation.

Really, the OP was venting a legitimate Customer Service problem.

Agree. We felt the same frustration on our TP cruise...we had booked and paid for a couple of trips that were cancelled or modified after we had left the UK but before joining our cruise. The frustration was threefold...

-we thought we had a fully organised schedule and were now making last minute changes.

-things we were now looking at changing to now had some time slots fully booked. Snorkelling at midday for U.K. Citizens unused to hot sun really isn't a preferred choice....

-the 'never mind, these things happen...' attitude of some of the shore excursions desk once we had boarded really did not help. As if we were ever likely to visit Tahiti or Bora-Bora again....

Our cruise in every other way was perfect. Our replacement trips were OK apart from Tahiti (which they refunded....but could not understand a refund didn't make it right, we were unlikely to ever visit Tahiti again).

I think many people book X trips for 'security' unfortunately that security doesn't seem to mean the trips you have booked will happen.

We are very loyal X cruisers and frequently book their tours for both convenience and using OBC. We do understand that X is in the business of profit making, that they are subject to third parties making changes and 'changes to schedules'....but what Celebrity must take on board is that at times they are changing 'dreams'...

We booked a shore excursion a couple of weeks ago during the 72-hour "20% off enhancements" sale. 3 days later I received an email that the shore excursion was cancelled due to not meeting the minimum number required. Next I went into my cruise planner and the same excursion was still listed for sale, however when I went through the steps to actually book it, you couldn't. So I knew in fact it was cancelled despite its still being listed.

Since it was now past the 72-hour sale window, I called the Captain's Club and wanted to book a substitute excursion and asked if they would sell it to me at 20% off due to the circumstances. They transferred me to the Resolutions Department who cheerfully booked our alternate excursion at the requested 20% discount.

So if there's an alternate excursion that looks good, I suggest calling back once more and see if you can orchestrate anything.

I almost always book private tours; the only one that I didn't and used Celebrity was to Taormina, Italy, as it was just taking the bus and dropping us off and picking us up. I do not enjoy large groups and appreciate 2-6 people bookings. Also, they are less expensive in most cases, unless we just do the two of us like we did in Russia because there were so many places we wanted to see in the amount of time. 20% off is not always 20% off either.

I am sorry that you have been treated this way; however, that might be another reason to go private. That doesn't mean that everything will be perfect either, but you won''t get caught up in the web site issues of Celebrity and all the people who don't know anything...positive thoughts that things will work another way! Unfortunately, we all live in a world that seems to get more complicated all the time.

Edited by Lastdance

Booked at shore excursion on our cruise from Abu Dhabi that leaves in less than a week - got an email saying:

"Dear Guest, We’re looking forward to welcoming you aboard Celebrity Cruises. As you prepare for this exciting vacation, we need to let you know that your tour reservation for Day & Night Encounters: Athens - Ancient Greek Traditions and Folklore (PRC6) in Athens, Greece has been canceled due to an itinerary change. We’ve already updated your itinerary and refunded your original form(s) of payment in the full amount."

I went on my reservation and the excursion is still available but at a higher price.

Called as I am freaking out about the itinerary change. Was told the following:

1. Probably not a real change, just the reason they put in the email
  2. Could be a real change and we just haven't been notified yet
  3. Just because it shows up on the website doesn't mean its available (what the heck good is the website then)
  4. It's not our fault/problem, its the shore excursion company
  5. Advised to wait and book new excursion on board (notice many of the excursions can only be booked online, not onboard)

I replied it is their problem if they keep cancelling last minute as Celebrity chooses the shore excursion companies, not me.

Bottom line... last minute cancelling leaves me scrambling for new options immediately that both DH and I would enjoy.

NEVER AGAIN am I booking an excursion with the cruise line - unreliable, unresponsive and unempathetic. So disheartening to hear the responses that blame their subcontractors. They should have given us 20% off another excursion for cancelling so close to sailing. I was so angry I honestly hung up on the person before I said something I couldn't take back. I know it wasn't her personally that did this but her dismissive attitude and lack of empathy weren't helping as well as the defensive stance of making excuses and NEVER ONCE trying to problem solve.

I just needed to vent - thank you for your patience.

In the event that you can't find a replacement tour, you can always take the Hop On Hop Off (HOHO) bus from the port of Athens. It stops at all of the important sites. Make sure you leave at least an hour for the Parthenon, as it is quite a climb to the top. Lots of other great stops.

My wife and I were on the 2016 Equinox TA with you and I believe you were on the small bus for the Lanzarote tour.

Thanks for posting. After having an issue with a Princess tour...about 30 years ago...DW and I swore off cruise ship excursions...unless they do something we cannot absolutely do on our own. On subsequent cruises (over 1000 days cruising and hundreds of ports) we have probably booked 1 or 2 cruise line excursions. Besides the type issue expressed by the OP there are other issues. Cruise line excursions are generally very over priced. And being crammed into a bus with a group of 50+ cruisers is not our idea of fun..or the way to see most places.

We should also note that the OP's excursion is in Athens, Greece. This is actually a pretty easy port to do on your own using local buses, the Green Line train, taxis, your legs, etc. If you are in Athens overnight there are quite a few restaurants that have some type of folklore show. In fact, there are some good restaurants within a mile of the port (near the Marina) close to the Moschato area (seldom visited by cruisers).

Hank

A recent posting on our Aug 13 Eclipse Baltic cruise roll call says that Celebrity has cancelled a 2 day St Petersburg tour because one venue will be closed on one of the 2 days. This sounded very strange to us.

A recent posting on our Aug 13 Eclipse Baltic cruise roll call says that Celebrity has cancelled a 2 day St Petersburg tour because one venue will be closed on one of the 2 days. This sounded very strange to us.

In 2016, our Southern Caribbean cruise aboard the Eclipse saw us in Barbados on the Easter weekend, arriving early on Easter Sunday and departing in the late afternoon of Easter Monday. Celebrity offered a full slate of shore excursions for both days, but I checked directly with the operators and quickly discovered that the majority were closed on Sunday. Celebrity continued taking bookings for a long period before finally cancelling the excursions, and I would recommend that any excursion offered on a major holiday be verified with the supplier.

Re the cost of the excursion now being higher, the cost of some excursions on our cruise appear to have gone up between booking and final payment, (about £5 on a £50 excursion) . We browsed the excursions earlier, but didn't book till after the final payment

We are in the UK and I put it down to the exchange rate against the dollar which has fallen a lot recently.