Princess changed my cabin

chloe45

I checked my booking today and Princess moved us from E720 to D526 without any notice at all on our upcoming Dec cruise on the Crown. When I made the reservation I told my TA to mark it as mega upgrade only. We usually travel in a mini and on occasion a suite. I chose the Emerald deck because of the covered balcony. I'm not happy. My TA says he can get my cabin back. Won't know for 72 hours because of inventory control. He said he marked it as mega but it's computerized. Says he has now marked it manually as upgrade to suite only.

We will see...

Not mega but meta.

IMO........I would say your TA dropped the ball and never marked the booking properly.

Yup. It's a META upgrade, not mega. And I agree that your TA probably dropped the ball. Princess can move anyone to another cabin at any time although it's unusual if the booking is marked "No upgrade" or "meta upgrade only." It doesn't take 72 hours to get this resolved. A call to Princess in the AM should do it. All it should take is one phone call ASAP.

Can someone explain Meta Upgrade to me? When I was booking a future cruise on the ship, I was told that choosing automatic upgrades could land us anywhere on the ship and we may not even know until we board. Because of that, we excluded the automatic upgrade.

They can actually move you anywhere on the ship whether you mark meta or not. And they are not obligated to tell you, either.

I understand the policy but what is the incentive to book early (18 month) for the specific purpose of choosing a cabin? I usually book late and take a guarantee but this time I wanted to try one of the covered minis. The only way to do that is to book early because there are only 12 of these cabins and they usually go fast. When I looked last night there were a couple of these cabins left. I can't think of any reason why they would move me!

Doesn't make sense. What is so special about E720?

For those of you who say my TA dropped the ball I suspect you are right. For now I'll wait and see. I am prepared to take drastic action if I don't get my cabin back.

I understand the policy but what is the incentive to book early (18 month) for the specific purpose of choosing a cabin? I usually book late and take a guarantee but this time I wanted to try one of the covered minis. The only way to do that is to book early because there are only 12 of these cabins and they usually go fast. When I looked last night there were a couple of these cabins left. I can't think of any reason why they would move me!

Doesn't make sense. What is so special about E720?

For those of you who say my TA dropped the ball I suspect you are right. For now I'll wait and see. I am prepared to take drastic action if I don't get my cabin back.

It should be done this AM. There is no reason for a delay. Especially if there are still mini's left on Emerald deck.

[quote=chloe45;5284739. When I looked last night there were a couple of these cabins left. I can't think of any reason why they would move me!

I'm glad you got your cabin back. They sometimes move you because someone wants your cabin in order to be next (or close to) travelling companions, an elevator, stairs, and, probably in your case, maybe, the covered balcony. On Celebrity, someone got moved because Kate Jackson booked a suite and demanded that the suites next to her be left vacant. They told the people that the cabin they had booked had had a fire and it was necessary to move them. Of course, they checked when they got on the ship to find that dog didn't hunt and got the real story.

I know we got an upgrade once because we had connecting cabins down in steerage (moved up to an ocean view) with in-laws and, I think, someone called at the last minute and said if they couldn't have connecting cabins, then they would not book.

I have booked a Window Suite on my first ocean cruise. Have only done River Cruises before. I booked the Window Suite because it cost a lot less than full suites but still got the same perks and I liked the location. In theory, if they moved me, it could only be to a full suite I hope. I spent a a lot of time choosing the cabin I wanted, and would not really want an upgrade.

I am using this cruise to see if I like ocean cruising and do not get seasick, before I book a more expensive Viking Ocean cruise. The smaller ship and modern design, with excursions and wine included with meals is more appealing than the large ships.

I always pick my own cabin and never had Princess change it. I was told recently by Princess if I choose my own room I am not eligible for any upgrades.

You are eligible for upgrades as long as you don't mark your cabin no upgrade. Even then you might get an upgrade. I had an aft, corner balcony on the Sapphire and received a call from a Princess Cruise Planner asking if I would take a free upgrade to a mini suite as a single lady wanted my aft balcony. I took the upgrade. It was great.

I always pick my own cabin and never had Princess change it. I was told recently by Princess if I choose my own room I am not eligible for any upgrades.

Depends on who you talk to, I guess. I was once told by Princess that she was a commodore or something like that and she knew all things Princess. She told me that they no longer do meta upgrades. I called back and got the meta upgrade option added to my reservation. Although you are not likely to get an upgrade when picking your own room, I don't think you are ineligible. You would be more likely to get an upsell ... but even with that, it is rare.

Not true. :( ALL bookings are automatically marked "will accept an upgrade" by default unless the booking is deliberately changed to "No upgrade." Even then, the Passage Contract allows Princess to change passengers' cabins without notice, even those marked "no upgrade." Buyer beware.

Exactly. To put it in the most clear terms, any tags on a booking are for all intents and purposes a request, not an instruction. In English terms "if you must do upgrades please put me on the bottom of that list" not "I refuse to be on that list" You may wish to refuse but not a real option.

In general, Princess will try to accommodate requests and will 95 percent of the time if not more. But as an example, if they need a certain class of cabin freed up for yield management or other issues and all cabins eligible for switch are marked no upgrade? Someone is getting an upgrade. If they complain and get their cabin back, someone else marked same is getting one.

I am oversimplifying of course, but that's pretty much how it works.

The yield management system rules alll.

Not true. :( ALL bookings are automatically marked "will accept an upgrade" by default unless the booking is deliberately changed to "No upgrade." Even then, the Passage Contract allows Princess to change passengers' cabins without notice, even those marked "no upgrade." Buyer beware.

You're not even safe in a Handicapped Accessible Stateroom! I was in F315, the Handicapped Accessible Window Suite on the Golden Princess, and was transferred to F311 without my knowledge. Found it when I checked my Cruise Personalizer online, and the poor TA had a very upset and indignant client to deal with. I knew she'd specifically phoned Princess when I made the original booking cancelled by Princess for operational reasons and I rebooked on this cruise. She managed to get the original Window Suite back and asked that it be noted, "Handicapped passenger, no moving." I wasn't, but it was a tense time until I boarded and actually was IN the Suite! We'd been told that if someone totally dependent on a wheelchair wanted a Suite on my cruise, I'd be re-assigned-ie downgraded-as I was in the only Handicapped Accessible Suite. An Oceanview might have been possible, there are Handicapped Accessible Oceanviews but I wouldn't have liked an Obstructed view, some are quite obstructed and I was warned to have a clear view out the window to try and control any seasickness and take medication.

Two notes here - first it sounds like the original booking wasn't marked as Handicapped passenger (which is different than a no upgrade request). See below.

Second, without knowing the nature of your disability, passengers who are unable to cruise at all without the facilities available in an HA cabin (generally those who are totally wheelchair bound as opposed to wheelchair assist) are given priority over those for whom a regular cabin could be adapted for. These are the persons flagged as above.

You're not even safe in a Handicapped Accessible Stateroom! I was in F315, the Handicapped Accessible Window Suite on the Golden Princess, and was transferred to F311 without my knowledge. Found it when I checked my Cruise Personalizer online, and the poor TA had a very upset and indignant client to deal with. I knew she'd specifically phoned Princess when I made the original booking cancelled by Princess for operational reasons and I rebooked on this cruise. She managed to get the original Window Suite back and asked that it be noted, "Handicapped passenger, no moving." I wasn't, but it was a tense time until I boarded and actually was IN the Suite! We'd been told that if someone totally dependent on a wheelchair wanted a Suite on my cruise, I'd be re-assigned-ie downgraded-as I was in the only Handicapped Accessible Suite. An Oceanview might have been possible, there are Handicapped Accessible Oceanviews but I wouldn't have liked an Obstructed view, some are quite obstructed and I was warned to have a clear view out the window to try and control any seasickness and take medication.

I always choose my own cabin. We are booked on the Ruby Princes to Alaska on June 10. Several of us are going. I picked my cabin and said no upgrade as my sister is next to us and our friends are next to her.

Wouldn't you know, this would be the cruise when the Upgrade Fairy decided to offer us an upgrade to a mini suite. I turned it down. So just because you choose your own cabin does not mean you aren't eligible for upgrades.