Any loyal Carnival cruisers tried NCL?

thegoodlife247

I disagree. I have really enjoyed some of my specialty dining experiences and in most cases, I think they are a far better option than the MDR.

I agree, upscale dining is a significant step up (on all lines - and Carnival Steakhouses lead the way).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I disagree. I have really enjoyed some of my specialty dining experiences and in most cases, I think they are a far better option than the MDR.

I have my first NCL cruise coming up, I'm curious to try their specialty dining options (included with fare). Maybe it'll change my mind :)

20.00 for lunch at Sabor and 7.00 for lunch at Johnny Rockets. You just paid 27.00 extra for two lunches. I'll pay 35.00 for any Carnival steakhouse and eat at Guy's Burgers for free. I paid 8.00 more and got more bang for my buck, IMHO.

Funny you point that out. A lot of people are unhappy about the price jack with Sabor just recently. I wouldn't pay $20 for Sabor. Last year it was only a few bucks.

I agree, upscale dining is a significant step up (on all lines - and Carnival Steakhouses lead the way).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Will compare in May when we are on Vista. Cagney's on NCL was very good.

Hopefully Fahrenheit is equally as good.

I don't disagree that it's a pretty good deal for someone who drinks. $100 to drink for a week for someone who is a drinker I would consider to be exceptional. BUT, to label it as "Free" which many people here and at NCL try to claim (the deception part) is an outright lie. If one MUST pay for something to get it, no matter how little, it's not "Free" and to me, the $100 is still more than my bar bill would be at the end of a cruise.

Maybe you'll understand this logic. If you get a "free" cruise, you still need to pay the taxes and gratuities. Just like when you get a free meal that I previously posted, you need to pay the gratuity. The drinks package as a perk is free, you're just paying the tip on it.

Just because you only drink 2 beers over the course of a seven day cruise, don't belittle those that enjoy imbibing while on vacation.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Will compare in May when we are on Vista. Cagney's on NCL was very good.

Hopefully Fahrenheit is equally as good.

Have dined in Cagney's on the Escape on two different cruises as well as the Carnival steakhouse on various ships. Carnival eliminated their porterhouse a few years ago, while NCL eliminated their larger porterhouse, King Cut Prime Rib and Tomahawk Chop steak recently. At least you can still get a decent lobster tail on Carnival and in general, Cagney's is a step below, IMHO with both the service and quality of food.

This thread has gotten pretty long and I haven't read the whole thing but based on what I saw, I agree with most of what I have read here. I have sailed NCL three times (Carnival like 15 or so) and it does have its positives and negatives. In terms of cabins, they are smaller but the balconies are nicer as the one I had featured a sliding door that you could leave open as opposed to the doors that you cannot keep open on Carnival. Amenities are similar and room stewards are not that much different.

The check in process is similar, again not much difference even though I get priority boarding due to platinum status on Carnival. I am guessing cruise lines are not that different in this area. In terms of making you feel welcome, lately the boarding process on Carnival has been completely disorganized and it is noticeable and although I had a nightmare embarkation day on the Sky a few years ago in Miami, perhaps it is a little smoother on NCL.

Entertainment is better on Carnival by a mile. I like comedians and NCL only has one or two nights of it on an average sailing and it isn't all that funny. Carnival's comedy clubs are generally good although some of the comedians just plain suck in general but most of the time it is really enjoyable. They do a good job with that (and thankfully they have ditched the marketing agreement they had with GL for the Punchliner) and the stage shows are decent even though they are pretty low-budget and low-tech I guess. I am not a huge critic of theater but if there is nothing else to do, I will drop in on one of the shows. Always activity going on somewhere during the day on the ship as well, NCL has times where there is nothing to do. Clubs are better on Carnival I think and deck parties are better as well. If you just want to hang out and relax, NCL is good but if you want to do more, Carnival is for you. It is totally subjective though, different people are into different things. One is not necessarily worse or better than the other, it depends on what you are interested in.

Food and beverage is even and I only say that because Carnival's main dining room is better. That and free lido things such as pizza, Guy's burgers, Mongolian Wok is better than NCL. I still like assigned dining times, NCL does not offer this at all. However, their pay restaurants are superior to Carnival with maybe the exception of La Cucina and maybe the steakhouse. Nothing beats the teppanyaki grill on a cruise ship for a la carte dining. Their Ginza noodle bar is better too. O'Sheehan's, which is mostly free, beats a lot of mdr stuff on Carnival. They have great wings and on some nights, things such as prime rib that blow the crap that they call prime rib on Carnival away. The buffets on NCL are better by a mile also. But no free pizza 24/7 and most stuff outside of the buffet and mdr are things you have to pay more for. Drink service is better on NCL although they only carry Pepsi which I am not a huge fan of but it is still passable. The unlimited drinks actually means unlimited drinks and with the promotions they have, can be free (or $100 total with autotip added in when you get it lol) whereas Carnival caps you at 15 a day. I miss the Carnival signature service in eating establishments and throughout the ship when cruising NCL but there are some things on there that you cannot get from Carnival and stuff like wcmc and pizza pirate on Carnival that you cannot ever get on Norwegian.

The ships are not that much different honestly. NCL has pools and hot tubs as does Carnival and they really are not that different from each other in quality. Some NCL ships have features such as the bridge viewing room and that is neat on the ships that have it, nothing similar on Carnival. Also, interactive displays throughout the ship on NCL can give you real-time updates on ship activities and things like dining wait times. The decor is what it is, that does not make or break a cruise for me and I surely wouldn't not book a cruise because of the interior decorations. Each line visits ports that do not always overlap so if you want to see a specific island or port that only one line or the other goes to, that could be a factor in booking. Each line offers routes that are attractive to me so that is even.

Prices, Carnival seems to be the most expensive line these days. How did that happen? LOL. Hard to find deals on them anywhere anymore, except maybe in low season in fall and January. I used to be able to sail for $150 a person all included for 4 days with special deals I get, haven't seen anything that good lately. I guess people want to cruise Carnival these days. They seem to be aiming more for the new cruisers nowadays anyway as they probably spend more money than those of us who cruise a lot and I guess they are making that money. NCL still offers really good deals and things like free ultimate dining package, free internet, free excursion credit, free drinks, etc, Carnival only really gives you obc if they screw something up and have to compensate you or you do a future cruise certificate. Really good deals can easily be found on them these days.

So, overall, both lines are good and I enjoy sailing on both. They offer different products, you just have to decide which one you really want to sail on and what you want from a cruise. I will go back and forth between the two (and lately, Royal Caribbean as well), sometimes based on itinerary or port of embarkation or ship, or even who I am sailing with. Family cruises have different expectations than if I am cruising with some friends for a long weekend drinking party, lol. Both offer competitive products and both are generally a pleasure to sail on. I have pretty much split my loyalty among numerous lines in recent years as I just feel staying exclusive to one line shuts me out from new things and experiences that sailing other lines can bring. I still like Carnival but it is not my only go-to option anymore.

Of course this is just my 2 cents but hopefully it helps with the conversation.

Maybe you'll understand this logic. If you get a "free" cruise, you still need to pay the taxes and gratuities. Just like when you get a free meal that I previously posted, you need to pay the gratuity. The drinks package as a perk is free, you're just paying the tip on it.

Just because you only drink 2 beers over the course of a seven day cruise, don't belittle those that enjoy imbibing while on vacation.

I understand what you are trying to put forth as logic. What I have been saying that you're not understanding what you are proposing is flawed logic. If you are required to pay something, whether it be taxes, tips, or whatever, it's not free. It doesn't get any more simple than that. If you wish to believe the marketing hype that NCL and other companies want you to believe, that's fine, it's good for their bottom line, just don't try to lead others down the wrong path.

I understand what you are trying to put forth as logic. What I have been saying that you're not understanding what you are proposing is flawed logic. If you are required to pay something, whether it be taxes, tips, or whatever, it's not free. It doesn't get any more simple than that. If you wish to believe the marketing hype that NCL and other companies want you to believe, that's fine, it's good for their bottom line, just don't try to lead others down the wrong path.
We will just have to agree to disagree because I don't think the logic is flawed at all because NCL is giving the drinks package and the dining package for free. In order to get this for free, you need to pay the gratuity, just like you pay the gratuity to your cabin steward if you get a free cabin through any sort of promotion. I'm not leading anybody down the wrong path, it seems it's just a matter of semantics concerning how you view this promotion and how I view this promotion.

I have sailed NCL three times (Carnival like 15 or so)

Entertainment is better on Carnival by a mile. I like comedians and NCL only has one or two nights of it on an average sailing and it isn't all that funny.

The ships are not that much different honestly.

Like you, I have sailed primarily on Carnival (18/29) and in September I'll be on NCL for the third time. But, all 3 have been on the Escape and since your three NCL cruises have all been on smaller, older ships....your comparison factor regarding NCL and Carnival is a bit skewed. The ships are that much different, with the Escape being over 25% bigger than the Breeze (164.6 tons versus 130 tons.) There is comedy on four nights on the Escape and pseudo broadway shows are better than playlist productions and hasbro the game show. Finally, Howl at the Moon, with dueling pianos and drums, trumps the Carnival piano bar. Carnival though does have better lunch time dining options and the Alchemy Bar is the best at sea.

I don't disagree that it's a pretty good deal for someone who drinks. $100 to drink for a week for someone who is a drinker I would consider to be exceptional. BUT, to label it as "Free" which many people here and at NCL try to claim (the deception part) is an outright lie. If one MUST pay for something to get it, no matter how little, it's not "Free" and to me, the $100 is still more than my bar bill would be at the end of a cruise.

Of course it's not free, you are paying grat. which any experienced cruiser should expect to pay. Basically, I am prepaying my servers and bartenders just like I do when I prepay my service charge when I cruise. I realize it is all in how you look at it.

Pat

Of course it's not free, you are paying grat. which any experienced cruiser should expect to pay. Basically, I am prepaying my servers and bartenders just like I do when I prepay my service charge when I cruise. I realize it is all in how you look at it.

Pat

Yes, Pat, it's all in how you look at it. If you honestly believe that the extra money (approx $100 per person) you pay as a "service charge" goes to the servers and that helps you sleep better at night, then you are quite naive. You honestly believe that NCL gives you all you want to drink for a whole week and doesn't get paid for it? I personally spoke with a bartender on the NCL Sun last month about this. He'd been with NCL for over 10 years and says he now makes about 40% of what he used to in tips before the advent of the Free at Sea concept. That extra you paid is NOT labeled as a gratuity... it's a service charge and is NCL's to do with as they please.

I'm finished with Carnival and NCL is one of the lines I continue to sail but at least I do so with my eyes wide open.

~Brian

Yes, Pat, it's all in how you look at it. If you honestly believe that the extra money (approx $100 per person) you pay as a "service charge" goes to the servers and that helps you sleep better at night, then you are quite naive. You honestly believe that NCL gives you all you want to drink for a whole week and doesn't get paid for it? I personally spoke with a bartender on the NCL Sun last month about this. He'd been with NCL for over 10 years and says he now makes about 40% of what he used to in tips before the advent of the Free at Sea concept. That extra you paid is NOT labeled as a gratuity... it's a service charge and is NCL's to do with as they please.

I'm finished with Carnival and NCL is one of the lines I continue to sail but at least I do so with my eyes wide open.

~Brian

There is no such thing as a free lunch.....regardless of which cruise line you sail on.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That extra you paid is NOT labeled as a gratuity... it's a service charge and is NCL's to do with as they please.

That was true up until recently. They changed it and now, the fine print says:

"Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package ($14.22 USD per person per day) and/or Soda Package ($1.35 USD per person per day) prior to cruise."

I am contemplating trying the NCL getaway next spring break. I love Carnival and would definitely book again for our next vacation but there isn't an itinerary on a ship with the amenities our 12 year old adventure loving, thrill seeking DD would enjoy.

So, has anyone tried NCL or sailed the Getaway specifically? What are your thoughts on freestyle cruising? It seems like a little work to plan and reserve everything. But I may like the freedom too. What about food? We will not book any specialty dining. We will book an inside cabin for 3, which i know is smaller than Carnival so that concerns me a little. We will take the bar package offered on NCL as our "perk" The price for 3 of us with the alcohol package "perk" is only $150 more than we paid this spring break for just 2 adults when adding on Carnival's cheers package, which we did purchase.

Any thoughts, advice or suggestions is welcome.

LOVED the Getaway! Food was fantastic! Sailed on her last February. We have been on 4 previous Carnival cruises, Victory,Conquest, Magic and Breeze, all of which were great. Decided to try a different cruise line for this last one and was so afraid to change since we were not sure about something different, but we were glad we did because it was a great experience! We had an aft balcony and it was very nice and we loved it. Service was great everywhere. The specialty dining was awesome!

That was true up until recently. They changed it and now, the fine print says:

"Guest is responsible for 18% gratuities on the retail value of the Ultimate Beverage Package ($14.22 USD per person per day) and/or Soda Package ($1.35 USD per person per day) prior to cruise."

I have read a couple of reports where bartenders are reported as saying that they now receive a flat rate and do not receive extra money because of the increase and of course that may or may not be true. NCL did raise the gratuity to 18% after the "Free" at Sea promotions started, they increased the cost of the UBP and they increased the cost of their individual drinks. All of which is to say that different people are going to interpret all of that information differently.

We saed the Getaway last January and loved it. Can't really compare to other lines since I've only sailed Disney and NCL. Our Grandson loved the kids clubs and we really enjoyed Waterfront area on deck 8. The outside dining option is fantastic and having an outside seating area that allows you to escape the crowds of the upper decks was great.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

~Brian

I beleve this may be true, FYI we always carry cash on us to tip extra at bar, we have been in the service industry for years. If you were reading this thread, my responses were to the poster who felt NCL was being deceptive when they advertised free drink package but there is an added service charge. Every time I sit down to have a drink at a bar on Carnival, there is an added service charge. Same thing, and we always tip extra on that service charge.

Pat

I beleve this may be true, FYI we always carry cash on us to tip extra at bar, we have been in the service industry for years. If you were reading this thread, my responses were to the poster who felt NCL was being deceptive when they advertised free drink package but there is an added service charge. Every time I sit down to have a drink at a bar on Carnival, there is an added service charge. Same thing, and we always tip extra on that service charge.

Pat

Carnival doesn't add 15% if you sit at a bar "unless" you didn't purchase the Cheers package.

The 15% is paid as part of Cheers.

I've been around the service industry also ( until I retired) so I do appreciate what the bar staff does.

I firmly believe in tipping extra when cruising and on land.

Carnival doesn't add 15% if you sit at a bar "unless" you didn't purchase the Cheers package.

The 15% is paid as part of Cheers.

I've been around the service industry also ( until I retired) so I do appreciate what the bar staff does.

I firmly believe in tipping extra when cruising and on land.

Big difference here! We are talking about difference between NCL's ultimate drink package which they are offering as a perk which you pay the Grat. upfront. Example, 13 day cruise for 2 of us on NCL with drink package as perk, $428 which is the service charge. 13 day cruise on Carnival with cheers package at $55 a day per person, $1430!! You are right, they don't add Grat. at bar if you have paid for cheer package, you paid enough already!! I am a huge Carnival fan, 27 cruises with them, this thread pertains to loyal Carnival cruisers trying NCL which we are in April 2018 for a TA, the topic turned to drink package that NCL offers as a free perk and the arguement that the perk isn't free because they add service charge upfront.I was simply pointing out that the NCL perk was in essence free.

Pat

Big difference here! We are talking about difference between NCL's ultimate drink package which they are offering as a perk which you pay the Grat. upfront. Example, 13 day cruise for 2 of us on NCL with drink package as perk, $428 which is the service charge. 13 day cruise on Carnival with cheers package at $55 a day per person, $1430!! You are right, they don't add Grat. at bar if you have paid for cheer package, you paid enough already!! I am a huge Carnival fan, 27 cruises with them, this thread pertains to loyal Carnival cruisers trying NCL which we are in April 2018 for a TA, the topic turned to drink package that NCL offers as a free perk and the arguement that the perk isn't free because they add service charge upfront.I was simply pointing out that the NCL perk was in essence free.

Pat

I agree wholeheartedly that NCL is essentially free. There is only a handful that want to disagree because you pay about $100.00 in gratuities.

I would love to drink for 100.00 gratuity for a week on Carnival. Our Cheers package in May for an 8 day is going to cost 900.00. Which in essence is what it costs more on Carnival than it would on NCL for the same length cruise.

I have read a couple of reports where bartenders are reported as saying that they now receive a flat rate and do not receive extra money because of the increase and of course that may or may not be true.

You know how it is with info flow from crew. We could ask the same question of 3 bartenders and get 3 different answers. I stopped worrying about who gets paid what a long time ago because when it comes to these pre-paid "gratuities," no one really knows outside of the cruise line how it is dispersed.