Policy change for booking on board

i just got this from my agent --

I wanted to let you know though that Royal Caribbean told me starting May 21, 2017 they will start imposing a $100 per person change fee if you change bookings made onboard.

So I suggest us looking for something that you know you would want to take before May 21st.

Not happy, looks like no more on board booking for us.

i just got this from my agent --

I wanted to let you know though that Royal Caribbean told me starting May 21, 2017 they will start imposing a $100 per person change fee if you change bookings made onboard.

So I suggest us looking for something that you know you would want to take before May 21st.

Not happy, looks like no more on board booking for us.

I was told this was for SUITES - GS or higher. It is to STOP the Suite Hogs from booking 18 cruises as soon as the itineraries are out and then cancelling them just before final payment.

I was told this was for SUITES - GS or higher. It is to STOP the Suite Hogs from booking 18 cruises as soon as the itineraries are out and then cancelling them just before final payment.

That was my understanding also.

I have not heard this yet, will check into it, but I can tell you that they are now enforcing the non-combinability of the OBC from on board bookings and group rates.

While I was just told that this was always the policy, but they allowed combinability before, they are now being told that you either keep the OBC from an on board booking or you can have a lower group rate, but not both.

Told the rep that I felt that was completely counter-intuitive to their constant push to use a TA for bookings, and makes it difficult for me to offer something special to my clients to entice them to move their booking to me or even make something on board that is automatically assigned to me, since I would then reprice at the group rate.

I even got caught in it. Was sailing on Allure in mid-April and booked for Christmas. $150 OBC for each cabin. Was going to move into a group we have once I got back, but can't because I'll lose the OBC. Kind of sucks for us as agents.

Didn't the suite policy start in mid March? Maybe this is another one (hope not)

If it is a new policy, then they will be able to greatly reduce the number of crewmembers on board who are working the Next Cruise desks.

It will be just like a few years ago when they stopped allowing the balcony discount with Next Cruise OBC. That was short lived. The upside was that the LA had lots of time to chat.

If it is a new policy, then they will be able to greatly reduce the number of crewmembers on board who are working the Next Cruise desks.

It will be just like a few years ago when they stopped allowing the balcony discount with Next Cruise OBC. That was short lived. The upside was that the LA had lots of time to chat.

Guess I will have to check it out on the MJ this weekend:) If you book an OV and only pay a $50 deposit not sure how they will get $100 if you cancel it

I have not heard this yet, will check into it, but I can tell you that they are now enforcing the non-combinability of the OBC from on board bookings and group rates.

While I was just told that this was always the policy, but they allowed combinability before, they are now being told that you either keep the OBC from an on board booking or you can have a lower group rate, but not both.

Told the rep that I felt that was completely counter-intuitive to their constant push to use a TA for bookings, and makes it difficult for me to offer something special to my clients to entice them to move their booking to me or even make something on board that is automatically assigned to me, since I would then reprice at the group rate.

I even got caught in it. Was sailing on Allure in mid-April and booked for Christmas. $150 OBC for each cabin. Was going to move into a group we have once I got back, but can't because I'll lose the OBC. Kind of sucks for us as agents.

That was exactly what another TA informed me when I called them about making a booking on board and then transferring it to them for their lower group pricing. Choices given were:

A- Keep the booking made on board @ reduced deposit of $200, keep the cruiseline's OBC ($200 for 12 N), the price of the booking AND get the TA's OBC/perk.

B- Book directly under the group rate the TA was offering, pay the $900 deposit (for 12 N cruise), get the TA's OBC/Perk., No cruiseline OBC.

It is for Suites only. They want to stop all the people that book suites to hold them and then either cancel or rebook, taking them away from people that really want the suites and intend to use them. I actually agree with this policy. It will stop people from booking suites to "hold" them and then canceling them before final payment, thus causing someone that wanted the suites to pay a higher price or having moved to another ship/sail date to get what they wanted.

That was exactly what another TA informed me when I called them about making a booking on board and then transferring it to them for their lower group pricing. Choices given were:

A- Keep the booking made on board @ reduced deposit of $200, keep the cruiseline's OBC ($200 for 12 N), the price of the booking AND get the TA's OBC/perk.

B- Book directly under the group rate the TA was offering, pay the $900 deposit (for 12 N cruise), get the TA's OBC/Perk., No cruiseline OBC.

Looks clear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is for Suites only. They want to stop all the people that book suites to hold them and then either cancel or rebook, taking them away from people that really want the suites and intend to use them. I actually agree with this policy. It will stop people from booking suites to "hold" them and then canceling them before final payment, thus causing someone that wanted the suites to pay a higher price or having moved to another ship/sail date to get what they wanted.

I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I called C and A this morning to ask about this and the rep told me he did not know anything about that but that they are going to start some kind of non-refundable policy where if you select it your cruise price is cheaper but any change to ship and/or sail date is going to cost $100.

Maybe that is what your TA was referencing (OP) He did not have any other info

OP here

Thank you all for your info. I have contacted my TA to get more clarity on the subject.

Molly361, this kind of sounds like what my agent was talking about.

I'll post again when I find out more.

Chesterbid

Molly361 - the rep you spoke with should have stopped at "he did not know anything". All of this has to do with suites booked through NextCruise. Those of us who don't aspire to those lofty heights are not affected.

The link in Response #6 in this thread explains it all very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I called C and A this morning to ask about this and the rep told me he did not know anything about that but that they are going to start some kind of non-refundable policy where if you select it your cruise price is cheaper but any change to ship and/or sail date is going to cost $100.

Maybe that is what your TA was referencing (OP) He did not have any other info

I think I'll be booking closer and closer to sail date. I'm not overly fussy about cabin type.

Why would they want to book so many cruises?

What do they do about cruise insurance?

Why would they want to book so many cruises?

What do they do about cruise insurance?

They want to have lots of options, and can get cruise insurance at final payment time.

They want to have lots of options, and can get cruise insurance at final payment time.

Most cruise insurance companies require payment w/in 15 days to for pre-existing coverage. Most of the people we've cruised w/ are in that age bracket where pre-existing becomes common.

Most cruise insurance companies require payment w/in 15 days to for pre-existing coverage. Most of the people we've cruised w/ are in that age bracket where pre-existing becomes common.

Frequent cruisers often get annual policies for medical and evacuation and self insure for cancellation.