Regarding the comments on Carnival staff having more work to do, they get more tips?

So there appears to be a consensus that the staff is stretched thinner. MDR team have more tables, Stewards have more rooms; doesn't that mean they will earn more in tips. Most people do the auto tips. Haven't seen any saying that they cut the tips because service was slow in the dining room or they only get their cabin serviced once a day.

Maybe the staff likes to have more tables/cabins to make more money? There has to be a point of deminishing return?

If they weren't ok with their conditions, they wouldn't work for the cruise line. They are not being kept there against their will! Stands to reason that the more customers they service, the more tips they will make.

They get nothing more but many don't have much of a choice.

I think OP is asking, in part, if they have to clean more cabins, wouldn't that mean more tips? Yes, it's more work in the same amount of time, but higher # of cabin tips.

I think OP is asking, in part, if they have to clean more cabins, wouldn't that mean more tips? Yes, it's more work in the same amount of time, but higher # of cabin tips.

This has been hashed around a lot, but to answer you, they also have an assistant so there are two of them....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They signed a contract. They knew what they were getting into.

I really do not want them standing at my door complaining about being overworked. Most of us work for a living. I would never walk up to the person who pays me and complains.

I use auto service charge. They get what Carnival asks for us to pay. Now quit your gripping or don't renew your contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's happening mid-contract. Your attitude about this is disturbing.

I don't think so. These changes have been reported in the works for a year or more on these boards if memory serves. Their contracts aren't that long.

And like others, I am not sure what the issue is. I don't remove auto tips and leave extra to cover our room(S).

I don't know how much you have talked with the staff but we make it a point to learn about the different jobs they work, their hours, and them as people. Yes, working for CCL is very hard work. But it is also great money in their native economy.

To the OP - If they are working more rooms then yes it stands to reason their tips are greater. Same with MDR. But you have me curious. I will ask on our next cruise!

It's happening mid-contract. Your attitude about this is disturbing.

It is the truth. We are on vacation. They work 6 month contracts. The added rooms and more tables have been going on for over a year. Not mid contract.

We knew about it in October of 2015.

I've seen Stewards standing and talking to one another for a while. The MDR crew doesn't seem to have more than they can handle. The head table waiter has two people working under him to help him. Maybe it's the people we don't see that toil away below decks?

I don't think so. These changes have been reported in the works for a year or more on these boards if memory serves. Their contracts aren't that long.

And like others, I am not sure what the issue is. I don't remove auto tips and leave extra to cover our room(S).

I don't know how much you have talked with the staff but we make it a point to learn about the different jobs they work, their hours, and them as people. Yes, working for CCL is very hard work. But it is also great money in their native economy.

To the OP - If they are working more rooms then yes it stands to reason their tips are greater. Same with MDR. But you have me curious. I will ask on our next cruise!

What I've highlighted in red above is what a lot of folks fail to take into consideration. Depending upon where they are from and what their job on board is they may be making 100's of times more than what would be a local minimum wage. What also isn't realized is that translates into 100's of times better quality of life in their native countries for their families back home.

If they are not happy, they can always quit. I think most of them enjoy their work and like the extra tips.

That's what I think too; they choose their careers and their contracts. I raised the question because so many complained about the work loads and reduced service to point out that the staff may actually like the situation of getting more tips. However, at some point that model of increasing the work load to increase the pay will probably result in a product that is not popular?

and like others, I am not sure what the issue is. I don't remove auto tips and leave extra to cover our room(S).

Soooo, when they raise the auto tip amounts (as they will clearly need to do in the near future) you will not have ANY issue with paying more? Somehow I believe there will be a huge uproar, once again.

If they are not happy, they can always quit. I think most of them enjoy their work and like the extra tips.

It's not always that easy. I've known a good number of people over the years that were unhappy with their jobs and it took them a while to find something as good or better. (I also think that most of them are happy, just pointing out that it's not so easy to just quit a job unless another one is lined up.)

and like others, I am not sure what the issue is. I don't remove auto tips and leave extra to cover our room(S).

Soooo, when they raise the auto tip amounts (as they will clearly need to do in the near future) you will not have ANY issue with paying more? Somehow I believe there will be a huge uproar, once again.

Well, other companies like RCCL, Celebrity, NCL etc raised auto tip in recent years. I didn't hear an uproar, so why would it happen among Carnival cruisers?

I'd rather see gratuities included into the fare, so no more possibility of removing them, and maybe then there will not be a need of raising them higher and higher.

Well, other companies like RCCL, Celebrity, NCL etc raised auto tip in recent years. I didn't hear an uproar, so why would it happen among Carnival cruisers?

I'd rather see gratuities included into the fare, so no more possibility of removing them, and maybe then there will not be a need of raising them higher and higher.

There was quite the uproar on the NCL forums when they raised their gratuities. Both times (I believe that they raised them twice in the same year).

Maybe I missed it.

Again... I think including tips into the fare, so less people would remove them will eliminate a need to raise them often.

Maybe I missed it.

Again... I think including tips into the fare, so less people would remove them will eliminate a need to raise them often.

If I were a betting man, I would wager heavily that what you suggest will never happen.

More cabins/tables means more tips. I've never been asked about morning or evening service, I've always received both.

I'm also in the camp that tips should not be able to be removed. Though I don't want them included in my cruise fare (though the end result is the same), I like the flexibility of either prepaying them, or depending on the overall anticipated travel expense, just waiting until I'm on the ship to have them added.

I just can't imagine ever reducing them or removing them.