Long time Celebrity cruisers want to go back to HAL..here's why.

• 3 months later...

Hallo!

I just read about your/our "music"problem. We have had exactly the same problem on another Celebrity cruise. We like to dance, but often wasn't able too, because the music was at hearing damage-level.

I even spoke with the cruise director about the sound level. The answer was: it's dancing music, so it has to be loud. I so often wander, if it's only us in having that problem. Perhaps US people are used to that? So i liked reading your critic.

Greetings from Austria Chris

Just returned from a trans Atlantic cruise on the Silhouette and here's my take briefly..

..service and crew were excellent

..food varied from good to excellent, (but is subjective)

..the ship is beautiful and clean

..nice Aqua class cabin and quiet dining in Blu.

..great benefits for Elite+ level (26 cruises on Celebrity)

Now you are wondering why I am asking about HAL. It is the music and the shows. They are so blasting loud as to leave you mostly deaf or your ears ringing afterwards. We enjoy going to shows even on a cruise ship. We also like to dance without being bombarded by rap or hip-hop at ear splitting levels!!! Celebrity even played rap at one of their outdoor specialty dining venues:mad:.

We have sailed HAL before. The last time was the Zaandam in 2004. I would appreciate some good truthful feedback from you HAL faithfulls.

Thanks,

Phil..........floridacruisers

As one can see in my signature, I have enjoyed only one Celebrity Cruise, that a 14 day on Celebrity Eclipse. A beautiful and comfortable ship whose dining room service and cuisine varied from "what I expected" to "disappointing". Music offered was a major plus. The special wine seminar (extra cost) with special wine crystal glasses remains a real highlight for me.

But, the cast shows: two of the three were in the category in my mind was: "...and the theme was what?" Audio produced during the show was uncomfortable.

Yikes! You folks really need to stay away from Carnival! Just did #27 and the music was so loud, and coming from multiple venues at the same time, that it was just total sensory overload. I cannot understand why one guy with an acoustic guitar needs to be so loud at an atrium bar that he can be heard two decks and half a ship away.

I've had this discussion with many old musician friends. They also all seem to believe that all live music (and now all canned music) must be played at the highest possible level.

You aren't having FUN if the music isn't deafening, I guess. Can't even go to the grocery store without the distracting din. :mad:

Still, on my Zuiderdam cruise in January, I thought the BB King band was THE best live music I've had on a cruise. I'm very much looking forward to the band on K in November.

For whatever it's worth, my wife and I took a 12-night British Isles cruise on the Zuiderdam in late July/ early August. It was our first HAL cruise in in 14 months (the last was a Prinsendam transatlantic in May of 2016). In the interim, we sailed on Silversea (Silver Spirit) and Oceania (Riviera). The biggest change we noticed in HAL was the music, and---except for the B.B. King Blues Club---the changes were for the worse. There was unrelenting pop music everywhere and at all times. You couldn't be alone with your thoughts at the Lido at 6:30AM without being subjected to it. And the HALCats and the Ocean Bar band have been merged into one band, which means that there is often no live music in the Ocean Bar before dinner because the band has to be in some other venue. Not a good development. Our next two cruises are on Oceania, not just for this reason but certainly in no small part because of it.

But, the cast shows: two of the three were in the category in my mind was: "...and the theme was what?" Audio produced during the show was uncomfortable.

The production shows on Celebrity (and Royal) are mostly terrible. We were on Celebrity Silhouette last month, and as in the past, I wondered what sort of drugs the people who came up with the concepts for the shows were on. The theme was strange at best, and they always managed to have someone flying in a Cirque-like way.

We were on Eurodam in March and found the production shows to be decent.

I wear regular foam earplugs that I had cut in half when attending shows and BB King on HAL cruises. This diminishes the loud sound without too much distortion.

There are also specialty earplugs designed for this purpose:

https://www.amazon.com/LiveMus-HearSafe-Ear-Plugs-Comfortable/dp/B00H2F87I8?th=1

This is better than having to change cruise lines or sitting by the elevators! :-)

igraf

DH wears ear plugs in this venue and thoroughly enjoys it, not too loud, he says, with his ear protection.

I, too, sailed Celebrity after a long absence from that line and discovered the same thing. While I like some rap, I don't want to listen to it at sonic boom levels. Like a previous poster, I pray that Holland doesn't introduce it to the dam ships, but who knows, some of the decisions they've made lately have a lot of us scratching our heads.

We have been recently on the Prinsendam, Westerdam and the Koningsdam. Last on the Koningsdam in November. The sound was so loud for the cast show that I wore ear plugs to the next one. And from what I have heard from friends, it has NOT changed despite the numerous comments to Front Desk and in surveys. when asked to lessen the volume, we were told that it was dictated by Seattle.

Had no problem with sound on the Westerdam except for the BB King Blues show which several people have already mention.

No problem on the Westerdam before their drydock. Not sure about after.

We definitely can sympathize with you. The cruise ships are trying to attract the younger crowd. But who has the money and time, the older crowd. Somehow the suits in Seattle haven't figured that out!

Storylady,

About money and the younger folks - at least in our area the "middle class" young adults (which I would suspect many of us were in our 30's and 40's) have plenty of money in our area, plenty. They just spend it differently - mainly on housing, vehicles and maybe boats. (Time to travel is another matter.) Hearing young folks in even their 20's tell what their first house must have amazes me. In later years we had two lovely waterfront homes - architect designed specifically for us. They would not even merit a look in today's market except to be torn down and a megahouse built in its place. (Because of their locations they both sold very quickly but the buyers were much more "mature" in age shall I say.

I am not complaining about their preferences, just saying that for many that is were their money goes, not cruising.

Just returned from a trans Atlantic cruise on the Silhouette and here's my take briefly..

..service and crew were excellent

..food varied from good to excellent, (but is subjective)

..the ship is beautiful and clean

..nice Aqua class cabin and quiet dining in Blu.

..great benefits for Elite+ level (26 cruises on Celebrity)

Now you are wondering why I am asking about HAL. It is the music and the shows. They are so blasting loud as to leave you mostly deaf or your ears ringing afterwards. We enjoy going to shows even on a cruise ship. We also like to dance without being bombarded by rap or hip-hop at ear splitting levels!!! Celebrity even played rap at one of their outdoor specialty dining venues:mad:.

We have sailed HAL before. The last time was the Zaandam in 2004. I would appreciate some good truthful feedback from you HAL faithfulls.

Thanks,

Phil..........floridacruisers

honestly we have only sailed three lines. Disney, Carnival and Holland America Line. Disney was wonderful, but a bit too pricey. Carnival was okay, but a party crowd. Holland America fit us perfectly. Our age group, fine dining, great activities and such elegant ships. We just received our 100 days at sea medal, so we must love it. we do not dwell on things such as rust and the little details that others seem to focus on. We know it is a community at sea, and we always remember it is a sea. this isnt a land hotel where maintenance comes easy. We see past all that and enjoy ourselves. We book early, book all the excursions we can, take advantage of the spa packages, dress up every night for dinner , go to the gym and the shows, get rocked to sleep by the ocean, and generally find love and joy in doing all the things we cannot do at home. If there is something that doesnt please or feel right, no worries, we move on. there is so much to do and see on board, we just find another thing that does. i hope this makes sense and i hope you sail again. this fall is our 10th HAL cruise. good luck. and always have fun. life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death.

I think there is always a quiet place on a HAL ship. Not so with some other lines.

We recently took a cruise on NCL and there was no escaping the crowds and noise.

I love the Promenade deck for quiet reading and that is lacking on some other lines. We love BB King, but that's just a matter of taste in entertainment. I never found it too loud.

Just off the Celebrity Infinity last week. The volume was too loud in the hallways for announcements and in the Constellation lounge. I got up and left. Good heavens I think the HAL ship next to us in port could have heard the announcements. I don't know why venues think that volume so loud that you can't have a conversation with someone next to you is entertaining. I mentioned this to the crew member who stated that they get complaints all the time but Celebrity thinks that it is enjoyed by most cruisers.

honestly we have only sailed three lines. Disney, Carnival and Holland America Line. Disney was wonderful, but a bit too pricey. Carnival was okay, but a party crowd. Holland America fit us perfectly. Our age group, fine dining, great activities and such elegant ships. We just received our 100 days at sea medal, so we must love it. we do not dwell on things such as rust and the little details that others seem to focus on. We know it is a community at sea, and we always remember it is a sea. this isnt a land hotel where maintenance comes easy. We see past all that and enjoy ourselves. We book early, book all the excursions we can, take advantage of the spa packages, dress up every night for dinner , go to the gym and the shows, get rocked to sleep by the ocean, and generally find love and joy in doing all the things we cannot do at home. If there is something that doesnt please or feel right, no worries, we move on. there is so much to do and see on board, we just find another thing that does. i hope this makes sense and i hope you sail again. this fall is our 10th HAL cruise. good luck. and always have fun. life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death.

COULD NOT HAVE SAID THIS BETTER MYSELF !!! 100% AGREE

COULD NOT HAVE SAID THIS BETTER MYSELF !!! 100% AGREE

Thanks! May your seas be smooth, and may be be lucky enough to sail together one day!!

All the cruise lines are changing.

And so is HAL. Depending on the ship you want to sail on, depends on if changes have been made.

Everything started with the Koningsdam. And has spread to the Eurodam and now the Westerdam. Piano Bar gone -- now have dueling Pianos -- no chance to sing along. No Northern Lights. The BB King group in the Queen's Lounge on some ships and Crow's Nest on other ships -- way too loud for us. There is the Lincoln Center and the Billards Room. Slowly the places to dance and listen to music are disappearing.

I agree! After my Koningsdam experience I find myself having to talk myself into a HAL cruise. The venues we liked most are being replaced on older ships. Regrettably they are being "Koningsdam Ed". I hate the dueling pianos and will always miss the real "Piano" bar where guests could sing along til late at night. IMHO HAL had the very best piano bar of the six cruise lines on which we have traveled.

There are few places to dance.p- on HAL ships- no entertainment in the atrium or Piazza. Since I am not a blues fan BB King has no appeal. The production shows are now technology driven- with less time given to live performers. Now- the overall cruise experience I like is usually found on the Celebrity Solstice class ships and the Royal and Regal Princess ships.

I will book HAL from time to time because of an irrestible promo, the true promenade deck on Vista class ships, the stops at Half Moon Cay, and Grand Turk and nostalgically because I fell in love with cruising on my first cruise on a HAL ship.

Let me add that Celebrity allows guest to use OBC to book shore excursions prior to boarding the ship.

I was looking forward to my Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in March- great promos- until I learned that it too will be "Koningsdamed" before I embark .

Edited by luv4cruises

I hate the dueling pianos and will always miss the real "Piano" bar where guests could sing along til late at night.

Let me add that Celebrity allows guest to use OBC to book shore excursions prior to boarding the ship.

I've only been on two HAL cruises, and only one recently, Eurodam. I really liked the dueling pianos, both players were excellent and some people did sing along. The only thing I found comparable on Celebrity was when they had this amazing guy Jordan Peterson on Summit a few years ago.

Also, you can only use cruise line provided (i.e., non-refundable) OBC in advance on Celebrity, not OBC from your TA. Of course, given that the TA OBC is refundable, it's not a big deal not being able to use it in advance (at least not for me).

Just off the Celebrity Infinity last week. The volume was too loud in the hallways for announcements and in the Constellation lounge. I got up and left. .

I actually like the volume being high in the hallways so I can open my cabin door and hear them. I will admit that I'm generally not walking in the hallway when the announcements come on.

Edited by MisterBill99

I agree! After my Koningsdam experience I find myself having to talk myself into a HAL cruise. The venues we liked most are being replaced on older ships. Regrettably they are being "Koningsdam Ed"....

I was looking forward to my Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in March- great promos- until I learned that it too will be "Koningsdamed" before I embark .

When will it happen to the NA? I'd like to sail on her before it happens.

We think that it is a mistake to select a cruise based solely on the cruise line. Things in the industry are changing constantly.

We like HAL but we would never consider cruising on an older HAL ship. No issue with the newer ships. Same with Princess, NCL, etc.

We have had first rate cruises and very mediocre cruises on different ships in the same fleet. Given where the industry is we see no percentage in being so called loyal to any one cruise line. Makes no sense.

We select on itinerary, ship, price, and then cruise line. I think that you are in for a disappointment if you select a cruise based on your perception of what that cruise line was like 10 or 15 years ago.

We select on itinerary, ship, price, and then cruise line. I think that you are in for a disappointment if you select a cruise based on your perception of what that cruise line was like 10 or 15 years ago.

Definitely agree with the 10 or 15 years ago comment. Reminds me of a recent post in another thread here where I was discussing all-inclusive resort day passes and someone told me that I was wrong about something and should recheck my info, only to later say that his info was based on his visit 10 years ago!

Having experienced the recently redone Oosterdam which was "Koningsdamized" and the venerable Veendam, I would say that the HAL ships are still more sedate than Celebrity. BB Kings is loud, but the shows and the music in the lounges was not overly so.

We are long time Celebrity cruisers, going on the Kdam in 4 weeks...first time on HAL. Celebrity used to be so quiet....now I think they are trying to appeal to a younger market. Not good. When we sail on the S class ships, we enjoy the music in the Ensemble Lounge...usually a duo or small jazz group or something similar. Easy to listen to and still talk. I hate having overhead music everywhere you go. One thing I really like about Celebrity is the lack of overhead announcements. We hear the Captain once a day, and except for announcing people can go ashore after docking in a port, they don't do announcements. I'm hoping HAL is like that too.

Jane

During daytimes on HAL you will now find overhead 'music' (sometimes I have to use the term advisedly) in just about every public area. In most places it is not too loud, and it is somewhat appropriate to the area, but it is there. If the area is otherwise fairly quiet, it can be obtrusive. For example, I hate the intrusion of 'jumpy' music when I am having my breakfast in the Lido; but it is there.

Near as I can find, the outside promenade deck is the only place that doesn't have any 'music', except when the Walk for the Cure is being held. Then, it practically blasts you overboard.

The worst episode was the time blaring music was being played in the normally quiet Explorers Lounge---aka 'The Reading Room'. It wasn't classical music, either, which is the usual background music there.

In the evening, the overhead music seems more subdued, but that might just be in comparison to the live music. The background music at the show can be too loud, especially when it's the HAL singers and dancers.

I found the BB King musicians were just about the right volume at the glass elevators, but that wasn't a great place to sit and listen.

Great wrap up, RuthC:D