Cuba Visa Fee

FYI for anyone planning a cruise with Royal Caribbean...if Cuba is on your itinerary there is a mandatory charge of $75 per person for a Visa whether you get off the boat or not. It is charged on your account Day 1 of sailing. This fee is not included in the cost of the cruise. I think this info should be disclosed at time of booking. The website makes it look like a treat to go there. Personally, the only reason I was interested in the cruise was to go to Cozumel. Disappointed with RCCI at this time.

FYI for anyone planning a cruise with Royal Caribbean...if Cuba is on your itinerary there is a mandatory charge of $75 per person for a Visa whether you get off the boat or not. It is charged on your account Day 1 of sailing. This fee is not included in the cost of the cruise. I think this info should be disclosed at time of booking. The website makes it look like a treat to go there. Personally, the only reason I was interested in the cruise was to go to Cozumel. Disappointed with RCCI at this time.

Pretty odd to go on a Cuba cruise with no interest in Cuba. Since the ship was in Cuba you would need the Visa whether you got off or not. You were still in Cuba. Never been on a cruise where the Visa fee is included. And it does say on the Royal Caribbean website that the $75 fee for the Cuba Tours Visa will be added to onboard accounts on day 1. You should not blame RCCI for your own mistakes.

Edited by Charles4515

The website makes it look like a treat to go there. Personally, the only reason I was interested in the cruise was to go to Cozumel. Disappointed with RCCI at this time.

That makes zero sense since 2/3 of all other sailings stop at Cozumel ( which is not all that in the first place) also and will be less expensive since the Cuba itineraries are in such demand

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We booked a Cuba overnighter while on another RCI cruise and were told about the $75 visa before we finalized the reservation, so no surprise for us.

However, I'm wondering why you would pay the premium fare for a cruise visiting Cuba if you weren't even interested in Cuba. I researched quite a bit and from what I've seen, a cruise including a stop in Havana is notably higher than many others that include Cozumel, but not Cuba.

Everyone has their personal preferences. I'm really looking forward to Cuba, but Cozumel isn't even in my top 25 cruise destinations. Just a collateral stop among some of my favorites.

Rather odd that that they 'have to charge it' whether you get off the ship or not. I would query that

Our friends are going to Cuba with Carnival in a month or so (US citizens) and they have been told they can sort their own things out or optionally buy it for $75. No mention of they have to buy it even if they stay on the ship.

Its also cheaper for other nationalities for a Cuba stop (this would be around 17 pounds or $23 for us)so I would be buying my own Visa/Tourist card as a Brit. I guess it makes sense for US folk to have a higher price.

Visa charges are common all over the world but only when you hit the land so to speak...the only exception where ship passengers are charged is the cost of canal transits (but that is added to the cruise price and not really a Visa).

That makes zero sense since 2/3 of all other sailings stop at Cozumel ( which is not all that in the first place) also and will be less expensive since the Cuba itineraries are in such demand

Yeah there are definitely cheaper ways to get to Cozumel. I was floored at what they're charging for a cruise to Cuba. I mean, I understand why, but wow that's a lot of money for a short cruise.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

When you actually make your booking, and BEFORE you put down your deposit, you are advised by the RCCL agent of the Visa fee. It is also on the website under "Cuba". Plus, also, after doing some research, I see that you have already been to Cozumel, on the Oasis, back in April of 2010, so you know that there are MANY RCCL ships that stop in Cozumel. . So, you can save your disappointment for something that actually deserves it. Lol !

- Clancy

Actually, I am not looking for pity for "MY" mistake...it was just an FYI post...as YOU may have been told at booking about the Visa charge...I WAS NOT...and as I do not owe an explanation as to why I chose this cruise, date, etc. I just thought others may be interested to know. AND yes, I have been on SEVERAL cruises BUT I have never come across a charge such as this. EXCUSE ME for not being so informed. I did see info on the website after I booked, hence the reason I called & got further info & felt so inclined to share. However, I guess the utter rudeness of several of you just makes me proud I was raised in the south & have much better manners...Wow, some people never cease to amaze me!

the utter rudeness of several of you just makes me proud I was raised in the south & have much better manners...!

[emoji57] Really? I could come up with all kinds of undesirable traits associated with being raised in the south, but I would be generalizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I understand the OPs point - there are a few differences between Cuba and other Caribbean locations that may not be made obvious when booking online. Not only Visa cost, but needing a passport (good for 6 months) also.

However, the same thing could be said for sailing to Russia, Vietnam, China, Brazil, etc. And whatever other countries require a visa. It's simply up to the traveler to be informed as to what is necessary for the country you are going to. I don't know, but would guess that's in the fine print.

I don't mind posts like this as it does make people aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have already sailed to Cuba May 1st on NCL, we are going back in Sept. on Carnival, this is due to an iten change, both cruise lines made it known to me about the visa and the affidavit that is required. I am unsure how someone could book a cruise to Cuba & not know about the visa.

Hold the butter and salt on my popcorn.

[emoji57] Really? I could come up with all kinds of undesirable traits associated with being raised in the south, but I would be generalizing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just moved to the South for Mr spook's post Navy civilian job. In the year I have been here, I have encountered more racist, uncouth, rude people than we ever did in 20 years of being surrounded by Americans from all 50 states and every stereotype possible. The term Redneck doesn't even come close to the behavior we have witnessed and been on the receiving end of.

I guess it depends on how people see whats the responsibility of the traveller or the travel company.

My friend was savvy before she booked and had read about the 12 reasons/tour booking thing and credit card problems for US citizens as well as the health checks/insurance things.

OP, I guess you looked into those after you found out?

I sincerely hope that RCCL don't make non-US citizens like me pay $75 when its very much cheaper for us to book it independently and we dont need a reason to be in Cuba like US folk.

Its also cheaper for other nationalities for a Cuba stop (this would be around 17 pounds or $23 for us)so I would be buying my own Visa/Tourist card as a Brit. I guess it makes sense for US folk to have a higher price.

Actually not... It´s 25 Euro if you fly from Europe into Cuba and cruise out of there. But if you cruise out of the US or fly from the US to Cuba it´s 75 Dollars - this depends not on the nationality but the place you fly or cruise from. So for an Empress cruise I have to pay 75 Dollars although I´m German.

steamboats

To the OP, I agree that the first half of your post is a decent FYI for those who have not researched Cuba cruises, and if you had stopped there you probably wouldn't have received the responses you perceived as "rude." I'm sure it was the second half that brought out the inquiries as to why you included Cuba in your itinerary and the negative tone you ended with. I hope you had/have a good time in Havana (might as well enjoy the experience) and Cozumel.

If you're still before final payment date, then see if you can change your booking to one that does not include Cuba.

Actually not... It´s 25 Euro if you fly from Europe into Cuba and cruise out of there. But if you cruise out of the US or fly from the US to Cuba it´s 75 Dollars - this depends not on the nationality but the place you fly or cruise from. So for an Empress cruise I have to pay 75 Dollars although I´m German.

steamboats

If thats true thats ridiculous for non-US cruisers.

I was under the impression that the $75 had a chunk of admin fee with money going to the line rather than a Cuba thing and that a European Cuban tourist card would be accepted as much as the US one at a port.

Tbh I am still wondering about this as I am likely to book a cruise that stops in Cuba (although not likely Royal at this point).

I will have to research at some point.

Rather odd that that they 'have to charge it' whether you get off the ship or not. I would query that

Our friends are going to Cuba with Carnival in a month or so (US citizens) and they have been told they can sort their own things out or optionally buy it for $75. No mention of they have to buy it even if they stay on the ship.

Visa charges are common all over the world but only when you hit the land so to speak...the only exception where ship passengers are charged is the cost of canal transits (but that is added to the cruise price and not really a Visa).

Same is true of sailing into an Australian port. Some countries make anyone entering their country by sea pay for a traveler's visa. This is one of the reasons we don't sail to South America: their visa charges are outrageous.