Check-in immediately or wait?

capsplace

Seeking some assistance: Is it better to check-in at first opportunity, or better to wait, just in case there is a price drop or a chance for a reasonably priced upgrade?

As there is no particular benefit in checking in right away once they open check-in, you can wait until close to your sail date. On the other hand, AFAIK, being checked in doesn't preclude you from trying to take advantage of price drops or upgrades.

Being checked in has nothing to do with being able to take advantage of a price drop. On our last two cruises we were all checked in, XpressPass printed, even had luggage tags ordered. Then there was a big price drop, after final payment. Celebrity was nice and upgraded our cabins on both trips without any issues. After that I did have to re-print the XpressPass and order new luggage tags. No big deal. I like to do my online check as soon as I can so it is one less thing for me to worry about as we get closer to leaving on a trip.

Seeking some assistance: Is it better to check-in at first opportunity, or better to wait, just in case there is a price drop or a chance for a reasonably priced upgrade?

Personally I would check in and then board. You are already paying for that day. Why not enjoy it on board?

Personally I would check in and then board. You are already paying for that day. Why not enjoy it on board?

OP means on-line check-in well in advance, I think.

Upgrades on departure day are unlikely!

Stuart

The OP is asking about using advanced check-in on the Celebrity website(it begins 2+ months before the sail date), and whether it would interfere with taking advantage of any upgrade offers or price drops that might occur after their final payment is in, not checking in at the port when boarding the ship on sailing day.

Thank you to those for clarifying my inquiry. Yes, I wanted to know if we would lose out on the chance of a future fare reduction or possible upgrade once we've completed early online check-in.

So, based upon earlier responses, we've gone ahead and checked in. Unfortunately, the craziness of the new website won't let me check on the current fares for our Aug cruise. But, from what little I can see, I don't believe there's been any change from when we booked last November. I will call Celebrity in the next week or two to see if the fare has changed.

Thanks again.

Thank you to those for clarifying my inquiry. Yes, I wanted to know if we would lose out on the chance of a future fare reduction or possible upgrade once we've completed early online check-in.

So, based upon earlier responses, we've gone ahead and checked in. Unfortunately, the craziness of the new website won't let me check on the current fares for our Aug cruise. But, from what little I can see, I don't believe there's been any change from when we booked last November. I will call Celebrity in the next week or two to see if the fare has changed.

Thanks again.

This will be our first Celebrity cruise. And somewhat a newbie do you have to call to find out if your price dropped? Do they give you credit? What if you used a TA? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

This will be our first Celebrity cruise. And somewhat a newbie do you have to call to find out if your price dropped? Do they give you credit? What if you used a TA? Thanks

I check for price drops directly on Celebrity's website. If you are before final payment, Celebrity permits price drops on bookings made in North America (rules in Europe and other areas are different). If you are after final payment due date, no price drops are granted - but you can do paid upgrades (i.e. if the price drops on a higher category, you can upgrade to that higher category and just pay the difference between the price you paid and the current price of the higher category). If you booked with a travel agent, you must contact them to do the price drop or upgrade; if you booked direct with Celebrity you just call them.

We haven't cruised since 2000, so we are just as much in the dark. I'll keep calling. Have been since Nov, so have no problem continuing. One positive result a few months back was when I learned that due to being members of the Captain's Club we were actually entitled to the same price as an A2 booking even though were booked in A1. Saved us a total of $100.

I've pretty much read on this website that you will likely not get a credit if you're already paid in full, as we are. Instead, I've read Celebrity might offer an upgrade either for free or a reasonable price.

There's another thread on here with a link to the old website that I've been using to check fares. I've also used Firefox which isn't showing the new website.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Not sure how up to date the old site is. We have had itinerary changes on 2 cruises which don't show on the old web-site but do show on the new site. I would check pricing on a large TA site for the time being, if you see a price drop then contact X or your TA which every has your booking.

Not sure how up to date the old site is. We have had itinerary changes on 2 cruises which don't show on the old web-site but do show on the new site. I would check pricing on a large TA site for the time being, if you see a price drop then contact X or your TA which every has your booking.

Thanks, I've been checking my TA's site also since their site often shows rates that are less than the rates shown on X'ship old site and new site. I've also noted incorrect information on the new site. For example, the old site listed the dining for reservations in Aqua class as traditional dining because they had no mechanism for indicating Blu. The new site does the same thing. Also the new site has been showing my December 2018 cruise as paid in full. So, my lack of trust for all websites labeled Celebrity continues ;p