Avoiding formal dinner

Celltech

2010 was when the OP was sailing on the Jade check the date they posted & the sailing date of the Jade

That's interesting as the OP sailed on Jade presumably which has NO FORMAL NIGHTS whatsoever. I would think that the OP would already know that if you don't want to go to a formal dinner, they could instead hit the buffet, get room service, go to a specialty restaurant or simply sail on a ship that doesn't have formal nights. At any rate, here are the current dress codes for the various lines:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545

That's interesting as the OP sailed on Jade presumably which has NO FORMAL NIGHTS whatsoever.

We have no idea what cruise line the OP is considering for a British Isles cruise

Maybe NCL or may be some other line

A moot point until the OP returns with more info

That's interesting as the OP sailed on Jade presumably which has NO FORMAL NIGHTS whatsoever. I would think that the OP would already know that if you don't want to go to a formal dinner, they could instead hit the buffet, get room service, go to a specialty restaurant or simply sail on a ship that doesn't have formal nights. At any rate, here are the current dress codes for the various lines:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=545

That is very informative. Thank you. I had no idea that some cruise lines prohibited wearing shorts after 6 pm anywhere on the ship. My husband would not be happy about that at all. It definitely pays to research the cruise lines before booking a cruise.

We were just on a Princess cruise and they did not enforce formal wear code. My husband also did not want to bring a suit. We were allowed to dine in the main dining room. Along with some stares given to us by other diners. Never the less DH and I had a wonderful dinner

My husband will not go on a cruise around UK since it involves 2 formal dinners and he does not want to pack a suit. Do they have room service so as to avoid the dining room. He wants a casual vacation and not all the dressing up.

I sailed NCL Jade out of Venice last year and they are laid back and casual; no formal wear required. I wear a suit and tie to work so this was a nice relaxing vacation; polo and t-shirts for me; and one long sleeve shirt have fun

That is very informative. Thank you. I had no idea that some cruise lines prohibited wearing shorts after 6 pm anywhere on the ship. My husband would not be happy about that at all. It definitely pays to research the cruise lines before booking a cruise.

I've been on several cruises (Carnival, RCI, Celebrity, Princess) and this is news to me too. You can't wear shorts in the MDR for dinner on those lines, and would probably feel slightly foolish wearing them during a captain's gala celebration and some other events. However, unless something significant has happened over the last few years, shorts are not banned throughout the entire ship at 6 pm. At least that was never the case for the four lines I've been on. Additionally, as has already been said probably 20+ times, no need to bring a suit, or tux because there are other dining options.

I've been on several cruises (Carnival, RCI, Celebrity, Princess) and this is news to me too. You can't wear shorts in the MDR for dinner on those lines, and would probably feel slightly foolish wearing them during a captain's gala celebration and some other events. However, unless something significant has happened over the last few years, shorts are not banned throughout the entire ship at 6 pm. At least that was never the case for the four lines I've been on. Additionally, as has already been said probably 20+ times, no need to bring a suit, or tux because there are other dining options.

According to the linked article, it is mostly the luxury lines that have the no-shorts-after-6:00 restriction. It must be an attempt to make the atmosphere seem as up-scale as the high cost of cruising on these lines implies. All major mass market lines have no such restriction except for MSC.

MSC has a no shorts after 6 rule also. It applies to all public areas. It isn't truly enforced, but the notice is in all the rooms. It is not a luxury line from my standpoint.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

MSC has a no shorts after 6 rule also. It applies to all public areas. It isn't truly enforced, but the notice is in all the rooms. It is not a luxury line from my standpoint.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

this is the general rule on most lines but only applies to the public areas, theatre, dining rooms, lounges and bars and not so much for the buffet and pool deck areas / bars.

this is the general rule on most lines but only applies to the public areas, theatre, dining rooms, lounges and bars and not so much for the buffet and pool deck areas / bars.

No. Not a general rule on Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, or RCI. I think a lot of people feel it should be a general rule, particularly if they have seen me in shorts. :D

My husband will not go on a cruise around UK since it involves 2 formal dinners and he does not want to pack a suit. Do they have room service so as to avoid the dining room. He wants a casual vacation and not all the dressing up.

Cruise with Celebrity. Formal evenings have been replaced with Evening Chic. :)

No. Not a general rule on Carnival, Celebrity, Princess, or RCI. I think a lot of people feel it should be a general rule, particularly if they have seen me in shorts. :D

Hi - sorry, not true in the least. We have cruised on three of the four lines you mention here and it is absolutely not true, just so you know. :)

Perhaps it is just not enforced consistently, but is definitely the case for the dining rooms and the theatre on X and Princess. And all areas (except buffet and pool deck) on Cunard

Perhaps it is just not enforced consistently, but is definitely the case for the dining rooms and the theatre on X and Princess. And all areas (except buffet and pool deck) on Cunard

Perhaps, but there are many more public areas than just those two areas on Celebrity, such as lounges, bars, shops, buffet, pool side food counters, etc., and shorts are indeed allowed in those other areas, especially on warm climate cruises. Shorts are even allowed at the Porch and the Lawn Club Grille, both specialty dining restaurants, on Celebrity Silhouette and Reflection.

So sorry, but my quoted comment was about your original statement. The rules you originally mentioned do not exist. Has nothing to do with enforcement. Yes, shorts are banned from the MDR at dinner. Not sure about the theatre. I didn't read that in any of the rules posted earlier, or maybe I missed that.

I would suggest then seeing if the ship has a windjammer café available. Their dress code is usually less strict than the formal dining room. If there is, I would strongly recommend using it, as to not offend the passengers who wish to dress up for dinner.

Just got off our fourth NCL cruise. Shorts are allowed in all but two dining rooms (and they did not enforce no shorts/collared shirts necessary in the dressier of the MDR's at all). Jeans are allowed in those that "require" pants.