Muster drill

Clairelly

You go to your muster station carrying your life vest. The muster station is typically a lounge or the theater. You sit and listen to the instructions and then you put your vest on. Then you take it off and go back to your cabin.

Hi

New to Princess, from Celebrity, what is the muster drill like?

Thank you!! :)

It's indoors in one of the lounges and other public areas. Depending on the ship the locations are mostly on deck 7, but some could be on deck 6. Your muster station is shown on the inside of you cabin door, and is also noted on the life vest. Carry don't wear your life vest to the drill. You will be instructed to put it on at the end of the drill. Your cruise card is scanned for attendance purposes. If you want a seat arrive 15 mins. early.

Excellent, thank you. So the same as Celebrity except we'll need to take the life jackets.

Yep, it's the same, only different. :p

Unlike on Celebrity where passengers could be anywhere on the ship prior to muster drill, on Princess you need to be in your stateroom in order to retrieve your life vest.

Excellent, thank you. So the same as Celebrity except we'll need to take the life jackets.

Yes, and if you want a seat, depending on the area, you will want to get there early enough. If in the Princess theater you should be fine. On the Royal Princess we had muster at Crooners and it was standing room only when we got there.

They swipe your card to confirm your attendance.

Yep, it's the same, only different. :p

Unlike on Celebrity where passengers could be anywhere on the ship prior to muster drill, on Princess you need to be in your stateroom in order to retrieve your life vest.

Just back from the Celebrity Summit and you don't bring your life vest to the Muster drill.

I agree with the hands on approach.

And I don't. If I were too dumb to figure out how to put on a life preserver, I shouldn't be allowed out of my padded cell without supervision. :D

Do you feel the same about airlines? Do you think they should require you take out and try on the life preservers when doing the safety drill at the start of every flight? No? Why not? Why is is necessary for a cruise ship but not an airplane? After all, airplanes crash more often than cruise ships do! :confused:

And I don't. If I were too dumb to figure out how to put on a life preserver, I shouldn't be allowed out of my padded cell without supervision. :D

You mean like the there's-one-on-every-cruise passenger who, despite being told to wait for instructions before putting on their vest, puts it on, or attempts to, while the crew member is demonstrating? I always hope I'm not behind them in case of emergency.

The main thing is to go pay some attention and be familiar with where you would go in an emergency. They do keep track of who attends. On the Allure in January a passenger was there but falling down drunk.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You mean like the there's-one-on-every-cruise passenger who, despite being told to wait for instructions before putting on their vest, puts it on, or attempts to, while the crew member is demonstrating? I always hope I'm not behind them in case of emergency.

That is probably the same passenger who just has to try the whistle, and in a crowded room even! Don't they ever think about where that whistle has been? How many other mouths, how many times against the floor under the bed, or touching another dirty vest, etc. YUCK!!!! Some people are truly that dumb. :eek:

Just like the rest, need to take your vest.

Nope. As has already been noted by several posters, not on the other mass market lines, including Celebrity and Carnival. Princess is the only line that requires bringing our life vests that I am aware of.

Do you feel the same about airlines? Do you think they should require you take out and try on the life preservers when doing the safety drill at the start of every flight? No? Why not? Why is is necessary for a cruise ship but not an airplane? After all, airplanes crash more often than cruise ships do! :confused:

If I had a nickel for every time I had to correct a passenger on how to put on a life jacket, I'd be like Trump. This was at NCL, when you were required to put the jacket on during muster. Believe it or not, there is a way to put the life jacket on such that the flotation force of the jacket, which is designed to turn an unconscious person face up while floating, will actually force your face under water and hold it there with 30 lbs of force. And it's not like they put it on backwards.

Some ships just send a letter to inform you that you've missed the drill spelling out all the details that were talked about.

One may question whether someone who is incapable or so self centered to have missed a muster drill is able to understand the written word.