Please clarify carnival wine policy?

jargey3000

Oh wow - this is great! I didn't realize that this was an option. I always thought the wine you brought onboard had to be consumed in your stateroom.

In theory it is supposed to be consumed in the stateroom but in a ship glass who's to say where it was poured :) I've never heard of anyone being questioned about was in a glass they were carrying around.

Technically, the Carnival FAQ's do not say the wine brought on board is for consumption in cabin only. Cruise ship experiences, in many ways, are much different than similar establishments based on land. We do a lot of things on board that wouldn't be typical on land.

Please don't assume I don't know the difference. They were most certainly wine glasses. We also had water glasses. The couple we cruised with had the same selection in their cabin too. In fact, many people, both on this forum and in the old Carnival Funville forum, have said they had wine glasses in their cabins. In the end, even if they gave us a red solo cup, it still holds one's beverage of choice all the same.

36 cruises and we've never had wine glasses in cabins ranging from inside to ocean suite. Share the link where fellow cruisers had wine glasses provided in their cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In theory it is supposed to be consumed in the stateroom but in a ship glass who's to say where it was poured :) I've never heard of anyone being questioned about was in a glass they were carrying around.

There is no longer a consumption restriction in the FAQ:

At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of this exception are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

36 cruises and we've never had wine glasses in cabins ranging from inside to ocean suite. Share the link where fellow cruisers had wine glasses provided in their cabins.

I don't have a link for you, but can tell you from first hand experience if that counts. May 18th sailing of the Paradise, two water goblets and two wine glasses in our suite when we boarded. And dirty glasses were exchanged for clean ones during normal cabin service times.

Technically, the Carnival FAQ's do not say the wine brought on board is for consumption in cabin only. Cruise ship experiences, in many ways, are much different than similar establishments based on land. We do a lot of things on board that wouldn't be typical on land.

Please don't assume I don't know the difference. They were most certainly wine glasses. We also had water glasses. The couple we cruised with had the same selection in their cabin too. In fact, many people, both on this forum and in the old Carnival Funville forum, have said they had wine glasses in their cabins. In the end, even if they gave us a red solo cup, it still holds one's beverage of choice all the same.

...you guys use glasses??!!...

I usually bring along an old paper bag, put the bottle in it, & guzzle from the bottle....hic! makes me feel 'at home'....

The Funville forums are non-existent. As for CC, I can't remember the exact dates of the exact threads with all of the exact posts that corroborate my experience. Since I can't provide you with your precious link, I must obviously not know what I'm talking about. :rolleyes:

You've been on 36 cruises, good for you. We had wine glasses on our first. We're just lucky, I guess. We had 3 water goblets (3 of us in our cabin). In addition to those, we had 2 wine glasses (I assumed because only 2 of us were drinking-aged adults). Wine glasses, rocks glasses, brandy snifters, champagne flutes, mugs...who can tell the difference.

FAQs are marketing. Read your contract, terms and conditions that's what matters.
FAQ's are Carnival's policies, not marketing. They lay out their rules and regulations. Actually, even though they refer to them as FAQ's, they don't post commonly asked questions with the answers like most FAQ's do. They are Carnival's policies in writing.

The full contract

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

It supersedes anything else. And in it is the Beverage Policy -

(f) Beverage Policy: For safety reasons, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception: At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, Guests (21 years of age and older) may carry on in their hand luggage, one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person. A $15 corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should Guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in a main dining room, steakhouse or bar. Guests are also prohibited from bringing water, sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages on board that are packaged in bottles. A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought on board on embarkation day, only if carried on in Guests’ hand luggage (not in checked luggage). A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person. Any hard liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic beverage, and non-alcoholic beverages, outside of the exceptions referenced above, are strictly prohibited (in both carry-on and checked luggage) and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided. Alcoholic beverages purchased in the vessel’s gift shops or at a port of call will be retained by Carnival until the end of the voyage. Carnival reserves the right to refuse to serve alcohol to any passenger. Guest acknowledges that the minimum age permitted for the purchase, possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages aboard Carnival’s vessels is twenty-one (21). Guest agrees to supervise all persons under age twenty-one (21) under Guest’s charge to insure that they do not violate this, or any other, shipboard regulation. Guests who attempt to purchase alcohol by using false identification or the Sail & Sign card of a Guest who is twenty-one or older will be deemed in violation of this policy. Any Guest twenty-one or older who attempts to or purchases alcohol for any Guest under twenty-one will also be deemed in violation of this policy. Guest agrees that Carnival has the right to disembark any Guest who violates this policy and as well as any adults traveling with minors who violate this policy or any other shipboard regulation.

re the comments about not paying $15 corkage for a $15 bottle: If you DON'T bring your own wine, and like a bottle with dinner, I looked at the onboard pricing, and it appears you'll then pay $30 for an approx. $7 bottle of wine!!!

This is true.

The advice about bringing wines sold on board is solid. I have never once been charged corkage.

And here they are:

5-Wine Bottle Package is sold on cruises, seven (7) days and longer*
Note: Wine selections and prices are subject to change. Wine package price includes a 15% gratuity (corkage fee will not apply).

Wine Package (5 bottles) -*$131.00 USD
Sparkling, Barefoot, Brut Cuvee, California
White Zinfandel, Barefoot, California
Pinot Grigio, Zonin, Italy
Sauvignon Blanc, Clifford Bay, Marlborough, New Zealand
Chardonnay, Santa Carolina Valle Central, Chile
Chardonnay, Barefoot, California
Pinot Noir, Barefoot, California
Merlot McGuigan ‘Bin 3000’, Limestone Coast, Australia
Cabernet Sauvignon, Barefoot, California
Malbec, Santa Julia, Mendoza, Argentina

Deluxe Wine Package (5 bottles) -*$153.00 USD
Prosecco, Zonin Veneto, Italy
Moscato, Castello del Poggio Pavia , Italy
Pinot Grigio, Ecco Domani, Della Venezie, Italy
Sauvignon Blanc, Kendall Jackson, California
Chardonnay, Kendall Jackson, ‘Vintner’s Reserve’, California
Pinot Noir, Layer Cake, California
Merlot, Columbia Crest, Great Estates, Columbia Valley
Cabernet Sauvignon, Hess Select, North Coast, California
Cabernet Sauvignon, Layer Cake, California.
Shiraz, Peter Lehmann, ‘Weighbridge’, South Australia
Malbec, Catena, Mendoza, Argentina

Premium Wine Package (5 bottles)-*$193.00 USD
Sparkling, Domaine Chandon, Brut, California
Conundrum, By Caymus, California
Pinot Gris, J, California
Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon, Cape Mentelle, Australia
Fume Blanc, Ferrari-Carano, Sonoma
Chardonnay, Le Crema, Monterey
Pouilly-Fuisse, Bouchard, Burgundy
Pinot Noir, Cherry Tart, California
Merlot, Kendall Jackson Vintner’s Reserve, California
Cabernet Sauvignon, Avant, Kendall-Jackson, California
Cabernet Sauvignon, J. Lohr, Paso Robles, California
Chianti Classico Riserva, Melini, Tuscany
Shiraz, Yangarra , McLaren Vale, Australia
Terrazas, Malbec Reserva, Mendoza, Argentina

I have cruised A LOT

The full contract

https://www.carnival.com/about-carnival/legal-notice/ticket-contract.aspx

It supersedes anything else. And in it is the Beverage Policy -

(f) Beverage Policy: For safety reasons, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages on board with the following exception: At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, Guests (21 years of age and older) may carry on in their hand luggage, one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person. A $15 corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine...

While I truncated your post not one sentence where consumption in room is stated.

What else ya got?

Piggy backing on this discussion:

Is it only when you first embark on the cruise that wine is permitted? If I were to buy a bottle of wine at port, would I be allowed to take it on board?

Also, what if I would like to buy liquor at port? I understand I might not be able to consume it during my trip, but I like to buy nice bottles for the people that will be housesitting for us.

Piggy backing on this discussion:

Is it only when you first embark on the cruise that wine is permitted? If I were to buy a bottle of wine at port, would I be allowed to take it on board?

Also, what if I would like to buy liquor at port? I understand I might not be able to consume it during my trip, but I like to buy nice bottles for the people that will be housesitting for us.

Yep, embarkation only. There will be a table set up when you get back on the ship for turning in purchased alcohol. You get it back at the end of the cruise.

However, the security varies, and you may be able to avoid turning in the alcohol. I've seen security shout people down attempting to avoid the table and I've seen people walk right past the table without a problem. YMMV.

Contract states -

A $15 corkage fee (a charge exacted at a restaurant for every bottle of wine served that was not bought on the premises), per 750 ml bottle, will be charged should Guests wish to consume their wine or champagne in a main dining room, steakhouse or bar.

Note wine or champagne is stated not bottle of wine or champagne, so legally it means any wine ( in a glass, sippie cup, etc.) not bought onboard. Also bar is probably the entire ship since alcohol is served everywhere. Personally it does not matter to me but misinforming others does matter. Everyone gets to make their own decisions just do it knowing what the contract says.

Yep, embarkation only. There will be a table set up when you get back on the ship for turning in purchased alcohol. You get it back at the end of the cruise.

However, the security varies, and you may be able to avoid turning in the alcohol. I've seen security shout people down attempting to avoid the table and I've seen people walk right past the table without a problem. YMMV.

Thank you! Do you receive a ticket or something to indicate what you dropped off? I would hate to spend the money on nice bottles only to have them "lost". Also, is there a limit? We like to stock up on Havana Club when travelling abroad.

Thank you! Do you receive a ticket or something to indicate what you dropped off? I would hate to spend the money on nice bottles only to have them "lost". Also, is there a limit? We like to stock up on Havana Club when travelling abroad.

Yes, you will get a receipt. I don't know of any limits imposed by Carnival. I recommend avoiding the table if you can.

There is no longer a consumption restriction in the FAQ:

At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage. All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of this exception are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided.

We will have 3 21+ adults in our quad cabin. I have been assuming we can bring 3 bottles of wine. Has anyone been refused bringing a 3rd bottle of wine onboard when they have 3 21+ cruisers in their cabin?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would not pay $15 on a $15 bottle of wine, no way

Because i can buy a pretty good bottle of wine in florida for under 10.00. lol so why pay 15. for a ice towel wrap and ice bucket and wine glasses??

Besides i can have wine glasses delivered to my cabin. In a discreet manner. Who knows if you bought a glass of wine at the bar before dinner.

Correct ish. :) No one will ask you if it's for the dining room (or anywhere else). If you bring the bottle to the dining room, they'll charge you the $15 corkage fee. If you just bring a glass to dinner - your cabin steward can loan a corkscrew if you need one - no corkage fee.

Unless you get a nice server like my last one who tells you to just hold it down under the table when you are pouring it and you will be fine :)

We will have 3 21+ adults in our quad cabin. I have been assuming we can bring 3 bottles of wine.

Short answer is yes.

Cruise lines use private security firms to screen us prior to boarding, when you go through security they don't know (or probably care) cabin status. One bottle per person. It's been that way in the four ports we've cruised from on our last trips.

I've never attempted to circumvent alcohol polices but more than once I've pulled my backpack off the belt after x-ray with both bottles for my wife and I and simply walked right up to the check in area. Same when I bought a bottle of rum in San Juan a few weeks ago. It was in my pack and I walked to the elevator after clearing Carnival security returning to the ship. I forgot it was in my backpack. I wrote it on the US Customs forms.

Just to be clear, the carry on wine is technically for cabin only - just like bon voyage). That said, I have never seen anyone challenged carrying around a bottle (of wine).

Sent from my iPhone

The bottle is for the cabin; you can pour and take anywhere though. You don't have to consume in your cabin. I could see where having an open bottle in a public venue they might charge the corkage though.