Seasick bracelets???

Ashemson

Ours are Sea Band. I can tell you that they didn't help with huge swells that emptied the ship's pools, but otherwise we found them quite effective.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Thank you! First cruise, just getting prepared.

They work for very mild seasickness. For serious motion, this works much better but also 10x more expansive:

https://www.amazon.com/ReliefBand-Motion-Sickness-Device-Batteries/dp/B00VU8XXBE/

It works for small boats/ferries with lots of motions. it even works on amusement parks rides.

Seasick bracelets don't actually do anything to prevent seasickness. You might get some benefit out of them due to the placebo effect, and it's not like there is any harm in wearing one, but don't drop a ton of money on something that runs on fake science. You will probably have much better luck with the typical over the counter seasickness pill.

I'd recommend that you bring a back up, in case the bands don't work for you. They sure didn't work for me, even in moderate swells. Talk to your pharmacist and see about getting an OTC nondrowsy med like Bonine (meclizine).

(y)

Seasick bracelets don't actually do anything to prevent seasickness. You might get some benefit out of them due to the placebo effect, and it's not like there is any harm in wearing one, but don't drop a ton of money on something that runs on fake science. You will probably have much better luck with the typical over the counter seasickness pill.

(y)

If you get them make sure you get them with Velcro! You can adjust these but not the ones you just slip over your wrists. Those can get stretched out and then lose their effectiveness. And you don't have to take a pill and wait for it to work.

I have them but seldom ever have to use them!

If you feel seasick, eat an apple or saltines, don't look at the horizon. You can get sea sick pills in the gift shop, usually where you pay for alcohol is where they are along with Tylenol, etc.

Unless you have a documented history of getting seasick, there is no way to tell if they are effective or not. You my not have gotten sick even without them. The most reliable method is meds.

Seasick bracelets don't actually do anything to prevent seasickness. You might get some benefit out of them due to the placebo effect, and it's not like there is any harm in wearing one,

I wore them and they didn't help and they had a negative side effect! The pressure point hit on a nerve that hurt up to my elbow for weeks afterward. Never again. I use Bonine only when necessary, not just in case even though I know I am susceptible to motion sickness. I use ginger tablets or eat candied ginger as a prevention. Works fine as long as the ship doesn't move too much.

My favorite cure for seasickness is guaranteed and is free......sit under a tree.

Otherwise I agree with the Meclizine tip.....they have it at the purser's desk on every ship I've ever been on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They work for very mild seasickness. For serious motion, this works much better but also 10x more expansive:

https://www.amazon.com/ReliefBand-Motion-Sickness-Device-Batteries/dp/B00VU8XXBE/

It works for small boats/ferries with lots of motions. it even works on amusement parks rides.

Yes, my Mom swears by this, too. She tried it after Bonine did nothing for her. Now, she'll never cruise without her Relief Band.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, my Mom swears by this, too. She tried it after Bonine did nothing for her. Now, she'll never cruise without her Relief Band.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have mine for over 15 years. The same one. My wife used it for morning sickness (FDA approved) when she was pregnant with our son. My mom cannot go on any size boat or ship without it.. same as me. With it, I survived the "Vomit Comet" in Mexico with ease when half the ship got off with their faces a little green. I lent my watch to so many people over the years.. they all got their own afterward. It just works! And unlike the medicines (which also work for me), the watch works even after you felt nausea. Most motion sickness medicine you have to take it one hour ahead.

You do have to try it first though.. some people cannot stand the electric shocks.. even at setting 1. My aunt wanted to try it once and she jumps up as soon as the first shock hit... :p

I brought Sea Bands on my last cruise as a 'just in case', since the first two cruises I had been on each had a day of queasiness.

On the first day, the ship was rocking, and I started to feel seasick and had to lay down. I put the Sea Bands on and within 20 minutes I felt 100% normal. I never thought they would work but they really did! I didn't wear them the whole trip; I only put them on when I started to feel a little nauseous.

Now, the seas got rough on our sea day--not as rough as I've seen them described on other cruises but definitely was rocking our world--and the Sea Bands weren't able to combat my more severe sea sickness. Ended up going to the ship's store and getting Dramamine. They didn't have the non-drowsy kind and it knocked me out for a couple hours, but I felt fine after that.

Next time I will bring my Sea Bands and some non-drowsy Dramamine, just to be prepared!

I have mine for over 15 years. The same one. My wife used it for morning sickness (FDA approved) when she was pregnant with our son. My mom cannot go on any size boat or ship without it.. same as me. With it, I survived the "Vomit Comet" in Mexico with ease when half the ship got off with their faces a little green. I lent my watch to so many people over the years.. they all got their own afterward. It just works! And unlike the medicines (which also work for me), the watch works even after you felt nausea. Most motion sickness medicine you have to take it one hour ahead.

You do have to try it first though.. some people cannot stand the electric shocks.. even at setting 1. My aunt wanted to try it once and she jumps up as soon as the first shock hit... :p

Didn't realise they shocked you that hard.

Everyone's different - some people can tolerate even the wildest storms, others (like me) don't even need to be at sea to be nauseated.

Take the wristbands if you wish (I agree that you don't have to spend a fortune on them) but you would be wise to take a pharmaceutical back-up.

In my experience, the wristbands were useless - as were ginger, apples, 'Motioneaze' drops and various tablets (both OTC and prescribed) :(

I just bought new ones after a great deal of research, The brand is PSI Bands. I liked these because they are like a watch band so nicely adjustable and the ball that rests on the pressure point has a dial so pressure can be managed. They also come in various colors. I ordered 1 from Amazon to check it out 1st, then ordered more from "Grommet"(better pricing on the clear one). On our 1st cruise we had "Sea Band" and I hated them.They look like sweat bands on your wrists, not great when you get them wet, and look very unattractive when you are dressed up for dinner or something. I also didn't feel like there was much pressure on them. I can't tell you yet how the PSI Bands work, haven't used them yet, we leave July 2nd, but I think there theory behind the product and the overall appearance is better.