Anyone buy a camera while on their cruise?

BuckeyeMan

We have a fair amount of OBC and was curious. How do the price compares to the big box stores or big online places. I can't recall what they were on our last cruise. I am guessing Nikon cameras. Any ideas on the model?

And how will this be handled with customs? Just thought this might be a practical way to spend our OBC.

Thanks in advance for any information.

We have a fair amount of OBC and was curious. How do the price compares to the big box stores or big online places. I can't recall what they were on our last cruise. I am guessing Nikon cameras. Any ideas on the model?

And how will this be handled with customs? Just thought this might be a practical way to spend our OBC.

Cameras are usually not a bargain on a cruise ship, but with today's technology it is easy to use the Internet on the ship to check prices at web sites such as Amazon. The ship will not charge sales tax or shipping, but usually the full list price.

And as far as Customs is concerned, it is just like anything else you purchased when out of the country. Declare it as part of your purchases on the customs form.

We have bought two cameras onboard over the years. A compact one and last cruise a 'bridge' one. Not really cheaper than shoreside but when you have significant OBC a good way to use it. Pre cruise we have done a bit of work on what features we want from a camera but haven't focused on a specific brand. Quite simply if they don't have a camera that does what we want we will not bother. We usually go and speak to them and see what they have that seems to meet our needs then go on the net to check prices and reviews....

They do have limited stock on board so we tend to look early in the cruise also you can then have the pleasure of trying it out!

Not bought a camera, but I bought an iPad.

As we live in U.K. I avoided 20% sales tax.

Also as the ship's prices in US $, I benefited with an excellent exchange rate (July 2015)

I was aware that I was allowed to bring £390 in goods back into U.K. If I had exceeded this amount, I would have had to pay the full 20% V.A.T, so careful preparation was required, e.g. pricing the various iPads ( memory) before hand.

Almost anything electronic optical can be bought at the same price on land. Also, the selection on the ship is usually awful. However, if you have OBC and they have what you want, the price is essentially free and you can't beet free even if free is overpriced. Just do your research before you get on the ship.

DON

Thanks in advance for any information.

I bought a Nikon COOLPIX water proof camera a few years ago while onboard. I'm not sure which ship you are on or if they are all the same, but we felt like we got a good deal since we didn't pay taxes on it. It's great for snorkeling and scuba - up to 60 ft.

................... the selection on the ship is usually awful. ...................... Just do your research before you get on the ship.

DON

I disagree with Don's first statement - the ship had a bigger selection than Best Buy at home.

I Totally Agree with his second statement.;)

I'm surprised that people are interested in purchasing cameras. We use our IPhones for taking photos - very good quality and easy to edit photos and send them to friends and family. If you like taking underwater photos, then a special camera would be needed.

I agree with what others have said about price on the ship. However since you have OBC that you want to use this is the only time where buying electronics, watches and cameras may work out to be a better deal than on land or internet. I suggest you do some research on features, models and brand before your cruise so that you can at least have the knowledge to make a sound decision.

I bought a Nikon COOLPIX water proof camera a few years ago while onboard. I'm not sure which ship you are on or if they are all the same, but we felt like we got a good deal since we didn't pay taxes on it. It's great for snorkeling and scuba - up to 60 ft.

I disagree with Don's first statement - the ship had a bigger selection than Best Buy at home.

I Totally Agree with his second statement.;)

But did it have more than one brand of camera. Most of the time they carry only one brand.

DON

Did not buy but probably would have on Infinity,,There was only one left of the camera that I was interested in. Someone beat me to it but I was there while the salesman went through it all with him..very thorough..hands on test drive as it was the last one.seller was very well informed

Price was good..on par with online or Best Buy..Walmart etc...All the add ons were extra...like the card etc. Uually prefer Best Buy because they are very helpful with after purchase assistance. Hope the gentleman who bought it loved it as much as I did...Will get one around the holudays.

If you know what you want and know pricing,.,could be a good use of OBC..

I'm surprised that people are interested in purchasing cameras. We use our IPhones for taking photos - very good quality and easy to edit photos and send them to friends and family. If you like taking underwater photos, then a special camera would be needed.

I'm finding the same thing since I got my iPhone 7+ which has an excellent camera. I have two very expensive cameras gathering dust! Didn't even bother to take either of them with me on my last cruise. Yes, one of them has a powerful zoom lens. But it's heavy to lug around.

They rip you off with anything you buy on a ship.

Totally true. But if you are buying it w OBC, it is free even if you are going to be ripped off. Even if you do not want whatever you bought, you can sell it when you get home and make money on it even if you don't really get what it is worth.

DON

Perhaps you should ask yourself why? For ordinary snaps in decent lighting, requiring a relatively wide angle of view, phones are fine. Once the light drops, or you need a narrower view (digital zoom simply crops the shot) or a wider view, or to have some parts of the image out of focus while the main subject is sharp, then you need a proper camera.

Most people don't - hence the virtually obliteration of the lower end of the camera market - but some of us do, for perfectly valid reasons.

Stuart

Our last cruise on the Reflection we actually bought a go pro for a birthday gift. We checked prices on various websites and it's an item that seems to be price fixed. So we figured we saved the sales tax from buying it back home in the states

What about other ways to spend OBC (assuming non-refundable)? I thought I read Celebrity now allows OBC spend during the planning phase? I'd book a shore excursion, specialty dining, internet package, or drink package, basically things I might already be paying for in cash, before buying anything onboard. Someone also mentioned Guest Relations has a form for additional tipping (instead of giving cash) though I don't recall if tipping from non-refundable OBC would be allowed.

If you are in the market for an Apple product and come from outside the US, then it might be worth checking the prices as UK/EU pricing on Apple products is usually higher than US and USA doesn't have a "tax back" scheme and duty free doesn't usually carry too many electronics. Otherwise, stalking discount websites and checking for online cash back promotions will usually get you a better electronics discount than MSRP and you get to set it up at home where you can check for dead pixels, battery life, and time to browse the features before taking it out for a "once in a lifetime" excursion.

Unused Refundable OBC, usually from a travel agent, is indeed refunded to credit card if you setup your sailing account with a credit card. Usually gets credited within a day or so of disembarkation. That spends same as cash as it comes back close to cash (a balance credit to my credit card). Nothing "free" here.

They rip you off with anything ????? you buy on a ship.

I'm sorry for your attitude. There are Many Many deals to be had on the ship......

We buy alcohol - "Lowest Price Guarantee" onboard instead of in port and get the best deal.

The camera I described before was NOT a "rip-off" - it was actually a good deal because I saved 8.25% sales tax.

I bought an RCI "Alaska Coat" that I love and it was on sale and a GREAT PRICE.

Try to rethink your attitude and be more positive.;)