Dog on ship

It is very easy for fully functional, non-disabled people to marginalize the reality that more functionally-challenged people face. It's the same kind of scenario as when men marginalized the reality that women in society faced; and the same kind of scenario as when people with white privilege marginalized the reality that racial, religious and ethic minorities face. The only difference is that in those situations exploitation through deception was not as readily possible. The fact that some people engage in deception to insinuate for themselves advantages that they do not actually need does not nullify the reality that other people have genuine needs.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Why so long winded? Simple words are the best words. We all know that just because some people fake it doesn't mean there aren't others with real needs; but it causes many to have an initial mistrust until verifying versus accepting the need as genuine. This is a detriment to those with a real need.

More often than not I see older generation abusing this; carrying around toy dogs under their arms. I think the younger generation actually has more respect for those with genuine needs and don't want to be viewed negatively for taking advantage and riding on the coattails of others.

I once saw 2 ladies in 6 inch spike heels using wheelchairs to get in the short security line at LAX.I have seen real service dogs with real disabled people. That is what they are for. The whole abuse thing makes me mad as hell.....but nothing I can do about it. Just dont ask me to agree how cute your "service" dog is....I will be glad the LOUDLY tell you what I think. Otherwise, I just walk on by.

Doug

It is very easy for fully functional, non-disabled people to marginalize the reality that more functionally-challenged people face. It's the same kind of scenario as when men marginalized the reality that women in society faced; and the same kind of scenario as when people with white privilege marginalized the reality that racial, religious and ethic minorities face. The only difference is that in those situations exploitation through deception was not as readily possible. The fact that some people engage in deception to insinuate for themselves advantages that they do not actually need does not nullify the reality that other people have genuine needs.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

Could you repeat that a little more slowly? I'm just not as sharp as I used to be. I think I am functionally challenged.

I'll try to ignore any of your typographical errors since you could also be typographically and functionally challenged.

Lol an English term meaning you could open up all eventualities with many possibilities etc.

Amazing! Didn't know that! Do you really can worms in England? That could certainly open up all eventualities and many possibilities! You Brits never cease to amaze me. :D

Edited by 1980dory
Wrong thread.

Amazing! Didn't know that! Do you really can worms in England? That could certainly open up all eventualities and many possibilities! You Brits never cease to amaze me. :D

Some anglers do.

But generally it is only a phrase commonly used meaning if you delve into something like someones history, secret files etc you might find more than you bargained for.

As someone who dedicates A LOT of time an energy raising Guide Dogs for the Blind on a volunteer basis, I absolutely hate when people carry tiny dogs around and claim them to be for "emotional support". Something needs to give with this ridiculous practice. There are people (PTSD for example) who really do suffer and thrive with the use of a TRAIND AND CERTIFIED animal. Unfortunately, we have not gotten to the point where we have created a standard for the real guid/service animals so people take advantage of it far too much.

"I get sad if my yorkie isn't always with me" is not a real reason. Not saying that is the case here however I expect it is. Service animals should not be carried around in purses.

That is exactly the point. You can often tell when a dog is actually trained as a service animal. They tend not to bark or make sounds and they don't move from the side of the person the animal is servicing.

I have several friends who have retired from the Armed Forces who suffer from PTSD and a couple of them have the dogs and they work wonders. It makes my blood boil that these dirtbags out there are taking advantage of the situation just so they can have their stupid dog with them.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Really, we are debating the abuse of the system by some people, bringing their "pets" on board using the ruse of it being a "service animal" versus the use of legitimate trained service animals and you bring up "white privilege"? Has nothing to do with the topic at hand. How about you save that for your political post.

Edited by theroos17

Really, we are debating the abuse of legitimate service animals and you bring up "white privilege"? Has nothing to do with the topic at hand. How about you save that for your political post.

BUU has almost made my ignore list numerous times, mainly because of their demeanour.

Really, we are debating the abuse of the system by some people, bringing their "pets" on board using the ruse of it being a "service animal" versus the use of legitimate trained service animals and you bring up "white privilege"? Has nothing to do with the topic at hand.
I made clear how it does pertain to what we're discussing: Some posters are callously dismissing the possibility that there are legitimate needs for emotional support animals that should be granted and honored. They are wrong. How could they be wrong? The same way people have been wrong about their marginalization of the legitimate needs of others throughout time.

How about you save that for your political post.
There is nothing more political about demonstrating how the marginalization is wrong as there was about the original posts where people marginalized legitimate use of emotional support animals. Perhaps your own personal bias, in favor of that marginalization or otherwise, makes it difficult for you to see that.

The bottom line is what I said as the summary of the message you quoted: "The fact that some people engage in deception to insinuate for themselves advantages that they do not actually need does not nullify the reality that other people have genuine needs." We share the cruise ships we cruise together on. Considering and respecting other people rather than marginalizing their needs, even though you have different values from them, is appropriate and proper. We're supposed to be helping each other have better cruises - not making excuses for undercutting the experience of cruisers with whom we don't see eye to eye by fostering negative impressions of them.

I made clear how it does pertain to what we're discussing: Some posters are callously dismissing the possibility that there are legitimate needs for emotional support animals that should be granted and honored. They are wrong. How could they be wrong? The same way people have been wrong about their marginalization of the legitimate needs of others throughout time.

There is nothing more political about demonstrating how the marginalization is wrong as there was about the original posts where people marginalized legitimate use of emotional support animals. Perhaps your own personal bias, in favor of that marginalization or otherwise, makes it difficult for you to see that.

The bottom line is what I said as the summary of the message you quoted: "The fact that some people engage in deception to insinuate for themselves advantages that they do not actually need does not nullify the reality that other people have genuine needs." We share the cruise ships we cruise together on. Considering and respecting other people rather than marginalizing their needs, even though you have different values from them, is appropriate and proper. We're supposed to be helping each other have better cruises - not making excuses for undercutting the experience of cruisers with whom we don't see eye to eye by fostering negative impressions of them.

First, I clearly did not marginalize the legitimate use of service animals. Also, your own bias doesn't allow for you to acknowledge the politicization of your post by adding the term, "white privilege". The examples you gave were legitimate and demonstrated your point very well. There was no need to accentuate your point with that term.

Second, properly trained service animals are taught to sit, quietly, by the side of the person they are attached to. When people bring UNTRAINED animals onto the cruise ship(ones that bark or howl, approach other people or defecate in inappropriate areas of the ship), does that not undercut the enjoyment of the cruise for others? It has nothing to do with "seeing eye to eye" with the people with animals. It is the need to weed out the abuse of the illegitimate use of so called "service animals" as opposed to those that have real and legitimate needs for them.

Like the woman on our last cruise that had 2 yappy little dogs in a stroller. The only "service" those dogs provide was to distract her husband while she shopped and get her attention from the other passengers.

She just annoyed the hell out of me. People like that make it really difficult for those that actually need true service dogs.

Seriously? The examples you raise are issues punctuated by violence and denial of basic human rights.

How would someone have perpetrated "exploitation through deception" in your comparables? Your raising examples of discrimination, people don't try to pass themselves off as a discriminated group. Why would they.

This is more like telling the movie theater your 16 year old is 11.

Your stated cases of discrimination seem more applicable to when people were not allowed to cruise with service dog's.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

I am recently returned from a Harmony of the Seas cruise on which a family (seemed to be 6 or 7 people) had a very small dog, I think a Yorkie, which one or the other of them carried all over the ship. I did not know any but service dogs were allowed on cruise ships and this dog was doing no service except being cute. So what gives?

That’s a terrible way to talk about my sister.