Dog on ship

Do these emotional support animals have to attend muster drill? Are they allocated a spot in the life boats? How would one get a life jacket to fit an emotional support lama?

They might make the life boat, but unlike the movie “Alive”, they will be consumed first.

You don’t think that maybe their disability meant that they could walk short distances but not the kind of distance that it takes to get across an airport? I know I’d rather walk off the plane and into a waiting wheelchair if I could.

Perhaps so, but if they can walk off the plane and into a waiting wheel chair why couldn’t they have walked onto the plane from the gate area with their assigned boarding group after leaving the wheel chair they used to get to the gate?

To be clear I am not a dog hater or someone insensitive to the disabled needs. We have a family member that is disabled and requires a service dog (a Lab). We were on Oasis for two weeks in Aug/Sept. Both cruises had dogs on board. The people that had them seemed fine and totally capable but they had their dogs with the service dog vest on wondering all over the ship. And of course they could have conditions that weren't obvious. Down on the running track deck there was a small box, maybe 3 feet by 4 feet filled with some material for the dog to poop in. However I witnessed one dog doing the poop walk then dumping on side of the running track. By the time I made it around the deck a few times a poor crew member was cleaning it up, apparently the owner didn't bother. Then there was the urine on the deck, also left for the crew to clean up. The definition of a service dog is...

Service Animal Defined by Title II and Title III of the ADA. A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.

With such a broad definition you can see why dogs now go everywhere with people, malls, restaurants, on planes, and cruise ships. And its now common place for them to be on planes. Nothing like being seated next to someone with a dog tucked under the seat that has gas. I say enough. I am a dog owner and proud owner of an English Bulldog we love like a family member but when we cruise, and we do often, we board the dog. If someone has a true disability and needs a service dog then of course. I'll be the first to welcome them on board. But if its someone that is exploiting the definition and just wants to take "Buffy" with them then its ridiculous. Cruise ships are not built for dogs, what's next service cats. So if you don't really need or require a service dog leave them at home. You, your fellow passengers, and the crew will enjoy the cruise a lot more.

To be clear I am not a dog hater or someone insensitive to the disabled needs. We have a family member that is disabled and requires a service dog (a Lab). We were on Oasis for two weeks in Aug/Sept. Both cruises had dogs on board. The people that had them seemed fine and totally capable but they had their dogs with the service dog vest on wondering all over the ship. And of course they could have conditions that weren't obvious. Down on the running track deck there was a small box, maybe 3 feet by 4 feet filled with some material for the dog to poop in. However I witnessed one dog doing the poop walk then dumping on side of the running track. By the time I made it around the deck a few times a poor crew member was cleaning it up, apparently the owner didn't bother. Then there was the urine on the deck, also left for the crew to clean up. The definition of a service dog is...

Service Animal Defined by Title II and Title III of the ADA. A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.

With such a broad definition you can see why dogs now go everywhere with people, malls, restaurants, on planes, and cruise ships. And its now common place for them to be on planes. Nothing like being seated next to someone with a dog tucked under the seat that has gas. I say enough. I am a dog owner and proud owner of an English Bulldog we love like a family member but when we cruise, and we do often, we board the dog. If someone has a true disability and needs a service dog then of course. I'll be the first to welcome them on board. But if its someone that is exploiting the definition and just wants to take "Buffy" with them then its ridiculous. Cruise ships are not built for dogs, what's next service cats. So if you don't really need or require a service dog leave them at home. You, your fellow passengers, and the crew will enjoy the cruise a lot more.

A true service dog does not bark or have accidents. It is highly trained. People are abusing the system to have “fluffy” vacation with them. They are only hurting people that truly need and have a real service dog. Cruise lines, and airlines, need to crack down on these abusers.

A true service dog does not bark or have accidents. It is highly trained. People are abusing the system to have “fluffy” vacation with them. They are only hurting people that truly need and have a real service dog. Cruise lines, and airlines, need to crack down on these abusers.

I believe there are tons of people in this thread/fellow cruisers who would love a crack down (to use your words) on abusers of the 'service animal' classification. Businesses struggle with HOW to do it, and cruise lines are no exception, without alienating a 'paying customer'.....either way someone gets alienated, I fully realize. Someone when irritated enough takes their business elsewhere, but when they go elsewhere (if it is the cruiser who doesn't need the service animal) they find the same problem on the next cruise line.

Lol, I saw on the news yesterday that a woman tried to bring her “emotional support animal,” on a plane. It was a PEACOCK! 🤣

Sent from my iPad using Forums

To be fair, she had purchased a seat for the peacock. And, yes, I understand she had been repeatedly told she couldn’t board with it.

The picture of the Peacock looked really cool - as it rode the cart through the airport.

Cruise lines could make a fortune turning a couple of rooms into a doggy day care center. A couple of attendands, a couch or three for visiting and upscale sleeping quarters. Two thousand or so to play and visit with Muffy would be cheap and a huge money maker. Cunard used to have a kennel, they may still.

To be fair, she had purchased a seat for the peacock. And, yes, I understand she had been repeatedly told she couldn’t board with it.

The picture of the Peacock looked really cool - as it rode the cart through the airport.

Cruise lines could make a fortune turning a couple of rooms into a doggy day care center. A couple of attendands, a couch or three for visiting and upscale sleeping quarters. Two thousand or so to play and visit with Muffy would be cheap and a huge money maker. Cunard used to have a kennel, they may still.

She first tried to take the peacock free as an emotional support animal, it was only when the airline refused that she then said that she would pay for a ticket for it to get its own seat. that was also turned down.

Cunard do still have kennels on one of their ships. Pets are not allowed in people's own cabins but they can go to the kennel area to visit Lady Fluffy & sir Ralphie.

They have a small part of the deck for walking the dogs and a lounge where the animals can spend time with their pets. Their is a full time animal attendant. It's all very civilised and organised.

These guests pay a premium to travel with their pets.

Anyone can pay a fee and take their small animal (must be in a carrier that fits under the seat and you are not permitted to remove the animal from the carrier during the flight) onto the plane with them. This animal is not required to be a service animal.

Was recently on a flight where the Lady next to me had a dog in a carrier at her feet, not under the seat. This lady thought she would share my foot space!! Hah ,not on a bet,I have big feet and took up every inch! :) The flight attendants said nothing to her but made others move pocketbooks ,bags .

We are booked for two weeks on Allure in April and again in August (took advantage of recent sale!) but hoping we don't continue to see more and more dogs. Below are cruise line policies regarding dogs.

Cruise Line Pet Policies

Contemporary Cruise Lines

• Carnival Cruise Lines-Service dogs are welcome on board. Carnival does not allow live animals onboard other than service animals. Guests must give at least 14 days advance notice if they are bringing a service animal on board.
  • Costa Cruises-No animals of any species or size are allowed on any Costa ship. The only exception is guide dogs for the visually impaired
  • Fred.Olsen Cruise Lines-Fred.Olsen Cruise Lines allows service dogs on board.
  • MSC Cruises-Animals and/or pets other than recognized assistance dogs are not allowed onboard the Vessel under any circumstances without the Carrier’s permission in writing. Any such animals or pets brought onboard by the Passenger without permission will be taken into custody and arrangements will be made for the animal to be landed at the next port of call at the Passenger’s sole expense.
  • P & O Cruises-No animals can be brought on board.

Upscale Contemporary Cruise Lines

• Norwegian Cruise Line -Animals of any kind, except service animals, are not allowed on board.
  • Royal Caribbean International – Royal Caribbean International welcomes service dogs on all ships. They do not accept pets.

Premium Cruise Lines

• Celebrity Cruises-Celebrity warmly welcomes service dogs on all ships except those sailing to the United Kingdom (UK) due to DEFRA regulations. They do not allow pets.
  • Cunard Line-Queen Mary 2’s kennel programme is available on all Transatlantic Crossings between New York and Southampton in either direction, and is managed by a full-time Kennel Master who takes care of responsibilities such as feeding, walking and cleaning the ship’s 12 spacious kennels. Travelling dogs and cats also receive a complimentary gift pack. The kennels and adjacent indoor and outdoor walking areas are open throughout the day, enabling guests to spend significant time with their pets. Reservations for the kennels may be made at time of booking, and are based on availability. Contact Cunard for fees, details and additional requirements. All animals must be in compliance with the Pets Travel Scheme and in possession of a pet passport. Cunard is pleased to permit individuals to bring service animals on board. You must provide notice of this at time of booking. Local laws or customs may prevent animals from disembarking at particular ports or countries. It is the guest’s responsibility to consult local customs authorities for requirements and to obtain all applicable documents and health certificates. Service animals are kept in staterooms with their owners. Non-service animals are only carried on QUEEN MARY 2 Transatlantic Crossings, in kennels, and are not allowed to visit any guest area of the ship.
  • Disney Cruise Line-No animals are allowed on board the ships except for service animals. Disney Cruise Line must be notified at least 72 hours prior to sailing if a service animal is to be brought on board the ship. Many ports of call have strict entry requirements for animals, and you must ensure that your service animal complies with all requirements of each destination. Disney Cruise Line is not responsible for your inability to visit a port of call due to your failure to comply with any such entry requirements.
  • Holland America Line – Service animals are permitted on board Holland America Line ships. Guests may walk their animals on a service deck where a relief area, including padding such as sod or wood chips, can be constructed with advance notification. Also by advance request, the maitre d’ will arrange a convenient table in the dining room with space for the animal on the floor. Guests must supply their own pet food and make arrangements for quarantine papers and port clearances through their travel agent. Guests should be aware that many ports do not allow animals, including service animals, to disembark the ship. Pets are not allowed.
  • Princess Cruises-Service animals are allowed onboard. Entry regulations for service animals vary by port. Passengers are advised to consult authorities at each port prior to departure for more information. Princess does not have food onboard for animals. The choice of dog litter material is limited and varies by ship

Ultra-Premium Cruise Lines

• Azamara Club Cruises-Azamara Club Cruises welcomes service dogs on all ships. They do not accept pets.
  • Oceania Cruises-No pets or other animals, except for certain necessary service animals of a disabled Guest, are allowed on board the Ship, and only allowed when Cruise embarks, disembarks or stops at a United States port. Guests wishing to bring a service animal on board the Ship must notify Carrier at the time of booking Cruise, and must receive Carrier’s written approval. Guest agrees to accept responsibility, reimburse and/or indemnify Carrier for any loss, damage or expense whatsoever related to the presence of any service animal brought on the Cruise, and to determine and meet any documentary or other requirements related to the service animal. Guest further agrees to be solely responsible for providing all food and/or other dietary requirements, medications or medical equipment required by the service animal. Passenger food, medications and/or medical treatment will not be provided by the Ship to any service animals.
  • Windstar Cruises Animals or pets are not allowed with the exception of qualified service animals for guests with disabilities. Please notify your travel professional at time of booking if you intend to board with a service animal

Ultra-Luxury Cruise Lines

• Crystal Cruises-Crystal Cruises understands a service animal to be any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Animals that are not trained to do work or perform tasks are not considered to be service animals. Emotional support animals, which provide emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship to an individual with disabilities but are not trained to do work or perform tasks, are not considered to be service animals. Pets and other animals who are not service animals are not allowed on board the Ship.
  • Hapag Lloyd Cruises-No animals allowed on board
  • Paul Gauguin Cruises-Pets and other animals are not allowed onboard the ship, except for guide dogs and other service animals if appropriate certification is provided to PGC at least 30 days in advance of the scheduled departure. Guests are responsible for making all arrangements for the entry of the service animal into any country visited by the ship.
  • Regent Seven Seas Cruises-No pets or other animals, except for certain necessary service animals of a disabled Guest, are allowed on board the Ship, and only allowed when Cruise embarks, disembarks or stops at a UK or United States port. Guests wishing to bring a service animal on board the Ship must notify Carrier at the time of booking Cruise. Guest agrees to accept responsibility, reimburse and/or indemnify Carrier for any loss, damage or expense whatsoever related to the presence of any service animal brought on the Cruise, and to determine and meet any documentary or other requirements related to the service animal. Guest further agrees to be solely responsible for providing all food and/or other dietary requirements, medications or medical equipment required by the service animal. Passenger food, medications and/or medical treatment will not be provided by the Ship to any service animals.
  • Seabourn-Seabourn only permits service animals on board, defined as those animals that are individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. Guests may not bring pets, therapy/companion animals, and other animals that do not meet the definition of service animals
  • Sea Cloud Cruises-Animals are not permitted on board.
  • SeaDream Yacht Club- No animals will be allowed on the Yacht under any circumstances unless deemed necessary to assist with physical disability
  • Silversea Cruises– Pets cannot be accommodated on any Silversea cruise.

River Cruise Lines

• American Cruise Lines-Animals of any kind may not be brought aboard the Vessel
  • American Queen Steamboat Company No pets or other animals are allowed on board the Ship, except for designated service animals. You are required to provide notification in writing at or prior to the time the cruise is booked if you are intending to bring a service animal aboard.
  • Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection- Pets are not permitted on Uniworld trips.

Sailing Vessels/Yacht Cruise Lines

• Ponant-No animals are allowed on board, including service animals.
  • Star Clippers- Pets are not permitted on board Star Clippers, Ltd.’s vessels.

I think Costa, P&O, Crystal, and Silversea Cruise have it right. We did Crystal once and although expensive it was an amazing cruise with amazing service. Perhaps we will go back to Crystal or try Silversea if cruising turns into a dogfest! The cruise lines, like airlines, have created a mess with their "loose" broad definitions of what a service dog is and with that definition they opened it up for abuse by those just wanting to take their pet with them. It's not right. Service dogs should be those that truly need that animal to assist them, not for "emotional" needs. If your emotions are that fragile stay home with your pet!

We are booked for two weeks on Allure in April and again in August (took advantage of recent sale!) but hoping we don't continue to see more and more dogs. Below are cruise line policies regarding dogs.

Cruise Line Pet Policies

Contemporary Cruise Lines

• Carnival Cruise Lines-Service dogs are welcome on board. Carnival does not allow live animals onboard other than service animals. Guests must give at least 14 days advance notice if they are bringing a service animal on board.
  • Costa Cruises-No animals of any species or size are allowed on any Costa ship. The only exception is guide dogs for the visually impaired
  • Fred.Olsen Cruise Lines-Fred.Olsen Cruise Lines allows service dogs on board.
  • MSC Cruises-Animals and/or pets other than recognized assistance dogs are not allowed onboard the Vessel under any circumstances without the Carrier’s permission in writing. Any such animals or pets brought onboard by the Passenger without permission will be taken into custody and arrangements will be made for the animal to be landed at the next port of call at the Passenger’s sole expense.
  • P & O Cruises-No animals can be brought on board.

Upscale Contemporary Cruise Lines

• Norwegian Cruise Line -Animals of any kind, except service animals, are not allowed on board.
  • Royal Caribbean International – Royal Caribbean International welcomes service dogs on all ships. They do not accept pets.

Premium Cruise Lines

• Celebrity Cruises-Celebrity warmly welcomes service dogs on all ships except those sailing to the United Kingdom (UK) due to DEFRA regulations. They do not allow pets.
  • Cunard Line-Queen Mary 2’s kennel programme is available on all Transatlantic Crossings between New York and Southampton in either direction, and is managed by a full-time Kennel Master who takes care of responsibilities such as feeding, walking and cleaning the ship’s 12 spacious kennels. Travelling dogs and cats also receive a complimentary gift pack. The kennels and adjacent indoor and outdoor walking areas are open throughout the day, enabling guests to spend significant time with their pets. Reservations for the kennels may be made at time of booking, and are based on availability. Contact Cunard for fees, details and additional requirements. All animals must be in compliance with the Pets Travel Scheme and in possession of a pet passport. Cunard is pleased to permit individuals to bring service animals on board. You must provide notice of this at time of booking. Local laws or customs may prevent animals from disembarking at particular ports or countries. It is the guest’s responsibility to consult local customs authorities for requirements and to obtain all applicable documents and health certificates. Service animals are kept in staterooms with their owners. Non-service animals are only carried on QUEEN MARY 2 Transatlantic Crossings, in kennels, and are not allowed to visit any guest area of the ship.
  • Disney Cruise Line-No animals are allowed on board the ships except for service animals. Disney Cruise Line must be notified at least 72 hours prior to sailing if a service animal is to be brought on board the ship. Many ports of call have strict entry requirements for animals, and you must ensure that your service animal complies with all requirements of each destination. Disney Cruise Line is not responsible for your inability to visit a port of call due to your failure to comply with any such entry requirements.
  • Holland America Line – Service animals are permitted on board Holland America Line ships. Guests may walk their animals on a service deck where a relief area, including padding such as sod or wood chips, can be constructed with advance notification. Also by advance request, the maitre d’ will arrange a convenient table in the dining room with space for the animal on the floor. Guests must supply their own pet food and make arrangements for quarantine papers and port clearances through their travel agent. Guests should be aware that many ports do not allow animals, including service animals, to disembark the ship. Pets are not allowed.
  • Princess Cruises-Service animals are allowed onboard. Entry regulations for service animals vary by port. Passengers are advised to consult authorities at each port prior to departure for more information. Princess does not have food onboard for animals. The choice of dog litter material is limited and varies by ship

Ultra-Premium Cruise Lines

• Azamara Club Cruises-Azamara Club Cruises welcomes service dogs on all ships. They do not accept pets.
  • Oceania Cruises-No pets or other animals, except for certain necessary service animals of a disabled Guest, are allowed on board the Ship, and only allowed when Cruise embarks, disembarks or stops at a United States port. Guests wishing to bring a service animal on board the Ship must notify Carrier at the time of booking Cruise, and must receive Carrier’s written approval. Guest agrees to accept responsibility, reimburse and/or indemnify Carrier for any loss, damage or expense whatsoever related to the presence of any service animal brought on the Cruise, and to determine and meet any documentary or other requirements related to the service animal. Guest further agrees to be solely responsible for providing all food and/or other dietary requirements, medications or medical equipment required by the service animal. Passenger food, medications and/or medical treatment will not be provided by the Ship to any service animals.
  • Windstar Cruises Animals or pets are not allowed with the exception of qualified service animals for guests with disabilities. Please notify your travel professional at time of booking if you intend to board with a service animal

Ultra-Luxury Cruise Lines

• Crystal Cruises-Crystal Cruises understands a service animal to be any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Animals that are not trained to do work or perform tasks are not considered to be service animals. Emotional support animals, which provide emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship to an individual with disabilities but are not trained to do work or perform tasks, are not considered to be service animals. Pets and other animals who are not service animals are not allowed on board the Ship.
  • Hapag Lloyd Cruises-No animals allowed on board
  • Paul Gauguin Cruises-Pets and other animals are not allowed onboard the ship, except for guide dogs and other service animals if appropriate certification is provided to PGC at least 30 days in advance of the scheduled departure. Guests are responsible for making all arrangements for the entry of the service animal into any country visited by the ship.
  • Regent Seven Seas Cruises-No pets or other animals, except for certain necessary service animals of a disabled Guest, are allowed on board the Ship, and only allowed when Cruise embarks, disembarks or stops at a UK or United States port. Guests wishing to bring a service animal on board the Ship must notify Carrier at the time of booking Cruise. Guest agrees to accept responsibility, reimburse and/or indemnify Carrier for any loss, damage or expense whatsoever related to the presence of any service animal brought on the Cruise, and to determine and meet any documentary or other requirements related to the service animal. Guest further agrees to be solely responsible for providing all food and/or other dietary requirements, medications or medical equipment required by the service animal. Passenger food, medications and/or medical treatment will not be provided by the Ship to any service animals.
  • Seabourn-Seabourn only permits service animals on board, defined as those animals that are individually trained to provide assistance to an individual with a disability. Guests may not bring pets, therapy/companion animals, and other animals that do not meet the definition of service animals
  • Sea Cloud Cruises-Animals are not permitted on board.
  • SeaDream Yacht Club- No animals will be allowed on the Yacht under any circumstances unless deemed necessary to assist with physical disability
  • Silversea Cruises– Pets cannot be accommodated on any Silversea cruise.

River Cruise Lines

• American Cruise Lines-Animals of any kind may not be brought aboard the Vessel
  • American Queen Steamboat Company No pets or other animals are allowed on board the Ship, except for designated service animals. You are required to provide notification in writing at or prior to the time the cruise is booked if you are intending to bring a service animal aboard.
  • Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection- Pets are not permitted on Uniworld trips.

Sailing Vessels/Yacht Cruise Lines

• Ponant-No animals are allowed on board, including service animals.
  • Star Clippers- Pets are not permitted on board Star Clippers, Ltd.’s vessels.

I think Costa, P&O, Crystal, and Silversea Cruise have it right. We did Crystal once and although expensive it was an amazing cruise with amazing service. Perhaps we will go back to Crystal or try Silversea if cruising turns into a dogfest! The cruise lines, like airlines, have created a mess with their "loose" broad definitions of what a service dog is and with that definition they opened it up for abuse by those just wanting to take their pet with them. It's not right. Service dogs should be those that truly need that animal to assist them, not for "emotional" needs. If your emotions are that fragile stay home with your pet!

Great informative post.

Service dogs are amazing animals.

It actually scares me that people are abusing this. Someone was mauled, in the face, by an "emotional support animal" on a plane sitting on the lap of a man in the next seat. He needed 28 stitches. That is an absolute nightmare.

I was attacked by a dog when I was 10. I can't be near dogs that bark or growl and even the calm ones scare me. Why should I have to be the one to get off the plane?

I can honestly say though that I've never been scared by a real service dog. They don't even look at you.

I have never seen any service animals on any of our 45 cruises the vast majority of which were in European waters.

I have been flying for 50 years and also have never seen any service animals on any flight.

I believe British quarantine laws are very strict against Rabies which is not in Britain and any animals are kept in the airplanes hold.

There was one on my last cruise out of the uk first one ive ever saw. As long as the dog has its own passport, insurance has all its jags, has rabies and other disease free certificates and is travelling to other rabies free destinations in this case Norway and the dog is a registered assistance dog then it can travel. In this case he was guide dog for a visually impaired passenger. He was lovely actually I sat in Awe at him walking up and down the stairs in the show lounge every evening he was amazing.

There was one on my last cruise out of the uk first one ive ever saw. As long as the dog has its own passport, insurance has all its jags, has rabies and other disease free certificates and is travelling to other rabies free destinations in this case Norway and the dog is a registered assistance dog then it can travel. In this case he was guide dog for a visually impaired passenger. He was lovely actually I sat in Awe at him walking up and down the stairs in the show lounge every evening he was amazing.

My neighbour has a wonderful guide dog as she is registered blind.