Dog on ship

Cunard do still have kennels on one of their ships. Pets are not allowed in people's own cabins but they can go to the kennel area to visit Lady Fluffy & sir Ralphie.

They have a small part of the deck for walking the dogs and a lounge where the animals can spend time with their pets. Their is a full time animal attendant. It's all very civilised and organised.

These guests pay a premium to travel with their pets.

Kennels won't happen. Pretty sure Cunard has them ONLY for use in TransAtlantic. They are limited in numbers. Most lines would prefer use all that Kennel and walking space for a dozen passenger cabins or more...

I didn't realize the "service pets" had made it to the cruise ships. I work for a major airline and its totally out of control. It is to the point that it is ruining it for the folks that truely need a service animal (a real service animal...not a pet).

It's been out of control on cruise ships too!

One of the least externally obvious forms of service dogs are those that alert someone who has a hearing impairment to sounds. Perhaps this was one of those.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Then why were different people carrying it around at different times? A service dog is trained to serve one person not 6 or 7 people!

They may have been able to classify the dog as a service dog, not as a pet, in relation to a particular disability of a guest.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

A service dog is trained to serve one person. If the dog was being carried by different people at different times I seriously doubt it was a service dog....

I have also been on several cruises where there have been dogs that are underfeet (I nearly tripped over one) and pooping and the owners expect the crew to clean it up. Next time I see this I will be taking pictures/ video and start posting it here and on Facebook. I will also send it in to Michael Bayley's office. We need to take a stand and start doing something ourselves. Start sending in those pictures/videos and let them know there are more mad people about this than there are the people that bring on the "esa". Hopefully they will start to do something about it.

Folks haven't any problem telling me I can't smoke my emotional cigar anywhere I want but let the snowflake next to me bring a ball of fur in a purse and that's o.k.? I even have a doctors certificate stating I NEED MY CIGARS to calm my nerves; what about my emotional support? I feel totally discriminated against!

Sad state of affairs indeed. What kind of person exploits a definition for a service animal, that was intended for those truly needing it, for their own "emotional" needs or convenience? I know my word for it but probably shouldn't use it here on these boards. Maybe they are part of the entitled crowd but whatever the reason it says something about that person. I personally am tired of it, tired of dog urine on the public decks, poop on the public deck, dogs in the dining rooms/Windjammer, tired of seeing dogs urinating on the pier at ports, and tired of seeing crew clean up the mess the owners should be cleaning up. Like smoking in indoor spaces RCCL better get a handle on this soon or they will start alienating many to satisfy the "needs" of the few. Sound familiar?

Sad state of affairs indeed. What kind of person exploits a definition for a service animal, that was intended for those truly needing it, for their own "emotional" needs or convenience? I know my word for it but probably shouldn't use it here on these boards. Maybe they are part of the entitled crowd but whatever the reason it says something about that person. I personally am tired of it, tired of dog urine on the public decks, poop on the public deck, dogs in the dining rooms/Windjammer, tired of seeing dogs urinating on the pier at ports, and tired of seeing crew clean up the mess the owners should be cleaning up. Like smoking in indoor spaces RCCL better get a handle on this soon or they will start alienating many to satisfy the "needs" of the few. Sound familiar?

I know people who have bought service dog vests off of Amazon for their pets just so they could bring the dog anywhere with them. Entitled is correct and it infuriates me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

If you emotionally can't cope with being separated from your emotional support dog, don't cruise and maybe go and take some ******.......

Real support animals costs thousands of dollars to train.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you emotionally can't cope with being separated from your emotional support dog, don't cruise and maybe go and take some ******.......

I think their needs to be a distinction between emotional support dogs and other service animals.

Don’t all of us who buy pets do so because they make us feel better?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Rather I think we need to compromise with regard to matters of medical privacy. I think it is worthwhile to have a standard whereby such accommodations are called for only when certified as necessary by a physician or psychologist and for such certifications to be subject to accreditation so that your buddy can't certify your need with impunity.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I have been on a cruise already where there was a service dog for someone in a wheelchair. The dog behaved better than some people. I know someone that trains service dogs. They said even a comfort/companion dog must undergo training. She said the first step to a fake is when the dog is carried. The rule is “all four on the floor” meaning the dog always has all four feet on the floor. They don’t bark, they don’t jump, they don’t steal food, they don’t nip or bite at people or other pets. I agree it is way out of control. I think all dogs should have to have certificates of training and approved through ADA. That will stop all the fakes. I’m not an animal hater, I have a lab and 2 cats but they don’t belong on a cruise ship unless they are a true service dog!!

I have been on a cruise already where there was a service dog for someone in a wheelchair. The dog behaved better than some people. I know someone that trains service dogs. They said even a comfort/companion dog must undergo training. She said the first step to a fake is when the dog is carried. The rule is “all four on the floor” meaning the dog always has all four feet on the floor. They don’t bark, they don’t jump, they don’t steal food, they don’t nip or bite at people or other pets. I agree it is way out of control. I think all dogs should have to have certificates of training and approved through ADA. That will stop all the fakes. I’m not an animal hater, I have a lab and 2 cats but they don’t belong on a cruise ship unless they are a true service dog!!

First off, the ADA specifically allows service animals to be in two places, the floor, or carried in their owner's arms, so your friend is mistaken about that. Some service dogs need to be near their owner's mouth, for diabetes detection. Secondly, there is no certification for training, nor requirement for training called out by the ADA for service animals. Finally, ESA's are not even covered by the ADA, and under the two acts that provide access for ESA's, the ACAA and the FHA, neither one requires certification or training.

As I've said many times even in this thread, none of the acts that protect access to service animals or ESA's, prohibit a property owner from having the animal and owner removed if the animal is out of control or poorly behaved.

Thanks for the clarification of what a true service dogs characteristics should be.

If you read the ADA website, which I practically have memorized at this point, the service Dog doesn’t tNOT have to have any formal, expensive training. In fact the owner can train the dog themselves to perform a specific task to assist with their disability. There is no requirement that says the dog has to go through any expensive training to be qualified as a service dog.

If you read the ADA website, which I practically have memorized at this point, the service Dog doesn’t tNOT have to have any formal, expensive training. In fact the owner can train the dog themselves to perform a specific task to assist with their disability. There is no requirement that says the dog has to go through any expensive training to be qualified as a service dog.

I wonder if my friend still has the dog that gets beer from the fridge? That would be a great task to assist with laziness.

It is very easy for fully functional, non-disabled people to marginalize the reality that more functionally-challenged people face. It's the same kind of scenario as when men marginalized the reality that women in society faced; and the same kind of scenario as when people with white privilege marginalized the reality that racial, religious and ethic minorities face. The only difference is that in those situations exploitation through deception was not as readily possible. The fact that some people engage in deception to insinuate for themselves advantages that they do not actually need does not nullify the reality that other people have genuine needs.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.