Dog on ship

The bold paragraph above, shows just some of the on-board income opportunities with a ship which is geared to pet travelers. Within the hospitality industry, is is an ever growing segment. You know, many pet parents consider the follow to be true: "pets are people too..."
Would there be a dog drink package? How would this impact Cat's on the Oasis? Would Central Park become a dog park? Can dog's ride the flow rider, if a waiver is signed of course?

Seriously, where in the hospitality industry is this a growing segment? Hotels take pets, some dog provide relief areas, but know one targets this as a segment. Unless you mean restaurants.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

To all who have commented on this thread questioning if the dog is legitimate , has documentation and or wearing an approved vest to authenticate that it's a trained service or companion animal be advised that :

• ADA does not require that service animals be certified (documented) as service animals.
  • ADA does not mandate that service animals have to be trained by a professional trainer and or organization. In fact ADA allows the owner/end user to train the animal.
  • ADA does not require service animals to wear a vest, ID tag, or specific harness.
  • Because of the above it's hard for any organization , company , cruise line , etc to crack down on the abuse.

Regarding those on this thread that have referenced that Cruise Lines should impose the same restrictions that Delta has recently implemented know that ADA under the USA Department of Justice regarding service animals and or companion dogs does not apply to air carriers . Rather Air Carriers such as Delta are governed by the USA. Department of Transportation Air Carrier Access Act in regards to service , companion and emotional support.

The Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA) recognizes emotional support animals as service animals. The caveat is that under ACAA that only applies to persons with disabilities with a service animal OR with an emotional support animal. The ACAA ruling regarding emotional support animals does not apply to all persons with mental illness. Being that Delta allows dogs, cats and household birds in the cabin for a $125.00 and numerous other classifications of animals in the cargo area for a fee passengers don't want to pay the money so instead passengers claims it's a service, companion or emotion support animal resulting in Delta loosing revenue. Thus the more likely reason for the change in policy.

ADA only applies in it's entirety to ships that sail strictly in the USA such as NCL's Pride of America based in Hawaii, ADA only applies to Foreign Flagged ships in regards to the build out specification of the public areas of the ship and at that the USA Congress/Senate has no established build out guidelines to date. The Air Carrier Access Act does not apply to cruise ships. Therefore it's highly unlikely that anything will change soon regarding the issue of cruise line passengers claiming their dog(s) are a service, therapy, companion or emotional support dog and cruise lines not doing anything about as there are no regulations that require the cruise lines to do so.

What a despicable story, if indeed accurate. However, the OP does bring up a valid point. There is a disproportionate amount of pets being portrayed as service animals.

To all true individuals who so desperately need there service animals, this is a slap in the face. It undercuts, and diminishes the true need for these four legged caregivers.

The rules are getting too lax to really weed out those people who are to full of S*@t. Another sigh over political correctness. Don’t want to possibly offend a PHONY NARCISSISTIC idiot who does not come close to needing a S.A.

Unreal...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Bravo -- my sentiments exactly!

I applaud Delta’s new policy and I do not see it as a way of generating additional revenue. I have been on flights with these annoying fake “service” pets whose owners allow them to sit on seats, roam around sniffing and worse, rubbing against other passengers legs, and even relieving themselves on the floor. However, pets that are transported in the cabin for a fee are required to be in an approved carrier, under the passenger’s seat. I believe that the airline limits the number of pets on a flight that are transported in this manner. If a pet is claimed to be a service animal, these limits won’t apply.

I didn't realize the "service pets" had made it to the cruise ships. I work for a major airline and its totally out of control. It is to the point that it is ruining it for the folks that truely need a service animal (a real service animal...not a pet).

My mom works for a major airline in DFW and she has to set up all the emotional support animals she says there are so many now it’s crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I applaud Delta’s new policy and I do not see it as a way of generating additional revenue. I have been on flights with these annoying fake “service” pets whose owners allow them to sit on seats, roam around sniffing and worse, rubbing against other passengers legs, and even relieving themselves on the floor. However, pets that are transported in the cabin for a fee are required to be in an approved carrier, under the passenger’s seat. I believe that the airline limits the number of pets on a flight that are transported in this manner. If a pet is claimed to be a service animal, these limits won’t apply.

I agree I breed Westies and if I have to fly a 8 week old puppy yo the new owners I pay at least $100 to have the puppy in a carrier under the seat in front of me plus it counts as a carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The bold paragraph above, shows just some of the on-board income opportunities with a ship which is geared to pet travelers. Within the hospitality industry, is is an ever growing segment. You know, many pet parents consider the follow to be true: "pets are people too..."

Perhaps you were being tongue in cheek as "pet parent" is just as silly as "animals are people, too." People own pets, and pets are chattel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Perhaps you were being tongue in cheek as "pet parent" is just as silly as "animals are people, too." People own pets, and pets are chattel.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Agree with your post. Sure hope RCCL adopts policies similar to the ones Delta Airlines now have.

798d4abe664ec8391378a26ee7ddd9d1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why doesn’t RCI introduce kennels for Little fluffy and Ralphie.

They have this on one of the Cunard queens. It’s not cheap but if being separated from your pets creates so much anxiety in you, pay the price.

I haven't read a lot of this thread so apologise in advance if this has already been brought up.

Surely it's not healthy for a dog to be pushed around in a stroller? Isn't it a bit cruel to make a dog wear a tuxedo? Do they not get fat and sick eating food meant for humans?

But then again --- maybe the fact that these people think it is okay to play dress up with fluffy and push him round in the pram and feed him chocolate - maybe they "do" have emotional disturbances??

I love dogs. And I feel sorry for dogs that are treated like substitute babies.

Glad to see Delta, at least, cracking down. We flew out of LaGuardia this past December and I was surprised to see so many dogs of all shapes and sizes in the terminal. While waiting for our plane we were subject to endless yipping, growling and barking from one particular "dust mop" dog, who didn't like any other dog in his area of seats. This resulted in return barks & growls from the other dogs. I was half expecting to hear roosters crowing, pigs oinking and cows mooing, but then I reminded myself that we were in NYC and not a 3rd world country.

There are many people who have allergies to dogs and they should have to be in an enclosed area with pet hair and dander. There are people who have had a lifetime fear of dogs. What about their "emotional support"?

Legitimate service dogs lay calmly next to their owners and do not engage with other dogs around them, barely noticeable - they go through MONTHS of training NOT to be a regular dog. The travel industry in general must crack down on these quasi-service pets. If someone REALLY needs a service dog, they should go through the right channels to get a legitimately trained service animal.

Glad to see Delta, at least, cracking down. We flew out of LaGuardia this past December and I was surprised to see so many dogs of all shapes and sizes in the terminal. While waiting for our plane we were subject to endless yipping, growling and barking from one particular "dust mop" dog, who didn't like any other dog in his area of seats. This resulted in return barks & growls from the other dogs. I was half expecting to hear roosters crowing, pigs oinking and cows mooing, but then I reminded myself that we were in NYC and not a 3rd world country.

There are many people who have allergies to dogs and they should have to be in an enclosed area with pet hair and dander. There are people who have had a lifetime fear of dogs. What about their "emotional support"?

Legitimate service dogs lay calmly next to their owners and do not engage with other dogs around them, barely noticeable - they go through MONTHS of training NOT to be a regular dog. The travel industry in general must crack down on these quasi-service pets. If someone REALLY needs a service dog, they should go through the right channels to get a legitimately trained service animal.

Very well said.822dc2bad4e0303d6c9cfa98154242e9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why doesn’t RCI introduce kennels for Little fluffy and Ralphie.

They have this on one of the Cunard queens. It’s not cheap but if being separated from your pets creates so much anxiety in you, pay the price.

I think one of the reasons that Little Fluffy and Ralphie are brought on cruises is that their owners are too cheap to pay kennel fees or a dog sitter to leave them at home.

Read an interesting article recently about people who think the rules don't apply to them. It was a psychological study, can't find the link. Basically the study found that the people who routinely perform petty acts of rule-breaking (parking in handicapped spots, cutting in front of people in lines, cheating on their taxes, smoking on balconies, pretending their cat is an "emotional service animal") really believe that the rules harm them. In their minds, they are the victim of the rules, so they are right to break them. There is zero guilt or consideration of impact to other people. Like mild sociopathy.

I guarantee at least a few people reading this right now do the "ESA" scam with a pet and are incapable of understanding that it's wrong.

Here you go. An oldie, but a goodie. Frequently mentioned in those favorite threads of all times posts, right up there with the Starfish thread (no longer available).

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1592452

Interesting referenced thread. Many of the points In that oldie thread are also included in this thread.

This is a pet peeve of mine as I’ve worked with people with disabilities for all of my adult life. Yes, there are many reasons to have a legitimate service dog (not just blind or Deaf). There are also many entitled people who think that because they have a well behaved dog, they can throw a vest on him/her and voila!! They can bring their dog along. I personally know people like this. Drives me insane.

I am wondering in all sincerity if the cruise ships aren’t registered with the US and international water laws apply, does the ADA apply on cruise ships? I’m honestly curious about this.

I am wondering in all sincerity if the cruise ships aren’t registered with the US and international water laws apply, does the ADA apply on cruise ships? I’m honestly curious about this.

Here's my post from many pages back in this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53369725&postcount=69

As I stated there, and in many posts regarding phony service animals, the cruise lines can set their own shipboard policies and procedures for handling of service animals, per the Spector ruling, and I've seen on this thread, or another, can't remember, that RCI does have a service animal code of conduct. What I feel needs to be done is to have this adopted by all CLIA cruise lines, and incorporated into the cruise ticket contract just like the guest code of conduct is. This, however, will not remove the ability of a passenger who is removed from a ship from bringing suit against the cruise line, which the cruise line will have to spend money on to defend, regardless of whether the case had any merit in the first place. This is why the cruise lines will not enforce these rules.

And just a note on international maritime law, when a Bahamian flag ship is in international waters, Bahamian law applies on the ship. International maritime law only impacts the interaction of ships of two nations.

I also am in favor of charging extra for service dogs not associated with and certified for blind passengers.

Illegal to do so for a couple of reasons...

Also, if you read that directive from the Justice Dept. the only animals that are allowed to be service animals are dogs and in some cases, miniature horses. No cats, monkeys or anything else.

https://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

Funny story, I worked in a supermarket years ago and there was a woman who came in all the timewith a parakeet perched on her shoulder. It really didn't bother anything but I asked one of the other long time employees if they knew what was up with the bird. He told me the woman came in with paperwork from her doctor stating the bird had something to do with balance in her neck muscles. I laughed because I actually knew the ADA and my the Store manager obviously did not but then he wasn't too bright in a lot of area.

Service dogs are well trained. They do not bark at people or urinate or defecate anywhere except where they are supposed to. I’m sick of people trying to smuggle yappy little dogs on airplanes and cruise ships, saying they are service dogs. BS!! Something needs to be done, as it ruins it for people with true needs and real service dogs! People need to start leaving little Fluffy home! What’s next? Cats on ships??