Dog on ship

I don't know if RCI's lawyers would allow them to do this but I think there should be some paragraphs in the Code of Conduct that if violated get a warning, then a stronger warning and then kicked off the ship. They do this for unruly adults and kids.

Behaviors would include:

• Animals relieving themselves anywhere but the designated area.
  • Animals eating in the dining room (some people even have them sitting at the table in chairs).
  • Excessive barking especially if being left in the stateroom alone.
  • Biting other passengers
  • Attacking other animals.

As real assistance or service dogs/animals are trained to not exhibit the above behaviors, it would screen out the assistance animals that are legitimate.

(I left out the cute little outfits and the strollers)

I'd add sitting on furniture.

On Liberty this guy always had his fluffy little non-support dog on its own chair every evening in various bars. Hate to be the one in a nice outfit that sat there next and wore all the dog hair to dinner. The guy's sense of entitlement and disrespect for others did irk me.

On Liberty this guy always had his fluffy little non-support dog on its own chair every evening in various bars. Hate to be the one in a nice outfit that sat there next and wore all the dog hair to dinner. The guy's sense of entitlement and disrespect for others did irk me.

That is specifically mentioned in Royals documentation regarding service animals as something NOT allowed. Yes many people feel entitled, but it is really Royal who should enforce their own rules. Yes they have let service animals on board (real or fake), but why don't they simply enforce their own policy?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Did you know that small dogs like chihuahuas can detect an upcoming asthma attack? Some smaller dogs can detect impending seizures, some can be for PTSD symptoms (and not PTSD is from military). Unless it caused another passenger problems, and until we know what the true circumstances are, view the animals as true service animals. It really doesn’t hurt you to give the benefit of the doubt.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did you know that small dogs like chihuahuas can detect an upcoming asthma attack? Some smaller dogs can detect impending seizures, some can be for PTSD symptoms (and not PTSD is from military). Unless it caused another passenger problems, and until we know what the true circumstances are, view the animals as true service animals. It really doesn’t hurt you to give the benefit of the doubt.

Most of our cruises have been in Europe or Arabia and i have never ever seen any service dogs or fluffys on any of our 45 cruises on RCI,Princess,P&O,NCL or sun cruises.

From my post #655 further up the thread:

"I don't think most here are disputing that small breed dogs can be service animals. I am saying that a service animal is legally only allowed to be in one of two places: on the floor, or in the owner's arms. Placing a dog in a stroller or on chairs is a sure sign the dog is not a trained service animal."

So, any animal kept in a stroller, placed on furniture, that barks without reason, or that is distracted by people passing by or doing things, does not meet the ADA requirements for good behavior, let alone the cruise ship's policies. Things like dressing a dog up in foo-foo outfits is also a distraction from their job, and is an indicator that the dog and its owner are faking. So, no, I would not "give the benefit of the doubt" when the signals are there for everyone to see.

From my post #655 further up the thread:

"I don't think most here are disputing that small breed dogs can be service animals. I am saying that a service animal is legally only allowed to be in one of two places: on the floor, or in the owner's arms. Placing a dog in a stroller or on chairs is a sure sign the dog is not a trained service animal."

So, any animal kept in a stroller, placed on furniture, that barks without reason, or that is distracted by people passing by or doing things, does not meet the ADA requirements for good behavior, let alone the cruise ship's policies. Things like dressing a dog up in foo-foo outfits is also a distraction from their job, and is an indicator that the dog and its owner are faking. So, no, I would not "give the benefit of the doubt" when the signals are there for everyone to see.

Another very sensible informative post

Most of our cruises have been in Europe or Arabia and i have never ever seen any service dogs or fluffys on any of our 45 cruises on RCI,Princess,P&O,NCL or sun cruises.

Same here. All my cruises have been in Europe and I have seen a dog on a ship. The only dogs I have seen are on Transatlantic crossings and they are kept in the kennels and on the designated deck. Many years back dog shows were organised on transatlantic crossings with prizes for various categories.

I dread to think what the paperwork must be like if the cruise visits many different countries. Do the dogs and their owners stay on the ship at port stops?

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on 2 cruises where there was a service dog. Neither dog caused any issues that I was aware of, one ship was Grandeur so we saw that dog quite a bit. Both owners had obvious disabilities, a wheelchair bound girl and a man with mobility issues.

I realize disabilities cannot always be seen, and I usually assume people with service dogs are legitimate. As people have posted, you can tell by the way the owners treat the dog - dressing them up, treating them like children. It irritates me, because it makes some people question the authenticity of all service dogs.

I admit to not having read all 682 posts, so I'm sorry if this has been discussed.

I keep seeing Facebook posts about people taking pigs, turkeys, chickens, etc. on airplanes claiming they were emotional support animals. I wonder how long it will be before someone tries this on a cruise ship.

That is specifically mentioned in Royals documentation regarding service animals as something NOT allowed. Yes many people feel entitled, but it is really Royal who should enforce their own rules. Yes they have let service animals on board (real or fake), but why don't they simply enforce their own policy?

I don't think anyone would disagree with the fact that Royal should enforce their rules. That they should....but the reason that many companies are lax in enforcing their own rules is that they don't want to alienate that paying customer. They want the cruiser to be aware of the rules and abide by the rules VOLUNTARILY. Well voluntarily doesn't always happens. When Royal doesn't enforce their own rules, they are taking the chance that other passengers will be so upset that they won't cruise with Royal again.....it is a tough dilemna. It puts staff in difficult situations. YES, Royal should enforce their own rules.

I have been reading this thread and never thought I could add anything that hasn't already been said, but I want to share a horrifying experience that happened early this morning that might make everyone think twice about critising others when you don't know the facts.

About 6:00 am our 5 pound Yorkie began barking like crazy and just wouldn't stop....running from one to the other. My husband was unconscious and having seizures caused by low blood sugar.......it was truly amazing how she sensed what was happening and alerted both of us. Thankfully the paramedics were able to revive him and he was back home from the ER in a few hours. Without her alert, the outcome would have been devastating.

We are still reeling and not sure if we can continue to travel. If we do, and you happen to see us with a tiny fluff ball named Baby, please feel free to ask what service she performs.....we will proudly share with you all of the details of how she is a diabetic/seizure alert dog and saved his life. Of course we will get her ADA certified and follow all of the rules.

On Allure there was a man with a big German Shepherd. The dog jumped up and down and sat on the Banquette in Dazzles. I'm highly allergic and would not be happy if I sat on a piece of furniture where any animal had been sitting. When I asked at Guest Services about this I was told each venue was sanitized every night after closing. The next day I went back into Dazzles to see and there was lots of dog hair on the vinyl Banquette. So much for cleaning....

I have been reading this thread and never thought I could add anything that hasn't already been said, but I want to share a horrifying experience that happened early this morning that might make everyone think twice about critising others when you don't know the facts.

About 6:00 am our 5 pound Yorkie began barking like crazy and just wouldn't stop....running from one to the other. My husband was unconscious and having seizures caused by low blood sugar.......it was truly amazing how she sensed what was happening and alerted both of us. Thankfully the paramedics were able to revive him and he was back home from the ER in a few hours. Without her alert, the outcome would have been devastating.

We are still reeling and not sure if we can continue to travel. If we do, and you happen to see us with a tiny fluff ball named Baby, please feel free to ask what service she performs.....we will proudly share with you all of the details of how she is a diabetic/seizure alert dog and saved his life. Of course we will get her ADA certified and follow all of the rules.

Glad to hear your husband is alright, and kudos to your dog.

This is from the website. I don't know if it is incorporated into the cruise docs.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=service_animals

"Service dogs are permitted to accompany the person with a disability in all public areas, including dining venues. While in public areas, service dogs must be on a leash, harness or other restraining device. Due to health regulations, service dogs are not permitted in pools, whirlpools or spas"

"Note that the ship's staff is not required to care for the dog, nor can the dog be left in the stateroom unattended."

"Guests are responsible for the behavior or damage caused by their service dog. A cleaning fee may be charged to the guest's shipboard account."

"If the service dog's behavior creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to safety, the dog may be denied boarding or removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense. Examples include: growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crewmembers, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc."

There is not a lot that can be done to challenge or restrict boarding, but there is a lot that can be done about behavior. Royal has to choose to enforce it. There are provisions about restraints, barking, etc. Problem is they don't seem to enforce it. I have no idea why.

Happy Holidays everyone, and to your dog's as well.

Lots of reasons here to put Little Fluffy, who relieves herself at Guest Serices and barks incessently while left alone in the cabin, and her owner off the ship at the next port.

I have been on 2 cruises where there was a service dog. Neither dog caused any issues that I was aware of, one ship was Grandeur so we saw that dog quite a bit. Both owners had obvious disabilities, a wheelchair bound girl and a man with mobility issues.

I realize disabilities cannot always be seen, and I usually assume people with service dogs are legitimate. As people have posted, you can tell by the way the owners treat the dog - dressing them up, treating them like children. It irritates me, because it makes some people question the authenticity of all service dogs.

These are examples of the people who need Service/assistance dogs that Little Fluffy's owner is endangering.

The solution to this is easy. In Europe authorities, airlines and cruise lines are allowed to verify if documents and disabilities are valid and true. In the US you can fake it and no one is willing to check due to discrimination risks. I learnt how this works from a young lady who is totally healthy with a big black dog that always travels with her in the passenger cabin on planes and on ships, trains and in Restaurants in the US. The service dog documents are printed from the internet. Not even the police have verified them for years...

We are pleased he is now fine and to hear your dog was a lifesaver.

My late mam had type 2 diabetes so i can empathise with you.

Merry Xmas and a happy new year.

Please note that we are pet owners and enjoy both dogs & cats. We also make sure they are well cared for during our travels/cruises (at home).

That said, one has to question why dogs & cats are even permitted in airplane and cruise ship passenger areas - there are an estimated 15% of people who have allergies, some severe, originating from the dander of such pets. So it's as much a health issue as anything else.

It's far more blatant a questionable practice on airplanes, where 1/2 the air is re-circulated onboard...but applies to cruise ships as well , since cabins are cleaned but not sanitized from pets in cabins.

We get the care-dog thing, but folks bringing their pooch around the ship and even the MDR is simply selfish, thoughtless, and ridiculous.

Please note that we are pet owners and enjoy both dogs & cats. We also make sure they are well cared for during our travels/cruises (at home).

That said, one has to question why dogs & cats are even permitted in airplane and cruise ship passenger areas - there are an estimated 15% of people who have allergies, some severe, originating from the dander of such pets. So it's as much a health issue as anything else.

It's far more blatant a questionable practice on airplanes, where 1/2 the air is re-circulated onboard...but applies to cruise ships as well , since cabins are cleaned but not sanitized from pets in cabins.

We get the care-dog thing, but folks bringing their pooch around the ship and even the MDR is simply selfish, thoughtless, and ridiculous.

I agree totally. Some people are very selfish while others do the right thing and make alternative arrangements for their pets care when they go on a cruise or other holiday.

• 4 weeks later...

Hopefully it will go smoothly for Delta. If so maybe Royal and other businesses will have the guts to confront the sham artists and put an end to “bring your pet on your cruise.” If it results in only legitimate “service dogs” being allowed on board that would be great. No more puddles or land mines lying in wait in public areas. No more cute little flea bags sitting on their owners lap being fed from the table. No more yapping mutts in the cabin next door that bark every time they hear a door open or close.

On our Serenade cruise this past December there was a Veteran with his service dog. The dog wore her service animal vest and stayed under his chair until given a command otherwise.

I thought all service animals behaved this way and that they all had to wear the official service animal vest. I have no problem with official service animals, it's the ones that are obviously not one and are treated like they deserve to be fed from the table.

And I have no problem with this whatsoever. Glad your husband is okay. I have type two diabetes also so I completely understand. And...you are following the rules to get her certified!

If different people were carrying the dog around, it is unlikely it was a true service dog. It is unfortunate that some people circumvent and abuse the rules.

Agreed! Any service dogs I have seen with their vests and seen programs about aren't of the "carry around" size. I am used to the PTSD dogs which are medium to large size but most are not a purebred breed .