Dog on ship

This widely held belief comes from the fact that when a Pit Bull Terrier, and similar Bully breeds bite onto an object they are often very determined to hang on as long as possible.

From K9 Magazine:

Q) Do Pit Bulls have locking jaws?

A) No. Their jaw is anatomically no different to other dogs. There is no ‘locking mechanism’ and they do not have this infamous ability lock their jaws when biting. In fact, the Pit Bull does not even possess the most powerful bite in the domestic dog world. Here’s some light reading, further dispelling the Pit Bull locking jaw myth:

Dr. Brisbin, as well as the other experts, testified that
pit bulls do not have locking jaws
. Based on actual dog dissections and measurement of their skulls, the evidence demonstrated that pit bull jaw muscles and bone structure are the same as other similarly sized dogs.
No evidence was presented to demonstrate that a pit bull’s bite is any stronger than other dogs of its size and build
. He stated that, contrary to information relied upon and perpetuated by earlier case law and law review articles, assertions that a pit bull can bite with a “force of 2,000 pounds per square inch” have absolutely no basis in fact or scientific proof. The testing of dog bite strength has never been done, and would be difficult if not impossible to perform.

In fact, a locking jaw in any dog is considered a cause for veterinary intervention. The notion that certain breeds such as Pit Bulls can perform this function is plain wrong.

Thanks.

I just googled and indeed what you say is true and i have learned something new.

OT I know. my apologies.

No laughing here.

Why continue to breed these? For what end? Because I can? Because I can handle them? because I am smart, kind, understand dig, because I'm tough, ...

They can be lovely animals. Some are abused, some are gentle, some are ??? I've known a few. But so what. There are already too many dogs (and way too many cats) so why even do this?

http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/montreal-woman-55-killed-in-apparent-dog-attack

"As I approached I noticed it was playing with a large object,”Benzenati told the Montreal Gazette Thursday. “Then I saw hair. I approached further and that’s when I saw the body, the body of a woman, inert, motionless.

Neighbors dog... hole in fence.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/virginia-woman-killed-pitbulls-grisly-mauling-article-1.3703517

A 22 year-old Virginia woman was mauled to death by her dogs while walking them in the woods near her home, authorities said Friday

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2016/07/16/pit-bull-attack-detroit/87204668/

A 71-year-old southwest Detroit woman was attacked and killed by her own pit bull dog Saturday night, police said.

These were on page one results if a search. Were they all abused animals? Does it matter to those who have been horribly mauled to death?

Thank you for this feedback.

In my city a father was jailed for 18 months a few days ago for not keeping his pit bull under control.

His 3 weeks old baby was mauled to death by the dog in their home.

Let's face it, a massive amount of self-entitled people have to have their fur babies so they rode the coat tails of those dealt a more unfortunate hand in life and have a genuine need for service animals. The world revolves around them and, by God, if they want to let their pet pit bull eat your kid while lying straight faced about the need to have that pit bull for some completely fabricated "problem", that is what they will do. And for those that genuinely need a service animal, respect the animal and others, and do things the right ways, you end up getting lumped in with the guys pushing 4 pound dogs through supermarkets in pink strollers. companies may not be able to confront the fakers, but individual people can. It's a real shame that so many have ruined something so necessary for others to lead a decent daily life.

Well said.

I'm not sure if this is the case in this one incident but some small service dog, such as a Yorkie, can be used to help detect medical conditions such as an on-coming seizure. They also help in detecting epilepsy, PTSD, etc and can save a life.

I don't think most here are disputing that small breed dogs can be service animals. I am saying that a service animal is legally only allowed to be in one of two places: on the floor, or in the owner's arms. Placing a dog in a stroller or on chairs is a sure sign the dog is not a trained service animal.

One of the least externally obvious forms of service dogs are those that alert someone who has a hearing impairment to sounds. Perhaps this was one of those.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Interesting...had not heard about that type.

All the businesses are afraid of being sued by Fluffys owner for discrimination. You, the business, can not even ask for paperwork. All that can be asked is "What service is your dog, ferret, monkey trained to do?" Therefore allowing a large loophole for abusers making it harder for true service animals and their owners.

These animals are pets and not true support animals with no training what so ever.:(

Somehow this fake act of service has to be brought to the surface and exploited for the scam that it is.:evilsmile:

Well said.

Let's face it, a massive amount of self-entitled people have to have their fur babies so they rode the coat tails of those dealt a more unfortunate hand in life and have a genuine need for service animals. The world revolves around them and, by God, if they want to let their pet pit bull eat your kid while lying straight faced about the need to have that pit bull for some completely fabricated "problem", that is what they will do. And for those that genuinely need a service animal, respect the animal and others, and do things the right ways, you end up getting lumped in with the guys pushing 4 pound dogs through supermarkets in pink strollers. companies may not be able to confront the fakers, but individual people can. It's a real shame that so many have ruined something so necessary for others to lead a decent daily life.
Agree.

I'm sure this doesnt add to the post count but it irks me enough to mention it EVERY time people bring up this "service" dog discussion... On a short flight down the east coast (less then 3 hours) an able bodied man brought a rather large dog on a southwest flight, this was some type of labrador which arent tiny to say the least, just walking about uncaged. As this was a Southwest flight I sat about a few rows behind so as not to be disturbed. Once the plane landed and we got off, I noticed my bag was SOPPING wet and reeked of urine. I did have my bag under the seat in front of me, but it appears the dog may have "went" during the flight and it rolled back and my bag was the happy recipient of being dripping in dog pee. I was LIVID... I told Southwest who offered me a $100 voucher to make up for replacing the bag but still... I travel multiple times per month so these days if there is a pet onboard that isnt caged, I sit on the OPPOSITE side of the plan and way far back.

I also have seen people in the MDR with dogs who they feed under the table which I know is not something service pets usually do.

I'm sure this doesnt add to the post count but it irks me enough to mention it EVERY time people bring up this "service" dog discussion... On a short flight down the east coast (less then 3 hours) an able bodied man brought a rather large dog on a southwest flight, this was some type of labrador which arent tiny to say the least, just walking about uncaged. As this was a Southwest flight I sat about a few rows behind so as not to be disturbed. Once the plane landed and we got off, I noticed my bag was SOPPING wet and reeked of urine. I did have my bag under the seat in front of me, but it appears the dog may have "went" during the flight and it rolled back and my bag was the happy recipient of being dripping in dog pee. I was LIVID... I told Southwest who offered me a $100 voucher to make up for replacing the bag but still... I travel multiple times per month so these days if there is a pet onboard that isnt caged, I sit on the OPPOSITE side of the plan and way far back.

I also have seen people in the MDR with dogs who they feed under the table which I know is not something service pets usually do.

Both cases are examples of "service" dogs that aren't.

I don't know if RCI's lawyers would allow them to do this but I think there should be some paragraphs in the Code of Conduct that if violated get a warning, then a stronger warning and then kicked off the ship. They do this for unruly adults and kids.

Behaviors would include:

• Animals relieving themselves anywhere but the designated area.
  • Animals eating in the dining room (some people even have them sitting at the table in chairs).
  • Excessive barking especially if being left in the stateroom alone.
  • Biting other passengers
  • Attacking other animals.

As real assistance or service dogs/animals are trained to not exhibit the above behaviors, it would screen out the assistance animals that are legitimate.

(I left out the cute little outfits and the strollers)

I don't know if RCI's lawyers would allow them to do this but I think there should be some paragraphs in the Code of Conduct that if violated get a warning, then a stronger warning and then kicked off the ship. They do this for unruly adults and kids.

Behaviors would include:

•  

• Animals eating in the dining room (some people even have them sitting at the table in chairs).

As real assistance or service dogs/animals are trained to not exhibit the above behaviors, it would screen out the assistance animals that are legitimate.

Some of that is stated by RC.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Really! I'll have to check my latest E-docs.

Guess they would have to enforce my own rules.

This is from the website. I don't know if it is incorporated into the cruise docs.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=service_animals

"Service dogs are permitted to accompany the person with a disability in all public areas, including dining venues. While in public areas, service dogs must be on a leash, harness or other restraining device. Due to health regulations, service dogs are not permitted in pools, whirlpools or spas"

"Note that the ship's staff is not required to care for the dog, nor can the dog be left in the stateroom unattended."

"Guests are responsible for the behavior or damage caused by their service dog. A cleaning fee may be charged to the guest's shipboard account."

"If the service dog's behavior creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to safety, the dog may be denied boarding or removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense. Examples include: growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crewmembers, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc."

There is not a lot that can be done to challenge or restrict boarding, but there is a lot that can be done about behavior. Royal has to choose to enforce it. There are provisions about restraints, barking, etc. Problem is they don't seem to enforce it. I have no idea why.

Happy Holidays everyone, and to your dog's as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Behaviors would include:

Excellent idea.

This is from the website. I don't know if it is incorporated into the cruise docs.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=service_animals

"Service dogs are permitted to accompany the person with a disability in all public areas, including dining venues. While in public areas, service dogs must be on a leash, harness or other restraining device. Due to health regulations, service dogs are not permitted in pools, whirlpools or spas"

"Note that the ship's staff is not required to care for the dog, nor can the dog be left in the stateroom unattended."

"Guests are responsible for the behavior or damage caused by their service dog. A cleaning fee may be charged to the guest's shipboard account."

"If the service dog's behavior creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to safety, the dog may be denied boarding or removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense. Examples include: growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crewmembers, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc."

There is not a lot that can be done to challenge or restrict boarding, but there is a lot that can be done about behavior. Royal has to choose to enforce it. There are provisions about restraints, barking, etc. Problem is they don't seem to enforce it. I have no idea why.

Happy Holidays everyone, and to your dog's as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the information.