Embarking Earlier than Appointed Time for Disabled Person

Open Mind23

Unfortunately, my father and stepmother chose the wrong embarkation time when they finalized their paperwork for this Sunday's Magic cruise, and they are scheduled a half hour later than the rest of us.

Since my stepmother is disabled (wheelchair) and is with us, do you think they will let my father and stepmother in with us at the earlier time? Or should we just all go together at their later time?

In the past, once the cruise lines have seen she is disabled, they always whisk her straight to the front of the line, but I do not know if the same applies for changing her appointed time.

My understanding is that they no longer give priority to disabled guest. I'm guessing too many people were taking advantage of it to get on early. I would assume you need to wait until the later time if you want to board with them.

My understanding is that they no longer give priority to disabled guest. I'm guessing too many people were taking advantage of it to get on early. I would assume you need to wait until the later time if you want to board with them.

Thanks for the info-terrible that people would pretend to be disabled to get on to the ship early, it really hurts things for those that are truly disabled.

Thanks for the info-terrible that people would pretend to be disabled to get on to the ship early, it really hurts things for those that are truly disabled.

It is terrible. And yet another example of too many people trying to work the system and then everyone experiences the consequences.

Even though the check in time is 30 mins different when you board may be within a few minutes depending on the zone number.

Trust me you all want to board together. Your mom and dad will need family around then to keep others from running them over.

Unless things have changed in the last year, she can get priority boarding and its right after FTTF is called. Thats the way it worked last May for me anyway. Things may have changed and if so, this is news to me. I would call up the special needs dept and tell them she needs wheelchair assistance. Again, this SHOULD get her on board right after FTTF guests are called

If you're referring to check in time, you will need to abide by the time on your boarding passes (or later) unless you are Diamond, Platinum, FTTF, Suite, or take a Carnival transfer. There is no exception for HC that I have seen stated.

As far as boarding, Captain Carnival had posted this on his FB page.

d6bbc075a1b3450e4fc621740edaf755.png

What they actually do at the port will be up to them. But if I'm understanding the OP correctly, they are referring to CHECK IN TIME not actual boarding. Some posters are referring to boarding, not check in.

Unfortunately, many folks are still confusing check-in time with embarkation time. The time you select when you go through the on-line check in procedure is the check-in time and has nothing to do with embarkation, other than the fact that if you check-in earlier, you will get an earlier embarkation zone.

Good luck!

How does one ascertain that someone is faking being disable?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I love when people question my disability. I want to whip my shirt off and tell them see that 3 foot scar on my back, that is where they removed my lung and rib due to a lung disease which has left me very limited lung capacity.

Just because I don't have a leg missing or I am not 98 pounds soaking wet don't assume I don't have a disability.

I actually had a fellow cruiser tell me if I was not so fat I could actually walk, this was because she ignored me in the MDR line for a Sea Day Brunch her entire party walk past me and was trying to get seated first. The hostess heard the conversation and came out and got me from the line and said she was so sorry for the rude behavior of some people.

Another group at the photos kept ignoring me and the first time I just left to see another group of photos until they were done, they came where I had just came and walked right in front of me and I said excuse me, I am looking here, again I got nothing but brutal berating, this time they said they should ban those ..... scooters "all those ..... are rude".

Same cruise where a group of 8 just about started a riot because staff was only allowing mobility cruiser to use the elevators after the muster briefing. That was a nightmare, Staff yelled at me to come back and get on the elevator, I said I don't need this stress, so I left very quickly.

This was a b2b cruise the first cruise I had zero issues, but the 2nd one, there was a gangbanger wedding going on that there was several rude cruisers. Mind you most of the party was very respectful and helpful but some were not.

It got so bad my last sea day I no longer felt safe so I stayed in my cabin most of the day.

I get a FTTF every cruise to avoid issues. I cruise solo and it is a huge issue for me to stand for more than 2 minutes, I am taken on board in a wheel chair and then I get my mobility scooter in the cabin once on board.

Cruising with family you should not have a issue. You can always "borrow" a wheel chair once you get to the port to help board. You may not keep it however, you must rent one for the trip.

Unfortunately, my father and stepmother chose the wrong embarkation time when they finalized their paperwork for this Sunday's Magic cruise, and they are scheduled a half hour later than the rest of us.

Since my stepmother is disabled (wheelchair) and is with us, do you think they will let my father and stepmother in with us at the earlier time? Or should we just all go together at their later time?

In the past, once the cruise lines have seen she is disabled, they always whisk her straight to the front of the line, but I do not know if the same applies for changing her appointed time.

They should.

Carnival no longer has the special needs boarding "zone." Persons with special needs will board with their assigned zones now.

As far a check-in is concerned, they will not allow your parents to check-in at the earlier time. You can check-in later with them, or you might look into getting FTTF for them.

How does one ascertain that someone is faking being disable?

In some situations, people share their "secrets" on how you ask for a wheelchair and the whole family can skip the line. Same as for the airplane to secure your overhead space.

My wife is disabled.

She carries a blue card that states that she is disabled that is issued by the State of Washington along with her Handicap Plates.

Just because you are Social Security Disabled does not mean that you have mobility issues.

Handicap Plates and the Handicap Card are certified by a physician before they can be issued. Handicap plates are only supposed to be issued to those with a mobility issue.

No one should say anything to her about her disability because they may be disabled for their next cruise.

I love when people question my disability. I want to whip my shirt off and tell them see that 3 foot scar on my back, that is where they removed my lung and rib due to a lung disease which has left me very limited lung capacity.

Just because I don't have a leg missing or I am not 98 pounds soaking wet don't assume I don't have a disability.

I actually had a fellow cruiser tell me if I was not so fat I could actually walk, this was because she ignored me in the MDR line for a Sea Day Brunch her entire party walk past me and was trying to get seated first. The hostess heard the conversation and came out and got me from the line and said she was so sorry for the rude behavior of some people.

Another group at the photos kept ignoring me and the first time I just left to see another group of photos until they were done, they came where I had just came and walked right in front of me and I said excuse me, I am looking here, again I got nothing but brutal berating, this time they said they should ban those ..... scooters "all those ..... are rude".

Same cruise where a group of 8 just about started a riot because staff was only allowing mobility cruiser to use the elevators after the muster briefing. That was a nightmare, Staff yelled at me to come back and get on the elevator, I said I don't need this stress, so I left very quickly.

This was a b2b cruise the first cruise I had zero issues, but the 2nd one, there was a gangbanger wedding going on that there was several rude cruisers. Mind you most of the party was very respectful and helpful but some were not.

It got so bad my last sea day I no longer felt safe so I stayed in my cabin most of the day.

I get a FTTF every cruise to avoid issues. I cruise solo and it is a huge issue for me to stand for more than 2 minutes, I am taken on board in a wheel chair and then I get my mobility scooter in the cabin once on board.

Cruising with family you should not have a issue. You can always "borrow" a wheel chair once you get to the port to help board. You may not keep it however, you must rent one for the trip.

I am so sorry you ran into so much awful treatment. People can be so selfish. I had someone tell me once that they wished they could use a cane so they could get priority in line. I told them they could have my cane if they also took the incurable degenerative disease that came with it.

Though JH has posted this some homeport terminals sill have their own disabled passenger processing protocol. At some the port staff will bring or direct those using canes, walkers, kneelies, rollators, wheelchairs, and scooters to specific security and check-in line(s) (not necessarily priority). Usually these queues have less twists and turns to get to the scanner or desk, but unless there is/are a minor(s) in their own cabin only the persons booked to the same cabin as the one that is disabled will be allowed to process in on this special line. Since many times this line tends to be a bit shorter and more direct to the counter than the general lines, most of the time those that are disabled will finish their check-in quicker than others that arrived at the same time that go through the general check-in. This translates in some cases to getting a lower zone # or placement in the boarding line a little further ahead.

BUT things can go another way as well, if many that day are thinking they might "work the system" by requesting disabled boarding assistance (asking for a crew member to push a ship's wheel chair) once at the terminal, the wait for an available crew member can get quite long. This can still be detrimental for those that truly need help getting from the terminal to the ship, especially if they are only waiting for a crew member to push their personal wheel chair or rollator.

If you're referring to check in time, you will need to abide by the time on your boarding passes (or later) unless you are Diamond, Platinum, FTTF, Suite, or take a Carnival transfer. There is no exception for HC that I have seen stated.

As far as boarding, Captain Carnival had posted this on his FB page.

d6bbc075a1b3450e4fc621740edaf755.png

What they actually do at the port will be up to them. But if I'm understanding the OP correctly, they are referring to CHECK IN TIME not actual boarding. Some posters are referring to boarding, not check in.

Though JH has posted this some homeport terminals sill have their own disabled passenger processing protocol. At some the port staff will bring or direct those using canes, walkers, kneelies, rollators, wheelchairs, and scooters to specific security and check-in line(s) (not necessarily priority). Usually these queues have less twists and turns to get to the scanner or desk, but unless there is/are a minor(s) in their own cabin only the persons booked to the same cabin as the one that is disabled will be allowed to process in on this special line. Since many times this line tends to be a bit shorter and more direct to the counter than the general lines, most of the time those that are disabled will finish their check-in quicker than others that arrived at the same time that go through the general check-in. This translates in some cases to getting a lower zone # or placement in the boarding line a little further ahead.

BUT things can go another way as well, if many that day are thinking they might "work the system" by requesting disabled boarding assistance (asking for a crew member to push a ship's wheel chair) once at the terminal, the wait for an available crew member can get quite long. This can still be detrimental for those that truly need help getting from the terminal to the ship, especially if they are only waiting for a crew member to push their personal wheel chair or rollator.

I didn't see where John Heald posted about it, but he could have. The pic I posted was from Captain Carnival (Brian) who is an agent at the Tampa port. He would know how things work. As someone else stated, it may have to do with staggered check in. Before they started that, I did see what you mentioned with the check in lines. But the past couple times I have not and that was with staggered in. One time was the old way of getting your S&S cards at the desk and one was where they were in the mailboxes.

My DH must have wheelchair assistance for embarkation and disembarkation at the home port. There's no way he could make it on the regular ramps.

The way it has worked for us in the past is that we enter the terminal with a check-in time just like everyone else then someone from the company pushes him in a ship wheelchair to the check-in counter.

It may look like we're skipping waiting in line to check-in BUT from check-in we are taken to a waiting area for those needing a "pusher" onto the ship. We then wait our turn for a ship's staff member to come and push him onto the ship. There are normally around 4 staff members "pushing". Only one person may accompany the wheelchair assisted passenger in boarding.

It's been our experience, having used this much needed help for many cruises, we arrive onboard around the time or a little later than others who entered the terminal when we did. I don't think we've ever beaten onto the ship those that arrived at the terminal when we did.

Edited by summersigh

Your parents didn't choose an EMBARKATION time. They chose a CHECK-In time. This is the time that they are allowed into the port building to receive Sail and Sign cards. Embarkation begins as soon as the ship is cleared.

Since your time is half an hour earlier than theirs, you should wait and arrive at the port with your parents then check in with them. Then you'll all receive the same Zone Number.

I was at a restaurant getting ready to go in. A lady walks up as 4 of us are getting out the car and says" is someone really handicapped other wise that's a huge ticket ?" I have had knee replacement and have to sometimes use a cane because I am still having knee issues. So because I am not missing a limb she assumed we just wanted a close parking space! I was so livid but I kept my trap **** not trying to go to jail before my cruise lol

• 2 weeks later...