Silver Wind Northern Europe & British Isles (Norway) July 14-31

WesW

Wes - thanks for your informative interviews with the ship's crew. I was particularly interested in hearing that transition day is the hardest for the laundry crew as I had expected. For some time now, whenever we are on B2B cruises, we never send out laundry on transition day and always leave the do not disturb sign out on our suite so the Butler and Cabin attendant have one less thing to do. It's our small way of showing appreciation (in addition to donating to the Crew Welfare Fund).

Thanks, Wes, for highlighting the 'behind the scenes' people. Very enjoyable and informative. I hope you'll get a tour of engineering (the engine room) in as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For some time now, whenever we are on B2B cruises, we never send out laundry on transition day and always leave the do not disturb sign out on our suite so the Butler and Cabin attendant have one less thing to do. It's our small way of showing appreciation (in addition to donating to the Crew Welfare Fund).

Damn. I've got a B-B-B-B coming up and I'll make sure to not send out laundry on the 3 transition days, but unfortunately I'm changing cabins every single time so I'll be requiring heavy support from my butler.

If I had a choice, though, I'd put out the DND sign on transition days, too.

(Gee, I'm glad I previewed this. Before the preview I wrote "I'll be sure to send out laundry;" that would have gotten me some comments. :) )

Damn. I've got a B-B-B-B coming up and I'll make sure to not send out laundry on the 3 transition days, but unfortunately I'm changing cabins every single time so I'll be requiring heavy support from my butler.

(Gee, I'm glad I previewed this. Before the preview I wrote "I'll be sure to send out laundry;" that would have gotten me some comments. :) )

We did that too (3 cabin changes). Never again.

Spinnaker2/Candy, Tothesunset, zqtchas/Charles & Elaine, Stumblefoot/Brian & Amy, TLCOhio/Terry, Emtsbam/Victoria & Bob, Mleh, Rpfarris/Rick, Rosseau Girl; you're all welcome--tickles our digital fingers as we post to know how appreciative y'all are of the wonderful/attentive to detail work Putra, Jamal, Subaheri, Tondo and Kadek do serving as the Wind's stellar Laundry Team.

zqtchas--yes, two very big thumbs up :).

Stumbleknees--and we have Sun as we are sailing into Svolvaer--we will dock in about 2+ hours. Looking forward to our RIB (Rapid Inflatable Boat) Safari...hoping to spot the beautiful Eagles, whales, and dolpins that are in this area.

Emtbsam--thanks for reminding us all to give generously to the Wind Crew Welfare fund. Speaking of taking care of the Silversea crew.

Learned yesterday that for about the last six months, all SS crew now get 30 min of free internet daily. This welcome morale boost for the crew happened when SS changed IT providers to Telenor. Bravo Silversea--thanks for going above and beyond for the crew.

Mleh--your very welcome and thanks for the great suggestion to profile members of the engineer team. Will speak to the HD (lester, sitting in for Daniel, while Daniel is on vacation with his son). btw..Lester is showing fitness discipline like I have never observed in any HD on any ship we have been on (Regent or SS). He is in the fitness room daily between 5:30pm and 6:30pm.

Rpfarris--Fair Winds and Following seas for your upcoming SS sailings.

We dock in Svolvaer at 8 a.m this morning. So happy the sun is shinning since we will be in a fast moving boat for a hour plus. Highights in Svolvaer include the Lofoton War Museum, Kaviar Factory, and Magic Ice Bar that Silver Spectre showcased on his recent Norwegian Wind thread. Captain (Retired) William Wells our outstanding enrichment lecturer (has been to Norway over two dozen times) let us know yesterday during his lecture that Svolvaer has white sandy pristine beaches, Svolvaer in Norwegian translates to "a chilly fishing village"

Capt. Wells reminded us to look for the "lovely lady" marking the entrance into the Svolvaer harbor. He let us know we may tender vs dock to make way for another behemoth cruise vessel (we are tendering)

Most importantly, he suggested postponing having dinner until after 8 pm tonight as we sail into one of the most spectacular fjords in Norway--Trolljforden (only 358 ft wide). Trolljforden is named after the famous Norway trolls that come out only at night and turn to stone if the trolls are hit by sunlight.

Good Morning Svolvaer, Norway!

A chilly fishing village (Norwegian translation)

Svolvaer is the administrative center (9200 residents) of Nordland County, Norway. Located on the island of Austvagoya in the Lofoten archipelago.

Salt and pepper colored mountains erupt (yep they sure do, pls see snaps below) from the ground behind the pretty port of Svolvaer. The Silversea chronicles states, "you'll never quite get over the majesty of the mountainous backdrop as you explore, although with natural wonders like the rippling Northern lights, the Midnite Sun, and cruising pods of orcas to admire, they are plenty of distractions (in Svolvaer).

e0f417b064cf024806bc3dfa9cecb470.jpg

70658df534562138fab88cab53ba3dd2.jpg

f2c689c3a83ceda6f6ab3c585d2c1411.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We had an outstanding Rapid Inflatable Boat (RIB) Safari among the Lofoten islands late this morning. Please enjoy some RIB Safari snaps taken as we sped among the stunning Lofoten islands, adjacent Svolvaer.

We first found our private RIB boat operator in the Svolvaer city center and noted young teenagers picking up trash. They make coin for this summer duty helping keep Svolvaer spotless. The next photo is Ida suiting up in her "Floatation suit." Then were off--enjoy our safari through our photos:

The internet connection here deep in the Norwegian Fjords prevents me from downloading our safari pix--will try later.

Edited by WesW

Have spectacular snaps to share our our cruise into Norway's Trollfjorden (our singular fav cruise experience--a fab visual feast).

However, let's see if I can post some pix from our RIB Safari in the lofoten islands earlier today:

ae44ab0f70772bb974781dde6cb57aa0.jpg

d5de8b480d066ceefd00064017474486.jpg

39a0ab8bd954fdcf2c7ddf65b0a32614.jpg

8f3779cb944efcb814bdc3c0cdf081f8.jpg

1c7f3d3cad2aab8cd4617857448002b1.jpg

Tonite we experienced the most enjoyable visual feast ever cruising--cruising into the Trolljforden in Norway. Please enjoy some stunning pix:

We had yet another fabulously delish meal in the outstanding Italian restaurant on board the magical Silversea Silver Wind as we continue to experience the enthralling Norwegian ports of call. We enjoyed La Terraza's excellent insalata caprese, pesto pasta, and the always scrumptious Osso bucolic. Thanks to our wonderful sommelierTez,we went with a delightful super Tuscan, 2010 Excelcus by Banfi---full bodied delight in every mouthful.

(Pix in next post)

d6c7f100782f4113739a147637de07d8.jpg

5a76d6b798efa7e3ca9a883e0e3a96aa.jpg

83304f841f8db931271554d5846576fc.jpg

b09dd47fd2211158eed9dc5a3a97cb5d.jpg

9f2bae1b6945ac9ee5843218ef2036a4.jpg

And for some La Terraza cuisine masterpieces:

PPP (Pasta, Pesto, Pine nuts--Wes actually liked this pasta better than Pappardelle duck ragout (did I just say that..yep)

4c6c798f807b804843d91fd474140b53.jpg

Osso Bucco (yes, fell off the bone, mouth watering delish)

83ca30413d6fd9b5c8f663eb8fd873f5.jpg

Ida's desert:

bdd0f338920cf1980262784d9a4f3d84.jpg

Wes's Italian Desert cheese delights:

029661278d8cbe2aa4e4c8a498a8896a.jpg

Tes, and Ida with our superbly 2010 Banfi Excelsus Toscana.

73a845f0784ce6293087f479cf8a563d.jpg

Edited by WesW

Finally to cap one of most enjoyable days (300+) on either Silversea or Regent we headed to the main bar for a nite cap. Jacqueline at Reception took the picture of us before we headed to the main bar (Albert) for some dancing (well Ida) and a some-late nite libations:

c799f8951ac50c0fc7690b8f1c1e6c1d.jpg

b4e30aa6c099519e65ea7bf0193bd9a9.jpg

de1b78b17538b4191abb38304f446590.jpg

3 cabin changes -- and I was dreading just 1. The good news is that if you are changing from one veranda to another, they will just take the drawers and swap them out. If you are changing from Veranda to Silver or vice versa, it's a bit more complicated.

3 cabin changes -- and I was dreading just 1. The good news is that if you are changing from one veranda to another, they will just take the drawers and swap them out. If you are changing from Veranda to Silver or vice versa, it's a bit more complicated.

Across the passage way wasn't so smooth either!!

Rachel, will let Ida know that you covet her shoes and will find out the size. If they are 6 1/2, we can deliver them to your suite if George and you join us on the Cloud Expedition in Ushuaia to Capetown next February :)

Geez, first time for me on a cruise ship (am now in the Wind computer room posting--as our good friend Mr. Silver posted last month when they were on the Wind--you can use the computers at no charge to your account) so I observed a fellow guest in his pj's and bare feet wondering the 4th deck from Le Champagne to end of suite hall. Asked this gentleman if he was lost, he said I am a bit. Immediately took

him to reception to help him get back to his suite. Hope he is OK.

In about two hours we dock in the Paris of the North--Tromso. As our enrichment lecturer, Capt. (Retired) William Wells shared with us, Tromso is about 220 miles from the Arctic Circle and has about 50,000 residents. This is the third largest city in the North Arctic--famed for The Northern Lights. There is no darkness here from April thru August; midnight sun shines from May 21 to July 21.. Capt. Well's must do's: View from the Storsteinen (1386 feet above sea level), visit the Polaria to explore life in and around the polar and Barents regions, and visit the Tromso Botanical gardens. Capt. Wells also let us know Tromso is home to the Northern Arctic's only accredited 18 hold golf course by the PGA.

Ida is walking with the huskies..alas, ocean kayaking was can'xd due to few guests signing up--so instead will do Panoramic Tromso that includes most of Capt. Well's must do's above.

Good morning Tromso!

Colder @ 47F or 8/9C, pls enjoy a few pix and one taken by HotelDirector in fitness room last nite

a0c382d2354466bac804f4f9bdaa2a38.jpg

7bdaa3443005b60f48ddf79a95e52e9f.jpg

04cdf0bf4febb60cc146ddad7ce70534.jpg

ba7930b90d79a220a9554ad995a07431.jpg

An excellent blog, Wes

Looks like you and Ida are having a great time despite the so-so weather.

We were catching up on your stunning pictures last night while listening to the John Williams Birthday Prom - a perfect combination .............. but maybe listening to the Norwegian composer, Grieg, would have been more appropriate :confused:

Wes, we would love that trip on Cloud expedition, and love being with you guys, but we are already booked on Regent Voyager Sydney to Auckland in Feb 2018. So can't do.

Good thing the guy who was lost had pajamas on. George got locked out of our hotel room in England once with only his undershorts. He got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. It was our first night in the hotel, and he went out the wrong door, thinking it was the door to the bathroom!

George got locked out of our hotel room in England once with only his undershorts. He got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. It was our first night in the hotel, and he went out the wrong door, thinking it was the door to the bathroom!
Absolutely hilarious!

Flossie009/David & Susan, Rachel & George, Charles & Elaine, Stumblefoot/Brian & Amy; glad you are enjoying our posts. Rachel did George have his comboy hat on with his bvd's? Charles your Muse itinerary looks like a winner.

Enjoyed a nice Panoramic Tromso tour this morning. We visited three Tromso highlights; Tromso's renowned Arctic Church, Fjellheisen Cable Car trip up to the mountain ledge Storsteinen, and our last highlight was going to the Polar museum.

The Arctic church was designed to fit into the Arctic landscape as you will note in first few photos below. The was last chance for intrepid Norwegian arctic explorers to worship heading out arctic seas, Protestant/Lutheran principally tho other Christian faiths use on occasion. This Church is used for Tromso significant events; weddings, funerals and hundreds of concerts twice daily during the summer season. The church was built after Cuban cruises so their was tension in this European region. Thus, the Tromso architects designed this church with a bomb shelter in. Basement.

The attractive wall of Stained glass has a Christian theme; Jesus flying into heaven on last day hoisted up to heaven by hand of god.

Our next stop was the Fjelllheisen cable car that took us up about 1400 feet where we enjoyed spectacular views of Tromso, clearly seeing this is a large Norwegian island--as you note in the snaps below.

Lastly we visited the most unique museum in Tromso. Polar museum is dedicated in it's real life displays to show Norwegian famed artic adventurers as then lived when they went on expeditions.

Tromso is known as the gateway to the Arctic--many displays showed that seal, whale and polar bear hunting were prominent in Tromso--fifty plus years ago. Polar bears were actively hunted in the 40's and 50's. Please enjoy a few pix.

2e13ebfa86d85bd4eff4b24de35288e4.jpg

b8398052b72d4365e9d4d52c2f94a6dd.jpg

a535fb5c5d81d516b99d3808f2119b86.jpg

d3daa5af5210f3c8086106a603324beb.jpg

918dca482052d0f760569f180941c4de.jpg